Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Silly Question -- How do YOU eat sardines?

The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
Enquiring minds want to know.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:38:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

snip

>Never buy the boneless/skinless variety of any sardine.
>
>-sw

why?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

I like them right out of the can, I prefer them in oil, but do like the ones
that are packed in mustard.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-14 04:11:50 +0000, Janet B said:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.

I sometimes find the French/Spanish ones purportedly canned on the
ships. The have them in a lot of curious flavors when you can find
them, but the flavors aren't real intense.

On a fresh baguette with a little room-temp butter.
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 9:11:56 PM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:
> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

I eat our Brunswick sardines right out of the can with a fork. I usually have them with buttered bread or buttered toast. Canadian sardines are really great and have always been my favorite. They come packed in oil or water as well as tomato and I believe another, perhaps mustard, I just don't remember.

Just Google for Brunswick sardines for more info.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

I don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 10:11:56 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?

On saltine crackers.

> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?

In oil. And the brand I always used to see was 'Possum.'

> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:38:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>Never buy the boneless/skinless variety of any sardine.
>>
>>-sw

> why?
> Janet US

You're not getting all of the calcium which is the reason to eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.

Don't eat them often but when I do, I like the ones packed in mustard.
I eat some right out of the can and some I'll put on saltines.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 2:33:31 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 00:25:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Janet B" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:38:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> snip

> >> why?
> >> Janet US

> >You're not getting all of the calcium which is the reason to eat them.

> I always fillet canned sardines.

I buy the ones with bones, but remove the bones (and guts if there are any),
then eat them straight. I'd never buy them packed in soy oil. Usually,
it's water packed, but occasionally mustard because I ate those as a child.

I like these too.
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Camps-Natu.../dp/B00H4HUVO2

As soon as I send this, I'm opening a can.

> --
> Bruce

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 2:25:27 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet B" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:38:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:
> >
> > snip
> >>
> >>Never buy the boneless/skinless variety of any sardine.
> >>
> >>-sw

> > why?
> > Janet US

> You're not getting all of the calcium which is the reason to eat them.

I guess if my body was a complete trainwreck like Julie's, and I couldn't
tolerate dairy, maybe I'd eat fish bones.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2015 10:11 PM, Janet B wrote:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

Not silly at all. I prefer mine in olive oil and on saltines.
--
bill_n
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4:57:23 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Janet B wrote:
> >
> > The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> > What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> > Enquiring minds want to know.

> Don't eat them often but when I do, I like the ones packed in mustard.
> I eat some right out of the can and some I'll put on saltines.

I used to take sardines in mustard sauce and saltines to grade school for
lunch. It freaked out some of the other kids, which made it extra good.

> G.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 5:27:57 AM UTC-6, billn wrote:
> On 2/13/2015 10:11 PM, Janet B wrote:
> >
> > The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> > What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> > Enquiring minds want to know.
> > Janet US
> >

> Not silly at all. I prefer mine in olive oil and on saltines.

The ones in olive oil are pricey. It costs a few cents more to use good
olive oil than shitty soy oil, but they charge 2 dollars more for them.

> --
> bill_n

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 21:11:50 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
>What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
>Enquiring minds want to know.
>Janet US

On crackers, generally.

I used to take them for lunch in elementart school sometimes, and I
loved grossing out the other kids by holding each one up by it's
little fishy tail and lowering it into my waiting mouth!! Nom Nom
Nom!! :-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-14 04:11:50 +0000, Janet B said:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

With a fork. Straight from the can. Usually standing at the sink.
Sometimes with bread to sop up the liquid.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B > wrote in
:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

On crackers. King Oscar in olive oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
>What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
>Enquiring minds want to know.
>Janet US

Well I don't anymore, I'm prone to gout and there's nothing worse.

But back in the day I'd eat them on a good grade of bread along side -
or in - a salad. And tried all the varieties, that's part of the fun.
TJ's is advertising one now that sounds so good ... grrrr.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 00:20:52 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:52:19 -0700, Janet B wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:38:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>>Never buy the boneless/skinless variety of any sardine.
>>>

>> why?

>Of the three brands I've tried, they all sucked royally. Worse than
>canned chunk light tuna.
>
>CostCo sells (sold?) a brand. They came in a 5-pack shrink-wrapped
>together.

snip
>I fell for it, too. I bought a 5-pack, but I returned the other 4 for
>my money back. That way Costco gets some feedback about how bad the
>product was.

snip
>-sw

Interesting. You must be right about disappointed Costco customers or
I don't think Costco would be selling them online.
I just bought and enjoyed the Costco 5-pack, skinless/boneless
sardines. They were so meaty that I wondered if anyone made
sandwiches with them. I have always eaten the regular sardines packed
in mustard sauce but I've been pretty disappointed in them lately.
I'm making sourdough bread tomorrow and I'm planning on a sardine
sandwich with the fresh bread. I like eating sardines either with a
fork out of the can or chunks spread on a cracker. They are at
towards the bottom of the fishy food chain so there is less mercury
but still all the omega-3 fatty acids.
I had expected that this group would have other preparations for
canned sardines, but only one in that category so far.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

Tiny brislings in sild, on buttered Russian black bread, pumpernickle,
or a bialy... okay on saltines but much better on egg matzo.
I also enjoy these, on a bed of iceberg, sliced cukes, and sliced
onion with a squeeze of lemon and washed down with icy vodka...
luscious! Great right out of the can, scarffed down with pickled eggs
and brewskies... these used to be called Herring in Tomato Sauce but
there became a severe shortage of herring.
http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Sardines-.../dp/B001SAZIZS
Goya has great canned seafood:
http://www.goya.com/english/product_...ed-Products#68
There are infinite types/brands of canned sardines, I've probably
tried most. I enjoy all kinds of canned seafood... jack mackerel,
even kippered snacks omelet. Someone oughta make a canned sardine
loaf like SPAM... this is good:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=453447

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My dad liked kipper snacks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 11:45:06 AM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 00:20:52 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
> >On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:52:19 -0700, Janet B wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:38:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> snip

> >> why?

> >Of the three brands I've tried, they all sucked royally. Worse than
> >canned chunk light tuna.
> >
> >CostCo sells (sold?) a brand. They came in a 5-pack shrink-wrapped
> >together.

> snip
> >I fell for it, too. I bought a 5-pack, but I returned the other 4 for
> >my money back. That way Costco gets some feedback about how bad the
> >product was.

> snip
> >-sw

> Interesting. You must be right about disappointed Costco customers or
> I don't think Costco would be selling them online.
> I just bought and enjoyed the Costco 5-pack, skinless/boneless
> sardines. They were so meaty that I wondered if anyone made
> sandwiches with them. I have always eaten the regular sardines packed
> in mustard sauce but I've been pretty disappointed in them lately.
> I'm making sourdough bread tomorrow and I'm planning on a sardine
> sandwich with the fresh bread. I like eating sardines either with a
> fork out of the can or chunks spread on a cracker. They are at
> towards the bottom of the fishy food chain so there is less mercury
> but still all the omega-3 fatty acids.
> I had expected that this group would have other preparations for
> canned sardines, but only one in that category so far.

Just like with salmon, a lot of the Omega 3 is in the skin.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 12:04:38 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 10:28:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> With a fork. Straight from the can. Usually standing at the sink.
>> Sometimes with bread to sop up the liquid.

>And usually with the lid still partially attached. Because sardine
>juice and oil can splatter all over the place in that split second
>when the lid completely detaches itself from the can.
>
>-sw

Yeah. Got all over my sleeve just now
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 10:39:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>My dad liked kipper snacks.

I love those too.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

snip

>Just like with salmon, a lot of the Omega 3 is in the skin.
>>
>> Janet US

>--Bryan

Can you give me a cite on this? I wasn't able to find anything that
pinpointed the O3s.
Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-14 3:34 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>>>

>> Just like with salmon, a lot of the Omega 3 is in the skin.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> --Bryan

> Can you give me a cite on this? I wasn't able to find anything that
> pinpointed the O3s.

Hell, it was easy enough. Google sardine omega 3 and you get numermous
hits citing the Omega 3 content of sardines.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:39:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-02-14 3:34 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>>
>>> Just like with salmon, a lot of the Omega 3 is in the skin.

>>> --Bryan

>> Can you give me a cite on this? I wasn't able to find anything that
>> pinpointed the O3s.
>>

>Hell, it was easy enough. Google sardine omega 3 and you get numermous
>hits citing the Omega 3 content of sardines.

Omega3 is not in the skin, it's in the subcutaneous fat under the
skin... fish skin is so much roughage/'fiber'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 12:00:53 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:34:22 -0800 (PST),
> wrote:
>
> > In oil. And the brand I always used to see was 'Possum.'

> Great brand name for canned meat!

Ain't it the truth! I can see that can as clearly as if one were sitting in front of me now. An opossum hanging upside down from it's tail on a slender tree limb.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkin...us_sardine.php

> -sw

I can't get that site to open; I left it to do it's thing while I put clean sheets on the bed but still did not open. That Possum brand used to be 10¢ a can and the last time I saw them several years ago they were well over $1 a can. I thought with that price maybe there was some lobster in that tin as well!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/13/2015 08:11 PM, Janet B wrote:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Janet US

I fork-mash 'em a little bit at a time in the can in the oil they came
in. Sometimes add a shot of soy sauce or hot sauce, then spread on
Saltines, a dab of CYM optional. Repeat ad lib.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-14, Janet B > wrote:

> The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?

Crackers. Saltines, to be exact. Jes bought a tin of King Oscar
sardines in EEVO and they're excellent.

I waited, cuz I wanted to be sure. Yes, it's King Oscar that has been
around since dirt and stilll sells real N. Atlantic sardines. It's
the Chinese brand, Crown Prince, that tricked my brain into buying
'em. Yuk. Taste very metallic.

I also like sardine banh mi's.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 3:16:47 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:39:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2015-02-14 3:34 PM, Janet B wrote:
> >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> >>
> >> snip

> >> Can you give me a cite on this? I wasn't able to find anything that
> >> pinpointed the O3s.
> >>

> >Hell, it was easy enough. Google sardine omega 3 and you get numermous
> >hits citing the Omega 3 content of sardines.

> Omega3 is not in the skin, it's in the subcutaneous fat under the
> skin... fish skin is so much roughage/'fiber'.

OK, Sheldon, but when they remove the skin, the subcutaneous fat goes with
it, Mr. Smarty-pants.

BUT, fish skin is NOT "fiber." Animals don't have "fiber."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Hell, it was easy enough. Google sardine omega 3 and you get numermous
>>> hits citing the Omega 3 content of sardines.

>> Omega3 is not in the skin, it's in the subcutaneous fat under the
>> skin... fish skin is so much roughage/'fiber'.

>"So I did some research on salmon skin.
>The salmon’s fat is in the layer just beneath the skin.

That's exactly what I said... google "subcutaneous".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
JRStern > wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 21:11:50 -0700, Janet B >
> wrote:
>

> >The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
> >What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
> >Enquiring minds want to know.
> >Janet US

> Well I don't anymore, I'm prone to gout and there's nothing worse.
>
> But back in the day I'd eat them on a good grade of bread along side -
> or in - a salad. And tried all the varieties, that's part of the fun.
> TJ's is advertising one now that sounds so good ... grrrr.
>
> J.

I used to eat sardines all the time, usually right out of the can,
sometimes on saltines, sometimes on bread. A friend once sold me a dozen
or three that he'd picked up in NYC. These were spicy and extremely
tasty. I'd saute' them and eat them with pasta.

Then I had my first gout attack. Don't know if was the sardines, but my
doc gave me a list things to avoid. Gout is awful and I've been
unwilling to risk it since. (Sigh)

Dave W.
In the Ozarks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:32:19 -0600, Dave W >
wrote:

>In article >,
> JRStern > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 21:11:50 -0700, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
>> >What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
>> >Enquiring minds want to know.
>> >Janet US

>> Well I don't anymore, I'm prone to gout and there's nothing worse.
>>
>> But back in the day I'd eat them on a good grade of bread along side -
>> or in - a salad. And tried all the varieties, that's part of the fun.
>> TJ's is advertising one now that sounds so good ... grrrr.
>>
>> J.

>I used to eat sardines all the time, usually right out of the can,
>sometimes on saltines, sometimes on bread. A friend once sold me a dozen
>or three that he'd picked up in NYC. These were spicy and extremely
>tasty. I'd saute' them and eat them with pasta.
>
>Then I had my first gout attack. Don't know if was the sardines, but my
>doc gave me a list things to avoid. Gout is awful and I've been
>unwilling to risk it since. (Sigh)

Fresh fish, or herring/sardines even not fresh, are just about the
worst things. I thought fresh trout would be OK - but nooooooo.
Strangely enough canned salmon is not that bad. Beer is also very
bad, I guess because yeast ounce for ounce is horrible.

You can Google the lists and numbers.

I can deal with almost anything else in moderation. And yet, they say
that like with cholesterol it's not even so much what you eat, as your
body produces and manages it (purines, uric acid) at least 2/3 by
itself. But my attacks have generally been associated with some evil
thing I ate because I didn't know it was on the list.

It ain't no fun at all once you get it. Character building, I
suppose.

J.

>Dave W.
>In the Ozarks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-14 17:24, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Omega3 is not in the skin, it's in the subcutaneous fat under the
>>> skin... fish skin is so much roughage/'fiber'.

>> "So I did some research on salmon skin.
>> The salmon’s fat is in the layer just beneath the skin.

> That's exactly what I said... google "subcutaneous".

How about I google leaving out the second half of a quote.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:39:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-02-14 3:34 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>>
>>> Just like with salmon, a lot of the Omega 3 is in the skin.

>>> --Bryan

>> Can you give me a cite on this? I wasn't able to find anything that
>> pinpointed the O3s.
>>

>Hell, it was easy enough. Google sardine omega 3 and you get numermous
>hits citing the Omega 3 content of sardines.

I thought had I trimmed Bryan's post enough to indicate that I was
interested in the 'skin' part. And I mean skin specifically.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 21:11:50 -0700, Janet B >
> wrote:
>

>>The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
>>What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
>>Enquiring minds want to know.
>>Janet US

> On crackers, generally.
>
> I used to take them for lunch in elementart school sometimes, and I
> loved grossing out the other kids by holding each one up by it's
> little fishy tail and lowering it into my waiting mouth!! Nom Nom
> Nom!! :-)

I liked the story of Frances. I think she was a badger. Actually there
were several books about her. In one story she would only eat bread and
jam. But then the day came when she decided to bring a hard boiled egg to
school for lunch and she tucked a cloth napkin and a salt shaker into her
lunch box. I could not wait for the day when my mom would let me bring my
lunch. And that wasn't often.

I couldn't manage the cloth napkin although I did try. I think we only had
the one set. Only used for holiday meals. So packed the next best thing
which was a decorative handkerchief given to me by my grandma. I whipped
that out, spread it out on my desk, then the egg still in its shell and the
salt shaker. Heh. That did attract attention!

But the most attention ever came from some kids who lived two blocks over.
The boy my age was named Kelly. He had a brother who was my brother's age
named Perry. And there was a sister whose age was in between the two. One
day they all had a Hostess chocolate pie in their lunch. I had never even
seen one before! My dad did sometimes bring home Hostess products because
there was a Hostess outlet on his way home from work but we only ever go the
fruit pies.

I can't remember now what all else was in the lunch. I know there were a
few smaller things, all of them sweets. Like maybe a cookie and a small
piece of candy. But nothing of substance.

We began whispering behind Kelly's back. We all assumed that he must have
packed his own lunch. But no! He told us that his mom made it!

Word spread to the playground and soon we confirmed that the brother and
sister had the same exact lunch! It never occurred to me until much later
that they may not have had any other food in the house to send in the
lunches. I guess I'll never know for sure.

My brother was friends with the brother for a time. I remember him getting
in trouble for giving his watch to the boy. Why? Because the boy didn't
have one. I used to do the same sort of thing. I guess we figured if we
had two of something, we might as well give one to someone else who didn't
have one. Anyway... He spent the night over there once and came home to
excitedly report how they ate popcorn. The mom had popped some in a pan
then passed out bowls of it. Also also sticks of butter which were likely
really margarine. Each person had their own stick on a plate and they took
the popcorn, kernel by kernel, passing it over the stick before putting it
in their mouth. Blech!

I find it interesting to see how some people eat. I once spent the night at
the neighbor's next door and they were an interesting bunch to say the
least. The mom said she could talk to spirits (last I read she was a
minister at some odd church on one of the islands here) and that their
oldest child who died with a purple heart would come in the night to flush
their toilet. I was told that the dad had a steel plate in his head. To
me, a plate was a dinner plate so I always pictured him like that.

Wasn't until fairly recently that we learned that all of the many kids they
had were really foster kids. I always wondered because many of them had odd
names. So odd that I won't even mention them here lest they read this post!
And they bore no resemblance to each other. The one who was a year younger
than me told me that their dad would get a job at some factory just long
enough to steal stuff then he'd quit. She said he had done it with Fritos
and some kind of toothpaste.

In the kitchen, they had a metal garbage can (the outdoor lidded kind) full
of potatoes. They also had flour, Karo syrup and a case of Baby Ruth bars.
We ate Baby Ruths for dinner. As many as we wanted. For breakfast, my
friend attempted to make flour and water pancakes. I protested and said I
would go home for some eggs and real syrup but when my mom got wind of that
she had me stay home.

They were also constantly "borrowing" things from us and the other
neighbors. Once, one of the kids came asking for soap. When my mom asked
what kind, she said "any kind". So my mom gave her a bar of bath soap.
They used it for everything. Dishes, laundry, bathing... It got to where
everyone else in the neighborhood bought specific, cheap things to keep just
for them when they went "borrowing" because they didn't want the kids to
suffer.

They moved away one night with no warning. Tons of damage had been done to
that house. And we were all pretty glad they were gone!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2015-02-14 3:34 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>>
>>> Just like with salmon, a lot of the Omega 3 is in the skin.

>>> --Bryan

>> Can you give me a cite on this? I wasn't able to find anything that
>> pinpointed the O3s.
>>

> Hell, it was easy enough. Google sardine omega 3 and you get numermous
> hits citing the Omega 3 content of sardines.

They're always recommended on diabetic menus and it says to eat with the
skin and bone. No thank you!

I once had a coworker with arthritis ask me to open her can for her. I
refused. She then told me that if I didn't, she couldn't eat her lunch. To
which I replied, "And if I do, you still won't eat your lunch because the
minute I see them, I'll start to vomit".

I went to lunch with a friend once and she ordered a sardine sandwich. Even
she was shocked when all of the sardines were plopped down on the bread,
eyes and all. I had to look away as she ate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 3:16:47 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:39:13 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >Hell, it was easy enough. Google sardine omega 3 and you get numermous
>> >hits citing the Omega 3 content of sardines.

>> Omega3 is not in the skin, it's in the subcutaneous fat under the
>> skin... fish skin is so much roughage/'fiber'.

> OK, Sheldon, but when they remove the skin, the subcutaneous fat goes with
> it, Mr. Smarty-pants.
>
> BUT, fish skin is NOT "fiber." Animals don't have "fiber."

Porcupines do.