Old 24-09-2015, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange rind vs. orange extract?

On 9/24/2015 2:39 PM, jinx the minx wrote:

Do you have children in elementary school?? I do. I don't take my "little
brat" to McDonald's. If this is your personal observation experience,
that speaks volumes more about your frequent food choice than it does
theirs. After all, how would you know how often that particular family
chose to dine there instead of at home?

Speaking in generalities:
I bet if you dig far enough there are hard statistics. From observation
though, far more parents take their kids to fast food places than other
dining. I hardly ever see as many kids at the mid-level places like
Applebees or local diners.

Old 24-09-2015, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2015 2:39 PM, jinx the minx wrote:

Do you have children in elementary school?? I do. I don't take my "little
brat" to McDonald's. If this is your personal observation experience,
that speaks volumes more about your frequent food choice than it does
theirs. After all, how would you know how often that particular family
chose to dine there instead of at home?

Speaking in generalities:
I bet if you dig far enough there are hard statistics. From observation
though, far more parents take their kids to fast food places than other
dining. I hardly ever see as many kids at the mid-level places like
Applebees or local diners.

You're probably right, parents with small kids may be more likely to take
them to McDonald's vs other places, but it's a stretch to say parents are
more likely to be taking their kids to McDonald's than feeding them at
home, as ds1 surmised.
--
jinx the minx
Old 24-09-2015, 11:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-24, jinx the minx wrote:

You're probably right, parents with small kids may be more likely to take
them to McDonald's vs other places, but it's a stretch to say parents are
more likely to be taking their kids to McDonald's than feeding them at
home, as ds1 surmised.

That's prolly the reason where I live. Salida CO lost it Burger King,
Taco Bell, and KFC, all in the same Summer. Buena Vista, our other
small burg, never had 'em due to its ban on all fast food joints.
Subway somehow got in, but no others are allowed to exist in BV, to
this very day.

nb
Old 24-09-2015, 11:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-24, jinx the minx wrote:

You're probably right, parents with small kids may be more likely to take
them to McDonald's vs other places, but it's a stretch to say parents are
more likely to be taking their kids to McDonald's than feeding them at
home, as ds1 surmised.

That's prolly the reason where I live. Salida CO lost it Burger King,
Taco Bell, and KFC, all in the same Summer. Buena Vista, our other
small burg, never had 'em due to its ban on all fast food joints.
Subway somehow got in, but no others are allowed to exist in BV, to
this very day.

Awesome, wish there was more of it.
Old 25-09-2015, 12:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-24, Jeus wrote:

Awesome, wish there was more of it.

The downside? You gotta actually know how to cook!

I've been jonesing fer burgers, of late. None of the mom/pop restos
makes a good one, so hadda make my own. Mine are awesome, but gotta
try this super tender sous vide steak madness.

Homemade pizza is my next project.

nb

Old 25-09-2015, 09:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-24, Jeus wrote:

Awesome, wish there was more of it.

The downside? You gotta actually know how to cook!

I've been jonesing fer burgers, of late. None of the mom/pop restos
makes a good one, so hadda make my own. Mine are awesome, but gotta
try this super tender sous vide steak madness.

Homemade pizza is my next project.

He won't see this but that is his loss) Sous vide is great, but you have
to choose your stuff. Mine is fairly new and for a while I tried everything
in it. I have to say that everything is very tender but some things are
better cooked on the hob.

The absolutely BEST thing it does, is to cook tough meat, especially beef!
It makes it fork tender. I will never cook those any other way now) As
for other stuff, it is up to the individual to try them out)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 27-09-2015, 12:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-24, Jeus wrote:

Awesome, wish there was more of it.

The downside? You gotta actually know how to cook!

True

I've been jonesing fer burgers, of late. None of the mom/pop restos
makes a good one, so hadda make my own.

I'm with you there. I've been craving an 'old-fashioned' burger too.

Mind you, they would be significantly different to what you have in
mind: something along the lines of a (shop made) beef pattie with
lettuce, onion, tomato and canned sliced beetroot - there are other
extras too if wanted - egg, bacon, a ring or canned pineapple...
Cooked at the local corner takeaway store owned by Greeks or
Italians... they were once an institution in Australia. Getting to be
increasingly rare now. I still know of one in my nearest city though.

Mine are awesome, but gotta
try this super tender sous vide steak madness.

I might try that one day. I do a lot of slow cooking so I guess sous
vide isn't such a priority for me.

Homemade pizza is my next project.

Better build a wood fired oven for the pizza

Orange rind vs. orange extract? [email protected] General Cooking 203 27-09-2015 11:29 PM
Pare or grate orange rind Doug Weller General Cooking 4 09-12-2010 05:05 PM
Grande Marnier equivalent of orange extract. Thaddeus L Olczyk General Cooking 3 10-12-2006 05:42 PM
Orange Extract Terry General Cooking 10 26-11-2006 01:38 PM
Cutting orange rind - help! Peter B North Preserving 11 07-02-2005 07:36 PM