Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 3:15 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 12:23 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> I hated coffee when I was a kid. My dad had what was called the mixture
>> in our house every day, eggs, milk, sugar and hot coffee combined and
>> poured over torn bread in a bowl. It always seemed awful to us, but I
>> think it was an Italian thing.
>>
>> Cheri

> My parents drank Cajun coffee which contained plenty of chicory, so you
> know we did not care for it.
>
> Becca

Love that coffee in Louisiana.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 2:14 PM, John wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:00:49 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2014 1:52 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

>>> I drank coffee occasionally from the time I was 5 years old. Caffeine in
>>> moderation is not a bad thing. It makes people smarter. I'm just about to
>>> order some L-Theanine. Taken with caffeine, it improves both physical and
>>> mental response times. 100-200mg added to 12 oz. of Pepsi Max is performance
>>> enhancing with zero downside.
>>>
>>> My son doesn't like coffee, but if he did, he would be free to have it. You
>>> base your opinions on the norms of your ignorant parents, and I on peer
>>> reviewed journal articles.

>> Caffeine is great stuff. Too much would make my heart go haywire but I
>> gotta have a cup in the morning. It actually lowers my blood pressure.
>> Here's another drug that gets a bad rap:
>>
>> http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix

> That one also lowers your blood pressure. To zero

Be afraid - be very afraid! in the end, our BP will all be zero/zero.
One little ole silly patch won't hurt cha.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 12:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>Daughter has been
> drinking the energy drinks but she's only allowed to have a couple of
> ounces at a time. Her friend drank a whole one and it landed her in the
> hospital. My friend's son did the same at about the same age and he too
> wound up in the hospital.

Why on earth would a teen your child's age need an energy drink,
especially if the children of friends ended up in the hospital from
drinking a "whole one"?

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-31 22:05, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 12:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Daughter has been
>> drinking the energy drinks but she's only allowed to have a couple of
>> ounces at a time. Her friend drank a whole one and it landed her in the
>> hospital. My friend's son did the same at about the same age and he too
>> wound up in the hospital.

> Why on earth would a teen your child's age need an energy drink,
> especially if the children of friends ended up in the hospital from
> drinking a "whole one"?

When you are a dancer who can't get over to tie up your shoes you need
that extra shot of energy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 1, 2014 1:14:03 AM UTC+1, John wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:00:49 -1000, dsi1
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On 7/31/2014 1:52 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> >> I drank coffee occasionally from the time I was 5 years old. Caffeine in

> >> moderation is not a bad thing. It makes people smarter. I'm just about to

> >> order some L-Theanine. Taken with caffeine, it improves both physical and

> >> mental response times. 100-200mg added to 12 oz. of Pepsi Max is performance

> >> enhancing with zero downside.

> >> My son doesn't like coffee, but if he did, he would be free to have it. You

> >> base your opinions on the norms of your ignorant parents, and I on peer

> >> reviewed journal articles.

> >Caffeine is great stuff. Too much would make my heart go haywire but I

> >gotta have a cup in the morning. It actually lowers my blood pressure.

> >Here's another drug that gets a bad rap:

> >http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix

> That one also lowers your blood pressure. To zero
>
> John

Because it kills off oxygenated blood cells. Which is also why your told not to smoke for at least an hour after giving blood otherwise you could pass out.

Cherry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>>> she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend
>>> drank a
>>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the
>>> same
>>> at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

>> Why then, would you buy that crap?
>>

> I don't know why *anyone* buys that stuff, much less for a teenager.
>
> http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...rgy_drinks.php
>
> Or
>
> http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm
>
> And
>
> http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058349

Yep. That's why she only has 2 oz. at a time. We here love our caffeine!
And teenagers live on the stuff. In my day we only had caffeine pills.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 6:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

>> Like I said, she's only allowed about 2 ounces at a time.

> His point, which you missed, was why do you buy it? You already pointed
> out they can cause some serious problems. One way to completely eliminate
> the potential for problems is simply say "NO".

They can cause a problem if you drink the whole can. You missed *my* point.
She can only have 2 oz. at a time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:57:00 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

> children should not have them at all.
> why would they need them?
> Janet US

What a bunch of hooey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 10:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:57:00 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> children should not have them at all.
>> why would they need them?
>> Janet US
>>

> Times sure have changed. I don't understand kids drinking coffee or
> energy drinks. When I was a teenager I had plenty of energy. I'd be out
> walking around the neighborhood with friends. Or riding my bicycle. I
> certainly didn't need a shot of caffeine.

I'm about your age. *I* drank coffee. I took caffeine pills to the point
of sickening myself. I worked at an inventory company in high school and if
I didn't do this there would have been no way I could make it through the
day at school or my various after school activities. I sometimes didn't get
home from work till 4:00 a.m. Illegal? Yes. But that's what we did in
those days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:58:31 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Times sure have changed. I don't understand kids drinking coffee or
>> energy drinks. When I was a teenager I had plenty of energy. I'd be
>> out walking around the neighborhood with friends. Or riding my bicycle.
>> I certainly didn't need a shot of caffeine.
>>

> Maybe they are using energy drinks instead of "speed". Caffeine is
> legal.

I don't know if the rest of you can get Zip Fizz as it is made here. We
once made the mistake of getting samples of it at Costco and the guy gave
use each a whole tube and a whole bottle of water. This was around dinner
time. We were up all night!

I don't have Zip Fizz often but it does come in very handy when I haven't
slept and I have to go somewhere. I have never had the whole tube again
though and neither has she. We just put a little powder in a Dixie cup and
mix it with a little water. However, this doesn't always taste so good and
we don't always have the time to let the powder dissolve. The canned drinks
solve this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:17:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-07-31 12:11 PM, sf wrote:
>>

>> > Maybe they are using energy drinks instead of "speed". Caffeine is
>> > legal.

>> When I used to go skiing every week in Ellicottville NY I found myself
>> drinking Mountain Dew. It seemed to be really refreshing. It is odd
>> that was the only time I ever drank it, though I have had it here once
>> or twice since. I did not know until much later than American Mountain
>> Dew was loaded with caffeine while the Canadian product was caffeine
>> free.

> I only realized recently how loaded Mountain Dew is with caffeine and
> then it made all the sense in the world why it's so popular with a
> certain segment of the population. Red Bull for poor folks.

When we made a cross country move following Angela's birth, I was breast
feeding and trying to cut back on caffeine. I was stuck buying sodas from
Quickie Mart type places and the only diet drinks they seemed to have were
Mt. Dew and Coke. I figured that Mt. Dew was like 7Up so I bought that. I
was also drinking water but if it's good water, I have the tendency to drink
it far too fast and that's not something you want to do in a moving vehicle.
If it's something like Dasani, I just don't want to drink it and chances are
I'll never finish the bottle.

Anyway... We were almost to CA when I called my bro on the phone and told
him I would be glad when we got settled and I could quit drinking the Mt.
Dew. That's when I learned how much caffeine that it had! I said that
would explain why I couldn't sleep. I was also very ill with a severe
fungal ear infection in both ears which created huge swellings into my
cheeks but that's another matter.

Since then I have forgotten twice that it has all that caffeine, perhaps
only because I find the taste so yucky that I never want to drink it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2014 10:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> children should not have them at all.
>>> why would they need them?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Times sure have changed. I don't understand kids drinking coffee or
>> energy drinks. When I was a teenager I had plenty of energy. I'd be out
>> walking around the neighborhood with friends. Or riding my bicycle. I
>> certainly didn't need a shot of caffeine.

> when I was a youngster, caffeine, except in the form of very weak tea if I
> was feeling poorly, was forbidden. We were not a coffee drinking
> household (too expensive, even then?) and when I finally had it I didn't
> like it much, til I was in my 20s. Oh wait, Tab drinker at college...
> Even colas and sodas in general were not a staple in the house, thus no
> caffeine from those sources, either.
>
> I suffered some minor derision from some friends who were surprised to
> visit and find only water, milk or maybe some dilute Kool-Aid available as
> a beverage.
>
> At least sodas back then used sugar, not HFCS, but we've had that
> discussion about a zillion times.

When I was growing up we had a very tiny amount of juice for breakfast or
perhaps if we were sick. Milk at home for meals until the Dr. told my mom
to stop giving me milk because it was causing problems. Otherwise, we drank
hot or iced tea and diet drinks with or without caffeine. We could have had
coffee but I didn't develop a taste for it until I was 15.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 11:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee machine.
> I think she also said they serve coffee at her school. Personally, I can't
> fathom it.
>
> My parents certainly didn't offer me a cup of coffee before I left the
> house to go to school.

And I can't fathom that you don't fathom it. Everyone around here drinks
coffee except perhaps for me, my mom and another woman I know. She used to
drink it but got very frightening news while drinking coffee and now she
can't bring herself to drink it. My mom never liked it. I like it but I am
intolerant to it.

We were offered coffee but as I said, I didn't like it until I was 15.
Perhaps because I got it for myself and it was black. I only ever liked
black coffee. When people give coffee to kids they always try to doctor it
up with cream and sugar and I hate it like that. We did have hot tea for
breakfast and throughout the day. Often it was Constant Comment but we also
drank a lot of Red Rose because I collected the animals that used to come in
the boxes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 7/31/2014 10:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>>> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
>>> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
>>> Personally, I can't fathom it.

>> She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)
>>>

> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.

Good thing you don't live here. You'd never fit in. We also don't carry
umbrellas when it rains. When it isn't raining, you'll see elderly foreign
women with them to ward off the sun. And we buy the most sunglasses of any
state in the company, despite having less sun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:58:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> > She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there
>> > :-)
>> >>

>> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.
>>

> Coffee for younger people has been a trend for a long time. My DD
> started going to coffee shops and drinking lattes (one) after school
> when she was in Jr. High. It's not like she OD'ed on them, because
> they aren't cheap. It's also possible to order decaffeinated coffee
> everywhere. I've even ordered Irish coffee with decaf - because I
> didn't want to be wide awake when I wanted to sleep.

Mine doesn't have coffee every day. Perhaps 2-3 times a week and sometimes
it is decaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)
>>>>

>> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.
>>
>> Jill

> The energy drinks are hot with young people, they can not get enough of
> them. It can not be healthy for a person.

Too much caffeine is unhealthy which is why I limit what she can drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> My kids would have been hanging from the ceilings. Always restricted
>>> sugar and never gave them anything caffeinated. I had one so hyper she
>>> would roll out of bed almost every night, but I refused to medicate her.
>>>

>> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee machine.
>> I think she also said they serve coffee at her school. Personally, I
>> can't fathom it.
>>
>> My parents certainly didn't offer me a cup of coffee before I left the
>> house to go to school.
>>
>> Jill

> I hated coffee when I was a kid. My dad had what was called the mixture in
> our house every day, eggs, milk, sugar and hot coffee combined and poured
> over torn bread in a bowl. It always seemed awful to us, but I think it
> was an Italian thing.

My neighbor did similar. She was from Peru. Hers had chocolate in it as
well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

>>> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>>>
>>> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
>>>
>>> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
>>>
>>> Personally, I can't fathom it.
>>>

>> Coffee improves performance on standardized tests. It makes you smarter.
>>>
>>> My parents certainly didn't offer me a cup of coffee before I left the
>>>
>>> house to go to school.
>>>

>> I drank coffee occasionally from the time I was 5 years old. Caffeine in
>> moderation is not a bad thing. It makes people smarter. I'm just about
>> order some L-Theanine. Taken with caffeine, it improves both physical
>> and
>> mental response times. 100-200mg added to 12 oz. of Pepsi Max is
>> performance
>> enhancing with zero downside.
>>
>> My son doesn't like coffee, but if he did, he would be free to have it.
>> You
>> base your opinions on the norms of your ignorant parents, and I on peer
>> reviewed journal articles

> Somehow I don't think the journals you read advised providing caffeine to
> children and pre-teens. Giving kids stimulants, or any other
> non-necessary medications or drugs is just wrong.

Says who? We have discussed caffeine with my daughter's Drs. When she was
a toddler, the Dr. said she could have one diet drink per day and caffeine
was fine. She did have a medical problem later that could have been
exacerbated by caffeine. So she was told not to have any more than one
caffeine containing beverage per day. We have since discovered that we'd
been barking up the wrong tree there but caffeine can be an irritant to the
urinary system. Otherwise, there is no problem. Unless of course you have
some other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it. Kids
were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She drank it!
And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind you're
likely to get at tea would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:57:00 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>> http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm
>>

> I'm not wholesale condemning *howstuffworks*, but what bullshit. No
> calorie
> energy drinks are fine, sometimes pricey, but otherwise fine. Caffeine in
> moderation is good, and the site above erroneously lists ephedrine first
> on
> its list. Bullshit.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedrine#USA
>
> Every other ingredient listed is perfectly fine:
> ---------------------------------
>
> Taurine - A natural amino acid produced by the body that helps regulate
> heart beat and muscle contractions. Many health experts aren't sure what
> effect it has as a drink additive (and the rumor that taurine comes from
> bull testicles is false).
> Ginseng - A root believed by some to have several medicinal properties,
> including reducing stress and boosting energy levels.
> B-vitamins - A group of vitamins that can convert sugar to energy and
> improve muscle tone.
> Guarana seed - A stimulant that comes from a small shrub native to
> Venezuela and Brazil.
> Carnitine - An amino acid that plays a role in fatty acid metabolism.
> Creatine - An organic acid that helps supply energy for muscle
> contractions.
> Inositol - A member of the vitamin B complex (not a vitamin itself,
> because the human body can synthesize it) that helps relay messages within
> cells in the body.
> Ginkgo biloba - Made from the seeds of the ginkgo biloba tree, thought to
> enhance memory.
> -----------------------------
>
> There is one ingredient notably missing, l-Theanine, but it is easy enough
> to add--
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H46X2LC?psc=1
> http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/8/1572S.long
>
> Seriously, Jill. Parroting pop science isn't cool.
>>
>> Jill

> --Bryan

I take a lot of supplements and I take most of those things in pill form.
No Guarana but the rest. I also suck down as much caffeine as I can get.
You don't want to be around me if I don't get any!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 12:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>Daughter has been
>> drinking the energy drinks but she's only allowed to have a couple of
>> ounces at a time. Her friend drank a whole one and it landed her in the
>> hospital. My friend's son did the same at about the same age and he too
>> wound up in the hospital.

> Why on earth would a teen your child's age need an energy drink,
> especially if the children of friends ended up in the hospital from
> drinking a "whole one"?

Dur. She doesn't drink a whole one! Some of you people here just don't get
it. But you don't live here. Move here and you'll get it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 11:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Like I said, she's only allowed about 2 ounces at a time.

>> His point, which you missed, was why do you buy it? You already
>> pointed out they can cause some serious problems. One way to
>> completely eliminate the potential for problems is simply say "NO".

> They can cause a problem if you drink the whole can. You missed *my*
> point. She can only have 2 oz. at a time.

Nope. You missed the point she doesn't need 2 oz. of energy drink.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 11:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/31/2014 10:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> children should not have them at all.
>>> why would they need them?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Times sure have changed. I don't understand kids drinking coffee or
>> energy drinks. When I was a teenager I had plenty of energy. I'd be
>> out walking around the neighborhood with friends. Or riding my
>> bicycle. I certainly didn't need a shot of caffeine.

> I'm about your age. *I* drank coffee. I took caffeine pills to the
> point of sickening myself.

That just proves your life wasn't normal.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)
>>>>

>> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.

> Good thing you don't live here. You'd never fit in. We also don't
> carry umbrellas when it rains. When it isn't raining, you'll see
> elderly foreign women with them to ward off the sun. And we buy the
> most sunglasses of any state in the company, despite having less sun.

WTF are you talking about? We were talking about caffeine, not
umbrellas. Yes, I use one when it rains. It rains fairly frequently
here this time of year. But we weren't talking about friggin rain.
Good lord.

Frankly, I don't care to "fit in", especially not in a place where
people encourage teenagers to injest high amounts of caffeine. Oh, but
I forgot, you like chemicals.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 11:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Why then, would you buy that crap?
>>>

>> I don't know why *anyone* buys that stuff, much less for a teenager.
>>
>> http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...rgy_drinks.php
>>

>> Or
>>
>> http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm
>>

>> And
>>
>> http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058349
>>

> Yep. That's why she only has 2 oz. at a time. We here love our
> caffeine! And teenagers live on the stuff. In my day we only had
> caffeine pills.

That's just plain crazy. I posted links showing some evidence about why
those "energy drinks" are bad for teens. You say you "only had caffeine
pills". Why the heck did you need caffeine pills as a teenager?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 11:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> His point, which you missed, was why do you buy it? You already
>>> pointed out they can cause some serious problems. One way to
>>> completely eliminate the potential for problems is simply say "NO".

>> They can cause a problem if you drink the whole can. You missed *my*
>> point. She can only have 2 oz. at a time.

> Nope. You missed the point she doesn't need 2 oz. of energy drink.

Ohhh yes she does!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> I'm about your age. *I* drank coffee. I took caffeine pills to the
>> point of sickening myself.

> That just proves your life wasn't normal.

Not at all. I wasn't the only one who did this. And about 10 years after I
graduated, I was working with high school and college students who did the
same. When you're working a lot of hours and going to school as well, you
don't have much choice. Well, unless you want to move on to stronger and
perhaps illegal things. When you can't sleep, you have to stay awake
somehow!

My dad even did the same before me. He often worked two jobs and went to
school. Just because you didn't do something doesn't make others who did it
abnormal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2014 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.

>> Good thing you don't live here. You'd never fit in. We also don't
>> carry umbrellas when it rains. When it isn't raining, you'll see
>> elderly foreign women with them to ward off the sun. And we buy the
>> most sunglasses of any state in the company, despite having less sun.

> WTF are you talking about? We were talking about caffeine, not umbrellas.
> Yes, I use one when it rains. It rains fairly frequently here this time
> of year. But we weren't talking about friggin rain. Good lord.

I'm talking about things that we do here in this area that people in other
areas don't necessarily do. And one of those things is pumping ourselves
full of caffeine!

> Frankly, I don't care to "fit in", especially not in a place where people
> encourage teenagers to injest high amounts of caffeine. Oh, but I forgot,
> you like chemicals.

Okay then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 11:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't know why *anyone* buys that stuff, much less for a teenager.
>>>
>>> http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...rgy_drinks.php
>>>

>>> Or
>>>
>>> http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm
>>>

>>> And
>>>
>>> http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058349
>>>

>> Yep. That's why she only has 2 oz. at a time. We here love our
>> caffeine! And teenagers live on the stuff. In my day we only had
>> caffeine pills.

> That's just plain crazy. I posted links showing some evidence about why
> those "energy drinks" are bad for teens. You say you "only had caffeine
> pills". Why the heck did you need caffeine pills as a teenager?

I told you why. To stay awake! I had all kinds of after school activities
and a job. I got precious little sleep for all of my senior year. AFAIK,
cocaine wasn't popular quite yet. Pot was. And cheap wine. If you were in
high school. Neither of those things keep you awake. And even if cocaine
had been available I wouldn't have taken it. Yes, there were other illegal
pills. Wasn't interested in those either. Caffeine pills were relatively
cheap, and quick to take. Quicker than coffee. But if I didn't have any of
those, I'd make some super strong instant coffee or super strong instant
iced tea, gag that down and leave.

People have all sorts of vices. That was mine. Well that and smoking. I
gave up smoking. I still like my caffeine but I prefer it now in Diet Coke.
Too much caffeine at one time is hard on the stomach.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 19:18:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

snip

>Love that coffee in Louisiana.

me too.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

snip

>> Somehow I don't think the journals you read advised providing caffeine to
>> children and pre-teens. Giving kids stimulants, or any other
>> non-necessary medications or drugs is just wrong.

>Says who? We have discussed caffeine with my daughter's Drs. When she was
>a toddler, the Dr. said she could have one diet drink per day and caffeine
>was fine. She did have a medical problem later that could have been
>exacerbated by caffeine. So she was told not to have any more than one
>caffeine containing beverage per day. We have since discovered that we'd
>been barking up the wrong tree there but caffeine can be an irritant to the
>urinary system. Otherwise, there is no problem. Unless of course you have
>some other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it. Kids
>were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She drank it!
>And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind you're
>likely to get at tea would.

You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-01 9:35 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it. Kids
>> were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She drank it!
>> And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind you're
>> likely to get at tea would.

> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts?

It's Julie. So you even need to ask that question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 6:55 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

>> The energy drinks are hot with young people, they can not get enough of
>>
>> them. It can not be healthy for a person.
>>

> What do you base that on? The sugar free ones are fine.
>>
>> Becca

> --Bryan

Guarana seeds make me shake like Michael Jackson on his wedding night, I
would not give that to any of my children.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 9:35 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:18:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>> crg.pbz...
>>>

> snip
>>>

>>> Somehow I don't think the journals you read advised providing caffeine to
>>> children and pre-teens. Giving kids stimulants, or any other
>>> non-necessary medications or drugs is just wrong.

>> Says who? We have discussed caffeine with my daughter's Drs. When she was
>> a toddler, the Dr. said she could have one diet drink per day and caffeine
>> was fine. She did have a medical problem later that could have been
>> exacerbated by caffeine. So she was told not to have any more than one
>> caffeine containing beverage per day. We have since discovered that we'd
>> been barking up the wrong tree there but caffeine can be an irritant to the
>> urinary system. Otherwise, there is no problem. Unless of course you have
>> some other medical problem that would prohibit you from ingesting it. Kids
>> were drinking coffee when my grandma was walking the earth. She drank it!
>> And they take tea in the UK. Not all tea has caffeine but the kind you're
>> likely to get at tea would.

> You were giving your toddler a diet soda pop? Are you nuts? Children
> don't need to be encouraged and taught to eat and drink crap.
> Janet US

You're beating a dead horse, Janet. Julie buys soda pop in huge
quantities so of course she's looking for justification.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 8:56 AM, barbie gee wrote:

> Kids shouldn't be "tired" or need to "stay awake". How about they get a
> good nights sleep, like they should be? I swear there should be
> mandatory parenting classes before people can reproduce.

I am giving you a standing ovation!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 11:59 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 8:56 AM, barbie gee wrote:
>
>> Kids shouldn't be "tired" or need to "stay awake". How about they get a
>> good nights sleep, like they should be? I swear there should be
>> mandatory parenting classes before people can reproduce.

> I am giving you a standing ovation!

Ditto that!

When most of us were kids, we ran around and played outside. We rode
our bicycles, we roller skated. Physical activity is important. I was
very active, which stimulated my mind and body but also allowed me to
get a good nights sleep.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 10:59 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 8:56 AM, barbie gee wrote:
>
>> Kids shouldn't be "tired" or need to "stay awake". How about they get a
>> good nights sleep, like they should be? I swear there should be
>> mandatory parenting classes before people can reproduce.

> I am giving you a standing ovation!

Same here.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 4:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> Nope. You missed the point she doesn't need 2 oz. of energy drink.

> Ohhh yes she does!!!

Then you should rethink your/her life style. Mankind flourished for
thousands of years with no energy drinks.

If you need artificial help to stay awake, you are not sleeping
properly. It is unhealthy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2014 4:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> My dad even did the same before me. He often worked two jobs and went
> to school. Just because you didn't do something doesn't make others who
> did it abnormal.

Ingesting chemicals to make it through the day is abnormal. Unhealthy,
dangerous.

The occasional cup of coffee is one thing, but to "need" energy drinks
to survive is crazy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 9:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>>> she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend
>>> drank a
>>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the
>>> same
>>> at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

>> Why then, would you buy that crap?
>>

> I don't know why *anyone* buys that stuff, much less for a teenager.
>
> http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...rgy_drinks.php
>

> Or
>
> http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm
>

> And
>
> http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058349
>

> Jill

I never knew all this about energy drinks, but I don't drink them so I
don't pay much attention to the news about them. My nephew drinks those
things like water, but he's grown and on his own. I know he was drinking
them in his teens, though. I guess he's lucky.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I tend to get a craving for something I haven't had for a while... then
I go nuts and have it all the time... then something else replaces it.

Here lately... Pho. Used to have it all the time then not so much. Got
the mood for it last week and tried a new restaurant and it was great!
Can't wait to go back tomorrow.

Braunschweiger is another. Didn't have any for years, then all of a
sudden, I wanted it. Now it is my go-to meat for a quick sandwich for
lunch.

The only thing I never seem to get tired of is eggs. Boiled, fried,
scrambled. My standard breakfast is fried eggs on a roll (or a fried egg
sandwich)... and I am very fortunate to be married to someone who
doesn't mind making them... over and over and over....

George L

I'm going to buy a package of this at the grocery store today. ImStillMags General Cooking 5 09-05-2012 01:45 AM
at the grocery today gregz General Cooking 4 01-01-2012 07:11 PM
Went to the Chinese grocery today zxcvbob General Cooking 11 14-05-2011 07:05 AM
Huge Grocery Savings! kimsyet General 0 08-02-2011 10:21 PM
A Breakthrough in Grocery Savings! barbsydor Diabetic 2 12-08-2010 10:59 PM