Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jalapenos, yes again!

So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I bought
some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking stuff
on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were so
hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the white),
lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes. The
stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't eat
it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they were
seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it all
tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I bought
>> some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking
>> stuff
>> on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were
>> so
>> hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
>> very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
>> Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the
>> white),
>> lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes.
>> The
>> stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't eat
>> it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
>> all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they
>> were
>> seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it
>> all
>> tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
> hallucinating.

Not hallucinating and I see that I made a typo. I put in green onion. Not
pepper. I do know that heat as in oven/stove heat will bring out the heat
in the peppers. My MIL warned me of this! I was making my espinaca con
queso and it tasted fine to me when I first put in the peppers but after it
had sat for a few minutes on the heat, aye Chihuahua! The males in my
husband's family loved it though. They are heat seekers.

Could it be that chilling could lessen the heat? Or could it have to do
with the lime juice?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I
>>> bought
>>> some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking
>>> stuff
>>> on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were
>>> so
>>> hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
>>> very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
>>> Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the
>>> white),
>>> lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes.
>>> The
>>> stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't
>>> eat
>>> it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
>>> all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they
>>> were
>>> seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it
>>> all
>>> tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

>> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>> hallucinating.

> Not hallucinating and I see that I made a typo. I put in green onion.
> Not pepper. I do know that heat as in oven/stove heat will bring out the
> heat in the peppers. My MIL warned me of this! I was making my espinaca
> con queso and it tasted fine to me when I first put in the peppers but
> after it had sat for a few minutes on the heat, aye Chihuahua! The males
> in my husband's family loved it though. They are heat seekers.
>
> Could it be that chilling could lessen the heat? Or could it have to do
> with the lime juice?

Did you leave it unattended? Could one of those heat seekers have added
more?

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:22:11 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>>> hallucinating.

>> Not hallucinating .... Could it be that chilling could lessen the heat?
>> Or could it have to do
>> with the lime juice?

> No. And no. You're hallucinating. This is just another one of those
> things that happens only to you.

Well... It never happened to me before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Robert" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>>> hallucinating.

>> Not hallucinating and I see that I made a typo. I put in green onion.
>> Not pepper. I do know that heat as in oven/stove heat will bring out the
>> heat in the peppers. My MIL warned me of this! I was making my espinaca
>> con queso and it tasted fine to me when I first put in the peppers but
>> after it had sat for a few minutes on the heat, aye Chihuahua! The males
>> in my husband's family loved it though. They are heat seekers.
>>
>> Could it be that chilling could lessen the heat? Or could it have to do
>> with the lime juice?

> Did you leave it unattended? Could one of those heat seekers have added
> more?

Added more? I said that it lost its heat. And nobody else went near it.

Oh you mean the espinaca con queso? No. Nobody else did anything. My MIL
did tell me that the peppers heat would intensify when they got hot from the
stove. And she was right. I don't know for sure what kind of peppers they
were. FIL grew them. They were small, pointy, red and dried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/04/2013 10:12 PM, Robert wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

(snip)

The

>>> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>>> hallucinating.

>> Not hallucinating and I see that I made a typo. I put in green onion.
>> Not pepper. I do know that heat as in oven/stove heat will bring out
>> the heat in the peppers. My MIL warned me of this! I was making my
>> espinaca con queso and it tasted fine to me when I first put in the
>> peppers but after it had sat for a few minutes on the heat, aye
>> Chihuahua! The males in my husband's family loved it though. They
>> are heat seekers.
>>
>> Could it be that chilling could lessen the heat? Or could it have to
>> do with the lime juice?

> Did you leave it unattended? Could one of those heat seekers have added
> more?
>

> Robert

I'm with Julie on this. I make my own salsa and put in lots of chiles,
including 6 serranos and 4 habaneros, diced and unseeded. I cook it for
30 minutes to reduce the liquid, cool and store in the refrigerator.
Like Julie, right after it's finished cooking, it has plenty of
spiciness, but the next day it becomes very mild. I don't know what's
happening either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 09:54:09 -0700, Whirled Peas >
wrote:

> On 10/04/2013 10:12 PM, Robert wrote:
> >
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> >> news > >>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>>

> (snip)
>
> The

> >> Not hallucinating and I see that I made a typo. I put in green onion.
> >> Not pepper. I do know that heat as in oven/stove heat will bring out
> >> the heat in the peppers. My MIL warned me of this! I was making my
> >> espinaca con queso and it tasted fine to me when I first put in the
> >> peppers but after it had sat for a few minutes on the heat, aye
> >> Chihuahua! The males in my husband's family loved it though. They
> >> are heat seekers.
> >>
> >> Could it be that chilling could lessen the heat? Or could it have to
> >> do with the lime juice?

> > Did you leave it unattended? Could one of those heat seekers have added
> > more?
> >

> > Robert

> I'm with Julie on this. I make my own salsa and put in lots of chiles,
> including 6 serranos and 4 habaneros, diced and unseeded. I cook it for
> 30 minutes to reduce the liquid, cool and store in the refrigerator.
> Like Julie, right after it's finished cooking, it has plenty of
> spiciness, but the next day it becomes very mild. I don't know what's
> happening either.

No explanation for you, but I made a quart of traditional American
style chili sauce last night. Traditional chili sauce has no hot
peppers in it, but I added half a jalapeno (minus seeds) plus 1 or 2
tsp harissa... and it's "warmer" than I'd intended it to be this
morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
> On 10/04/2013 10:12 PM, Robert wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>>

> (snip)
>
> The

>>> Not hallucinating and I see that I made a typo. I put in green onion.
>>> Not pepper. I do know that heat as in oven/stove heat will bring out
>>> the heat in the peppers. My MIL warned me of this! I was making my
>>> espinaca con queso and it tasted fine to me when I first put in the
>>> peppers but after it had sat for a few minutes on the heat, aye
>>> Chihuahua! The males in my husband's family loved it though. They
>>> are heat seekers.
>>>
>>> Could it be that chilling could lessen the heat? Or could it have to
>>> do with the lime juice?

>> Did you leave it unattended? Could one of those heat seekers have added
>> more?
>>

>> Robert

> I'm with Julie on this. I make my own salsa and put in lots of chiles,
> including 6 serranos and 4 habaneros, diced and unseeded. I cook it for 30
> minutes to reduce the liquid, cool and store in the refrigerator. Like
> Julie, right after it's finished cooking, it has plenty of spiciness, but
> the next day it becomes very mild. I don't know what's happening either.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey folks, the chili seeds do not carry the heat. This is a falsehood that is
seems to be "common knowledge". The heat is carried in the pith and the main part
of the pepper.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 16:50:27 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 09:54:09 -0700, Whirled Peas wrote:
>
>> I'm with Julie on this. I make my own salsa and put in lots of chiles,
>> including 6 serranos and 4 habaneros, diced and unseeded. I cook it for
>> 30 minutes to reduce the liquid, cool and store in the refrigerator.
>> Like Julie, right after it's finished cooking, it has plenty of
>> spiciness, but the next day it becomes very mild. I don't know what's
>> happening either.

>Capsaicin does not evaporate nor lose it's potency.
>
>-sw

but if you have something fatty, dairy or sugar before eating hot
peppers, the receptors on the tongue will be somewhat blocked.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 16:50:27 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 09:54:09 -0700, Whirled Peas wrote:
>>
>>> I'm with Julie on this. I make my own salsa and put in lots of chiles,
>>> including 6 serranos and 4 habaneros, diced and unseeded. I cook it for
>>> 30 minutes to reduce the liquid, cool and store in the refrigerator.
>>> Like Julie, right after it's finished cooking, it has plenty of
>>> spiciness, but the next day it becomes very mild. I don't know what's
>>> happening either.

>>Capsaicin does not evaporate nor lose it's potency.
>>
>>-sw

> but if you have something fatty, dairy or sugar before eating hot
> peppers, the receptors on the tongue will be somewhat blocked.
> Janet US

Yes. But there was no fat in my meal. Just black beans with salt topped
with the pico de gallo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2013 12:13 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I bought
>> some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking stuff
>> on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were so
>> hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
>> very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
>> Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the white),
>> lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes. The
>> stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't eat
>> it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
>> all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they were
>> seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it all
>> tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
> hallucinating.
>
> -sw

I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 10/5/2013 12:13 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I
>>> bought
>>> some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking
>>> stuff
>>> on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were
>>> so
>>> hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
>>> very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
>>> Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the
>>> white),
>>> lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes.
>>> The
>>> stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't
>>> eat
>>> it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
>>> all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they
>>> were
>>> seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it
>>> all
>>> tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

>> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>> hallucinating.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

No. It wasn't hot on the two subsequent days that I ate it either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
> > hallucinating.
> >

> I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

For some strange reason, things often happen to Julie that never
happens to anyone else. I still sometimes think she's trolling us
occasionally. heheh oops! Hi Julie.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>> > Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>> > hallucinating.
>> >

>> I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

> For some strange reason, things often happen to Julie that never
> happens to anyone else. I still sometimes think she's trolling us
> occasionally. heheh oops! Hi Julie.

Well, no. And another person did post that it happened to them as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> eb.com...

>>> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>>> hallucinating.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

> No. It wasn't hot on the two subsequent days that I ate it either.

When I cook sauce and add heat, cool or freeze, it losses heat.

My bell jars of my dried habanero loose heat after a year or two, or more.
I even add salt to keep dry.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 20:47:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Cheryl wrote:

> >> I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

> > For some strange reason, things often happen to Julie that never
> > happens to anyone else. I still sometimes think she's trolling us
> > occasionally. heheh oops! Hi Julie.

> Well, no. And another person did post that it happened to them as well.

Actually, I'm glad to hear about that. I made some "American style"
chilie sauce last week and added both jalapeno and harissa (which is a
Moroccan style chilie paste) to it - which turned out hotter than I
intended it to be, so if it will mellow... then that's a good thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2013 11:51 PM, gregz wrote:

> My bell jars of my dried habanero loose heat after a year or two, or more.
> I even add salt to keep dry.
>
> Greg

If you're trying to retard moisture, don't add salt. Add grains of
white rice to the jars of dried peppers. It will soak up any
"humidity". Actually, adding rice to salt shakers keeps it
free-flowing, too. It's a trick us backwards "Southerners" (love that
label, sf) picked up along the way.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

>> No. It wasn't hot on the two subsequent days that I ate it either.

> When I cook sauce and add heat, cool or freeze, it losses heat.
>
> My bell jars of my dried habanero loose heat after a year or two, or more.
> I even add salt to keep dry.

Interesting! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 00:47:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Actually, adding rice to salt shakers keeps it
> free-flowing, too. It's a trick us backwards "Southerners" (love that
> label, sf) picked up along the way.

I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 00:47:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Actually, adding rice to salt shakers keeps it
>> free-flowing, too. It's a trick us backwards "Southerners" (love that
>> label, sf) picked up along the way.

> I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
> work.

I have read that it is not recommended to do because the rice can harbor
icky stuff once it picks up the moisture. So what if the salt clumps? I
just shake or bang the shaker when that happens and then it's all good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2013 2:47 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 00:47:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Actually, adding rice to salt shakers keeps it
>> free-flowing, too. It's a trick us backwards "Southerners" (love that
>> label, sf) picked up along the way.

> I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
> work.

Too bad for you. It works here and it worked in Bangkok.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 03:43:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/10/2013 2:47 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 00:47:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, adding rice to salt shakers keeps it
> >> free-flowing, too. It's a trick us backwards "Southerners" (love that
> >> label, sf) picked up along the way.

> > I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
> > work.
> >

> Too bad for you. It works here and it worked in Bangkok.

I threw it out and bought salt that didn't clump. If I was in the
tropics, I'd use a salt grinder. Problem solved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2013 12:22 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 03:43:42 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/10/2013 2:47 AM, sf wrote:

>>> I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
>>> work.
>>>

>> Too bad for you. It works here and it worked in Bangkok.
>>

> I threw it out and bought salt that didn't clump. If I was in the
> tropics, I'd use a salt grinder. Problem solved.

I actually own a salt grinder. I have no idea why. The problem is
finding salt that needs to be ground. The only kind I can find is rock
salt and the only thing I can think of using rock salt for is salting a
frozen walkway. Or churning ice cream, which I don't do.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/13 3:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 2:47 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 00:47:06 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, adding rice to salt shakers keeps it
>>> free-flowing, too. It's a trick us backwards "Southerners" (love that
>>> label, sf) picked up along the way.

>> I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
>> work.
>>

> Too bad for you. It works here and it worked in Bangkok.
>
> Jill

Perhaps sf thought adding it to already "clumpy salt" would fix those
clumps when in fact it acts to prevent the clumping, not fix it.

Works a charm in Georgia with near 100% humidity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/10/2013 12:22 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 03:43:42 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Too bad for you. It works here and it worked in Bangkok.
>>>

>> I threw it out and bought salt that didn't clump. If I was in the
>> tropics, I'd use a salt grinder. Problem solved.
>>

> I actually own a salt grinder. I have no idea why. The problem is
> finding salt that needs to be ground. The only kind I can find is rock
> salt and the only thing I can think of using rock salt for is salting a
> frozen walkway. Or churning ice cream, which I don't do.

I was gifted with one and the salt. There was a brief period of time when I
liked a coarse salt on my salad. But then I discovered Real Salt and liked
it even better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:24:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> But then I discovered Real Salt and liked it even better.

Real Salt is the saltiest salt I've ever tasted! A little goes a
*long* way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:02:06 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

> On 10/10/13 3:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 10/10/2013 2:47 AM, sf wrote:

> >> I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
> >> work.
> >>

> > Too bad for you. It works here and it worked in Bangkok.
> >
> > Jill

> Perhaps sf thought adding it to already "clumpy salt" would fix those
> clumps when in fact it acts to prevent the clumping, not fix it.

You're right, that's what I thought. Salt had never clumped up before
- or since.

> Works a charm in Georgia with near 100% humidity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:24:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> But then I discovered Real Salt and liked it even better.

> Real Salt is the saltiest salt I've ever tasted! A little goes a
> *long* way.

Hmm... I find the opposite to be true. I use more of it than I would of
Morton's type salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:51:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:24:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> But then I discovered Real Salt and liked it even better.

> > Real Salt is the saltiest salt I've ever tasted! A little goes a
> > *long* way.

> Hmm... I find the opposite to be true. I use more of it than I would of
> Morton's type salt.

I thought you were talking about this http://realsalt.com/ but I
guess your weren't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:51:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:24:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Real Salt is the saltiest salt I've ever tasted! A little goes a
>> > *long* way.

>> Hmm... I find the opposite to be true. I use more of it than I would of
>> Morton's type salt.

> I thought you were talking about this http://realsalt.com/ but I
> guess your weren't.

That is what I was talking about. I do not find it saltier than ordinary
salt. But less so. I like the taste better though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> f wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, adding rice to salt shakers keeps it
>>> free-flowing, too. It's a trick us backwards "Southerners" (love that
>>> label, sf) picked up along the way.

>> I tried that rice thing once for clumpy salt and it definitely did not
>> work.
>>

>Too bad for you. It works here and it worked in Bangkok.

Works here also
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I bought
some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking stuff
on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were so
hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the white),
lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes. The
stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't eat
it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they were
seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it all
tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!
Not sure why the heat would go down hill so fast. Know habs in a pot of beans will dissipate over night in the ice box. Major trouble with japs is finding some that are hot to start with. They breeding them mild since the yups discovered the things. Green peppers are well known flavor killers. Maybe that was part of the culprit. Kindly keeps us posted if you get it figured out. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1870806']So my question now is... What would make them lose their
>> heat? I bought
>> some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking
>> stuff
>> on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were
>> so
>> hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
>>
>> very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
>> Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the
>> white),
>> lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes.
>> The
>> stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't
>> eat
>> it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
>>
>> all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they
>> were
>> seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it
>> all
>> tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

> Not sure why the heat would go down hill so fast. Know habs in a pot of
> beans will dissipate over night in the ice box. Major trouble with japs
> is finding some that are hot to start with. They breeding them mild
> since the yups discovered the things. Green peppers are well known
> flavor killers. Maybe that was part of the culprit. Kindly keeps us
> posted if you get it figured out. Thanks.

The green pepper was a typo. Should have said green onion. These are the
first I've had in a while that had any heat. I still have two in the fridge
and I think they're still good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 10/5/2013 12:13 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I bought
>> some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking
>> stuff
>> on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were
>> so
>> hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
>> very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
>> Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the
>> white),
>> lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes.
>> The
>> stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't eat
>> it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
>> all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they
>> were
>> seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it
>> all
>> tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
> hallucinating.
>
> -sw

I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.

There are several points:

1. The active ingredient is a waxy oil called capsicum and it does not
"burn the taste buds" it fools the nerve ending into thinking it is burning.
Its an irritant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaic...health_effects

2. Secondly the white membrane if the fruit and the seeds next to the
membrane contain the greatest concentration.

3. It can be diluted especially with oils or "oily" substances.

4. The primary effect of the "burning" sensation is for the brain to
release endorphins, the "natural high" feel good stuff which is why people
become chili heads and eventually want hotter and hotter chilies.

Finally,

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21645

Many people think that hot peppers cause inflammation to tissues, and that
this is the source of the classic hot pepper sensation. However, hot peppers
don’t actually have any damaging effect; they merely simulate the sensations
produced by damage. (Herbs like garlic , ginger , horseradish, and mustard
actually can cause tissue damage.)

Here’s how it works: All hot peppers contain a substance called capsaicin.
When applied to tissues, capsaicin causes release of a chemical called
substance P. Substance P is ordinarily released when tissues are damaged; it
is part of the system the body uses to detect injury. When hot peppers
artificially release substance P, they trick the nervous system into
thinking that an injury has occurred. The result: a sensation of burning
pain.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> "Cheryl" wrote in message eb.com...
>
> On 10/5/2013 12:13 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:05:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So my question now is... What would make them lose their heat? I bought
>>> some, making sure to get the ugly ones with the brown, crack looking >> stuff
>>> on the outside. Intended to put three in my pico de gallo but they were >> so
>>> hot, I feared that would be overkill. Wound up putting maybe 2.5 in and
>>> very few of the seeds. No real recipe. Just threw it all together.
>>> Tomatoes, white pepper, green pepper (proportionally more than the >> white),
>>> lots of cilantro, little salt and pepper and the juice of three limes. >> The
>>> stuff was so bitey hot as I first stirred it together that I couldn't eat
>>> it! I let it sit for about an hour then retasted. No heat. No heat at
>>> all! What happened? I put a goodly portion on my black beans but they >> were
>>> seasoned only with salt so the end result was boring. Amd finishing it >> all
>>> tonight but stirred some Jalapeno Tabasco in with the beans. Perfect!

>> Nothing makes them lose their heat once prepared. You're
>> hallucinating.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> I'd say she burned her taste buds with the first taste.
>
> There are several points:
>
> 1. The active ingredient is a waxy oil called capsicum and it does not
> "burn the taste buds" it fools the nerve ending into thinking it is
> burning. Its an irritant.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaic...health_effects
>
> 2. Secondly the white membrane if the fruit and the seeds next to the
> membrane contain the greatest concentration.
>
> 3. It can be diluted especially with oils or "oily" substances.
>
> 4. The primary effect of the "burning" sensation is for the brain to
> release endorphins, the "natural high" feel good stuff which is why
> people become chili heads and eventually want hotter and hotter chilies.
>
> Finally,
>
> http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21645
>
> Many people think that hot peppers cause inflammation to tissues, and
> that this is the source of the classic hot pepper sensation. However, hot
> peppers dont actually have any damaging effect; they merely simulate the
> sensations produced by damage. (Herbs like garlic , ginger , horseradish,
> and mustard actually can cause tissue damage.)
>
> Heres how it works: All hot peppers contain a substance called
> capsaicin. When applied to tissues, capsaicin causes release of a
> chemical called substance P. Substance P is ordinarily released when
> tissues are damaged; it is part of the system the body uses to detect
> injury. When hot peppers artificially release substance P, they trick the
> nervous system into thinking that an injury has occurred. The result: a
> sensation of burning pain.
>
> Dimitri

It can also be crystal. The stuff is very light, and can be picked up with
a slight draft. I went into one lab one day, where they had an enclosure
and scale for mixing stuff. I put my hand on the counter, then touched
face. It was burning. I said so, and someone explained the situation. They
were using pure stuff, I think white.
Somehow used with nerve experiments.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2013 12:57 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I actually own a salt grinder. I have no idea why. The problem is
> finding salt that needs to be ground. The only kind I can find is rock
> salt and the only thing I can think of using rock salt for is salting a
> frozen walkway. Or churning ice cream, which I don't do.

The same way disposable pepper mills are sold, salt is sold the same
way. I know you're not interested, just sayin'...

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 18:57:01 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Thanks for the scientific explanation, however, there are lip glosses
> that cause a pucker-up effect and they have capsaicin in them. They
> really do cause swelling, even if temporary.

Really? What brand is that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2013 11:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 18:57:01 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the scientific explanation, however, there are lip glosses
>> that cause a pucker-up effect and they have capsaicin in them. They
>> really do cause swelling, even if temporary.

> Really? What brand is that?

I sure don't want lip gloss that causes my lips to swell (or pucker!)

Jill