Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange Extract

I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.

Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better flavor.
The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I guess I am
going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should either come with a
dropper or drip like eye drops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.
>
> Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better flavor.
> The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I guess I am
> going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should either come with a
> dropper or drip like eye drops.

I have NOT tried this, but wouldn't it make sense to dilute half a
bottle or orange extract with water? That way you could pour a little
in your tea without bothering with the dropper. You'd get half water
and half orange extract anyway. (Food chemists, is there a problem with
this plan? Would alcohol work better than water?)

I have tried this:
http://www.celestialseasonings.com/p...nge-spice.html
I don't know if that's the flavor you're after, but I've always been
satisfied with Celestial Seasonings for decaf tea.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.
>
> Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better
> flavor. The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I
> guess I am going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should either
> come with a dropper or drip like eye drops.

Rather than orange extract, why not use a zester and add a little fresh
orange zest in the tea while it brews? You can buy a zester at any store
that sells cooking gadgets

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange Extract in tea

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:51:38 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>> I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.

>I have tried this:
>http://www.celestialseasonings.com/p...nge-spice.html
>I don't know if that's the flavor you're after, but I've always been
>satisfied with Celestial Seasonings for decaf tea.

That tea looks like it would be good. The only problem with that is
Ingles is the only place I shop.

Also, the tea you posted the link to says it is naturally decaf. Does
that mean that they add caffeine to tea?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:25:33 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>> I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.
>>
>> Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better
>> flavor. The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I
>> guess I am going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should either
>> come with a dropper or drip like eye drops.

>Rather than orange extract, why not use a zester and add a little fresh
>orange zest in the tea while it brews? You can buy a zester at any store
>that sells cooking gadgets
>
>Jill

Never heard of Zester. I will give it a look

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 00:28:34 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>"Terry" >
roups.com:

>> I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.
>>
>> Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better flavor.
>> The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I guess I am
>> going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should either come with a
>> dropper or drip like eye drops.

>Get one of those syringes from the vet's office or the drug store. You can
>measure it out and find which cc you like and always have one on hand. I
>always a couple of dozen of them on hand. I'll rinse them out several
>times after use and then discard them. I suppose an eyedropper would be
>fine but do they come with exact measurements? I've never used an
>eyedropper.

About one drop in a glass is all you need. Having anything other than
an eye drop type bottle or a dropper built in would waste more than I
use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> That tea looks like it would be good. The only problem with that is
> Ingles is the only place I shop.
>
> Also, the tea you posted the link to says it is naturally decaf. Does
> that mean that they add caffeine to tea?

No, it means that there is no caffeine in the tea. Are you sure Ingles
doesn't carry Celestial Seasonings? I see them everywhere.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:25:33 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Terry wrote:
>>> I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in
>>> decaf.
>>>
>>> Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better
>>> flavor. The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I
>>> guess I am going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should
>>> either come with a dropper or drip like eye drops.

>> Rather than orange extract, why not use a zester and add a little
>> fresh orange zest in the tea while it brews? You can buy a zester
>> at any store that sells cooking gadgets
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Never heard of Zester. I will give it a look
>
> Thanks

Looks like this:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...rus_Zester.htm

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Nov 2006 15:27:40 -0800, "Terry" > wrote:

>I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.
>
>Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better flavor.
> The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I guess I am
>going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should either come with a
>dropper or drip like eye drops.

I say, add Grand Marnier! <joking for Jani>

I'm sure Constant Comment has a decaf blend and it's flavored with
orange, no?

TammyM ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe wrote:
>> I have NOT tried this, but wouldn't it make sense to dilute half a
>> bottle or orange extract with water? That way you could pour a little
>> in your tea without bothering with the dropper. You'd get half water
>> and half orange extract anyway. (Food chemists, is there a problem with
>> this plan? Would alcohol work better than water?)

> Real orange extract is mostly oils - so it is not water soluble.

No. It isn't. Extracts are tinctures based on alcohol.
They're water soluble.

Orange oil is oil.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I drink decaffeinated tea. There is no orange flavored tea in decaf.
>
> Adding just a little orange extract gives the tea such a better flavor.
> The only problem is that just a little bit is too much. I guess I am
> going to have to get a dropper. The bottles should either come with a
> dropper or drip like eye drops.

Try Constant Comment Decaf.

Pastorio