Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange rind vs. orange extract?

I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple molasses pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract instead? What should the proportion be? Thanks.

It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple molasses
>pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract instead? What should
>the proportion be? Thanks.
>
> It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.
>
> Lenona.

I suppose you could but the taste won't be the same. Or the texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Why not just find another recipe?

I just thought that one looked nice. Anyway, I'm guessing I'd have to buy an organic orange, since even washing it with soap likely wouldn't take care of the pesticide problem...right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What pesticide problem?!

I'm assuming that ALL non-organic produce is treated with pesticide these days, and that since rind is typically thrown away, the growers wouldn't mind using a pesticide that would permeate the rind at least half-way through or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>

>> What pesticide problem?!

> I'm assuming that ALL non-organic produce is treated with pesticide these
> days, and that since rind is typically thrown away, the growers wouldn't
> mind using a pesticide that would permeate the rind at least half-way
> through or so.

why don't you assume some other stuff while you are at it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:57:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>>I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple molasses
>>pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract instead? What should
>>the proportion be? Thanks.
>>
>> It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.
>>
>> Lenona.

>I suppose you could but the taste won't be the same. Or the texture.

Kind of like baking a taco salad shell, eh?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple molasses
>pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract instead? What should
>the proportion be? Thanks.
>
> It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.
>
> Lenona.

I would use pears instead of apples, and a simple syrup from cane sugar
instead of molasses.

Will you be using rice flower?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 3:16:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple molasses pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract instead? What should the proportion be? Thanks.

Penzey's has dried orange peel, and I'd bet they're not the only ones.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...24/p-1136/pd-s

> It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.

No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>

>> Why not just find another recipe?

> I just thought that one looked nice. Anyway, I'm guessing I'd have to buy
> an organic orange, since even washing it with soap likely wouldn't take
> care of the pesticide problem...right?

Don't you keep it dried? I do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>>

>>> What pesticide problem?!

>> I'm assuming that ALL non-organic produce is treated with pesticide these
>> days, and that since rind is typically thrown away, the growers wouldn't
>> mind using a pesticide that would permeate the rind at least half-way
>> through or so.

> why don't you assume some other stuff while you are at it.

Hehehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:13:12 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:

> Don't use soap, just scrub it with a veg brush in hot water and rinse.
>
> Janet UK

Best way. It's not the pesticide you want to remove it's the waxy film that is often added to make the fruit shine and look attractive. Hot water should remove it.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Many citrus fruits are covered in a thin wax coating to keep them
> fresh longer. A quick scrub takes it off.

The times that I *really* notice wax on fruit or vegetables has been
on cucumbers. Just handling them and my fingers are waxy. I ALWAYS
wash them off in hot water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> Many citrus fruits are covered in a thin wax coating to keep them
>> fresh longer. A quick scrub takes it off.

> The times that I *really* notice wax on fruit or vegetables has been
> on cucumbers. Just handling them and my fingers are waxy. I ALWAYS
> wash them off in hot water.

ewwww I have never noticed that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 6:34:55 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Janet wrote:
> >>
> >> Many citrus fruits are covered in a thin wax coating to keep them
> >> fresh longer. A quick scrub takes it off.

> > The times that I *really* notice wax on fruit or vegetables has been
> > on cucumbers. Just handling them and my fingers are waxy. I ALWAYS
> > wash them off in hot water.

> ewwww I have never noticed that.

Wax is applied mostly to keep the cukes' moisture in. But here,
so-called English cucumbers are shrink-wrapped in plastic
to serve the same purpose.

Maybe you get your cucumbers closer to when they were harvested.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 6:34:55 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:

>> > The times that I *really* notice wax on fruit or vegetables has been
>> > on cucumbers. Just handling them and my fingers are waxy. I ALWAYS
>> > wash them off in hot water.

>> ewwww I have never noticed that.

> Wax is applied mostly to keep the cukes' moisture in. But here,
> so-called English cucumbers are shrink-wrapped in plastic
> to serve the same purpose.
>
> Maybe you get your cucumbers closer to when they were harvested.

I don't know but ours are shrink wrapped.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:17:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?

The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to buy a quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls for half a cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)

I have no idea what else to use buttermilk for, as a rule, and while I COULD get it in powdered form, it would still probably spoil anyway.

In the meantime, I was thinking of making lemon-meringue pie instead - for now, anyway. (I never have, but ever since hearing of how Amelia Bedelia saved the day by making one, I thought it might be fun. Of course, I've EATEN it before...)

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:17:41 PM UTC-4,
> wrote:
>

>> No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?

> The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to buy a
> quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls for half a
> cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)
>
> I have no idea what else to use buttermilk for, as a rule, and while I
> COULD get it in powdered form, it would still probably spoil anyway.
>
> In the meantime, I was thinking of making lemon-meringue pie instead - for
> now, anyway. (I never have, but ever since hearing of how Amelia Bedelia
> saved the day by making one, I thought it might be fun. Of course, I've
> EATEN it before...)
>

> Lenona.

Will you be using orange rind?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 12:25:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:17:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>

> > No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?

> The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to buy a quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls for half a cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)

Celery sticks? Stuffed celery? Stir-fried celery?

Perhaps I should start the BubbaGump Celery company.

> I have no idea what else to use buttermilk for, as a rule, and while I COULD get it in powdered form, it would still probably spoil anyway.

Ranch salad dressing. The Joy of Cooking has a good one, although I
omit the mayonnaise, to save on fat and because I prefer a thinner
dressing. Of course, if I'm going to dip celery sticks in it, I make
it thicker.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 12:25:28 PM UTC-4,
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:17:41 PM UTC-4,
>> wrote:
>>

>> > No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?

>> The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to buy a
>> quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls for half a
>> cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)

> Celery sticks? Stuffed celery? Stir-fried celery?
>
> Perhaps I should start the BubbaGump Celery company.

only one recipe that uses celery per month?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:17:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>

>> No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?

> The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to buy a
> quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls for half a
> cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)
>
> I have no idea what else to use buttermilk for, as a rule, and while I
> COULD get it in powdered form, it would still probably spoil anyway.
>
> In the meantime, I was thinking of making lemon-meringue pie instead -
> for now, anyway. (I never have, but ever since hearing of how Amelia
> Bedelia saved the day by making one, I thought it might be fun. Of
> course, I've EATEN it before...)
>

> Lenona.

You can add vinegar to regular milk to make a great buttermilk substitute
for baking. I do that all the time when I make my quick breads. Google
for the correct ratio.
--
jinx the minx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-16 12:25 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:17:41 PM UTC-4,
> wrote:
>

>> No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?

> The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to
> buy a quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls
> for half a cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)

I don't blame you. Around here a quart of buttermilk runs $2.50 to $3
and most recipes call for one cup. It will keep for a while but that
would mean at least four different recipes to use it up. I used to just
use regular milk and add vinegar in place of buttermilk. Then I
discovered powdered buttermilk. A quarter cup of that and 3/4 cup water
gives me the one cup I need. It isn't exactly cheap, but it is cheaper
than regular buttermilk but, more important, there is no waste.

> I have no idea what else to use buttermilk for, as a rule, and while
> I COULD get it in powdered form, it would still probably spoil
> anyway.

There are lots of things that you can use buttermilk for... cakes,
waffles, pancakes, biscuits, scones, fried chicken ...

> In the meantime, I was thinking of making lemon-meringue pie instead
> - for now, anyway. (I never have, but ever since hearing of how
> Amelia Bedelia saved the day by making one, I thought it might be
> fun. Of course, I've EATEN it before...)

Lemon meringue pie is good and most people like it. I have to chuckle
about my father in law and his lemon meringue pie problems. He didn't
like it. They were at a friend's house for dinner and the wife had made
a lemon meringue pie for dessert. He was a good guest and always had
what was served and made positive remarks. He raved about the woman's
pie, and whenever they ate there she always served lemon meringue pie
because he had liked it so much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 12:25:28 PM UTC-4,
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:17:41 PM UTC-4,
>> wrote:
>>

>> > No buttermilk in your neck of the woods?

>> The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to buy a
>> quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls for half a
>> cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)

> Celery sticks? Stuffed celery? Stir-fried celery?
>
> Perhaps I should start the BubbaGump Celery company.
>
>> I have no idea what else to use buttermilk for, as a rule, and while I
>> COULD get it in powdered form, it would still probably spoil anyway.

> Ranch salad dressing. The Joy of Cooking has a good one, although I
> omit the mayonnaise, to save on fat and because I prefer a thinner
> dressing. Of course, if I'm going to dip celery sticks in it, I make
> it thicker.

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2015 5:13 AM, Janet wrote:
> Don't use soap,

It smells like it, biotch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2015 11:23 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Lemon meringue pie is good and most people like it.

No.

YOU are not in a position to speak for "most people".

Got it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2015 12:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 12:16:03 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple molasses pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract instead? What should the proportion be? Thanks.
>>
>> It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.
>>
>> Lenona.

> These sound like good ideas to me. I made some banana muffins the other day and decided to add some lemon extract to brighten up the flavor. Unfortunately, I used a bit too much in the batter. I said "oops" when I added it in. Hee hee. The batch tasted like lemon muffins, not banana. It was still good eats.

Lemon muffins sound tasty.

I think you just created a food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 12:16:03 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple molasses pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract instead? What should the proportion be? Thanks.
>
> It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.
>
> Lenona.

These sound like good ideas to me. I made some banana muffins the other day and decided to add some lemon extract to brighten up the flavor. Unfortunately, I used a bit too much in the batter. I said "oops" when I added it in.. Hee hee. The batch tasted like lemon muffins, not banana. It was still good eats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2015 12:56 PM, La Llorona wrote:
> On 9/16/2015 12:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 12:16:03 PM UTC-10,
>> wrote:
>>> I was looking at the recipe in Joy of Cooking for steamed apple
>>> molasses pudding. It calls for orange rind. Can I use extract
>>> instead? What should the proportion be? Thanks.
>>>
>>> It also calls for buttermilk - maybe I'll just use yogurt.
>>>
>>> Lenona.

>> These sound like good ideas to me. I made some banana muffins the
>> other day and decided to add some lemon extract to brighten up the
>> flavor. Unfortunately, I used a bit too much in the batter. I said
>> "oops" when I added it in. Hee hee. The batch tasted like lemon
>> muffins, not banana. It was still good eats.
>>

> Lemon muffins sound tasty.
>
> I think you just created a food!

Or maybe re-created one:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-lemo...e-kitchn-19089

Some days we just need something cheery for breakfast, something easy
yet bright and tart. These muffins are a favorite way to welcome the
sun, whether you can see it through the clouds or not. They're soft,
fluffy, and full of lemon, and you don't even need the mixer. That's
what I call award-winning.

The Most Lemony of Lemon Muffins

Makes 12 muffins
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted, optional
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large lemons, zested and juiced
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the lemon syrup:
1/2 cup lemon juice, from the juiced lemons (above)
1/2 cup sugar
Additional lemon zest to garnish, optional
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:01:03 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 12:25:28 PM UTC-4,
>> wrote:

>>> The recipe only called for half a cup or so, and I wasn't about to buy a
>>> quart of it just for that. (Similar peeve: When a recipe calls for half a
>>> cup of celery and it's only available in huge amounts!)

>> Celery sticks? Stuffed celery? Stir-fried celery?
>>
>> Perhaps I should start the BubbaGump Celery company.

>only one recipe that uses celery per month?

I use a lot of celery, goes in Chinese stir frys/soups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2015 9:14 AM, La Llorona wrote:
> On 9/16/2015 12:56 PM, La Llorona wrote:
>> On 9/16/2015 12:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> These sound like good ideas to me. I made some banana muffins the
>>> other day and decided to add some lemon extract to brighten up the
>>> flavor. Unfortunately, I used a bit too much in the batter. I said
>>> "oops" when I added it in. Hee hee. The batch tasted like lemon
>>> muffins, not banana. It was still good eats.
>>>

>> Lemon muffins sound tasty.
>>
>> I think you just created a food!

> Or maybe re-created one:
>
> http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-lemo...e-kitchn-19089
>

> Some days we just need something cheery for breakfast, something easy
> yet bright and tart. These muffins are a favorite way to welcome the
> sun, whether you can see it through the clouds or not. They're soft,
> fluffy, and full of lemon, and you don't even need the mixer. That's
> what I call award-winning.
>
> The Most Lemony of Lemon Muffins
>
> Makes 12 muffins
> 2 1/2 cups flour
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted, optional
> 1 tablespoon baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3 large lemons, zested and juiced
> 1 1/4 cup milk
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> 1 large egg
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>
> For the lemon syrup:
> 1/2 cup lemon juice, from the juiced lemons (above)
> 1/2 cup sugar
> Additional lemon zest to garnish, optional

I'd say that was the most lemony of lemon muffins! Thanks for the recipe!

Orange rind vs. orange extract? Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 7 27-09-2015 12:35 AM
Pare or grate orange rind Doug Weller General Cooking 4 09-12-2010 05:05 PM
Grande Marnier equivalent of orange extract. Thaddeus L Olczyk General Cooking 3 10-12-2006 05:42 PM
Orange Extract Terry General Cooking 10 26-11-2006 01:38 PM
Cutting orange rind - help! Peter B North Preserving 11 07-02-2005 07:36 PM