Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pare or grate orange rind

I've got a recipe for venison stew that says pare the orange rind and cut
into strips. What would be the difference if I just grated it (besides the
obvious, that I wouldn't have strips to add a bit of texture).
Thanks
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 7:57*pm, Doug Weller >
wrote:
> I've got a recipe for venison stew that says pare the orange rind and cut
> into strips. What would be the difference if I just grated it (besides the
> obvious, that I wouldn't have strips to add a bit of texture).

Just shut up and make venison stew. Or don't you know how?

> Thanks
> Doug
> --
> Doug Weller --
> A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'athttp://www.hallofmaat.com
> Doug's Archaeology Site:http://www.ramtops.co.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07 Dec 2010 20:45:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 07 Dec 2010 12:57:37p, Doug Weller told us...
>
>> I've got a recipe for venison stew that says pare the orange rind
>> and cut into strips. What would be the difference if I just grated
>> it (besides the obvious, that I wouldn't have strips to add a bit
>> of texture). Thanks
>> Doug

>In some recipes that call for strips of orange rind, it is intended
>that they be removed before serving as they have already given up their
>flavor to the dish.

Right in one.

While one might put orange zest (microplaned) into a pound cake, the
orange peel (think lemon twist in a martini) adds color to the
presentation when used in stews, but it is not really intended to be
eaten.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:49 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Chemiker wrote:

>On 07 Dec 2010 20:45:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue 07 Dec 2010 12:57:37p, Doug Weller told us...
>>
>>> I've got a recipe for venison stew that says pare the orange rind
>>> and cut into strips. What would be the difference if I just grated
>>> it (besides the obvious, that I wouldn't have strips to add a bit
>>> of texture). Thanks
>>> Doug

>>In some recipes that call for strips of orange rind, it is intended
>>that they be removed before serving as they have already given up their
>>flavor to the dish.

>Right in one.
>
>While one might put orange zest (microplaned) into a pound cake, the
>orange peel (think lemon twist in a martini) adds color to the
>presentation when used in stews, but it is not really intended to be
>eaten.

True, but in thin strips in the venison stew I made, they added to color
and taste. Orange juice, brandy and venison (haunch), not what I would
have thought of myself but delicious.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:20:13 +0000, Doug Weller
> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:49 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Chemiker wrote:
>
>>On 07 Dec 2010 20:45:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>While one might put orange zest (microplaned) into a pound cake, the
>>orange peel (think lemon twist in a martini) adds color to the
>>presentation when used in stews, but it is not really intended to be
>>eaten.
>>

>True, but in thin strips in the venison stew I made, they added to color
>and taste. Orange juice, brandy and venison (haunch), not what I would
>have thought of myself but delicious.

"Thin strips" are an intermediate case, I guess. 1/4" strips would be
a bit much, but, like you, I sometimes make a sauce-espagnole type
thing for beef, with a tablespoon of concentrated OJ and a tbs of thin
orange zest strips (like 1 mm), and everybody eats the orange.

Alex

Orange rind vs. orange extract? [email protected] General Cooking 203 27-09-2015 11:29 PM
Orange rind vs. orange extract? Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 7 27-09-2015 12:35 AM
cheese and rind RichD General Cooking 8 26-06-2007 10:27 AM
I Don't Mind the Rind dwacon General Cooking 5 17-01-2006 08:17 AM
Cutting orange rind - help! Peter B North Preserving 11 07-02-2005 07:36 PM