Peter B North

Default Cutting orange rind - help!

Hi
I wonder if you can help. I know an old lady who makes marmalade but
finds the cutting of the rind hard and tedious work. Can anyone
suggest a gadget, machine, whatever, that might help her out?
She makes about 50 jars a year I think, so it would be useful to her!

Thanks very much.

Peter
George Shirley

Peter B North wrote:
> Hi
> I wonder if you can help. I know an old lady who makes marmalade but
> finds the cutting of the rind hard and tedious work. Can anyone
> suggest a gadget, machine, whatever, that might help her out?
> She makes about 50 jars a year I think, so it would be useful to her!
>

> Thanks very much.
>
> Peter

I use a potato peeler myself. It's still handwork but you can get the
rind without the inner white layer easily.

George

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Peter B North wrote:
> > Hi
> > I wonder if you can help. I know an old lady who makes marmalade but
> > finds the cutting of the rind hard and tedious work. Can anyone
> > suggest a gadget, machine, whatever, that might help her out?
> > She makes about 50 jars a year I think, so it would be useful to her!
> > Thanks very much.
> > Peter

> I use a potato peeler myself. It's still handwork but you can get the
> rind without the inner white layer easily.
> George

I bin thinking about this, arthritis is kicking in. One of us mentioned
something about a single edge curlyque scraper sort of deely for zesting or
peeling fancy lemons. Might work good. I also read a recipe somewhere for
using a food processor and slicing up the whole fruit.. I have a micro
plane that might work for just the peel.
Edrena rambling.

zxcvbob

Peter B North wrote:
> Hi
> I wonder if you can help. I know an old lady who makes marmalade but
> finds the cutting of the rind hard and tedious work. Can anyone
> suggest a gadget, machine, whatever, that might help her out?
> She makes about 50 jars a year I think, so it would be useful to her!
>

> Thanks very much.
>
> Peter

How does she cut it now? Does she use the whole rind, or just the zest?

It might be easiest to find the orange with least bitter pith -- cut
into quarters and remove the seeds*, then slice the oranges peel and all
with a sharp chefs knife or a 2mm slicing disk in a food processor.

If she just uses the zest, a worn-out rusty Ecko potato peeler works
best for me (it works better than a new one because the blade is worn
thin and the edge is a bit jagged.)

*save the seeds, wrap them in a bundle of cheesecloth, and cook them
with the oranges before you add the sugar. Then squeeze the jelly out
of them.

Best regards,
Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote

> > Peter B North wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > I wonder if you can help. I know an old lady who makes marmalade but
> > > finds the cutting of the rind hard and tedious work. Can anyone
> > > suggest a gadget, machine, whatever, that might help her out?
> > > She makes about 50 jars a year I think, so it would be useful to her!
> > > Thanks very much.
> > > Peter

(snip)
> I bin thinking about this, arthritis is kicking in. One of us
> mentioned something about a single edge curlyque scraper sort of
> deely for zesting or peeling fancy lemons. Might work good. I also
> read a recipe somewhere for using a food processor and slicing up the
> whole fruit.. I have a micro plane that might work for just the
> peel. Edrena rambling.

The microplane makes beautiful fluffy zest that seems like it would be
too light for marmalade -- I envision it floating. Then again, I've
never made marmalade, so what do I know?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
Kathi

> The microplane makes beautiful fluffy zest that seems like it would be
> too light for marmalade -- I envision it floating. Then again, I've
> never made marmalade, so what do I know?
> --

ya Barb, really, what do YOU know?!!!

;-)

Kathi

(just kidding, in case anyone took me seriously)

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Thomas H. O'Reilly

I always just use a box grater. You can pick the side that best suits. I
tend to use the smallest size for zest. It keeps me from getting the pith.
But, I hate marmalade.

"Peter B North" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
> I wonder if you can help. I know an old lady who makes marmalade but
> finds the cutting of the rind hard and tedious work. Can anyone
> suggest a gadget, machine, whatever, that might help her out?
> She makes about 50 jars a year I think, so it would be useful to her!
>

> Thanks very much.
>
> Peter

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Kathi"
<katjonatstormdotca> wrote:
> > The microplane makes beautiful fluffy zest that seems like it would be
> > too light for marmalade -- I envision it floating. Then again, I've
> > never made marmalade, so what do I know?
> > --

> ya Barb, really, what do YOU know?!!!
>
> ;-)
>
> Kathi
>
> (just kidding, in case anyone took me seriously)

LOL! But it's true, Kathi! I don't know firsthand diddly about making
marmalade. Never done it. We don't care for bitter marmalades,
although the Gedney folks are just introducing a wonderful sweet orange
marmalade that I love! (Floating fluffy stuff does seem logical to me,
though.) :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
Scott

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> The microplane makes beautiful fluffy zest that seems like it would be
> too light for marmalade -- I envision it floating. Then again, I've
> never made marmalade, so what do I know?

Wouldn't. I tried a regular zester for marmalade purposes, and the
pieces were way too small. I've used the microplane for zesting (works
much better than a "true" zester) and it's even finer.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>