FoodBanter.com

-   -   Grocery savings today. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/430158-grocery-savings-today.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 31-07-2014 06:10 AM

Grocery savings today.

And no, I'm not going to scan my Safeway receipt. Total before loyalty
card? $100.63. And after? $42.73. Impressive, no?

I mostly bought soda. 8, 12 packs. 5, 16 oz which I got for free with
coupons. 5 energy drinks. Butter, margarine, raw sugar, some sort of snack
packs of crisp breads with salami and cheese and a couple of sandwiches that
were $1 off. I really only needed the butter, margarine and sugar. But...
I checked the ads as we were going to dinner and saw that they had the best
soda price at 4/$11 and they were on the way home. Husband has been eating
those little salami packs as fast as they come in the door and I know he
will eat the sandwich. Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a
whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the same
at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

Cheri[_3_] 31-07-2014 06:30 AM

Grocery savings today.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> And no, I'm not going to scan my Safeway receipt. Total before loyalty
> card? $100.63. And after? $42.73. Impressive, no?
>
> I mostly bought soda. 8, 12 packs. 5, 16 oz which I got for free with
> coupons. 5 energy drinks. Butter, margarine, raw sugar, some sort of
> snack packs of crisp breads with salami and cheese and a couple of
> sandwiches that were $1 off. I really only needed the butter, margarine
> and sugar. But... I checked the ads as we were going to dinner and saw
> that they had the best soda price at 4/$11 and they were on the way home.
> Husband has been eating those little salami packs as fast as they come in
> the door and I know he will eat the sandwich. Daughter has been drinking
> the energy drinks but she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a
> time. Her friend drank a whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My
> friend's son did the same at about the same age and he too wound up in the
> hospital.

Good thing you didn't have a nosy rosy checking your cart. LOL

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 31-07-2014 08:31 AM

Grocery savings today.

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> And no, I'm not going to scan my Safeway receipt. Total before loyalty
>> card? $100.63. And after? $42.73. Impressive, no?
>>
>> I mostly bought soda. 8, 12 packs. 5, 16 oz which I got for free with
>> coupons. 5 energy drinks. Butter, margarine, raw sugar, some sort of
>> snack packs of crisp breads with salami and cheese and a couple of
>> sandwiches that were $1 off. I really only needed the butter, margarine
>> and sugar. But... I checked the ads as we were going to dinner and saw
>> that they had the best soda price at 4/$11 and they were on the way home.
>> Husband has been eating those little salami packs as fast as they come in
>> the door and I know he will eat the sandwich. Daughter has been drinking
>> the energy drinks but she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a
>> time. Her friend drank a whole one and it landed her in the hospital.
>> My friend's son did the same at about the same age and he too wound up in
>> the hospital.

> Good thing you didn't have a nosy rosy checking your cart. LOL

Yeah. Oh and I forgot to make my point. Which was that I would never have
paid full price for that soda, which is what made it look like I got a lot
of savings.

Ed Pawlowski 31-07-2014 10:57 AM

Grocery savings today.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a
>whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the same
>at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

Why then, would you buy that crap?

Julie Bove[_2_] 31-07-2014 11:33 AM

Grocery savings today.

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>>she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank
>>whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the same
>>at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

> Why then, would you buy that crap?

Like I said, she's only allowed about 2 ounces at a time. We drink Zip Fizz
the same way. Don't know if you have Zip Fizz where you're at. It's made
locally. That's a powder though and when you're in a hurry it can be hard
to get the right amount since you're mixing it from a packet that's supposed
to go into a water bottle. This is already mixed up. She just puts foil
over it and keeps it in the fridge. One can lasts at least a week.

jmcquown[_2_] 31-07-2014 02:57 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>> she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a
>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the same
>> at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

> Why then, would you buy that crap?

I don't know why *anyone* buys that stuff, much less for a teenager.

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...rgy_drinks.php

Or

http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm

And

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058349

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 31-07-2014 03:08 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 6:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>>> she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend
>>> drank a
>>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the
>>> same
>>> at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

> Like I said, she's only allowed about 2 ounces at a time.

His point, which you missed, was why do you buy it? You already pointed
out they can cause some serious problems. One way to completely
eliminate the potential for problems is simply say "NO".

Jill

Bryan-TGWWW 31-07-2014 03:10 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:57:00 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> > > wrote:

> >> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but

> >> she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a

> >> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the same

> >> at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

> > Why then, would you buy that crap?

> I don't know why *anyone* buys that stuff, much less for a teenager.

It lessens the chance that *Tubby-in-a-Tutu* will end up, like your kitty
friend, "in trouble". Between that and the baked potatoes as snacks, she
isn't likely to attract many males.

> Jill

--Bryan

Janet Bostwick 31-07-2014 03:37 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:57:00 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>>> she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a
>>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the same
>>> at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

children should not have them at all.
why would they need them?
Janet US

jmcquown[_2_] 31-07-2014 03:58 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 10:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:57:00 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

> children should not have them at all.
> why would they need them?
> Janet US

Times sure have changed. I don't understand kids drinking coffee or
energy drinks. When I was a teenager I had plenty of energy. I'd be
out walking around the neighborhood with friends. Or riding my bicycle.
I certainly didn't need a shot of caffeine.

Jill

Janet Wilder[_4_] 31-07-2014 04:28 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 12:30 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> And no, I'm not going to scan my Safeway receipt. Total before
>> loyalty card? $100.63. And after? $42.73. Impressive, no?
>>
>> I mostly bought soda. 8, 12 packs. 5, 16 oz which I got for free
>> with coupons. 5 energy drinks. Butter, margarine, raw sugar, some
>> sort of snack packs of crisp breads with salami and cheese and a
>> couple of sandwiches that were $1 off. I really only needed the
>> butter, margarine and sugar. But... I checked the ads as we were
>> going to dinner and saw that they had the best soda price at 4/$11 and
>> they were on the way home. Husband has been eating those little salami
>> packs as fast as they come in the door and I know he will eat the
>> sandwich. Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but she's only
>> allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a
>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the
>> same at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

> Good thing you didn't have a nosy rosy checking your cart. LOL
>
> Cheri

This nosy Rosie resents that :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Janet Wilder[_4_] 31-07-2014 04:31 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 9:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:57:00 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2014 5:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

> children should not have them at all.
> why would they need them?
> Janet US

My kids would have been hanging from the ceilings. Always restricted
sugar and never gave them anything caffeinated. I had one so hyper she
would roll out of bed almost every night, but I refused to medicate her.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

brooklyn1 31-07-2014 04:42 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 03:33:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:10:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but
>>>she's only allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank
>>>whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the same
>>>at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

>Like I said, she's only allowed about 2 ounces at a time. We drink Zip Fizz
>the same way. Don't know if you have Zip Fizz where you're at. It's made
>locally. That's a powder though and when you're in a hurry it can be hard
>to get the right amount since you're mixing it from a packet that's supposed
>to go into a water bottle. This is already mixed up. She just puts foil
>over it and keeps it in the fridge. One can lasts at least a week.

Yoose two would be far better off, and healthier, splitting a beer.

jmcquown[_2_] 31-07-2014 04:58 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 11:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 9:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:57:00 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> children should not have them at all.
>> why would they need them?
>> Janet US
>>

> My kids would have been hanging from the ceilings. Always restricted
> sugar and never gave them anything caffeinated. I had one so hyper she
> would roll out of bed almost every night, but I refused to medicate her.

I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
Personally, I can't fathom it.

My parents certainly didn't offer me a cup of coffee before I left the
house to go to school.

Jill

sf[_9_] 31-07-2014 05:11 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:58:31 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Times sure have changed. I don't understand kids drinking coffee or
> energy drinks. When I was a teenager I had plenty of energy. I'd be
> out walking around the neighborhood with friends. Or riding my bicycle.
> I certainly didn't need a shot of caffeine.

Maybe they are using energy drinks instead of "speed". Caffeine is
legal.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Dave Smith[_1_] 31-07-2014 05:12 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 2014-07-31 10:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Like I said, she's only allowed about 2 ounces at a time.

> His point, which you missed, was why do you buy it? You already pointed
> out they can cause some serious problems. One way to completely
> eliminate the potential for problems is simply say "NO".

Such is the mystery of the Julie.

Dave Smith[_1_] 31-07-2014 05:13 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 2014-07-31 6:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Why then, would you buy that crap?

> Like I said, she's only allowed about 2 ounces at a time.

How do you measure the two ounces? Do you use a liquid volume measure
like a shot glass, or do would use a scale and weigh it?

Dave Smith[_1_] 31-07-2014 05:17 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 2014-07-31 12:11 PM, sf wrote:

> Maybe they are using energy drinks instead of "speed". Caffeine is
> legal.

When I used to go skiing every week in Ellicottville NY I found myself
drinking Mountain Dew. It seemed to be really refreshing. It is odd
that was the only time I ever drank it, though I have had it here once
or twice since. I did not know until much later than American Mountain
Dew was loaded with caffeine while the Canadian product was caffeine free.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 31-07-2014 05:48 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 10:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
> Personally, I can't fathom it.

She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Janet Wilder[_4_] 31-07-2014 05:50 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 11:17 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-07-31 12:11 PM, sf wrote:
>

>> Maybe they are using energy drinks instead of "speed". Caffeine is
>> legal.

> When I used to go skiing every week in Ellicottville NY I found myself
> drinking Mountain Dew. It seemed to be really refreshing. It is odd
> that was the only time I ever drank it, though I have had it here once
> or twice since. I did not know until much later than American Mountain
> Dew was loaded with caffeine while the Canadian product was caffeine free.

That is why it's a favorite beverage of over-the-road truck drivers. I
drank it, too, when I was driving a tractor trailer. Also drank it in
college accompanied by a package of Twinkies.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

jmcquown[_2_] 31-07-2014 05:58 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 10:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
>> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
>> Personally, I can't fathom it.

> She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)

That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.

Jill

Cheri[_3_] 31-07-2014 06:20 PM

Grocery savings today.

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 7/31/2014 12:30 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> And no, I'm not going to scan my Safeway receipt. Total before
>>> loyalty card? $100.63. And after? $42.73. Impressive, no?
>>>
>>> I mostly bought soda. 8, 12 packs. 5, 16 oz which I got for free
>>> with coupons. 5 energy drinks. Butter, margarine, raw sugar, some
>>> sort of snack packs of crisp breads with salami and cheese and a
>>> couple of sandwiches that were $1 off. I really only needed the
>>> butter, margarine and sugar. But... I checked the ads as we were
>>> going to dinner and saw that they had the best soda price at 4/$11 and
>>> they were on the way home. Husband has been eating those little salami
>>> packs as fast as they come in the door and I know he will eat the
>>> sandwich. Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but she's only
>>> allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a
>>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the
>>> same at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

>> Good thing you didn't have a nosy rosy checking your cart. LOL
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> This nosy Rosie resents that :-)

Well, see...it wasn't you, since you are Rosie and the other is Rosy. :-)

Cheri

sf[_9_] 31-07-2014 06:22 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:17:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-07-31 12:11 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > Maybe they are using energy drinks instead of "speed". Caffeine is
> > legal.

> When I used to go skiing every week in Ellicottville NY I found myself
> drinking Mountain Dew. It seemed to be really refreshing. It is odd
> that was the only time I ever drank it, though I have had it here once
> or twice since. I did not know until much later than American Mountain
> Dew was loaded with caffeine while the Canadian product was caffeine free.

I only realized recently how loaded Mountain Dew is with caffeine and
then it made all the sense in the world why it's so popular with a
certain segment of the population. Red Bull for poor folks.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Cheri[_3_] 31-07-2014 06:23 PM

Grocery savings today.

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/31/2014 11:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 7/31/2014 9:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> children should not have them at all.
>>> why would they need them?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> My kids would have been hanging from the ceilings. Always restricted
>> sugar and never gave them anything caffeinated. I had one so hyper she
>> would roll out of bed almost every night, but I refused to medicate her.
>>

> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee machine.
> I think she also said they serve coffee at her school. Personally, I can't
> fathom it.
>
> My parents certainly didn't offer me a cup of coffee before I left the
> house to go to school.
>
> Jill

I hated coffee when I was a kid. My dad had what was called the mixture in
our house every day, eggs, milk, sugar and hot coffee combined and poured
over torn bread in a bowl. It always seemed awful to us, but I think it was
an Italian thing.

Cheri

sf[_9_] 31-07-2014 06:33 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:58:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/31/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> > On 7/31/2014 10:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
> >> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
> >> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
> >> Personally, I can't fathom it.

> > She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)
> >>

> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.

Coffee for younger people has been a trend for a long time. My DD
started going to coffee shops and drinking lattes (one) after school
when she was in Jr. High. It's not like she OD'ed on them, because
they aren't cheap. It's also possible to order decaffeinated coffee
everywhere. I've even ordered Irish coffee with decaf - because I
didn't want to be wide awake when I wanted to sleep.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Ema Nymton 31-07-2014 06:43 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 12:30 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> And no, I'm not going to scan my Safeway receipt. Total before
>> loyalty card? $100.63. And after? $42.73. Impressive, no?
>>
>> I mostly bought soda. 8, 12 packs. 5, 16 oz which I got for free
>> with coupons. 5 energy drinks. Butter, margarine, raw sugar, some
>> sort of snack packs of crisp breads with salami and cheese and a
>> couple of sandwiches that were $1 off. I really only needed the
>> butter, margarine and sugar. But... I checked the ads as we were
>> going to dinner and saw that they had the best soda price at 4/$11 and
>> they were on the way home. Husband has been eating those little salami
>> packs as fast as they come in the door and I know he will eat the
>> sandwich. Daughter has been drinking the energy drinks but she's only
>> allowed to have a couple of ounces at a time. Her friend drank a
>> whole one and it landed her in the hospital. My friend's son did the
>> same at about the same age and he too wound up in the hospital.

> Good thing you didn't have a nosy rosy checking your cart. LOL
>
> Cheri

Yesterday, I needed someone policing my cart, I bought a can of Crème de
Pirouline wafers, with dark Chocolate. I am trying to lose a few pounds,
but I was weak. They are delicious.

Becca

Cheri[_3_] 31-07-2014 06:47 PM

Grocery savings today.

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message

> Yesterday, I needed someone policing my cart, I bought a can of Crème de
> Pirouline wafers, with dark Chocolate. I am trying to lose a few pounds,
> but I was weak. They are delicious.
>
> Becca

Well, we all have those days, but nobody should assume that if the saw that
in a cart one day, that the person is eating it every day. I bet they were
delicious, nothing worse than having your heart set on something and then
have it be a disappointment. :-)

Cheri

sf[_9_] 31-07-2014 06:54 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:43:13 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Yesterday, I needed someone policing my cart, I bought a can of Crème de
> Pirouline wafers, with dark Chocolate. I am trying to lose a few pounds,
> but I was weak. They are delicious.

I am a sucker for their rolled wafers, but I proved to myself that I
actually do have a little will power because I bought my can weeks ago
and still have some left. :)

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

sf[_9_] 31-07-2014 06:59 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:47:59 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
>
> > Yesterday, I needed someone policing my cart, I bought a can of Crème de
> > Pirouline wafers, with dark Chocolate. I am trying to lose a few pounds,
> > but I was weak. They are delicious.
> >
> > Becca

> Well, we all have those days, but nobody should assume that if the saw that
> in a cart one day, that the person is eating it every day. I bet they were
> delicious, nothing worse than having your heart set on something and then
> have it be a disappointment. :-)

There's nothing worse than deciding not to buy something and then
getting home and wishing you did! For me, it never fails to be
something that isn't stocked when I return.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Janet Bostwick 31-07-2014 07:31 PM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:11:28 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:58:31 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>> Times sure have changed. I don't understand kids drinking coffee or
>> energy drinks. When I was a teenager I had plenty of energy. I'd be
>> out walking around the neighborhood with friends. Or riding my bicycle.
>> I certainly didn't need a shot of caffeine.
>>

>Maybe they are using energy drinks instead of "speed". Caffeine is
>legal.

I was going to go there with my next post
Janet US

Ema Nymton 31-07-2014 09:13 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 7/31/2014 10:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>>> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
>>> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
>>> Personally, I can't fathom it.

>> She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)
>>>

> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.
>
> Jill

The energy drinks are hot with young people, they can not get enough of
them. It can not be healthy for a person.

Becca

Ema Nymton 31-07-2014 09:15 PM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 12:23 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I hated coffee when I was a kid. My dad had what was called the mixture
> in our house every day, eggs, milk, sugar and hot coffee combined and
> poured over torn bread in a bowl. It always seemed awful to us, but I
> think it was an Italian thing.
>
> Cheri

My parents drank Cajun coffee which contained plenty of chicory, so you
know we did not care for it.

Becca

sf[_9_] 01-08-2014 12:12 AM

Grocery savings today.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:15:25 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> My parents drank Cajun coffee which contained plenty of chicory, so you
> know we did not care for it.

In the bad old days of just canned coffee on the shelves, there was
one with chicory and I liked it the best. I am spoiled these days of
not needing to go out of my way to find African or Indonesian blends
and just taking one off the shelf as I shop for the rest of my
groceries.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Bryan-TGWWW 01-08-2014 12:38 AM

Grocery savings today.

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:57:00 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ergy-drink.htm

I'm not wholesale condemning *howstuffworks*, but what bullshit. No calorie
energy drinks are fine, sometimes pricey, but otherwise fine. Caffeine in
moderation is good, and the site above erroneously lists ephedrine first on
its list. Bullshit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedrine#USA

Every other ingredient listed is perfectly fine:
---------------------------------

Taurine - A natural amino acid produced by the body that helps regulate heart beat and muscle contractions. Many health experts aren't sure what effect it has as a drink additive (and the rumor that taurine comes from bull testicles is false).
Ginseng - A root believed by some to have several medicinal properties, including reducing stress and boosting energy levels.
B-vitamins - A group of vitamins that can convert sugar to energy and improve muscle tone.
Guarana seed - A stimulant that comes from a small shrub native to Venezuela and Brazil.
Carnitine - An amino acid that plays a role in fatty acid metabolism.
Creatine - An organic acid that helps supply energy for muscle contractions.
Inositol - A member of the vitamin B complex (not a vitamin itself, because the human body can synthesize it) that helps relay messages within cells in the body.
Ginkgo biloba - Made from the seeds of the ginkgo biloba tree, thought to enhance memory.
-----------------------------

There is one ingredient notably missing, l-Theanine, but it is easy enough
to add--
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H46X2LC?psc=1
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/8/1572S.long

Seriously, Jill. Parroting pop science isn't cool.

> Jill

--Bryan

Bryan-TGWWW 01-08-2014 12:52 AM

Grocery savings today.

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:58:30 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 11:31 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
> > On 7/31/2014 9:37 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >> children should not have them at all.

> >> why would they need them?

> >> Janet US

> > My kids would have been hanging from the ceilings. Always restricted

> > sugar and never gave them anything caffeinated. I had one so hyper she

> > would roll out of bed almost every night, but I refused to medicate her.

> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>
> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
>
> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
>
> Personally, I can't fathom it.

Coffee improves performance on standardized tests. It makes you smarter.

> My parents certainly didn't offer me a cup of coffee before I left the
>
> house to go to school.

I drank coffee occasionally from the time I was 5 years old. Caffeine in
moderation is not a bad thing. It makes people smarter. I'm just about to
order some L-Theanine. Taken with caffeine, it improves both physical and
mental response times. 100-200mg added to 12 oz. of Pepsi Max is performance
enhancing with zero downside.

My son doesn't like coffee, but if he did, he would be free to have it. You
base your opinions on the norms of your ignorant parents, and I on peer
reviewed journal articles.

> Jill

--Bryan

Bryan-TGWWW 01-08-2014 12:55 AM

Grocery savings today.

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:13:44 PM UTC-5, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> >> She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)

> > That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2�.

> > Jill

> The energy drinks are hot with young people, they can not get enough of
>
> them. It can not be healthy for a person.

What do you base that on? The sugar free ones are fine.

> Becca

--Bryan

Bryan-TGWWW 01-08-2014 12:57 AM

Grocery savings today.

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:15:25 PM UTC-5, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 12:23 PM, Cheri wrote:
>

> > I hated coffee when I was a kid. My dad had what was called the mixture

> > in our house every day, eggs, milk, sugar and hot coffee combined and

> > poured over torn bread in a bowl. It always seemed awful to us, but I

> > think it was an Italian thing.

> > Cheri

> My parents drank Cajun coffee which contained plenty of chicory, so you
>
> know we did not care for it.

That's downright nasty. My mother, after my father divorced her, switched
from Folger's to Dana Brown Safari brand, and brewed it weak. Bad, but
not chicory bad.

Now I buy Java Delight, most often Sumatra.

> Becca

--Bryan

dsi1[_15_] 01-08-2014 01:00 AM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 1:52 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:58:30 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

>>> My kids would have been hanging from the ceilings. Always restricted

>>> sugar and never gave them anything caffeinated. I had one so hyper she

>>> would roll out of bed almost every night, but I refused to medicate her.

>> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>>
>> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
>>
>> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
>>
>> Personally, I can't fathom it.
>>

> Coffee improves performance on standardized tests. It makes you smarter.
>>
>> My parents certainly didn't offer me a cup of coffee before I left the
>>
>> house to go to school.
>>

> I drank coffee occasionally from the time I was 5 years old. Caffeine in
> moderation is not a bad thing. It makes people smarter. I'm just about to
> order some L-Theanine. Taken with caffeine, it improves both physical and
> mental response times. 100-200mg added to 12 oz. of Pepsi Max is performance
> enhancing with zero downside.
>
> My son doesn't like coffee, but if he did, he would be free to have it. You
> base your opinions on the norms of your ignorant parents, and I on peer
> reviewed journal articles.
>>
>> Jill

> --Bryan

Caffeine is great stuff. Too much would make my heart go haywire but I
gotta have a cup in the morning. It actually lowers my blood pressure.
Here's another drug that gets a bad rap:

http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix

Janet Wilder[_4_] 01-08-2014 01:13 AM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 7/31/2014 10:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see any point in giving teenagers what amounts to shots of
>>> caffeine. Julie once mentioned her daughter has a Keurig coffee
>>> machine. I think she also said they serve coffee at her school.
>>> Personally, I can't fathom it.

>> She lives near Seattle. They wean their babies onto coffee up there :-)
>>>

> That still doesn't make it a good thing. My 2¢.
>
> Jill

Didn't intend to say anything good, just something regional

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Janet Wilder[_4_] 01-08-2014 01:17 AM

Grocery savings today.

On 7/31/2014 12:54 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:43:13 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday, I needed someone policing my cart, I bought a can of Crème de
>> Pirouline wafers, with dark Chocolate. I am trying to lose a few pounds,
>> but I was weak. They are delicious.
>>

> I am a sucker for their rolled wafers, but I proved to myself that I
> actually do have a little will power because I bought my can weeks ago
> and still have some left. :)

I love to stick them in ice cream and bite off the ice cream part.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas