Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery savings today.

On 8/1/2014 12:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message

>> On 7/31/2014 12:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Daughter has been
>>> drinking the energy drinks but she's only allowed to have a couple of
>>> ounces at a time. Her friend drank a whole one and it landed her in the
>>> hospital. My friend's son did the same at about the same age and he too
>>> wound up in the hospital.

>> Why on earth would a teen your child's age need an energy drink,
>> especially if the children of friends ended up in the hospital from
>> drinking a "whole one"?

> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't
> get it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

Whenever I see you write something about "here" as in how everyone does
things differently where you are, I often think of it as another planet.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:23:04 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't get
>
> it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

I live "here" in WA. Your daughter definitely does not need energy drinks.
Nobody does. It's crap, it's bad for your body as is soda. Water is what yo drink for thirst and a healthy body. Fresh clean food is what you eat for nourishment to feed the body, and exercise like walking around and playing outside etc., is what you do to keep the body healthy.

We live in one of the best places in the world for outside activities. Go outside and get some activity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-01 6:07 PM, Cheryl wrote:

>> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't
>> get it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

> Whenever I see you write something about "here" as in how everyone does
> things differently where you are, I often think of it as another planet.

I think perhaps "here" is Boveland, where most things take a surreal and
unbelievable twist from reality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 5:07 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 12:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't
>> get it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

> Whenever I see you write something about "here" as in how everyone does
> things differently where you are, I often think of it as another planet.

A planet where the oxygen level is very, very low.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 4:38 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> I tend to get a craving for something I haven't had for a while... then
> I go nuts and have it all the time... then something else replaces it.
>
> Here lately... Pho. Used to have it all the time then not so much. Got
> the mood for it last week and tried a new restaurant and it was great!
> Can't wait to go back tomorrow.

A Thai/Vietnamese restaurant opened here a couple of months ago. The
food is wonderful. The name of the restaurant is Pho. I wanted to Yelp
it but I didn't see it up yet.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 5:07 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 12:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Why on earth would a teen your child's age need an energy drink,
>>> especially if the children of friends ended up in the hospital from
>>> drinking a "whole one"?

>> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't
>> get it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

> Whenever I see you write something about "here" as in how everyone does
> things differently where you are, I often think of it as another planet.

The Seattle area *is* another planet.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, August 1, 2014 3:30:40 PM UTC-7, Janet Wilder wrote:

> The Seattle area *is* another planet.

LOL !!! nah, it's just the Left Coast. hehehehehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-01 6:30 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 5:07 PM, Cheryl wrote:

>>> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't
>>> get it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

>> Whenever I see you write something about "here" as in how everyone does
>> things differently where you are, I often think of it as another planet.
>>

> The Seattle area *is* another planet.

And Julie is one of its moons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"barbie gee" > wrote in message
ghcrg.pbz...

> snip
>>>

>>> Somehow I don't think the journals you read advised providing caffeine
>>> children and pre-teens. Giving kids stimulants, or any other
>>> non-necessary medications or drugs is just wrong.

>>Says who? We have discussed caffeine with my daughter's Drs. When she
>>was
>>a toddler, the Dr. said she could have one diet drink per day and caffeine
>>was fine. She did have a medical problem later that could have been
>>exacerbated by caffeine. So she was told not to have any more than one
>>caffeine containing beverage per day. We have since discovered that we'd
>>been barking up the wrong tree there but caffeine can be an irritant to
>>the
>>urinary system. Otherwise, there is no problem. Unless of course you
>>have
>>some other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it.
>>Kids
>>were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She drank it!
>>And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind you're
>>likely to get at tea would.

> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
> Janet US

The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She
didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her having
much milk or juice. What other option is there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 9:35 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>>> crg.pbz...
>>>>

>> snip

>>> Says who? We have discussed caffeine with my daughter's Drs. When she
>>> was
>>> a toddler, the Dr. said she could have one diet drink per day and
>>> caffeine
>>> was fine. She did have a medical problem later that could have been
>>> exacerbated by caffeine. So she was told not to have any more than one
>>> caffeine containing beverage per day. We have since discovered that
>>> we'd
>>> been barking up the wrong tree there but caffeine can be an irritant to
>>> the
>>> urinary system. Otherwise, there is no problem. Unless of course you
>>> have
>>> some other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it.
>>> Kids
>>> were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She drank
>>> it!
>>> And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind
>>> you're
>>> likely to get at tea would.

>> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
>> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
>> Janet US
>>

> You're beating a dead horse, Janet. Julie buys soda pop in huge
> quantities so of course she's looking for justification.

Actually, no. The Dr. put her on a specific diet at age two. She had gone
from being seriously underweight at age 1 to a little overweight at age 2.
The Dr. hoped to nip it in the bud but the specific diet she put her on
simply didn't work in that regard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't know why *anyone* buys that stuff, much less for a teenager.
>>>
>>> http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...rgy_drinks.php
>>>
>>> Or
>>>
>>> http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm
>>>
>>> And
>>>
>>> http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058349

>> Yep. That's why she only has 2 oz. at a time. We here love our
>> caffeine! And teenagers live on the stuff. In my day we only had
>> caffeine pills.

> sure. you measure out an eighth of a cup for her (2oz.).
>
> How many "at a times"?

Not hard to measure at all. We pretty much measure all of our food here.
I'm diabetic. I have to. We own all sorts of regular and disposable items
in all different sizes. No need to use the measuring cup for food any more
although I did do that at one point. For drinks, we have paper cups in my
different sizes. Very easy to do.

There was a time when I measured out water and took note of how much each
bowl, cup, etc, held. We all know now which is which. I won't have to buy
Montel Williams little dieting containers. I already know the sizes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> Kids shouldn't be "tired" or need to "stay awake". How about they get a
> good nights sleep, like they should be? I swear there should be mandatory
> parenting classes before people can reproduce.

We're not talking kids. We're talking teens. And if you think this isn't
so, you're deluding yourself.

> The next time you see a dirtbaby in an umbrella stroller, sucking on a
> baby bottle full of Cola, and clutching a bag of Cheetos, think of this
> thread.

I've never seen what you are talking about. Ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 7:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>>> crg.pbz...
>>>>

>> snip

>>> Says who? We have discussed caffeine with my daughter's Drs. When
>>> she was
>>> a toddler, the Dr. said she could have one diet drink per day and
>>> caffeine
>>> was fine. She did have a medical problem later that could have been
>>> exacerbated by caffeine. So she was told not to have any more than one
>>> caffeine containing beverage per day. We have since discovered that
>>> we'd
>>> been barking up the wrong tree there but caffeine can be an irritant
>>> to the
>>> urinary system. Otherwise, there is no problem. Unless of course
>>> you have
>>> some other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it.
>>> Kids
>>> were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She
>>> drank it!
>>> And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind
>>> you're
>>> likely to get at tea would.

>> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
>> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
>> Janet US

> The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She
> didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her
> having much milk or juice. What other option is there?

Find another doctor. I honestly don't know how you encounter these quacks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 11:59 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 8/1/2014 8:56 AM, barbie gee wrote:
>>
>>> Kids shouldn't be "tired" or need to "stay awake". How about they get a
>>> good nights sleep, like they should be? I swear there should be
>>> mandatory parenting classes before people can reproduce.

>> I am giving you a standing ovation!
>>

> Ditto that!
>
> When most of us were kids, we ran around and played outside. We rode our
> bicycles, we roller skated. Physical activity is important. I was very
> active, which stimulated my mind and body but also allowed me to get a
> good nights sleep.

The world is a different place now though. Send a kid out to do that in
this neighborhood and they'll likely be hit by a car. Being outside in the
sun is also not good for you. My daughter has always been physically
active. She was in gymnastics at 3 and started dance at 5. When we lived
in NY, we were outside all the time, weather permitting. We had two hop
balls in different sizes, a package of professional jump ropes in various
lengths, hoola hoops and moon shoes. The kids were constantly active.

I never found that physical activity gave me a good night's sleep. Instead
the opposite. I would get too worn out and have sore muscles and then I
couldn't sleep. Certainly didn't stimulate the mind either. Instead it
dulled it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 6:55 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>
>>> The energy drinks are hot with young people, they can not get enough of
>>>
>>> them. It can not be healthy for a person.
>>>

>> What do you base that on? The sugar free ones are fine.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> --Bryan

> Guarana seeds make me shake like Michael Jackson on his wedding night, I
> would not give that to any of my children.

No guarana in the drinks that she bought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 4:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Nope. You missed the point she doesn't need 2 oz. of energy drink.

>> Ohhh yes she does!!!

> Then you should rethink your/her life style. Mankind flourished for
> thousands of years with no energy drinks.

And they didn't have to do all that we do now.

> If you need artificial help to stay awake, you are not sleeping properly.
> It is unhealthy.

Well then change the schooling. Because they are giving out enough homework
to where the kids have to stay up to midnight to finish it.

Didn't say it was healthy. Just the way it is. It was that way when I was
in high school too. And that was back in the 70's. Obviously I wasn't
sleeping. But I could either sleep or work. And I was required to work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 4:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> My dad even did the same before me. He often worked two jobs and went
>> to school. Just because you didn't do something doesn't make others who
>> did it abnormal.

> Ingesting chemicals to make it through the day is abnormal. Unhealthy,
> dangerous.
>
> The occasional cup of coffee is one thing, but to "need" energy drinks to
> survive is crazy.

This is just getting comical. Obviously you people are not surrounded by
people holding Starbucks cups or energy drinks. I am. Perhaps if you lived
in an area with little sun, you'd feel the same. We are still in the midst
of unseasonably high temps. Almost 90 today and no sun. No sun does make
you droopy. And mostly we have no sun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> I never knew all this about energy drinks, but I don't drink them so I
> don't pay much attention to the news about them. My nephew drinks those
> things like water, but he's grown and on his own. I know he was drinking
> them in his teens, though. I guess he's lucky.

Most teens do drink them. At least here. I had not let her have them for
years, despite all the begging. I finally let her have one when she
promised to just taste it and not have over 2 ounces. And she has been good
to do that. She actually didn't like some of the brands/flavors that she
bought so this will likely be short lived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> Whenever I see you write something about "here" as in how everyone does
> things differently where you are, I often think of it as another planet.

I really do think the PNW is different. I think Washington probably has
more in common with Oregon and California than any other states. I did not
feel out of place there. I did in NY and on Cape Cod. Such a totally
different world in those places. Everything was different. The food, the
water, the way people dressed and the things that they did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:23:04 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't
> get
>
> it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

I live "here" in WA. Your daughter definitely does not need energy drinks.
Nobody does. It's crap, it's bad for your body as is soda. Water is what
yo drink for thirst and a healthy body. Fresh clean food is what you eat
for nourishment to feed the body, and exercise like walking around and
playing outside etc., is what you do to keep the body healthy.

We live in one of the best places in the world for outside activities. Go
outside and get some activity.

---

I am very much not an outdoor person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 7:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> snip

>>> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
>>> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
>>> Janet US

>> The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She
>> didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her
>> having much milk or juice. What other option is there?

> Find another doctor. I honestly don't know how you encounter these
> quacks.

What? She was 2. We lived in CA. We haven't lived there for 12 years.
And as I have said countless times before, we did not get good medical care
in CA. That was not for the lack of trying on my part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 7:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:23:04 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just
>> don't get
>>
>> it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

> I live "here" in WA. Your daughter definitely does not need energy drinks.
> Nobody does. It's crap, it's bad for your body as is soda. Water is
> what yo drink for thirst and a healthy body. Fresh clean food is what
> you eat for nourishment to feed the body, and exercise like walking
> around and playing outside etc., is what you do to keep the body healthy.
>
> We live in one of the best places in the world for outside activities.
> Go outside and get some activity.
>
> ---
>
> I am very much not an outdoor person.

I think she meant Angela, not you.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 1, 2014 5:15:56 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 7:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> >> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> snip

> >> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children

> >> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.

> >> Janet US

> > The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She

> > didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her

> > having much milk or juice. What other option is there?

> Find another doctor. I honestly don't know how you encounter these quacks.
>

> Jill

Exactly...you took the words from my mouth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-01 19:17, Julie Bove wrote:

> I never found that physical activity gave me a good night's sleep.
> Instead the opposite. I would get too worn out and have sore muscles
> and then I couldn't sleep. Certainly didn't stimulate the mind either.
> Instead it dulled it.

Bending over to tie your shoes for the first time in 4 years is not
exercise. It is just as start.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-01 19:15, jmcquown wrote:

>> The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She
>> didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her
>> having much milk or juice. What other option is there?

> Find another doctor. I honestly don't know how you encounter these quacks.
>
>C'mon Jill. Let's face it. We can't believe anything Julie says. No way

would a doctor say it is good for a teen to be drinking energy drinks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-01 19:09, Julie Bove wrote:

> Actually, no. The Dr. put her on a specific diet at age two. She had
> gone from being seriously underweight at age 1 to a little overweight at
> age 2. The Dr. hoped to nip it in the bud but the specific diet she put
> her on simply didn't work in that regard.

Congratulations for overcoming the underwieght. The picture I saw of her
reminded me of the hippo in a tutu in Fantasia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 6:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>>> crg.pbz...
>>>>

>> snip

>>> Says who? We have discussed caffeine with my daughter's Drs. When
>>> she was
>>> a toddler, the Dr. said she could have one diet drink per day and
>>> caffeine
>>> was fine. She did have a medical problem later that could have been
>>> exacerbated by caffeine. So she was told not to have any more than one
>>> caffeine containing beverage per day. We have since discovered that
>>> we'd
>>> been barking up the wrong tree there but caffeine can be an irritant
>>> to the
>>> urinary system. Otherwise, there is no problem. Unless of course
>>> you have
>>> some other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it.
>>> Kids
>>> were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She
>>> drank it!
>>> And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind
>>> you're
>>> likely to get at tea would.

>> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
>> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
>> Janet US

> The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She
> didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her
> having much milk or juice. What other option is there?

Kool Ade where you control the amount of sweetener. I made it with
1/4 of the sugar required on the package and they liked it.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 9:41 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 6:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> snip

>>> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
>>> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
>>> Janet US

>> The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She
>> didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her
>> having much milk or juice. What other option is there?

> Kool Ade where you control the amount of sweetener. I made it with
> 1/4 of the sugar required on the package and they liked it.

Juice diluted with water is a good choice, too, unless there was a
strict reason for no juice at all. I suspect it was just for the
fructose, though.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 8/1/2014 7:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:23:04 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just
>>> don't get
>>>
>>> it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

>> I live "here" in WA. Your daughter definitely does not need energy
>> drinks.
>> Nobody does. It's crap, it's bad for your body as is soda. Water is
>> what yo drink for thirst and a healthy body. Fresh clean food is what
>> you eat for nourishment to feed the body, and exercise like walking
>> around and playing outside etc., is what you do to keep the body healthy.
>>
>> We live in one of the best places in the world for outside activities.
>> Go outside and get some activity.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I am very much not an outdoor person.
>>

> I think she meant Angela, not you.

She's the same as me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 7:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> This is just getting comical. Obviously you people are not surrounded
> by people holding Starbucks cups or energy drinks. I am.

Sorry to hear that, but just because others do i does not mean it is OK
to follow the crowd.

Perhaps if
> you lived in an area with little sun, you'd feel the same. We are still
> in the midst of unseasonably high temps. Almost 90 today and no sun.

We have little sun in the winter and I don't increase my rather modest
caffeine intake or fall asleep. Get some full spectrum lights and it
will help.

> No sun does make you droopy.

You need that $40 bra I guess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 8/1/2014 9:41 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Juice diluted with water is a good choice, too, unless there was a strict
> reason for no juice at all. I suspect it was just for the fructose,
> though.

Actually no. Juice is really pretty bad for you. Lemon, lime and tomato
being the exception. She was only allowed 4 oz. of juice per day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 9:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-08-01 19:17, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I never found that physical activity gave me a good night's sleep.
>> Instead the opposite. I would get too worn out and have sore muscles
>> and then I couldn't sleep. Certainly didn't stimulate the mind either.
>> Instead it dulled it.

Yeah, that's rather obvious.

> Bending over to tie your shoes for the first time in 4 years is not
> exercise. It is just as start.

LOL Dave.

The thing about exercise... when you start out doing it when you're
*young* (as in, from the time you can walk and run) through play, etc.
you don't have sore muscles. You don't even think about sore muscles.
You had fun, out playing with your friends! You got exercise without
even thinking about it.

Prolonged *inactivity* and then suddenly putting yourself through some
strenuous physical activity will certainly make your unused muscles feel
sore. That's because you haven't been using them. (As usual, YMMV.)

I still don't understand the need for the energy drink for a teenager.
One cannot blame this on the Seattle area, sorry. It's a parental area.
I don't have to have kids to know it's a bad idea.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 9:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2014-08-01 19:17, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I never found that physical activity gave me a good night's sleep.
>>> Instead the opposite. I would get too worn out and have sore muscles
>>> and then I couldn't sleep. Certainly didn't stimulate the mind either.
>>> Instead it dulled it.

> Yeah, that's rather obvious.
>
>> Bending over to tie your shoes for the first time in 4 years is not
>> exercise. It is just as start.

> LOL Dave.
>
> The thing about exercise... when you start out doing it when you're
> *young* (as in, from the time you can walk and run) through play, etc. you
> don't have sore muscles. You don't even think about sore muscles. You had
> fun, out playing with your friends! You got exercise without even
> thinking about it.

You might not. I always have. My mom told me I was born with some kind of
weak muscle condition but she doesn't know what it was. Would have been
nice had she looked into this further instead of just taking the Drs. advice
which was to put me in dance. I have never been able to run very well. My
legs just give out on me. And now with the fibromyalgia, I have to be
extremely careful not to overdo or I'll pay for it for two weeks.

You may have gone out running around with your friends but I never did. We
played dolls, house, we cooked things. Once in a while we played a lame
game of ball with the boys but as we lived in a fairly small cul-de-sack, we
had to devise our own rules. Quite often, all of us were all up in the
neighbor's treehouse which wasn't built in a tree at all. Just an elevated
small building, or out in our camper. We did have to walk to school and to
the store but other than that there wasn't much walking and pretty much no
running. My dad couldn't abide any wild or loud play.

> Prolonged *inactivity* and then suddenly putting yourself through some
> strenuous physical activity will certainly make your unused muscles feel
> sore. That's because you haven't been using them. (As usual, YMMV.)

Indeed.

> I still don't understand the need for the energy drink for a teenager. One
> cannot blame this on the Seattle area, sorry. It's a parental area. I
> don't have to have kids to know it's a bad idea.

You don't have kids Jill. You don't know. That's how teens are and I think
pretty much everywhere from what I've seen on my Facebook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Then you should rethink your/her life style. Mankind flourished for
>>> thousands of years with no energy drinks.

>> And they didn't have to do all that we do now.

> oh no, they just had to wake up early to do the chores, walk to school, do
> their school stuff, walk back home, then help with more home or farm
> chores, and then finish their homework and do more chores and then get to
> bed.

Not all kids woke up early to do chores. Or lived on a farm. They also
didn't have the Internet or technical things that they were required to
learn. At one school here (not the one where my daughter goes), they are
assigned Ipads and they must use them each night for specific work that is
turned in through the Ipad.

School was much, much easier when I was in it. I had precious little
homework. Now they have tons, even on the weekends. At least in this schol
district.

> All the stuff "that we do now" is manufactured extra-curricular BS, that
> you probably drive her to and from. Kids today are over-scheduled, and
> it's not their fault, it's their parents that fill up their entire day
> after school with stupid BS, but say they "have to do" all that.

Such as? Her only extra curricular thing is dance. And I won't have to
drive her when she gets her car which will be soon. She did briefly join a
knitting club but knitting wasn't her thing. And scouts when she was much
younger.

When I was in school, my whole day was filled up with stuff, not necessarily
of my choice. Dance, swimming, scouts, pep club, choir, orchestra, sports,
drama, Deca, jobs, and various church activities. I had very little time
off just to sit around and daydream. I was constantly busy.

>>> If you need artificial help to stay awake, you are not sleeping
>>> properly. It is unhealthy.

>> Well then change the schooling. Because they are giving out enough
>> homework to where the kids have to stay up to midnight to finish it.

> then drop the extra-curricular stuff, and get her doing her homework first
> thing after school. duh.

Such as? Her upcoming dance schedule is twice a week for (I think) one hour
each. Hardly grueling. She is trying to get a job. She will need one to
pay for car expenses.

As for getting her homework done right after school? That is *not*
something they want the students to do. They say that they need some down
time and if possible they should do it after dinner.

>> Didn't say it was healthy. Just the way it is. It was that way when I
>> was in high school too. And that was back in the 70's. Obviously I
>> wasn't sleeping. But I could either sleep or work. And I was required
>> to work.

> Required by your family and your family situation, I take it. Lots of
> kids worked after school, but a parent that would force a growning kid to
> work and not get enough sleep was kinda negligent, IMO. I worked summers,
> all summers, but during the school year, it was only part-time or at
> school, but my mom and dad both worked, to make ends meet. And we were
> pretty much poor, if not just squeaking by.

I didn't ask for your opinion. My dad had to do it and he insisted that we
do it too. He had to go to work at age 8 and couldn't understand why we
couldn't do that.

> Whatever. That you're passing the legacy on to your kid, of not enough
> sleep and pumping up with the caffeine is on you, totally. Don't blame
> "how things are nowadays". YOU are still the parent, remember?

And you're an ass. Things aren't just that way nowadays. They were that
way when I was growing up and even before my time. I do subscribe to the
Good Old Days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 7:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> This is just getting comical. Obviously you people are not surrounded
>> by people holding Starbucks cups or energy drinks. I am.

> Sorry to hear that, but just because others do i does not mean it is OK to
> follow the crowd.
>

> Perhaps if
>> you lived in an area with little sun, you'd feel the same. We are still
>> in the midst of unseasonably high temps. Almost 90 today and no sun.

> We have little sun in the winter and I don't increase my rather modest
> caffeine intake or fall asleep. Get some full spectrum lights and it will
> help.

Ack, no! I hate lights.

>> No sun does make you droopy.

> You need that $40 bra I guess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> Julie's "here" is like nowhere in the world I've ever encountered, and I
> live right smack dab in the middle of a huge city.

I have never lived smack in the middle of a huge city nor would I. I am out
in the suburbs. So I would assume that our lives are as different as night
and day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> snip

>>> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
>>> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
>>> Janet US

>> The Dr. TOLD me to give it to her. Said it was the same as water. She
>> didn't care for plain water at that age and the Dr. didn't want her
>> having much milk or juice. What other option is there?

> Oh yeah, "The Dr.". Was he Dr. Nick, like on the Simpsons?
> He said it "was the same as water"! Where the hell did he get his MD?
>
> Certainly, there's no reason to use your own judgment but instead just do
> whatever "The Dr." says. Because "The Dr." was the only person on the
> whole planet that you'd listen to, and that knew what to do. There
> weren't libraries, or other moms, or family, or other doctors where you
> were, or common sense, or second opinions, and you had no choice but to
> listen to "The Dr."...
>
> okie dokie! This explains a lot!

As I have said countless times, I am fine with diet soda. My husband was
not and he asked the Dr. He didn't like the response that he got. I drank
diet soda all my life. I am diabetic now. Many diabetics drink diet soda.
You may not be okay with it but that's you. Don't think the rest of the
world has to do what you want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, Roy wrote:

>>> Find another doctor. I honestly don't know how you encounter these
>>> quacks.
>>>

>>> Jill

>> Exactly...you took the words from my mouth.
>>

> we are SOOOOO being played.

Wrong! Obviously you don't drink diet soda and you have some issues with
it. Different Drs. will tell you different things and they're not always
right. I do use my own judgment and I am fine with diet soda, yes, even for
kids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 8/1/2014 9:41 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Juice diluted with water is a good choice, too, unless there was a strict
>> reason for no juice at all. I suspect it was just for the fructose,
>> though.

> Actually no. Juice is really pretty bad for you. Lemon, lime and tomato
> being the exception. She was only allowed 4 oz. of juice per day.

Yep, that juice in those sippy cups has ruined a lot of toddler teeth when
they have constant access to it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> On 8/1/2014 9:41 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Juice diluted with water is a good choice, too, unless there was a
>>> strict reason for no juice at all. I suspect it was just for the
>>> fructose, though.

>> Actually no. Juice is really pretty bad for you. Lemon, lime and tomato
>> being the exception. She was only allowed 4 oz. of juice per day.

> Yep, that juice in those sippy cups has ruined a lot of toddler teeth when
> they have constant access to it.

That and it tends to fill them up so they won't eat. All of the parents I
see who complain that their kids won't eat are giving them tons of juice. I
know kids who have a nurse for a mom. She was shocked at their rotted teeth
at a young age. It was the juice. Lots of people don't even think about
little ones teeth and don't get them to brushing or even take them to the
dentist until they are 4 or 5 and that's what she did.

Angela started brushing at about a year. She had all of her teeth then.
She had her first dentist appointment at about 18 months.

I'm going to buy a package of this at the grocery store today. ImStillMags General Cooking 5 09-05-2012 01:45 AM
at the grocery today gregz General Cooking 4 01-01-2012 07:11 PM
Went to the Chinese grocery today zxcvbob General Cooking 11 14-05-2011 07:05 AM
Huge Grocery Savings! kimsyet General 0 08-02-2011 10:21 PM
A Breakthrough in Grocery Savings! barbsydor Diabetic 2 12-08-2010 10:59 PM