Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Snickers Salad

I can't believe this recipe!

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html

It's just wrong!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I can't believe this recipe!
>
> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>
> It's just wrong!

I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat Cool-Whip.
Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in popularity
though, thankfully.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>
>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>
>> It's just wrong!

> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat Cool-Whip.
> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in
> popularity
> though, thankfully.

I know. And I know quite a few people who love the stuff. They eat it
straight up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 May 2014 05:09:17 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > I can't believe this recipe!
> >
> > http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
> >
> > It's just wrong!

> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat Cool-Whip.
> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in popularity
> though, thankfully.

I can't believe there are still people who are incapable of
substituting whipped cream for cool whip without making a federal case
of it.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 May 2014 05:09:17 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> > I can't believe this recipe!
>> >
>> > http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>> >
>> > It's just wrong!

>> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat
>> Cool-Whip.
>> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in
>> popularity
>> though, thankfully.

> I can't believe there are still people who are incapable of
> substituting whipped cream for cool whip without making a federal case
> of it.

That still wouldn't help this recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 12:09 AM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>
>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>
>> It's just wrong!

> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat Cool-Whip.
> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in popularity
> though, thankfully.

I just made a couple of desserts for our RV club rally next week. The
rally master gave me the recipe. It called for Cool Whip. We didn't
even know where they kept it in the grocery store and had to ask.

We don't eat fake food.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 1:27 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2014 05:09:17 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>>
>>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>>
>>> It's just wrong!

>> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat Cool-Whip.
>> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in popularity
>> though, thankfully.

> I can't believe there are still people who are incapable of
> substituting whipped cream for cool whip without making a federal case
> of it.

Cool Whip doesn't lose it's shape like real whipped cream.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I can't believe this recipe!
>
> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>
> It's just wrong!

I've made that recipe, but I left out the apples and the Cool Whip.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 2 May 2014 05:09:17 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:

>>> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat
>>> Cool-Whip.
>>> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in
>>> popularity
>>> though, thankfully.

>> I can't believe there are still people who are incapable of
>> substituting whipped cream for cool whip without making a federal case
>> of it.
>>

> That still wouldn't help this recipe.

Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them appeal
to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 11:36 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>
>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>
>> It's just wrong!

> I've made that recipe, but I left out the apples and the Cool Whip.
>
> -

LOL.. it was probably a lot tastier. I had a look at that recipe. I
can't imagine anyone making that. However.... look who posted it. Nuff
said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 May 2014 12:12:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-05-02 11:36 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I can't believe this recipe!
> >>
> >> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
> >>
> >> It's just wrong!

> > I've made that recipe, but I left out the apples and the Cool Whip.
> >
> > -

> LOL.. it was probably a lot tastier. I had a look at that recipe. I
> can't imagine anyone making that. However.... look who posted it. Nuff
> said.

What do you want from her? She said "it's just wrong".

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 12:02 PM, Cheri wrote:
> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.
>
> Cheri

I used to see recipes like this in cooking magazines when I subscribed
to them. Cooking Light Magazine had some good recipes for a few years.
Cooking Light used to be about easy, more healthful food.

I cancelled the subscription around 1990 because all of a sudden most of
the recipes in the magazines seemed to be about DESSERTS. Really? This
is "Light"? Let's try not to use the word "light" lightly.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 1:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 02 May 2014 12:12:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I've made that recipe, but I left out the apples and the Cool Whip.
>>>
>>> -

>> LOL.. it was probably a lot tastier. I had a look at that recipe. I
>> can't imagine anyone making that. However.... look who posted it. Nuff
>> said.

> What do you want from her? She said "it's just wrong".

That would be the limit of my knowledge of what she wrote. I don't know
how much Steve may have saved from or edited out of the OP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 1:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/2/2014 12:02 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
>> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.
>>
>> Cheri

> I used to see recipes like this in cooking magazines when I subscribed
> to them. Cooking Light Magazine had some good recipes for a few years.
> Cooking Light used to be about easy, more healthful food.

I had many years of Cooking Light Magazine in binders with the annual
indices. Donated them to the local public library when we went on the
road in 1996.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:09:17 PM UTC-10, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > I can't believe this recipe!

> > http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html

> > It's just wrong!

> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat Cool-Whip.
>
> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in popularity
>
> though, thankfully.

I don't think Cool-Whip is a wartime product. It's advantage over whipped cream is obvious - it's a stable product that will keep in your refrigerator for long periods of time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:
> On Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:09:17 PM UTC-10, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> I can't believe this recipe!

>>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html

>>> It's just wrong!

Despite its ingreients, I've actually eaten this on more than one occasion.
The recipe you quoted there is not entirely accurate. The "real" recipe
also includes a box of powdered vanilla pudding mix as well.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 9:52:34 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> dsi1 <> wrote:

> Despite its ingreients, I've actually eaten this on more than one occasion.
>
> The recipe you quoted there is not entirely accurate. The "real" recipe
>
> also includes a box of powdered vanilla pudding mix as well.
>

> --
>
> jinx the minx

Your quoting is all over the map. No matter, it's a quite the exotic foods that you people on the mainland cook up. OTOH, I'll try anything with Snickers in it at least once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 3:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat
>> Cool-Whip.
>>
>> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in
>> popularity
>>
>> though, thankfully.

> I don't think Cool-Whip is a wartime product. It's advantage over
> whipped cream is obvious - it's a stable product that will keep in
> your refrigerator for long periods of time.

Maybe he is thinking of the Vietnam war, since it was introduced in
1966. Before that, most people's refrigerators did not have freezer
sections big enough for stuff like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 10:26:32 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-02 3:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> >> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat

> >> Cool-Whip.

> >> Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are waning in

> >> popularity

> >> though, thankfully.

> > I don't think Cool-Whip is a wartime product. It's advantage over

> > whipped cream is obvious - it's a stable product that will keep in

> > your refrigerator for long periods of time.

> Maybe he is thinking of the Vietnam war, since it was introduced in
>
> 1966. Before that, most people's refrigerators did not have freezer
>
> sections big enough for stuff like that.

My idea of a wartime product is one that is introduced as a substitute because of resources diverted towards war makes the real stuff scarce or a product in a form suitable for use in the field of battle. I doubt that Cool-Hwip qualifies. The important part is that you're willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. That's nice of you. Me, I won't tolerate that.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 2014 9:52:34 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> dsi1 <> wrote:

>> Despite its ingreients, I've actually eaten this on more than one occasion.
>>
>> The recipe you quoted there is not entirely accurate. The "real" recipe
>>
>> also includes a box of powdered vanilla pudding mix as well.
>>

>> --
>>
>> jinx the minx

> Your quoting is all over the map. No matter, it's a quite the exotic
> foods that you people on the mainland cook up. OTOH, I'll try anything
> with Snickers in it at least once.

It quite honestly tastes like vanilla pudding/custard with bites of
snickers and apples. It's not horrible, despite the contents. Julie's
version, without the pudding, is gross. It's a common potluck/holiday
party dish around here.
--
jinx the minx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

>>> I don't think Cool-Whip is a wartime product. It's advantage over

>>> whipped cream is obvious - it's a stable product that will keep in

>>> your refrigerator for long periods of time.

>> Maybe he is thinking of the Vietnam war, since it was introduced in
>>
>> 1966. Before that, most people's refrigerators did not have freezer
>>
>> sections big enough for stuff like that.

> My idea of a wartime product is one that is introduced as a substitute
> because of resources diverted towards war makes the real stuff scarce or
> a product in a form suitable for use in the field of battle. I doubt that
> Cool-Hwip qualifies. The important part is that you're willing to give
> him the benefit of a doubt. That's nice of you. Me, I won't tolerate that.
>
> :-)

It was an incorrect assumption. As by 1966 most people had a refrigerator
and a freezer, I can not imagine the benefit of using Cool-Whip over real
whipped cream, especially considering that the flavor and mouthfeel of
Cool-Whip is very much inferior to the real thing.

The only advantages I can see are from the POV of the retailer and
manufacturer - you can sell a product that is very inexpensive to
manufacture at a premium price, and it can be kept frozen until placed on
display.

Grody.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 2 May 2014 05:09:17 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex

>>> I can't believe there are still people who are incapable of
>>> substituting whipped cream for cool whip without making a federal case
>>> of it.
>>>

>> That still wouldn't help this recipe.

> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.

I don't think I've seen a candy bar pie recipe. I tend to skip over recipes
for sweets in magazines, because I would never make them. Just seems
bizarre to cut up a candy bar and call it salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/2/2014 12:02 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
>> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.
>>
>> Cheri

> I used to see recipes like this in cooking magazines when I subscribed to
> them. Cooking Light Magazine had some good recipes for a few years.
> Cooking Light used to be about easy, more healthful food.
>
> I cancelled the subscription around 1990 because all of a sudden most of
> the recipes in the magazines seemed to be about DESSERTS. Really? This
> is "Light"? Let's try not to use the word "light" lightly.

Yeah. The diabetes recipe books and magazines are the same. I just don't
do desserts. Once in a while I'll make baked apples. That's about as far
as it goes unless someone asks me to bake something for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>
>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>
>> It's just wrong!

> I've made that recipe, but I left out the apples and the Cool Whip.

Yeah. My husband is an expert on that one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-02 11:36 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>>
>>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>>
>>> It's just wrong!

>> I've made that recipe, but I left out the apples and the Cool Whip.
>>
>> -

> LOL.. it was probably a lot tastier. I had a look at that recipe. I can't
> imagine anyone making that. However.... look who posted it. Nuff said.

Um... Uh... Wha? I didn't make the recipe. I found it looking for
something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-02 1:28 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 May 2014 12:12:38 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> LOL.. it was probably a lot tastier. I had a look at that recipe. I
>>> can't imagine anyone making that. However.... look who posted it. Nuff
>>> said.

>> What do you want from her? She said "it's just wrong".

> That would be the limit of my knowledge of what she wrote. I don't know
> how much Steve may have saved from or edited out of the OP.

But you still had to reply, huh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> dsi1 > wrote:

> Despite its ingreients, I've actually eaten this on more than one
> occasion.
> The recipe you quoted there is not entirely accurate. The "real" recipe
> also includes a box of powdered vanilla pudding mix as well.

Yikes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 4:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 5/2/2014 12:02 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
>>> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I used to see recipes like this in cooking magazines when I subscribed
>> to them. Cooking Light Magazine had some good recipes for a few
>> years. Cooking Light used to be about easy, more healthful food.
>>
>> I cancelled the subscription around 1990 because all of a sudden most
>> of the recipes in the magazines seemed to be about DESSERTS. Really?
>> This is "Light"? Let's try not to use the word "light" lightly.
>>

> Yeah. The diabetes recipe books and magazines are the same. I just
> don't do desserts. Once in a while I'll make baked apples. That's
> about as far as it goes unless someone asks me to bake something for them.

I make granitas, using Splenda, and almond and coconut macaroons for DH.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 5/2/2014 4:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I used to see recipes like this in cooking magazines when I subscribed
>>> to them. Cooking Light Magazine had some good recipes for a few
>>> years. Cooking Light used to be about easy, more healthful food.
>>>
>>> I cancelled the subscription around 1990 because all of a sudden most
>>> of the recipes in the magazines seemed to be about DESSERTS. Really?
>>> This is "Light"? Let's try not to use the word "light" lightly.
>>>

>> Yeah. The diabetes recipe books and magazines are the same. I just
>> don't do desserts. Once in a while I'll make baked apples. That's
>> about as far as it goes unless someone asks me to bake something for
>> them.

> I make granitas, using Splenda, and almond and coconut macaroons for DH.

Okay. But I'm not into stuff like that. Didn't eat it before diabetes.
Sure not gonna eat it now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> That still wouldn't help this recipe.

>> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
>> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.

> I don't think I've seen a candy bar pie recipe. I tend to skip over
> recipes for sweets in magazines, because I would never make them. Just
> seems bizarre to cut up a candy bar and call it salad.

There are a lot of these kinds of recipes out there, as I said, they don't
appeal to me, but here's a sample. Some of them are truly disgusting IMO,
but I guess some people must like them. Same thing with the Watergate Salad.
How they can call that a salad is bizarre to me, but it is good.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe...Pie/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
>>> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.

>> I don't think I've seen a candy bar pie recipe. I tend to skip over
>> recipes for sweets in magazines, because I would never make them. Just
>> seems bizarre to cut up a candy bar and call it salad.

> There are a lot of these kinds of recipes out there, as I said, they don't
> appeal to me, but here's a sample. Some of them are truly disgusting IMO,
> but I guess some people must like them. Same thing with the Watergate
> Salad. How they can call that a salad is bizarre to me, but it is good.
>
> http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe...Pie/index.html

That doesn't sound good to me but at least it makes more sense than a candy
salad. I've seen recipes for pinata cakes. Bake the candy into the cake so
it falls out when you cut it. Not my thing but cute idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> "Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
> -s
> eptember.org...
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>>
>>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>>
>>> It's just wrong!

>> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat
>> Cool-Whip. Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are
>> waning in popularity
>> though, thankfully.

> I know. And I know quite a few people who love the stuff. They eat
> it straight up.

That's because you associate with low quality people.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in
b.com:

> On 5/2/2014 4:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I used to see recipes like this in cooking magazines when I
>>> subscribed to them. Cooking Light Magazine had some good recipes
>>> for a few years. Cooking Light used to be about easy, more healthful
>>> food.
>>>
>>> I cancelled the subscription around 1990 because all of a sudden
>>> most of the recipes in the magazines seemed to be about DESSERTS.
>>> Really? This is "Light"? Let's try not to use the word "light"
>>> lightly.
>>>

>> Yeah. The diabetes recipe books and magazines are the same. I just
>> don't do desserts. Once in a while I'll make baked apples. That's
>> about as far as it goes unless someone asks me to bake something for
>> them.

> I make granitas, using Splenda, and almond and coconut macaroons for
> DH.

You could save both money and carbs buying a pouch of pure sucralose.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in
:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Why is this recipe any worse than a candy bar pie etc.? None of them
>>> appeal to me, but they're in a lot of magazines etc.

>> I don't think I've seen a candy bar pie recipe. I tend to skip over
>> recipes for sweets in magazines, because I would never make them.
>> Just seems bizarre to cut up a candy bar and call it salad.

> There are a lot of these kinds of recipes out there, as I said, they
> don't appeal to me, but here's a sample. Some of them are truly
> disgusting IMO, but I guess some people must like them. Same thing
> with the Watergate Salad. How they can call that a salad is bizarre to
> me, but it is good.

It's freakin' repulsive.

> http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/13611

_Buddy_Valastro_Candy_Pie/ind
> ex.html

Buddy Valastro should have his tesicles crushed, or removed entirely.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in
eb.com:

> On 5/2/2014 1:27 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 May 2014 05:09:17 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:

>>> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat
>>> Cool-Whip. Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are
>>> waning in popularity though, thankfully.

>> I can't believe there are still people who are incapable of
>> substituting whipped cream for cool whip without making a federal
>> case of it.
>>

> Cool Whip doesn't lose it's shape like real whipped cream.

Neither does concrete, and like Cool Whip, only a moron would call it food.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 5:47 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> b.com...

>>> Yeah. The diabetes recipe books and magazines are the same. I just
>>> don't do desserts. Once in a while I'll make baked apples. That's
>>> about as far as it goes unless someone asks me to bake something for
>>> them.

>> I make granitas, using Splenda, and almond and coconut macaroons for DH.

> Okay. But I'm not into stuff like that. Didn't eat it before diabetes.
> Sure not gonna eat it now.

Yeah, you wouldn't like them anyway.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 6:57 PM, Winters_Lackey wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote in
> b.com:

>>> Yeah. The diabetes recipe books and magazines are the same. I just
>>> don't do desserts. Once in a while I'll make baked apples. That's
>>> about as far as it goes unless someone asks me to bake something for
>>> them.

>> I make granitas, using Splenda, and almond and coconut macaroons for
>> DH.
>>

> You could save both money and carbs buying a pouch of pure sucralose.

It disagrees with me

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:07:56 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> dsi1 <> wrote:

> >> Despite its ingreients, I've actually eaten this on more than one occasion.

> >> The recipe you quoted there is not entirely accurate. The "real" recipe

> >> also includes a box of powdered vanilla pudding mix as well.

> >> --

> >> jinx the minx

> > Your quoting is all over the map. No matter, it's a quite the exotic

> > foods that you people on the mainland cook up. OTOH, I'll try anything

> > with Snickers in it at least once.

> It quite honestly tastes like vanilla pudding/custard with bites of
>
> snickers and apples. It's not horrible, despite the contents. Julie's
>
> version, without the pudding, is gross. It's a common potluck/holiday
>
> party dish around here.

Just to make it clear, I'm not the one that said that Snickers salad is "just wrong." I'm here to learn and teach, not judge and criticize. Thanks for the straight dope on this most unusual dish. Boy, it sure sounds like a Middle American dish.

> --
>
> jinx the minx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:14:04 AM UTC-10, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> dsi1 <> wrote:

> >> Maybe he is thinking of the Vietnam war, since it was introduced in

> >> 1966. Before that, most people's refrigerators did not have freezer

> >> sections big enough for stuff like that.

> > My idea of a wartime product is one that is introduced as a substitute

> > because of resources diverted towards war makes the real stuff scarce or

> > a product in a form suitable for use in the field of battle. I doubt that

> > Cool-Hwip qualifies. The important part is that you're willing to give

> > him the benefit of a doubt. That's nice of you. Me, I won't tolerate that.

> > :-)

> It was an incorrect assumption. As by 1966 most people had a refrigerator
>
> and a freezer, I can not imagine the benefit of using Cool-Whip over real
>
> whipped cream, especially considering that the flavor and mouthfeel of
>
> Cool-Whip is very much inferior to the real thing.

I have no idea what you mean by incorrect assumption. What the heck does Cool Whip have to do with any number of the wars that were ongoing?

So you got your piece of pumpkin pie - what the heck are you going to do with it? You can eat it plain. You can eat it with canned whipped cream. You can eat it with Coo Hwip, or you can whip up some cream and serve it with the pie. I know what most people would do. I know what I'd do. Feel free to do whatever you wish but what's it gotta do with me?

> The only advantages I can see are from the POV of the retailer and
>
> manufacturer - you can sell a product that is very inexpensive to
>
> manufacture at a premium price, and it can be kept frozen until placed on
>
> display.
>

> Grody.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in
eb.com:

> On 5/2/2014 12:09 AM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> I can't believe this recipe!
>>>
>>> http://www.cooks.com/recipe/wp4d06jz...ers-salad.html
>>>
>>> It's just wrong!

>> I just can't believe that there are still people around who eat
>> Cool-Whip. Many of these artificial wartime replacement foods are
>> waning in popularity though, thankfully.
>>

> I just made a couple of desserts for our RV club rally next week. The
> rally master gave me the recipe. It called for Cool Whip. We didn't
> even know where they kept it in the grocery store and had to ask.
>
> We don't eat fake food.

So you made it? Where do draw the line? Is the rally master so respected
that you'd do whatever? I guess that motorhomers tend to have a lot more
money than taste.

Really though, you're doing the world a favor. When an obscene consumer of
fossil fuels dies of heart disease from slopping himself or herself with
PHVOs...
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7162038AA2YEJf

I just hope that other innocent motorists don't get killed when they have a
coronary on the highways.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

Snickers Ice Cream Pie jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 16-04-2007 06:12 PM
Snickers® Surprises Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2006 10:52 PM
Pedro's Snickers Chimichanga Duckie ® Recipes 0 26-08-2005 11:09 PM
Snickers Cheesecake Cindy Recipes (moderated) 0 17-02-2005 04:15 AM
Snickers Cheesecake Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 14-02-2005 04:43 AM