Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Fine for AC

On 7/8/2015 12:33 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 12:17:11 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> Unbelievably, I just saw a tip on the Today Show, put a 10 pound
>> bag of rice in the freezer and take it out for a cool pillow,
>> just put it into a case.
>>
>> I think you've started a trend.

> You can make your own bedding evaporative cooler, too...you take a top
> sheet and dampen it - washer and spin cycle is perfect for this - plop
> it on top and aim a fan at the bed.
>
> Works well. I have even used it while traveling overseas in hot
> climates in hotel rooms that only had a ceiling fan.

Oh, I'll keep that in mind, you never know when your a/c
will conk out, no doubt on a long holiday weekend of record
breaking temps.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 16:06:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 7/8/2015 12:33 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 12:17:11 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> Unbelievably, I just saw a tip on the Today Show, put a 10 pound
>>> bag of rice in the freezer and take it out for a cool pillow,
>>> just put it into a case.
>>>
>>> I think you've started a trend.

>> You can make your own bedding evaporative cooler, too...you take a top
>> sheet and dampen it - washer and spin cycle is perfect for this - plop
>> it on top and aim a fan at the bed.
>>
>> Works well. I have even used it while traveling overseas in hot
>> climates in hotel rooms that only had a ceiling fan.

>Oh, I'll keep that in mind, you never know when your a/c
>will conk out, no doubt on a long holiday weekend of record
>breaking temps.
>
>nancy

We've used it when we've lost power after a NJ boiling hot summer
day's thunderstorm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2015 6:23 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
One of the many Mexican immigrants Donald Trump labeled as ‘rapists,’
has a message for the presidential candidate. While working for his very
survival in sweltering heat, the laborer fired back at Trump showing him
what the daily lives of thousands of immigrants consists of. Although
the Republican candidate may think otherwise, there are no drugs in this
video, and the only violence is the hammering of stakes into the dirt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 3:01 PM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/9/2015 6:23 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> One of the many Mexican immigrants

Bodine FRAUD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 12:07 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 06:07:17 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I have two streams running through my property. I used to keep the lawn
>>> trimmed right up to the edge. Over the last few years I have left a
>>> swath along both sides of the rearmost waterway because there were some
>>> milkweed plants there. The milkweed has thrived and I am counting on it
>>> being a habitat for Monarch butterflies. I was surprised when my wife
>>> told me she had never seen a Monarch caterpillar or chrysalis. Maybe
>>> this year.

>> Huh. I thought Monarch butterlfies were on the west coast.
>>

> They're all over the place and go down as far as the Northern part of
> South America. Google Monarch Migration Route and look at the maps in
> Google Images.

I'll check it out, thanks. Lots of people confuse Monarchs butterflies
with Viceroy's. They look a lot alike.

There are lots of butterflies around here right now. I especially like
the yellow and black swallow tails but there are some lovely black ones
with bright blue spots, too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 12:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 06:13:00 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know about outdoor events, but some of the restaurants around
>> here have misting systems for outdoor patio dining in the summer. I
>> bought a mister system for my patio back in TN. I attached it to the
>> fence. I enjoyed sitting outside reading. It made everything feel much
>> cooler. No fence here, so I can't use the mister system.

> Just curious. Why can't it be attached to the gutters (of your house)
> that surround the patio?

There isn't a gutter on the wall that runs along the patio.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:45:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/8/2015 12:10 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 06:13:00 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know about outdoor events, but some of the restaurants around
> >> here have misting systems for outdoor patio dining in the summer. I
> >> bought a mister system for my patio back in TN. I attached it to the
> >> fence. I enjoyed sitting outside reading. It made everything feel much
> >> cooler. No fence here, so I can't use the mister system.

> > Just curious. Why can't it be attached to the gutters (of your house)
> > that surround the patio?
> >

> There isn't a gutter on the wall that runs along the patio.

That's too bad. I'd be hesitant to put holes in the outer wall too.
Clips on a gutter, fine. Holes in a wall, nope.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 6:32 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:45:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/2015 12:10 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Just curious. Why can't it be attached to the gutters (of your house)
>>> that surround the patio?
>>>

>> There isn't a gutter on the wall that runs along the patio.
>>

> That's too bad. I'd be hesitant to put holes in the outer wall too.
> Clips on a gutter, fine. Holes in a wall, nope.

Yep, it would be different if there was an overhang or something to
attach it to. The apartment fence was one thing. This is totally
different.

Even if I wanted to nail it to the wall, all that would succeed in doing
is getting the patio doors wet. Any breeze at all would blow the water
into the glass doors, not onto the patio where I like to sit. I just
wait for comfortable weather.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We haven't seen Monarchs around my yard in three years, even though I have tons of flowers, butterfly bushes and milkweed. Four years ago, my butterfly bushes were full of them, it was fun to come out in the morning and see so many Monarchs at the same time. I think I read that they are being killed off by something. We don't use any insecticide on our property as it is a registered wildlife habitat.

This afternoon, while measuring our pool for a new liner, the pool guy asked me about the Registered Wildlife Habitat sign in my yard. I told him that when the animals and bugs read it they know it's a safe place to live. He said, "Sounds like a good idea". Umm, I'm not quite sure if he thinks the animals can actually read the sign. This week we had a beautiful adult male Red Fox and a mom and baby Porcupine roaming through my herb garden.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 6:32 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:45:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/2015 12:10 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Just curious. Why can't it be attached to the gutters (of your house)
>>> that surround the patio?
>>>

>> There isn't a gutter on the wall that runs along the patio.
>>

> That's too bad. I'd be hesitant to put holes in the outer wall too.
> Clips on a gutter, fine. Holes in a wall, nope.

Buy one of those stands for hanging pots or bird feeders.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 06:13:00 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know about outdoor events, but some of the restaurants around
>> here have misting systems for outdoor patio dining in the summer. I
>> bought a mister system for my patio back in TN. I attached it to the
>> fence. I enjoyed sitting outside reading. It made everything feel much
>> cooler. No fence here, so I can't use the mister system.

> Just curious. Why can't it be attached to the gutters (of your house)
> that surround the patio?

Some can. Saw a post about this on the Snohomish County community page on
Facebook. Guy said he bought a system at a place in Snohomish for less than
$20. Amazon sells them too. They work with your garden hose. People said
to use a light colored hose or the water would come out hot. Apparently
they are good for outdoor pets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/8/2015 12:33 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 12:17:11 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> Unbelievably, I just saw a tip on the Today Show, put a 10 pound
>>> bag of rice in the freezer and take it out for a cool pillow,
>>> just put it into a case.
>>>
>>> I think you've started a trend.

>> You can make your own bedding evaporative cooler, too...you take a top
>> sheet and dampen it - washer and spin cycle is perfect for this - plop
>> it on top and aim a fan at the bed.
>>
>> Works well. I have even used it while traveling overseas in hot
>> climates in hotel rooms that only had a ceiling fan.

> Oh, I'll keep that in mind, you never know when your a/c
> will conk out, no doubt on a long holiday weekend of record
> breaking temps.

You can buy cooling towels, pillows, scarves...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/8/2015 6:32 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:45:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> There isn't a gutter on the wall that runs along the patio.
>>>

>> That's too bad. I'd be hesitant to put holes in the outer wall too.
>> Clips on a gutter, fine. Holes in a wall, nope.
>>

> Buy one of those stands for hanging pots or bird feeders.

Or just get the unit like I have. The smaller one is around $200 and would
be perfect for one person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:04:30 -0500, DreadfulBitch
>> > wrote:

>>> A perfect example of a HOA running amok.

>> Here in California, we are in an extreme drought situation.
>> The State has mandated extreme conservation measures, and
>> many cities are trying to get people to replace grass lawns
>> with drought tolerant landscaping, OR artificial turf.
>>
>> Some HOAs were fining home-owners for replacing their lawns.
>> It went so far that the State passed a law prohibiting them
>> from fining people. Just signed by the Governor a day ago.
>>
>> http://www.nbcsandiego.com/video/#!/...awns/276226541

> The first artificial turf I saw outside of a sports area or driving range
> was in CA. Some people here are looking into that because we too have drought.
>
> When we were house hunting, we saw a house near here that had no lawn
> whatever in the back. Just a series of plantings, cement and rocks. My
> husband liked it because he wouldn't have to mow much. The front yard
> was small and mostly cement. I guess if done right, things like that can
> look nice. I just didn't think this did. House was owned by an elderly
> German couple and there were lawn gnomes everywhere. And with Angela
> being little, I wanted a place for her to play.

Look nice but gets hot. Contributes to global warming.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 9:15 PM, Janet B wrote:

> I've been thinking about getting registered for that. I admit that I
> was a bit perturbed when my tender rose buds on bushes planted lasted
> year (the ones that hadn't bloomed for me and almost succumbed to
> winter kill) were neatly nipped off by the pretty dear. They ate my
> whole crop of buds
> Janet US

I was cat-sitting for a neighbor a few years back and also watering her
many hanging and outdoor potted plants. She had just planted some
gorgeous red flowers - hibiscus, I think. I dragged the hose to the
back to water them and there was nothing but stems... and hoof-prints in
the soil. Ooops!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 9:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/8/2015 6:32 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:45:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> There isn't a gutter on the wall that runs along the patio.
>>>

>> That's too bad. I'd be hesitant to put holes in the outer wall too.
>> Clips on a gutter, fine. Holes in a wall, nope.
>>

> Buy one of those stands for hanging pots or bird feeders.

A shepherd's hook? I have one. I don't know how that would that help
with a misting system.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2015 12:53 AM, gregz wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:04:30 -0500, DreadfulBitch

>>> Here in California, we are in an extreme drought situation.
>>> The State has mandated extreme conservation measures, and
>>> many cities are trying to get people to replace grass lawns
>>> with drought tolerant landscaping, OR artificial turf.
>>>
>>> Some HOAs were fining home-owners for replacing their lawns.
>>> It went so far that the State passed a law prohibiting them
>>> from fining people. Just signed by the Governor a day ago.
>>>
>>> http://www.nbcsandiego.com/video/#!/...awns/276226541

>> The first artificial turf I saw outside of a sports area or driving range
>> was in CA. Some people here are looking into that because we too have drought.
>>
>> When we were house hunting, we saw a house near here that had no lawn
>> whatever in the back. Just a series of plantings, cement and rocks. My
>> husband liked it because he wouldn't have to mow much. The front yard
>> was small and mostly cement. I guess if done right, things like that can
>> look nice. I just didn't think this did. House was owned by an elderly
>> German couple and there were lawn gnomes everywhere. And with Angela
>> being little, I wanted a place for her to play.

> Look nice but gets hot. Contributes to global warming.
>

> Greg

Lawns contribute to regional water shortages.

I'll take the slight warming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 10:43:33 -0600, Acme Bully Control
> wrote:

>On 7/8/2015 10:33 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 12:17:11 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> Unbelievably, I just saw a tip on the Today Show, put a 10 pound
>>> bag of rice in the freezer and take it out for a cool pillow,
>>> just put it into a case.
>>>
>>> I think you've started a trend.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> You can make your own bedding evaporative cooler, too...you take a top
>> sheet and dampen it - washer and spin cycle is perfect for this - plop
>> it on top and aim a fan at the bed.
>>
>> Works well. I have even used it while traveling overseas in hot
>> climates in hotel rooms that only had a ceiling fan.
>>

>Next day the maid has you as a bedwetter...

Yeah...maybe YOU pee upwards. I do not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2015 8:26 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I was cat-sitting for a neighbor a few years back

I find that cats despise being sat upon, ymmv.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:26:10 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/8/2015 9:15 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>
>> I've been thinking about getting registered for that. I admit that I
>> was a bit perturbed when my tender rose buds on bushes planted lasted
>> year (the ones that hadn't bloomed for me and almost succumbed to
>> winter kill) were neatly nipped off by the pretty dear. They ate my
>> whole crop of buds
>> Janet US
>>

>I was cat-sitting for a neighbor a few years back and also watering her
>many hanging and outdoor potted plants. She had just planted some
>gorgeous red flowers - hibiscus, I think. I dragged the hose to the
>back to water them and there was nothing but stems... and hoof-prints in
>the soil. Ooops!
>
>Jill

Yum-E!
Smart little devils
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2015 11:25 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:26:10 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/2015 9:15 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about getting registered for that. I admit that I
>>> was a bit perturbed when my tender rose buds on bushes planted lasted
>>> year (the ones that hadn't bloomed for me and almost succumbed to
>>> winter kill) were neatly nipped off by the pretty dear. They ate my
>>> whole crop of buds
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I was cat-sitting for a neighbor a few years back and also watering her
>> many hanging and outdoor potted plants. She had just planted some
>> gorgeous red flowers - hibiscus, I think. I dragged the hose to the
>> back to water them and there was nothing but stems... and hoof-prints in
>> the soil. Ooops!
>>
>> Jill

> Yum-E!
> Smart little devils
> Janet US

They know what they like to eat, that's for sure. Likely they have a
pretty sharp sense of smell. I haven't seen many deer around my house
this year. Last year and prior years they were all over the place.
They'd walk up to my patio even though I don't grow any yummy flowering
plants. Just checking things out, I guess.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 1:41 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 13:08:28 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It's a bit ridiculous for a home owners association to fine people for
>>> having window AC's... unless the people who put them in ignored
>>> existing
>>> rules and did it anyway. Even with that, it's a heat wave. People
>>> need
>>> to stay cool. Wait until it's over before you go around fining people
>>> for trying to be comfortable.
>>>
>>> Very young, elderly and ill people die all the time due to not even
>>> having a simple fan in the house. Seems like every year on the news
>>> there is a call for people to donate fans to those who don't have AC.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> seems to me the letter could say something like 'we understand that
>> due to abnormal heat, some of our residents have had to resort to
>> window air conditioners. These units are against the HOA rules,
>> however, due to special circumstances, the units will be allowed.
>> Please understand that these units must be removed by August 31 or
>> fines will ensue.'
>> Janet US
>>

> I completely agree, Janet. That would make much more sense than the
> HOA Board (who were probably enjoying central AC while discussing this
> in the meeting) immediately fining people for trying to stay cool for
> a few months.

It's called legal precedent. Once you provide a loophole, or ignore
violators, you've essentially voided your rule. Future enforcement
actions will simply end up being argued that it was previously
permitted, and since it was permitted, if it ends up in court, the
court will rule against the HOA.

There are two types of people who buy into HOA-run developments: those
who never bother to read the rules (why bother - the rules won't apply
to them), and those whose are looking for a place where they can use
rules against *everyone else*. Thus the now-routine screaming and
bitching when the resident is to told to obey the rules. Look, the
whole reason you moved there was because you *liked* the idea that
people couldn't just do whatever they wanted. That doesn't apply to
just the people around you, it applies to *you*, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:42:39 AM UTC-4, Acme Bully Control wrote:

> Lawns contribute to regional water shortages.

Not my lawn. It's a pleasant mix of various weeds and grass.
The only time I water is when I'm reseeding an area after some
project has stripped it to bare dirt.

If it's green and flat, it's a lawn.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:32:14 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/8/2015 9:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 7/8/2015 6:32 PM, sf wrote:

> >> That's too bad. I'd be hesitant to put holes in the outer wall too.
> >> Clips on a gutter, fine. Holes in a wall, nope.
> >>

> > Buy one of those stands for hanging pots or bird feeders.

> A shepherd's hook? I have one. I don't know how that would that help
> with a misting system.

I think he's saying you could use more than one to imitate a fence
line and string the misters between them.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:36:07 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> There are two types of people who buy into HOA-run developments: those
> who never bother to read the rules (why bother - the rules won't apply
> to them), and those whose are looking for a place where they can use
> rules against *everyone else*. Thus the now-routine screaming and
> bitching when the resident is to told to obey the rules. Look, the
> whole reason you moved there was because you *liked* the idea that
> people couldn't just do whatever they wanted. That doesn't apply to
> just the people around you, it applies to *you*, too.

Wrong! There are also the people who read it, understood it, agreed
with the rules and expect the HOA board of directors to protect them
from those who didn't read them or think their personal circumstances
are valid exceptions to the HOA rules. I agree with the HOA issuing
warning letters to those who installed window units within sight line
of the street. Julie was wrong about who was affected and has no idea
what the wording is in the HOA rules, so speculation about putting one
in the back of the house is ok or not is just that: speculation. It
could be within the rule to install window units at the back at the
house or maybe they can get away with it as long as the neighbors
don't object. Nobody knows what it says at this point and I don't
care enough to find out, but you can bet that someone here who is
vehemently anti-HOA will try to find it and will post it here if they
do.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2015 11:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:42:39 AM UTC-4, Acme Bully Control wrote:
>
>> Lawns contribute to regional water shortages.

> Not my lawn. It's a pleasant mix of various weeds and grass.
> The only time I water is when I'm reseeding an area after some
> project has stripped it to bare dirt.

That's Michigan.

I'm in the desert southwest.

> If it's green and flat, it's a lawn.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Here we go cacti and gravel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2015 3:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:32:14 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/2015 9:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>>
>>> Buy one of those stands for hanging pots or bird feeders.

>> A shepherd's hook? I have one. I don't know how that would that help
>> with a misting system.
>>

> I think he's saying you could use more than one to imitate a fence
> line and string the misters between them.

That would just be weird.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 19:02:37 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/9/2015 3:57 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:32:14 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> A shepherd's hook? I have one. I don't know how that would that help
> >> with a misting system.
> >>

> > I think he's saying you could use more than one to imitate a fence
> > line and string the misters between them.
> >

> That would just be weird.

Nobody is saying it would be pretty, just that it would work.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2015 10:13 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 19:02:37 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/9/2015 3:57 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I think he's saying you could use more than one to imitate a fence
>>> line and string the misters between them.
>>>

>> That would just be weird.
>>

> Nobody is saying it would be pretty, just that it would work.

He'll just have to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKhN1t_7PEY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:36:07 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There are two types of people who buy into HOA-run developments: those
>>> who never bother to read the rules (why bother - the rules won't apply
>>> to them), and those whose are looking for a place where they can use
>>> rules against *everyone else*. Thus the now-routine screaming and
>>> bitching when the resident is to told to obey the rules. Look, the
>>> whole reason you moved there was because you *liked* the idea that
>>> people couldn't just do whatever they wanted. That doesn't apply to
>>> just the people around you, it applies to *you*, too.
>>>

>> Wrong! There are also the people who read it, understood it, agreed
>> with the rules and expect the HOA board of directors to protect them
>> from those who didn't read them or think their personal circumstances
>> are valid exceptions to the HOA rules. I agree with the HOA issuing
>> warning letters to those who installed window units within sight line
>> of the street. Julie was wrong about who was affected and has no idea
>> what the wording is in the HOA rules, so speculation about putting one
>> in the back of the house is ok or not is just that: speculation. It
>> could be within the rule to install window units at the back at the
>> house or maybe they can get away with it as long as the neighbors
>> don't object. Nobody knows what it says at this point and I don't
>> care enough to find out, but you can bet that someone here who is
>> vehemently anti-HOA will try to find it and will post it here if they
>> do.

> I was wrong about what? I merely reposted the article. I did not make
> any such comments about putting something at the back of the house or
> anywhere else.

I guess somebody didn't read it properly.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:57:22 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message

> >> Wrong! There are also the people who read it, understood it, agreed
> >> with the rules and expect the HOA board of directors to protect them
> >> from those who didn't read them or think their personal circumstances
> >> are valid exceptions to the HOA rules. I agree with the HOA issuing
> >> warning letters to those who installed window units within sight line
> >> of the street. Julie was wrong about who was affected and has no idea
> >> what the wording is in the HOA rules, so speculation about putting one
> >> in the back of the house is ok or not is just that: speculation. It
> >> could be within the rule to install window units at the back at the
> >> house or maybe they can get away with it as long as the neighbors
> >> don't object. Nobody knows what it says at this point and I don't
> >> care enough to find out, but you can bet that someone here who is
> >> vehemently anti-HOA will try to find it and will post it here if they
> >> do.

> > I was wrong about what? I merely reposted the article. I did not make
> > any such comments about putting something at the back of the house or
> > anywhere else.

> I guess somebody didn't read it properly.

I replied directly to what he had to say. It's all there. S/he says
there are two types of people, I say there are three. I also said all
this back & forth about the supposed heavy handedness of an HOA-run
development is based on the writer's personal dislike of the idea, not
what was actually in the agreement.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 4:53:48 PM UTC-4, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/9/2015 11:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:42:39 AM UTC-4, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> >
> >> Lawns contribute to regional water shortages.

> > Not my lawn. It's a pleasant mix of various weeds and grass.
> > The only time I water is when I'm reseeding an area after some
> > project has stripped it to bare dirt.

> That's Michigan.

Well, yeah. I'm xeriscaping for my local conditions.
Plenty of people and almost all businesses water their
lawns hereabouts. I think it's wasteful, even though \
we have plenty of water.

> I'm in the desert southwest.
>
> > If it's green and flat, it's a lawn.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Here we go cacti and gravel.

Ok, if it's brown and flat, it's a lawn.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 07:14:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 4:53:48 PM UTC-4, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>> > Not my lawn. It's a pleasant mix of various weeds and grass.
>> > The only time I water is when I'm reseeding an area after some
>> > project has stripped it to bare dirt.

>> That's Michigan.

>Well, yeah. I'm xeriscaping for my local conditions.
>Plenty of people and almost all businesses water their
>lawns hereabouts. I think it's wasteful, even though \
>we have plenty of water.
>
>> I'm in the desert southwest.
>>
>> > If it's green and flat, it's a lawn.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> Here we go cacti and gravel.

>Ok, if it's brown and flat, it's a lawn.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

My neighbor just finished xeriscaping. We had toad strangler rain
storms the last two days. My yard and garden are now getting flooded
because they didn't plan for runoff placement. And they placed their
downspout hose pointing toward my place. I had streams of water
running down my property washing trenches and carrying away my plants.
The street filled with water, overflowed curbing and all that water
ran over my place. I'm sorry folks. You're going to have to spend a
whole lot more money re-configuring your grounds to eliminate the
flooding problem. Their property no longer absorbs water because they
put weed barrier beneath the gravel.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2015 10:37 AM, Janet B wrote:

> My neighbor just finished xeriscaping. We had toad strangler rain
> storms the last two days. My yard and garden are now getting flooded
> because they didn't plan for runoff placement. And they placed their
> downspout hose pointing toward my place. I had streams of water
> running down my property washing trenches and carrying away my plants.
> The street filled with water, overflowed curbing and all that water
> ran over my place. I'm sorry folks. You're going to have to spend a
> whole lot more money re-configuring your grounds to eliminate the
> flooding problem. Their property no longer absorbs water because they
> put weed barrier beneath the gravel.

Arggh! Did they put regular solid plastic? Not the kind for
weeds? Have they figured out they have to change it yet?

Some woman a couple of towns over from me had her yard
completely paved. Uh, no, you can't pave your whole
property, only some percentage. She had to have it taken
out. I'm sure she wasn't pleased but I'm sure she didn't
consider runoff.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 11:39:12 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> Some woman a couple of towns over from me had her yard
> completely paved. Uh, no, you can't pave your whole
> property, only some percentage. She had to have it taken
> out.
>
> nancy

Every year when I begin mowing I always think how nice
it would be to have my yard paved in green concrete and
green Astroturf laid over that.

:-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-10, Nancy Young > wrote:

> completely paved. Uh, no, you can't pave your whole
> property, only some percentage.

Howzabout if they put in a swimming pool?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 10:38:09 AM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:

> My neighbor just finished xeriscaping. We had toad strangler rain
> storms the last two days. My yard and garden are now getting flooded
> because they didn't plan for runoff placement. And they placed their
> downspout hose pointing toward my place. I had streams of water
> running down my property washing trenches and carrying away my plants.
> The street filled with water, overflowed curbing and all that water
> ran over my place. I'm sorry folks. You're going to have to spend a
> whole lot more money re-configuring your grounds to eliminate the
> flooding problem. Their property no longer absorbs water because they
> put weed barrier beneath the gravel.
> Janet US

Most municipal authorities have regulations about diverting
rainwater off one's property and onto a neighbor's.
It might be worth it for you to inquire.

Cindy Hamilton

Fwd: OT Fine for AC sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-11-2015 05:52 AM
fine pulp Mark[_22_] Winemaking 3 30-11-2008 04:00 PM
Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny? [email protected] Winemaking 5 12-05-2006 04:26 AM
A fine Wine for a fine dinner Thurston Howell III Wine 2 13-03-2005 09:09 PM