Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Went to the Chinese grocery today

I was looking for a bag of dried chopped kelp and mushrooms; I've bought
it there before but they were out or have stopped carrying it. So I
bought 2 different kinds of seaweed and will see how they work.

But I also bought a bag of dried red dates, a bag (not an earthenware
jar) of "preserved vegetable", some ginger candy, and fresh bok choi.
They didn't have any pork uteri.

The red dates are pretty bad. They just taste like "dry". :-P They are
not sweet and not fruity, and really don't have much flavor. They might
be good for something rehydrated.

The "preserved vegetable" is interesting. It's brown leaves, with
visible salt crystals on the surface. The package says it's cabbage,
salt, and sugar, and I'm guessing it's fermented. I haven't opened it
yet in case it stinks. I asked the guy at the counter if it was used to
make soup and he said yes.

Any idea what to do with the dates and especially with the cabbage?
Probably throw the dates away, and rinse the cabbage, slice it, and use
it in stirfrys or noodles.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2011 23:54:19 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Any idea what to do with the dates and especially with the cabbage?
>> Probably throw the dates away, and rinse the cabbage, slice it, and use
>> it in stirfrys or noodles.

> Usually "preserved vegetable" is either black tree fungus or pickled
> mustard greens, lettuce, or bamboo shoots. I have never seen a dryish
> cabbage with crystals on it. You'll probably have to open that and
> taste it before you decide what to do with it. I'm kinda doubting
> it's actually cabbage, but it may be. You know that packages loose
> quite a lot in the translations.

This looks like it could be mustard greens or Chinese cabbage --
possibly Romaine lettuce but I don't think so. I'll open them up
tonight and maybe add some to noodles and stirfried green beans.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I would bet it's mustard greens. Usually they're sold in half heads,
> about the size of a closed fist and split in half with the shape of a
> large baby bok choy. Sometimes they're jullienned/shredded.
>
> Lettuce usually comes in cans. I've never seen bagged preserved
> cabbage.
>
> -sw

I tried it tonight. I like it, but I still can't identify it. It's
long stringy leaves bundled together; I'll guess Chinese cabbage. (it
looks a little like cured tobacco) It doesn't taste mustardy at all.

I sliced a handful and mixed it into some stirfried frozen French-cut
green beans and some onion in a little oil. Cooked it all together
while the Cantonese noodles cooked, then added the drained noodles, some
garlic powder, ginger powder, and crushed red pepper. Then continued
stirfrying until the noodles were fully cooked and kind of dry.

The cabbage (or whatever it was) made up for the lack of meat, even more
than mushrooms or seaweed does. But I hate to think how much sodium I
just ate. Next time I'll try soaking it first.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 11:54*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I was looking for a bag of dried chopped kelp and mushrooms; I've bought
> it there before but they were out or have stopped carrying it. *So I
> bought 2 different kinds of seaweed and will see how they work.
>
> But I also bought a bag of dried red dates, a bag (not an earthenware
> jar) of "preserved vegetable", some ginger candy, and fresh bok choi.
> They didn't have any pork uteri.

Was that disappointing? Do you have a killer recipe for pork uteri?

> -Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> On May 11, 11:54 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> [snip]
>> They didn't have any pork uteri.
>>

> Was that disappointing? Do you have a killer recipe for pork uteri?

> --Bryan

No, I just knew that if I didn't mention it someone would ask :-)

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 11:49*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011 21:06:47 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
> > Was that disappointing? *Do you have a killer recipe for pork uteri?

> I eat it about once a month as part of the Cantonese BBQ "steamed
> marinated combo" entree. *We usually get a chopped duck or a pound.5
> of BBQ pork to go with that.
>
> The uteri really are the least appetizing past of that combo. *But it
> does grow on you. *I eat it all, but it's not a destination food. *The
> marinade is where it's at. *And the testicles and tongue.

I am laughing. I have no idea whether what you wrote is true, but for
some reason it seems funny that anyone would eat uteruses and
testicles when the person wasn't impoverished. Shit, I'd go
vegetarian before marinated pork uteri. I'm still laughing. Thank
you.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

being a hill billie, i eat some stuff that others find non appetizing, but
this is where i draw the line, Lee

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On May 12, 11:49 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011 21:06:47 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
> > Was that disappointing? Do you have a killer recipe for pork uteri?

> I eat it about once a month as part of the Cantonese BBQ "steamed
> marinated combo" entree. We usually get a chopped duck or a pound.5
> of BBQ pork to go with that.
>
> The uteri really are the least appetizing past of that combo. But it
> does grow on you. I eat it all, but it's not a destination food. The
> marinade is where it's at. And the testicles and tongue.

I am laughing. I have no idea whether what you wrote is true, but for
some reason it seems funny that anyone would eat uteruses and
testicles when the person wasn't impoverished. Shit, I'd go
vegetarian before marinated pork uteri. I'm still laughing. Thank
you.

> -sw

--Bryan