Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default eggwashed and breaded zucchini: doubles

How do you cook a double eggwashed and breaded zucchini? A double is a
couple of zucchini with something in between them, something like a slice of
ham or mozzarella. I'm almost sure it would separate in the frying oil so,
is there someone who did such a thing? Do I have to eggwash also the
interior part of the two zucchini slices, as if the eggs would help keeping
it from falling apart?
I was asking on another ng but the guy disappeared and I have bags of
zucchini incoming from Mom
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> How do you cook a double eggwashed and breaded zucchini? A double is a
> couple of zucchini

SLICES (sorry I forgot)
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 13:59:09 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>How do you cook a double eggwashed and breaded zucchini? A double is a
>couple of zucchini with something in between them, something like a slice of
>ham or mozzarella. I'm almost sure it would separate in the frying oil so,
>is there someone who did such a thing? Do I have to eggwash also the
>interior part of the two zucchini slices, as if the eggs would help keeping
>it from falling apart?
>I was asking on another ng but the guy disappeared and I have bags of
>zucchini incoming from Mom

I would make the zucchini "sandwich", pin it together with toothpicks,
and then dredge the total sandwich. My thinking is that this kind of
sandwich would do best in a deep fat fryer or else in a decent amount
of oil in a pan, rather than planning on browning and cooking one side
and then flipping the zucchini to brown the other side. That's the
way I have seen other food done that is in several layers.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> the frying oil so, is there someone who did such a thing? Do I have
>> to eggwash also the interior part of the two zucchini slices, as if
>> the eggs would help keeping it from falling apart?
>> I was asking on another ng but the guy disappeared and I have bags of
>> zucchini incoming from Mom

> I would make the zucchini "sandwich", pin it together with toothpicks,
> and then dredge the total sandwich.

Oh yeah, this sounds... sound! The gold ol' toothpicks

> My thinking is that this kind of
> sandwich would do best in a deep fat fryer or else in a decent amount
> of oil in a pan, rather than planning on browning and cooking one side
> and then flipping the zucchini to brown the other side. That's the
> way I have seen other food done that is in several layers.

True. I always fry in deep oil so this won't be an issue.
With this your toothpick tip in mind I'm already planning the fillings for
these "sandwiches": mozzarella and anchovie, fontina and ham (or speck),
tomato sauce and mozzarella, unsmoked bacon and caciotta...
Thanks!
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:38:15 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>>> the frying oil so, is there someone who did such a thing? Do I have
>>> to eggwash also the interior part of the two zucchini slices, as if
>>> the eggs would help keeping it from falling apart?
>>> I was asking on another ng but the guy disappeared and I have bags of
>>> zucchini incoming from Mom

>> I would make the zucchini "sandwich", pin it together with toothpicks,
>> and then dredge the total sandwich.

>Oh yeah, this sounds... sound! The gold ol' toothpicks
>
>> My thinking is that this kind of
>> sandwich would do best in a deep fat fryer or else in a decent amount
>> of oil in a pan, rather than planning on browning and cooking one side
>> and then flipping the zucchini to brown the other side. That's the
>> way I have seen other food done that is in several layers.

>True. I always fry in deep oil so this won't be an issue.
>With this your toothpick tip in mind I'm already planning the fillings for
>these "sandwiches": mozzarella and anchovie, fontina and ham (or speck),
>tomato sauce and mozzarella, unsmoked bacon and caciotta...
>Thanks!

send extras to me. They all sound delish.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

>>> I would make the zucchini "sandwich", pin it together with toothpicks,
>>> and then dredge the total sandwich.

>>Oh yeah, this sounds... sound! The gold ol' toothpicks
>>
>>> My thinking is that this kind of
>>> sandwich would do best in a deep fat fryer or else in a decent amount
>>> of oil in a pan, rather than planning on browning and cooking one side
>>> and then flipping the zucchini to brown the other side. That's the
>>> way I have seen other food done that is in several layers.

>>True. I always fry in deep oil so this won't be an issue.
>>With this your toothpick tip in mind I'm already planning the fillings for
>>these "sandwiches": mozzarella and anchovie, fontina and ham (or speck),
>>tomato sauce and mozzarella, unsmoked bacon and caciotta...
>>Thanks!

> send extras to me. They all sound delish.

.... me first, I'm nearest <g>
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:59:09 AM UTC-7, ViLco wrote:
> How do you cook a double eggwashed and breaded zucchini? A double is a
>
> couple of zucchini with something in between them, something like a slice of
>
> ham or mozzarella. ...

> I was asking on another ng but the guy disappeared and I have bags of
>
> zucchini incoming from Mom

Janet B. gave you the answer I would, but if you are looking for other ideas: If we have big zucchini when we are cooking meat on the barbecue grill, we will slice them, spread olive oil on them, sprinkle with herbs, and quickly grill them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> How do you cook a double eggwashed and breaded zucchini? A double is a
> couple of zucchini with something in between them, something like a slice of
> ham or mozzarella. I'm almost sure it would separate in the frying oil so,
> is there someone who did such a thing? Do I have to eggwash also the
> interior part of the two zucchini slices, as if the eggs would help keeping
> it from falling apart?
> I was asking on another ng but the guy disappeared and I have bags of
> zucchini incoming from Mom

I don't think they will stay together unless you run a couple three
toothpicks through the 'sandwich.' Good luck and do tell.

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I think zukes are just a little too firm to roll up without breaking,
> even sliced paper thin. I think it would work better to boil or nuke
> the slices just par before trying to roll them up with a filling. I
> really like this idea though.

Good point, Cheryl. If the super thin slices break when rolling, just a
quick heating should solve that problem.

My favorite deep fried veggie is sweet potatoes. I've never tried to make
them yet but I loved them at a restaurant that we went to every friday night
for years. I'm sure you have to cook them until just barely done, then
batter and deep fry. very tasty.

I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn. With
those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in ketchup
if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a dessert.
Either way is "good eats" to me.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2013 12:59 PM, Gary wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> I think zukes are just a little too firm to roll up without breaking,
>> even sliced paper thin. I think it would work better to boil or nuke
>> the slices just par before trying to roll them up with a filling. I
>> really like this idea though.

> Good point, Cheryl. If the super thin slices break when rolling, just a
> quick heating should solve that problem.
>
> My favorite deep fried veggie is sweet potatoes. I've never tried to make
> them yet but I loved them at a restaurant that we went to every friday night
> for years. I'm sure you have to cook them until just barely done, then
> batter and deep fry. very tasty.
>
> I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn. With
> those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in ketchup
> if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a dessert.
> Either way is "good eats" to me.
>
> G.

Sweet potatoes sliced into strips and done tempura style are insanely
delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:59:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn. With
> those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in ketchup
> if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a dessert.
> Either way is "good eats" to me.

I've never made corn fritters before because I thought fritters were
always deep fried, which doesn't seem to be the case because I've
spent some time this morning looking at a LOT of different recipes. I
found one that called for maple butter, which according to the recipe
was equal parts (real) maple syrup and butter. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 13:03:42 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> Sweet potatoes sliced into strips and done tempura style are insanely
> delicious.

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2013 2:03 PM, casa bona wrote:

> Sweet potatoes sliced into strips and done tempura style are insanely
> delicious.

Tempura fried vegetables are just delicious, sweet potatoes and
cauliflower are probably my favorites, but I like all of them. Tempura
shrimp is good, but we had won-ton wrapped shrimp that was almost as good.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 5, 2013 3:03:42 PM UTC-4, casa bona wrote:
> On 7/5/2013 12:59 PM, Gary wrote:
>
> > Cheryl wrote:

> >> I think zukes are just a little too firm to roll up without breaking,

> >> even sliced paper thin. I think it would work better to boil or nuke

> >> the slices just par before trying to roll them up with a filling. I

> >> really like this idea though.

> > Good point, Cheryl. If the super thin slices break when rolling, just a

> > quick heating should solve that problem.

> > My favorite deep fried veggie is sweet potatoes. I've never tried to make

> > them yet but I loved them at a restaurant that we went to every friday night

> > for years. I'm sure you have to cook them until just barely done, then

> > batter and deep fry. very tasty.

> > I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn. With

> > those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in ketchup

> > if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a dessert.

> > Either way is "good eats" to me.

> > G.

> Sweet potatoes sliced into strips and done tempura style are insanely
>
> delicious.

Look, turdboy, almost everyone here has identified you for what you are. Why don't you and your playthings just go away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

>On Friday, July 5, 2013 3:03:42 PM UTC-4, casa bona wrote:

>> > Good point, Cheryl. If the super thin slices break when rolling, just a

>> > quick heating should solve that problem.

>> > My favorite deep fried veggie is sweet potatoes. I've never tried to make

>> > them yet but I loved them at a restaurant that we went to every friday night

>> > for years. I'm sure you have to cook them until just barely done, then

>> > batter and deep fry. very tasty.

>> > I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn. With

>> > those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in ketchup

>> > if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a dessert.

>> > Either way is "good eats" to me.

>> > G.

>> Sweet potatoes sliced into strips and done tempura style are insanely
>>
>> delicious.

>Look, turdboy, almost everyone here has identified you for what you are. Why don't you and your playthings just go away.

Uh oh

--

GIT-R-DONE !

In article >,
says...

"you are the ones who are responsible for the way me and others are
assholes"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:14:23 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:59:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

>> I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn. With
>> those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in ketchup
>> if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a dessert.
>> Either way is "good eats" to me.

>I've never made corn fritters before because I thought fritters were
>always deep fried, which doesn't seem to be the case because I've
>spent some time this morning looking at a LOT of different recipes. I
>found one that called for maple butter, which according to the recipe
>was equal parts (real) maple syrup and butter. Yum!

they were a big deal in the dorm eatery. Corn fritters and maple
syrup. I've never been able to make them like the old gal that was
running that place. I try every once in a while.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2013 4:26 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/5/2013 2:03 PM, casa bona wrote:
>
>> Sweet potatoes sliced into strips and done tempura style are insanely
>> delicious.

> Tempura fried vegetables are just delicious, sweet potatoes and
> cauliflower are probably my favorites, but I like all of them. Tempura
> shrimp is good, but we had won-ton wrapped shrimp that was almost as good.
>
> Becca

It is, when properly done, the epitome of deep frying, light, clean,
crispy, but all the product flavor and none of the oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2013 4:44 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, July 5, 2013 3:03:42 PM UTC-4, casa bona wrote:

>>> Good point, Cheryl. If the super thin slices break when rolling, just a

>>> quick heating should solve that problem.

>>> My favorite deep fried veggie is sweet potatoes. I've never tried to make

>>> them yet but I loved them at a restaurant that we went to every friday night

>>> for years. I'm sure you have to cook them until just barely done, then

>>> batter and deep fry. very tasty.

>>> I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn. With

>>> those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in ketchup

>>> if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a dessert.

>>> Either way is "good eats" to me.

>>> G.

>> Sweet potatoes sliced into strips and done tempura style are insanely
>>
>> delicious.

> Look, turdboy, almost everyone here has identified you for what you are. Why don't you and your playthings just go away.

I'm sorry, did you think you mattered even a bit?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:59:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

>> I also love corn fritters especially when using fresh sweet white corn.
>> With
>> those, you can either salt them and eat as a side (and even dip in
>> ketchup
>> if you are so inclined), or sprinkle powdered sugar on them for a
>> dessert.
>> Either way is "good eats" to me.

> I've never made corn fritters before because I thought fritters were
> always deep fried, which doesn't seem to be the case because I've
> spent some time this morning looking at a LOT of different recipes. I
> found one that called for maple butter, which according to the recipe
> was equal parts (real) maple syrup and butter. Yum!

Himself likes them and I use tinned which is he likes. They are fairly
crisp. I do pretty much the same as the recipe from Nigel Slater but I've
never thought of add flour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-corn-fritters
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 09:52:26 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > I've never made corn fritters before because I thought fritters were
> > always deep fried, which doesn't seem to be the case because I've
> > spent some time this morning looking at a LOT of different recipes. I
> > found one that called for maple butter, which according to the recipe
> > was equal parts (real) maple syrup and butter. Yum!

> Himself likes them and I use tinned which is he likes. They are fairly
> crisp. I do pretty much the same as the recipe from Nigel Slater but I've
> never thought of add flour.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-corn-fritters
> --

Thanks! That's the first recipe I've seen that calls for a beaten egg
white and I looked at many yesterday. Do you do that too? I can see
that using the beaten egg white with no wheat flour would be good for
people with a gluten intolerance and those who are counting carbs. Do
you add any rice flour or corn flour (aka: cornstarch) or keep it egg
only?

If you do beat an extra white for the fritters, then how do you use up
the leftover yolk later? You know me, I'm not comfortable with
leftovers and I don't like to throw food away. Telling me to save it
is useless, because I wouldn't know what to do with it - so if that's
your method, concrete suggestions will be appreciated. TIA!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> If you do beat an extra white for the fritters, then how do you use up
> the leftover yolk later? You know me, I'm not comfortable with
> leftovers and I don't like to throw food away. Telling me to save it
> is useless, because I wouldn't know what to do with it - so if that's
> your method, concrete suggestions will be appreciated. TIA!

I can't believe a California girl is asking this.
I'm kind of joking you here but I have done this so it's also serious.
Throw the extra egg yolk into a blender along with OJ and some granola for a
healthy breakfast drink right before you go out and run 10 miles in the
morning. Or do that right after the run.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corn fritters (was eggwashed and breaded zucchini: doubles)

"sf" > wrote in message

> Thanks! That's the first recipe I've seen that calls for a beaten egg
> white and I looked at many yesterday. Do you do that too? I can see
> that using the beaten egg white with no wheat flour would be good for
> people with a gluten intolerance and those who are counting carbs. Do
> you add any rice flour or corn flour (aka: cornstarch) or keep it egg
> only?

Oy my memory(((

I had never seen a recipe before but looked after you mentioned recipes and
thought it sounded a bit like I used to make.

Sorry!!! I was wrong and got mixed up with something else!

Himself reminded me that my sweetcorn fritters evolved from when I used to
batter fish and deep fry them. I used the left over batter and mixed in the
sweetcorn! I know that I didn't deep fry them though. I shallow fried them
in oil and butter. For the fish batter I used SR flour with water and
salt.

> If you do beat an extra white for the fritters, then how do you use up
> the leftover yolk later?

See above.

You know me, I'm not comfortable with
> leftovers and I don't like to throw food away. Telling me to save it
> is useless, because I wouldn't know what to do with it - so if that's
> your method, concrete suggestions will be appreciated.

Just as I described Oh and now the subject has been raised (I asked him
if he could remember how I made them) he wants some ... and it's all your
fault!! <g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> If you do beat an extra white for the fritters, then how do you use up
>> the leftover yolk later? You know me, I'm not comfortable with
>> leftovers and I don't like to throw food away. Telling me to save it
>> is useless, because I wouldn't know what to do with it - so if that's
>> your method, concrete suggestions will be appreciated. TIA!

> I can't believe a California girl is asking this.
> I'm kind of joking you here but I have done this so it's also serious.
> Throw the extra egg yolk into a blender along with OJ and some granola for
> healthy breakfast drink right before you go out and run 10 miles in the
> morning. Or do that right after the run.

Hmmm I am happy not to be a California girl if that is the required morning
breakfast

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > sf wrote:
> >>
> >> If you do beat an extra white for the fritters, then how do you use up
> >> the leftover yolk later? You know me, I'm not comfortable with
> >> leftovers and I don't like to throw food away. Telling me to save it
> >> is useless, because I wouldn't know what to do with it - so if that's
> >> your method, concrete suggestions will be appreciated. TIA!

> > I can't believe a California girl is asking this.
> > I'm kind of joking you here but I have done this so it's also serious.
> > Throw the extra egg yolk into a blender along with OJ and some granola for
> > healthy breakfast drink right before you go out and run 10 miles in the
> > morning. Or do that right after the run.

> Hmmm I am happy not to be a California girl if that is the required morning
> breakfast

It's not for me. Yuck! I don't do those green shakes either.

Still waiting for an answer from you, Ophelia... I only saw a smart
ass answer from someone who doesn't know what to do either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > I can't believe a California girl is asking this.
>> > I'm kind of joking you here but I have done this so it's also serious.
>> > Throw the extra egg yolk into a blender along with OJ and some granola
>> > for
>> > healthy breakfast drink right before you go out and run 10 miles in the
>> > morning. Or do that right after the run.

>> Hmmm I am happy not to be a California girl if that is the required
>> morning
>> breakfast
>>

> It's not for me. Yuck! I don't do those green shakes either.
>
> Still waiting for an answer from you, Ophelia... I only saw a smart
> ass answer from someone who doesn't know what to do either.

I did respond but changed the header to 'Corn fritters (was eggwashed and
breaded zucchini: doubles)'

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>sf wrote:
>>
>> If you do beat an extra white for the fritters, then how do you use up
>> the leftover yolk later? You know me, I'm not comfortable with
>> leftovers and I don't like to throw food away. Telling me to save it
>> is useless, because I wouldn't know what to do with it - so if that's
>> your method, concrete suggestions will be appreciated. TIA!

>Throw the extra egg yolks into a blender along with OJ and granola.

For a healthy cellulite ass scrub!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> If you do beat an extra white for the fritters, then how do you use up
>>> the leftover yolk later? You know me, I'm not comfortable with
>>> leftovers and I don't like to throw food away. Telling me to save it
>>> is useless, because I wouldn't know what to do with it - so if that's
>>> your method, concrete suggestions will be appreciated. TIA!

>> I can't believe a California girl is asking this.
>> I'm kind of joking you here but I have done this so it's also serious.
>> Throw the extra egg yolk into a blender along with OJ and some granola for
>> healthy breakfast drink right before you go out and run 10 miles in the
>> morning. Or do that right after the run.

>Hmmm I am happy not to be a California girl if that is the required morning
>breakfast

That's not all the typical California girls swallow before breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:53:26 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > Thanks! That's the first recipe I've seen that calls for a beaten egg
> > white and I looked at many yesterday. Do you do that too? I can see
> > that using the beaten egg white with no wheat flour would be good for
> > people with a gluten intolerance and those who are counting carbs. Do
> > you add any rice flour or corn flour (aka: cornstarch) or keep it egg
> > only?

> Oy my memory(((
>
> I had never seen a recipe before but looked after you mentioned recipes and
> thought it sounded a bit like I used to make.
>
> Sorry!!! I was wrong and got mixed up with something else!

Hey, it happens. Not a problem.

> Himself reminded me that my sweetcorn fritters evolved from when I used to
> batter fish and deep fry them. I used the left over batter and mixed in the
> sweetcorn! I know that I didn't deep fry them though. I shallow fried them
> in oil and butter. For the fish batter I used SR flour with water and
> salt.

Okay, then what you do is similar to what I've been seeing on my end
then.
http://www.emilybites.com/2012/07/cr...-fritters.html
http://www.wizardrecipes.com/delicious-corn-fritters/

<snip>

> Just as I described Oh and now the subject has been raised (I asked him
> if he could remember how I made them) he wants some ... and it's all your
> fault!! <g>

You could try those corn pancakes (use buttermilk) I mentioned a few
days ago. They were delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2013 1:51 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> I can't believe a California girl is asking this.
>>> I'm kind of joking you here but I have done this so it's also serious.
>>> Throw the extra egg yolk into a blender along with OJ and some granola for
>>> healthy breakfast drink right before you go out and run 10 miles in the
>>> morning. Or do that right after the run.

>> Hmmm I am happy not to be a California girl if that is the required morning
>> breakfast

> That's not all the typical California girls swallow before breakfast.

Such wit you demonstrate, did it cease developing when puberty ensued?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 18:48:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I did respond but changed the header to 'Corn fritters (was eggwashed and
> breaded zucchini: doubles)'

Thanks, it was way down below so I saw it later.