Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jalapenos

I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold at
Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:20:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold at
>Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
>poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
>Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

You always freeze them. Chop them and put the in useful sized
baggies. Very nice to have next winter.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> You always freeze them. Chop them and put the in useful sized
> baggies. Very nice to have next winter.

I do the same with fresh sweet corn. I husk them, chop off all the
kernels with my chef's knife then bag them one ear's worth at a time
in fold-lock bags. Roll them up, lick the end and fold over to stick.
Just like we rolled up an ounce of pot in the old days. Freeze them
for up to 6 months. They taste just like when you bought them months
before. No need to blanch first.

On sale here this week.... 5 ears for $1.00. I should have bought some
this morning but just didn't feel like dealing with them today. The
processing is a pita to me but so worth it when you eat some months
down the road.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold at
>Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
>poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
>Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

Pickled Peckers:
http://www.theyummylife.com/Pickled_Jalapeno_Peppers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:20:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold
>>at
>>Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
>>poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
>>Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

> You always freeze them. Chop them and put the in useful sized
> baggies. Very nice to have next winter.

I'd rather not waste the freezer space. It was only about $1.40 for the bag
so I'll either use them up or toss them if I can't use them before they go
bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 6:14:19 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "The Cook" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:20:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold
> >>at
> >>Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
> >>poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
> >>Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

> > You always freeze them. Chop them and put the in useful sized
> > baggies. Very nice to have next winter.

> I'd rather not waste the freezer space. It was only about $1.40 for the bag
> so I'll either use them up or toss them if I can't use them before they go
> bad.

I'd slice them and put them on tossed salad, but I'm a little weird
that way.

Greens, jalapenos, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, scallions,
lime vinaigrette. Add shrimp (which I know you don't like), and
it's dinner.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 6:14:19 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:20:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > You always freeze them. Chop them and put the in useful sized
>> > baggies. Very nice to have next winter.

>> I'd rather not waste the freezer space. It was only about $1.40 for the
>> bag
>> so I'll either use them up or toss them if I can't use them before they
>> go
>> bad.

> I'd slice them and put them on tossed salad, but I'm a little weird
> that way.
>
> Greens, jalapenos, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, scallions,
> lime vinaigrette. Add shrimp (which I know you don't like), and
> it's dinner.

I don't really like any of that except for the greens, tomatoes, cilantro
and scallions. I can't imagine jalapenos on a salad but I guess I could try
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 2:20:30 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold at
> Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
> poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
> Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

Let's now count the rejections of advice.....let the 'don't like's roll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 2:20:30 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they
> > were sold at Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I
> > don't want to make poppers. What else can I do with them? Might
> > need to add something to my Amazon order. Can they be made into a
> > dip of some sort? Thanks.

> Let's now count the rejections of advice.....let the 'don't like's
> roll.

I won't even try. I got shot down on every attempt. I believe it was
4 this round? Maybe I am adding in something from last week since i'm
not totally regular here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 3:29:21 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> I'd rather not waste the freezer space. It was only about $1.40 for the
> >> bag
> >> so I'll either use them up or toss them if I can't use them before they
> >> go
> >> bad.

> > I'd slice them and put them on tossed salad, but I'm a little weird
> > that way.
> >
> > Greens, jalapenos, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, scallions,
> > lime vinaigrette. Add shrimp (which I know you don't like), and
> > it's dinner.

> I don't really like any of that except for the greens, tomatoes, cilantro
> and scallions. I can't imagine jalapenos on a salad but I guess I could try
> it.

You're welcome.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:21:40 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 3:29:21 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> > > I'd slice them and put them on tossed salad, but I'm a little weird
> > > that way.
> > >
> > > Greens, jalapenos, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, scallions,
> > > lime vinaigrette. Add shrimp (which I know you don't like), and
> > > it's dinner.

> > I don't really like any of that except for the greens, tomatoes, cilantro
> > and scallions. I can't imagine jalapenos on a salad but I guess I could try
> > it.

> You're welcome.

LOL! You knew that was going to happen. She could make pickled
peppers, but she won't. She'll also reject this recipe because it
calls for serrano and she has jalapeno.

Hot Giardiniera - Jeff Mauro
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/j...ra-recipe.html

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:21:40 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>> > I don't really like any of that except for the greens, tomatoes,
>> > cilantro
>> > and scallions. I can't imagine jalapenos on a salad but I guess I
>> > could try
>> > it.

>> You're welcome.
>>

> LOL! You knew that was going to happen. She could make pickled
> peppers, but she won't. She'll also reject this recipe because it
> calls for serrano and she has jalapeno.
>
> Hot Giardiniera - Jeff Mauro
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/j...ra-recipe.html

I do like pickled beets and some pickled cucumbers but nobody likes pickled
veggies otherwise. Sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

I don't really have any commentary on the psychology of Ms. Bove, but
steering it off topic a bit:

I love jalapenos but can usually only eat a bit of them without having
them overwhelm my dining experience. Unlike the heat of, say, wasabi
or hot mustard, jalapeno heat doesn't seem to go away quite so quickly.
I'd like to get get the jalapeno flavor but not jalapeno heat.

I've bought pickled jalapenos from lots of different suppliers. Some
are hot some are surprisingly mild, which allows more of what I think
of as the jalapeno flavor to come out.

I'd like to make a dish in which I can get the maximum jalapeno flavor
with the minimum jalapeno heat. How can I take the teeth out of
jalapenos before adding them.

I figure if I gut them of their seeds and pith, then just pickle the
strips, and additionally pickle them in a more acidic solution, then I
might be able to defang them.

Thoughts?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:38:36 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>I don't really have any commentary on the psychology of Ms. Bove, but
>steering it off topic a bit:
>
>I love jalapenos but can usually only eat a bit of them without having
>them overwhelm my dining experience. Unlike the heat of, say, wasabi
>or hot mustard, jalapeno heat doesn't seem to go away quite so quickly.
> I'd like to get get the jalapeno flavor but not jalapeno heat.
>
>I've bought pickled jalapenos from lots of different suppliers. Some
>are hot some are surprisingly mild, which allows more of what I think
>of as the jalapeno flavor to come out.
>
>I'd like to make a dish in which I can get the maximum jalapeno flavor
>with the minimum jalapeno heat. How can I take the teeth out of
>jalapenos before adding them.
>
>I figure if I gut them of their seeds and pith, then just pickle the
>strips, and additionally pickle them in a more acidic solution, then I
>might be able to defang them.
>
>Thoughts?

If you grow your own (can grow in pots) you can purchase seed for them
that has no heat only flavor
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll put Oliverio pickled jalapenos on pizza tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015071014383638784-xxx@yyyzzz...
>I don't really have any commentary on the psychology of Ms. Bove, but
>steering it off topic a bit:
>
> I love jalapenos but can usually only eat a bit of them without having
> them overwhelm my dining experience. Unlike the heat of, say, wasabi or
> hot mustard, jalapeno heat doesn't seem to go away quite so quickly. I'd
> like to get get the jalapeno flavor but not jalapeno heat.
>
> I've bought pickled jalapenos from lots of different suppliers. Some are
> hot some are surprisingly mild, which allows more of what I think of as
> the jalapeno flavor to come out.
>
> I'd like to make a dish in which I can get the maximum jalapeno flavor
> with the minimum jalapeno heat. How can I take the teeth out of jalapenos
> before adding them.
>
> I figure if I gut them of their seeds and pith, then just pickle the
> strips, and additionally pickle them in a more acidic solution, then I
> might be able to defang them.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't like pickled ones but the fresh ones I've gotten of late don't
usually have too much heat to them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-11 04:26:51 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:38:36 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> I'd like to make a dish in which I can get the maximum jalapeno flavor
>> with the minimum jalapeno heat. How can I take the teeth out of
>> jalapenos before adding them.
>>
>> I figure if I gut them of their seeds and pith, then just pickle the
>> strips, and....

> Just stop there - no need to pickle them. You have removed 90-95% of
> their heat assuming they are fresh jalapenos. If you use even
> slightly wilted/wrinkled jalapenos, then the capsaicin has already
> leaked from the membranes into the rest of the flesh.

Excellent info! I was wondering if I just let them age a bit in case
it made them more mild in the process.

> Cut out the pith/membranes with a knife - do not scrape with a spoon.

Duly noted.

I'll also abandon the idea of giving them a few minutes in a fry pan,
to provide additional taming; clearly if I've tapped 90-95%, there's no
reason to do this.

One of my intentions is for vodka infusion. I've tried others attempts
at this before, but they are still too hot. I'm hoping if I check it
every day I can intercede at the right time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2015 10:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Cut out the pith/membranes

"Last of the Independents"

"Reliable bully control 24/7"

Call 1-666-GO2-HELL"

,--.--._
------" _, \___)__
|| / _/____) BAM!
|| \//(____)
------\ (__)
`-----"

GET OUT!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2015 10:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> There's a New And Improved TAM

"Last of the Independents"

"Reliable bully control 24/7"

Call 1-666-GO2-HELL"

,--.--._
------" _, \___)__
|| / _/____) BAM!
|| \//(____)
------\ (__)
`-----"

GET OUT!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2015 9:26 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Ginger gives a nice little heat bite

But enough about your bestial lifestyle...

"Last of the Independents"

"Reliable bully control 24/7"

Call 1-666-GO2-HELL"

,--.--._
------" _, \___)__
|| / _/____) BAM!
|| \//(____)
------\ (__)
`-----"

GET OUT!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-11 15:26:53 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:40:10 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> One of my intentions is for vodka infusion. I've tried others attempts
>> at this before, but they are still too hot. I'm hoping if I check it
>> every day I can intercede at the right time.

> One of my favorite vodkas is ginger (probably my only favorite vodka).
> Scrape off skins from 2" knob of ginger and slice lengthwise thinly
> using a serrated peeler or knife and let steep for 5-10 days (I like
> it strong). You can also add lime or lemon zest and/or crushed
> allspice (crush the allspice in a morter or smash under a cutting
> board). 80 proof ginger ale.

Actually it's in the one that's working now: Ginger and cucumber. I
don't like the ginger too loud, just enough to know it's there.
Yesterday I bought a newly-available aquavit from Iceland called
Brennivin. Taste is somewhat similar to Aalborg. Caraway is, as is
frequently the case, a prime element. It made me think that all the
infused vodkas I do should probably get a least a little caraway
background in them.

> Ginger gives a nice little heat bite that doesn't stick in your mouth
> like the capsaicin in jalapeno. Don't use galangal - tastes like
> medicine. BTDT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:40:10 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> One of my intentions is for vodka infusion. I've tried others attempts
> at this before, but they are still too hot. I'm hoping if I check it
> every day I can intercede at the right time.

I did that a few times. IMO, you're getting too complicated. You cut
it in half, didn't you? The infusion happens in a matter of minutes
in the freezer. Use a fresh jalapeno and start slow - use less pepper
to begin with if it's a hot one. Check every 15-20 minutes. It
shouldn't take more than an hour if your jalapeno is hot (taste it
first to see what you've got). Idea: try a hot Hatch when they're in
season. Or you could use a whole mild Hatch and a sliver of hot.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-11 16:27:44 +0000, sf said:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:40:10 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> One of my intentions is for vodka infusion. I've tried others attempts
>> at this before, but they are still too hot. I'm hoping if I check it
>> every day I can intercede at the right time.

> I did that a few times. IMO, you're getting too complicated. You cut
> it in half, didn't you?

Typos are my stock-in-trade: "others" about should read |other's". I
haven't yet tried it.

> The infusion happens in a matter of minutes
> in the freezer. Use a fresh jalapeno and start slow - use less pepper
> to begin with if it's a hot one. Check every 15-20 minutes. It
> shouldn't take more than an hour if your jalapeno is hot (taste it
> first to see what you've got).

That goes against the grain of everything I've done with
aquavit/infused vodkas. Infusing it in the freezer?! Okay. I'll give
it a shot. Anything that cuts infusion time down I'm willing to try.

> Idea: try a hot Hatch when they're in season. Or you could use a whole
> mild Hatch and a sliver of hot.

I haven't heard of a hatch pepper either, but snooping around it looks
interesting. I'll keep my eyes open. I love pepper tastes of all
kinds, as my current fascination with paprika indicates. But it's the
flavor that wows, as well as *some* heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:06:06 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2015-07-11 16:27:44 +0000, sf said:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:40:10 -0700, gtr > wrote:
> >
> >> One of my intentions is for vodka infusion. I've tried others attempts
> >> at this before, but they are still too hot. I'm hoping if I check it
> >> every day I can intercede at the right time.

> > I did that a few times. IMO, you're getting too complicated. You cut
> > it in half, didn't you?

> Typos are my stock-in-trade: "others" about should read |other's". I
> haven't yet tried it.

OIC.

> > The infusion happens in a matter of minutes
> > in the freezer. Use a fresh jalapeno and start slow - use less pepper
> > to begin with if it's a hot one. Check every 15-20 minutes. It
> > shouldn't take more than an hour if your jalapeno is hot (taste it
> > first to see what you've got).

> That goes against the grain of everything I've done with
> aquavit/infused vodkas. Infusing it in the freezer?! Okay. I'll give
> it a shot. Anything that cuts infusion time down I'm willing to try.

No-no-no, the infusion time is the same AFAIC - but it hurries along
the chilling time so you can "sample" it faster. Heck, throw caution
to the wind and leave it overnight. Try the infusion in a half or
whole pint jar - that way you have some plain vodka to tone it down if
it's too hot and you won't waste the entire 5th if you don't like it.

> > Idea: try a hot Hatch when they're in season. Or you could use a whole
> > mild Hatch and a sliver of hot.

> I haven't heard of a hatch pepper either, but snooping around it looks
> interesting. I'll keep my eyes open. I love pepper tastes of all
> kinds, as my current fascination with paprika indicates. But it's the
> flavor that wows, as well as *some* heat.

I think you need to find Hatch peppers in September. There's nothing
quite like it. They're just enough different from Anaheim that it's
worth the wait.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once had a bottle of Russian cayenne vodka, it was ok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some were talking about vokda, I think vodka is boring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2015 10:09 AM, wrote:
> Some were talking about vokda, I think vodka is boring.

I think one liner statements are boring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I slso think girly men drink lite beer, let's see how can I make this longer, I give up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2015 11:05 AM, wrote:
> I slso think girly men drink lite beer, let's see how can I make this longer, I give up.

I think you should drink pickle water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 1:20:30 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold at
> Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
> poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
> Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

Am reading this with interest as I have them growing in my garden. They did not get eaten in the great garden robbery , when the deer somehow opened the gate and got into the garden !
Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-12 07:01:27 +0000, sf said:

>>> The infusion happens in a matter of minutes
>>> in the freezer. Use a fresh jalapeno and start slow - use less pepper
>>> to begin with if it's a hot one. Check every 15-20 minutes. It
>>> shouldn't take more than an hour if your jalapeno is hot (taste it
>>> first to see what you've got).

>> That goes against the grain of everything I've done with
>> aquavit/infused vodkas. Infusing it in the freezer?! Okay. I'll give
>> it a shot. Anything that cuts infusion time down I'm willing to try.

> No-no-no, the infusion time is the same AFAIC - but it hurries along
> the chilling time so you can "sample" it faster.

That is one of the tricky aspects of doing my aquavits: After I've
finally gotten (usually) two flavor components semi-balanced, I pop it
in the freezer to find out what it's *really* going to taste like. My
last pass was with lots of dill with too little cumin and even less
juniper. Remembering a ruined previous attempt with too much cumin, I
panicked after a few days and removed it. But the dill was
overwhelming. Into the freezer anyway, and the result was pretty good
which certainly surprised me. My friends thought it was stellar and
though I could taste no cumin or juniper they seemed to find it under
the dill somewhere.

In sum--vastly different from pantry to freezer.

> Heck, throw caution
> to the wind and leave it overnight. Try the infusion in a half or
> whole pint jar - that way you have some plain vodka to tone it down if
> it's too hot and you won't waste the entire 5th if you don't like it.

I use Luksusowa in 1.75 liter bottles and have plenty of mason jars.
I've done the occasional test with a pint or so.

>>> Idea: try a hot Hatch when they're in season. Or you could use a whole
>>> mild Hatch and a sliver of hot.

>> I haven't heard of a hatch pepper either, but snooping around it looks
>> interesting. I'll keep my eyes open. I love pepper tastes of all
>> kinds, as my current fascination with paprika indicates. But it's the
>> flavor that wows, as well as *some* heat.

> I think you need to find Hatch peppers in September. There's nothing
> quite like it. They're just enough different from Anaheim that it's
> worth the wait.

I was pondering about Anaheims yesterday at the supermarket. In Texas
that's what they (use to) use for chili rellenos and I remember them
having little heat or flavor; now I ponder whether they would be good
for infusion efforts because of their lack of heat, but can't remember
if their flavor has enough utility. I got a big bag of shishito peppers
at (Korean) HMart for a buck. They may figure in my madness somewhere.

I'm doing all of this today, if my stars are aligned: Garlic dill
pickles (this time blanched a bit), and bread and butters; both from
Hugh Acheson's "Pick a Pickle". Finally vodka with cucumber and ginger
plus a test jug of chili-infused vodka.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-12 16:09:12 +0000, said:

> Some were talking about vokda, I think vodka is boring.

I find it worse than boring, but as a blank canvas for infusions it's a
delight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-12 17:53:20 +0000, rosie said:

> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 1:20:30 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold at
>> Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
>> poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
>> Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

> Am reading this with interest as I have them growing in my garden. They
> did not get eaten in the great garden robbery , when the deer somehow
> opened the gate and got into the garden !

Really? Did they seem to explicitly exclude them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:53:20 -0700 (PDT), rosie >
wrote:

>On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 1:20:30 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold at
>> Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
>> poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to my
>> Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

>Am reading this with interest as I have them growing in my garden. They did not get eaten in the great garden robbery , when the deer somehow opened the gate and got into the garden !
>Rosie

It must be the hot peppers because the deer ate all of my daughter's
non-hot peppers.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Deer would pick every cayenne pepper off of the bush and then spit it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 12:54:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> I'm doing all of this today, if my stars are aligned: Garlic dill
> pickles (this time blanched a bit), and bread and butters; both from
> Hugh Acheson's "Pick a Pickle". Finally vodka with cucumber and ginger
> plus a test jug of chili-infused vodka.

Good luck!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 1:20:30 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were sold
>> at
>> Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
>> poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to
>> my
>> Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

> Am reading this with interest as I have them growing in my garden. They
> did not get eaten in the great garden robbery , when the deer somehow
> opened the gate and got into the garden !
> Rosie

Alas, I didn't use any of the others up. They had gone mushy by the time I
got around to using them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015071212555689350-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-07-12 17:53:20 +0000, rosie said:
>
>> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 1:20:30 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I have a bag of fresh ones. Yes, a bag because that's how they were
>>> sold at
>>> Target. So far more than I need for my gazpacho. I don't want to make
>>> poppers. What else can I do with them? Might need to add something to
>>> my
>>> Amazon order. Can they be made into a dip of some sort? Thanks.

>> Am reading this with interest as I have them growing in my garden. They
>> did not get eaten in the great garden robbery , when the deer somehow
>> opened the gate and got into the garden !

> Really? Did they seem to explicitly exclude them?

I have never had the hot peppers get eaten by critters but they have eaten
pretty much everything else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-12 21:01:45 +0000, sf said:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 12:54:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> I'm doing all of this today, if my stars are aligned: Garlic dill
>> pickles (this time blanched a bit), and bread and butters; both from
>> Hugh Acheson's "Pick a Pickle". Finally vodka with cucumber and ginger
>> plus a test jug of chili-infused vodka.

> Good luck!

Done! The waiting till you can eat/drink is the hardest part anyhow...

Jalapenos - not hot Becca[_5_] General Cooking 32 02-11-2019 11:07 AM
Jalapenos James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 25 28-07-2009 02:44 PM
what I did w/ my jalapenos Uncle Bob Mexican Cooking 1 27-06-2005 04:56 PM
Jalapenos Douglas Barber Barbecue 46 07-08-2004 03:26 PM
Red Jalapenos Jack Sloan Barbecue 9 10-10-2003 12:03 AM