Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The food programme bbc

On 3/6/2013 12:10 PM, George M. Middius wrote:

> One of the cashiers at my TJ's ends every transaction with "Have a blessed
> day." I hate that.

I never heard anyone do that until I moved to the South. At first, I
was a little uncomfortable with it, but after thinking it over, I've
come to appreciate it.

I may not have anything in common with the person saying it and I'm
pretty sure that our religious beliefs aren't the same... but if a
stranger wants to take the time to throw a blessing my way as an
expression of good will... or an expression of their faith, I'm OK with
that.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> > One of the cashiers at my TJ's ends every transaction with "Have a blessed
> > day." I hate that.

> I may not have anything in common with the person saying it and I'm
> pretty sure that our religious beliefs aren't the same... but if a
> stranger wants to take the time to throw a blessing my way as an
> expression of good will... or an expression of their faith, I'm OK with
> that.

That's not the message I get. To me, it's a reflexive expression of Baptists'
ingrained religious fascism. They are supremely intolerant of anybody whom
they can't corner and cram full of their proselytizing garbage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 12:55 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>
>>> One of the cashiers at my TJ's ends every transaction with "Have a blessed
>>> day." I hate that.

>> I may not have anything in common with the person saying it and I'm
>> pretty sure that our religious beliefs aren't the same... but if a
>> stranger wants to take the time to throw a blessing my way as an
>> expression of good will... or an expression of their faith, I'm OK with
>> that.

> That's not the message I get. To me, it's a reflexive expression of Baptists'
> ingrained religious fascism. They are supremely intolerant of anybody whom
> they can't corner and cram full of their proselytizing garbage.

Wow. You get all that from someone saying "Have a blessed day"?

Really?

No room for the possibility that someone might just be offering a
stranger some good wishes without any ulterior motives?

BTW - the person I know who uses some form of the word the word
"blessing" the most isn't even Christian... never mind a Baptist.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/03/2013 1:55 PM, George M. Middius wrote:

>> I may not have anything in common with the person saying it and I'm
>> pretty sure that our religious beliefs aren't the same... but if a
>> stranger wants to take the time to throw a blessing my way as an
>> expression of good will... or an expression of their faith, I'm OK with
>> that.

> That's not the message I get. To me, it's a reflexive expression of Baptists'
> ingrained religious fascism. They are supremely intolerant of anybody whom
> they can't corner and cram full of their proselytizing garbage.

It's not something that I am going to get terribly upset about but I
really don't appreciate them throwing their religion my way.

A few years ago I had to drive my wife to a funeral for her late
mother's best friend. The woman had been a long time atheist and had
been estranged from her only son for many years and it turned out to be
a matter of religion. He and his wife had become "born again". Later on
things thawed and when she had to move into an old folks home it was a
"Christian" home.

Apparently at the funeral the daughter in law spike about Marion had not
been a believer for most of her life but they were thrilled that in her
final days she had given herself to Jesus. She and the son were so
thrilled to walk into her room one day and find her reading a Bible.
This is a woman who had attended university in the 1920s. She worked in
and eventually owned her own book store. She had a vast collection of
books, but they were all disposed of when they moved her into the home.
The Bible was the only book in her room. Being a reader, she read thee
only thing available.

When I went to pick up my wife I was introduced to the son and DiL, Eric
and Edna. Edna asked about my parents. My father had been dead for a
few years and my mother had multiple medical issues. She asked my
mother's name and said she would pray for her. What do you say but
"thanks" ?

Holy crap. As I was being introduced to various people there Enid kept
coming up and saying" I'm going to pray for Helen". After the 5th of 6th
time I realized it wasn't about Helen at all. Edna was just trying to
show me what a bloody good christian she is. For the next few years she
would write to my wife a couple times a year with all sorts of preachy
crap until my wife, who is a church goer herself, finally wrote back and
told to her to lay off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/03/2013 8:12 PM, George Leppla wrote:

>>> I may not have anything in common with the person saying it and I'm
>>> pretty sure that our religious beliefs aren't the same... but if a
>>> stranger wants to take the time to throw a blessing my way as an
>>> expression of good will... or an expression of their faith, I'm OK with
>>> that.

>> That's not the message I get. To me, it's a reflexive expression of
>> Baptists'
>> ingrained religious fascism. They are supremely intolerant of anybody
>> whom
>> they can't corner and cram full of their proselytizing garbage.
>>

> Wow. You get all that from someone saying "Have a blessed day"?
>
> Really?
>
> No room for the possibility that someone might just be offering a
> stranger some good wishes without any ulterior motives?
>
> BTW - the person I know who uses some form of the word the word
> "blessing" the most isn't even Christian... never mind a Baptist.
>
> George L

We were in Singapore a few years ago with the kids. We were wandering
down to Little India to get a genuine Indian breakfast at one of the
working men's cafes. Across the road was the big temple and outside
sat an old lady begging. Our son, not the most talented on his feet,
managed to cross the road without getting hit (he was about 15 then)
and gave her some money and received his "blessing" plus that red dot
the Hindus put on their foreheads.

We asked him why he did it. He said he wanted the blessing because
he didn't know which one of them was right and he wanted to cover all
bases for when he died.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/03/2013 3:02 PM, injipoint wrote:

> We asked him why he did it. He said he wanted the blessing because
> he didn't know which one of them was right and he wanted to cover all
> bases for when he died.

I can appreciate the sentiment but should point out that most religious
people would disagree. Fundamentalist have little tolerance for
anything but their way and even having that sign on their forehead is a
form of worshipping another god..... and you're going to go to hell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 2:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I beg to differ. I have come to realize that they don't really care if
> you have a blessed day, or good day or even if you drop dead as soon as
> you walk out the door. They just want you to know they are great christians.

Whatever. If good wishes come my way in the form of a blessing or
someone just smiling at me, I'll take it in good spirit no matter what
the person's motivation or level of hypocrisy.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> > That's not the message I get. To me, it's a reflexive expression of Baptists'
> > ingrained religious fascism. They are supremely intolerant of anybody whom
> > they can't corner and cram full of their proselytizing garbage.

> Wow. You get all that from someone saying "Have a blessed day"?
> Really?
> No room for the possibility that someone might just be offering a
> stranger some good wishes without any ulterior motives?

Not from her. She wears this grim expression and she slams the register shut.
Plus she has a huge ring with a cross on it and a pendant with "J E S U S S A
V E S" haning round her neck. The only missing accouterment is a little
mini-bible.

> BTW - the person I know who uses some form of the word the word
> "blessing" the most isn't even Christian... never mind a Baptist.

Oh, so she just likes the way it sounds? That's rare and exotic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> > I beg to differ. I have come to realize that they don't really care if
> > you have a blessed day, or good day or even if you drop dead as soon as
> > you walk out the door. They just want you to know they are great christians.

> Whatever. If good wishes come my way in the form of a blessing or
> someone just smiling at me, I'll take it in good spirit no matter what
> the person's motivation or level of hypocrisy.

He just splained you it ain't no "good wishes". Read it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/03/2013 9:07 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 06/03/2013 3:02 PM, injipoint wrote:
>

>> We asked him why he did it. He said he wanted the blessing because
>> he didn't know which one of them was right and he wanted to cover all
>> bases for when he died.

> I can appreciate the sentiment but should point out that most religious
> people would disagree. Fundamentalist have little tolerance for
> anything but their way and even having that sign on their forehead is a
> form of worshipping another god..... and you're going to go to hell.

I very much doubt that it will be me going to hell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 2:12 PM, George Leppla wrote:

>>> I may not have anything in common with the person saying it and I'm
>>> pretty sure that our religious beliefs aren't the same... but if a
>>> stranger wants to take the time to throw a blessing my way as an
>>> expression of good will... or an expression of their faith, I'm OK with
>>> that.

>> That's not the message I get. To me, it's a reflexive expression of
>> Baptists'
>> ingrained religious fascism. They are supremely intolerant of anybody
>> whom
>> they can't corner and cram full of their proselytizing garbage.
>>

> Wow. You get all that from someone saying "Have a blessed day"?
>
> Really?
>
> No room for the possibility that someone might just be offering a
> stranger some good wishes without any ulterior motives?
>
> BTW - the person I know who uses some form of the word the word
> "blessing" the most isn't even Christian... never mind a Baptist.
>
> George L

LOL I couldn't tell you where there's a Baptist church in my area.
Mostly Catholic, Episcopal or Methodist. And yes, people tell me to
have a "blessed day". Wiccans also use the expression, or "blessed be".
I don't conjur up an image of any particular religion when I hear it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 2:42 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>
>>> I beg to differ. I have come to realize that they don't really care if
>>> you have a blessed day, or good day or even if you drop dead as soon as
>>> you walk out the door. They just want you to know they are great christians.

>> Whatever. If good wishes come my way in the form of a blessing or
>> someone just smiling at me, I'll take it in good spirit no matter what
>> the person's motivation or level of hypocrisy.

> He just splained you it ain't no "good wishes". Read it again.

I can't tell you the motivation of why people say what they say, but I
can tell you one thing for sure....

When someone wishes me a blessed day I walk away with a smile on my
face.... if other people choose to scowl, that is up to them.

YMMV

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/03/2013 6:17 PM, graham wrote:
f them.

>> I would really rather have someone just say good bye or good day to me
>> than to try to demonstrate their religious zeal in my direction.
>>

> You must ALWAYS be careful when doing business with such a person! They will
> try and screw you.
> My grandfather warned me of this some 60 years ago and he has been proven
> right on several occasions since then but forewarned was forearmed!
> Graham

I worked in the enforcement business for a long time. One of the things
I learned over the years was that whenever anyone said "I swear to God:
or " Honest to God" the next thing thing that would come out of their
mouth would be a lie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Leppla > wrote:

> When someone wishes me a blessed day I walk away with a smile on my
> face.... if other people choose to scowl, that is up to them.

Personal belief has nothing to do with someone offering their goodwill.
I also take the blessing and am grateful whenever it is offered in any
form.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2013 10:12 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> George Leppla > wrote:
>
>> When someone wishes me a blessed day I walk away with a smile on my
>> face.... if other people choose to scowl, that is up to them.

> Personal belief has nothing to do with someone offering their goodwill.
> I also take the blessing and am grateful whenever it is offered in any
> form.
>
> leo

There you go, Leo! It is a shame that we as a society have become so
cynical that we can't even accept good wishes from a stranger (no matter
what their motivation).

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 6:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> So many people who purport to be such "good Christians" are hypocrites.
> Many years ago I had a friend who was a school teacher. She got a job
> in a private Baptist academy. (She was a lapsed Catholic.) They made
> her sign a statement saying she would not drink or dance. Dance! She
> was 24 and single, of course she went to clubs. And yes, she ran into a
> lot of these alleged "good" Baptists out drinking and dancing on Friday
> or Saturday nights.
>
> Jill

Down here we call them "50 mile Baptists". They don't drink, dance or
gamble within 50 miles of home, but once they get out of home range, the
party begins.

Joke:

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of God.
Lutherans don't recognize the Pope as the head of the Christian Church.
Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 8:12 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 3/7/2013 6:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> So many people who purport to be such "good Christians" are hypocrites.
>> Many years ago I had a friend who was a school teacher. She got a job
>> in a private Baptist academy. (She was a lapsed Catholic.) They made
>> her sign a statement saying she would not drink or dance. Dance! She
>> was 24 and single, of course she went to clubs. And yes, she ran into a
>> lot of these alleged "good" Baptists out drinking and dancing on Friday
>> or Saturday nights.
>>
>> Jill

> Down here we call them "50 mile Baptists". They don't drink, dance or
> gamble within 50 miles of home, but once they get out of home range, the
> party begins.
>
> Joke:
>
> Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of God.
> Lutherans don't recognize the Pope as the head of the Christian Church.
> Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.
>
> George L

Too funny! That last was definitely the case.

Around that same time one of my brothers dated a woman who was a
Jehovah's Witness. She told him over and over again, they don't "do"
birthday or Christmas presents. He took her at her word. Whew, I don't
have to buy her a gift! Then she got ****ed off because he didn't.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/03/2013 9:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Around that same time one of my brothers dated a woman who was a
> Jehovah's Witness. She told him over and over again, they don't "do"
> birthday or Christmas presents. He took her at her word. Whew, I don't
> have to buy her a gift! Then she got ****ed off because he didn't.

I had a JH for a boss for a while and she always made a big deal of not
doing birthdays and Christmas. I always used to book vacation time
between Christmas and New Years and always had more than enough vacation
credit saved up for it. One year I put in vacation requests, booking
time for the summer and a separate one for Christmas. I waited and
waited for the approval for the Christmas vacation. We had a staff
meeting in early December and she announced that she had a number of
requests for vacation over Christmas and that her records showed that
some people had had Christmas vacations for a number of years and we
should think about sharing it around, so if anyone else wanted the time
off they should get their requests in soon so she could make her
decision on who would get the time off.

I was furious. I had a lot of seniority and I had had my request in 6
months earlier. It might have been different if there had been a number
of others already asking for it, but there wasn't. There she was,
inviting people to apply for vacation for that same time, looking to
create a problem. I was going to take the time anyway. I would have
filed a grievance and given my seniority and the timing of the requests,
I would have won it.

As it turned out, I got the time off. The woman who is a JH and who does
not celebrate Christmas and who tried to cause a conflict over vacation
times..... she took the week off too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 9:48 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 07/03/2013 9:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Around that same time one of my brothers dated a woman who was a
>> Jehovah's Witness. She told him over and over again, they don't "do"
>> birthday or Christmas presents. He took her at her word. Whew, I don't
>> have to buy her a gift! Then she got ****ed off because he didn't.
>>

> I had a JH for a boss for a while and she always made a big deal of not
> doing birthdays and Christmas. I always used to book vacation time
> between Christmas and New Years and always had more than enough vacation
> credit saved up for it. One year I put in vacation requests, booking
> time for the summer and a separate one for Christmas. I waited and
> waited for the approval for the Christmas vacation.

(snip understandable rant)

> As it turned out, I got the time off. The woman who is a JH and who does
> not celebrate Christmas and who tried to cause a conflict over vacation
> times..... she took the week off too.

Managers can be such assholes. No JH need be involved. I'd been
working for this company for years and had seniority. I'd save up my
vacation time and take an extended holiday, Christmas through New Years.
I'd been doing it for years. We were asked to plan out our vacation
for the year in January, by March if possible. Okay.

One year my then manager called me aside and asked me if I'd switch my
vacation days. Would you take off over July 4th (American Independence
Day) instead of Christmas?

The reason she gave me was, in reviewing the requests, "This guy has
kids, you don't. He might prefr Christmas." (Man, did that tick my
father off when I told him about it!) She made it sound like Kevin had
complained about the vacation schedule.

He and I were friends. I said hey, if you want your vacation over
Christmas off I have no problem switching. He said no! He'd scheduled
his vacation around a family camping trip in July. We didn't know why
she was trying to micro-manage our time off.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:48:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I had a JH for a boss for a while

Here's how little I know... why use JH for Jehovah's Witness? I'd use
JW.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:45:37 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> > I once heard Dr Laura talk to a woman who was worried that her brother was
> > going to marry a Catholic.
> > DrL: "Why?"
> > Worried woman: "Well, you see, we're Christians!"

> Given the carry on here recently I have begun to wonder.

I've never understood it when non-denominational (read church of
whatever pastor it is who is getting rich off his parishioners)
churches call themselves Christian to the exclusion of all others.
What part of Christian don't they understand?

BTW: I think my own personal beliefs are more in line with Mormonism
than Christianity beginning with my strongest, which is that I believe
that all people are born perfect and that we will be punished for our
own sins, not Adams.
<http://www.christianpost.com/news/what-do-mormons-believe-ex-mormon-speaks-out-part-two-58494/>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/03/2013 10:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> As it turned out, I got the time off. The woman who is a JH and who does
>> not celebrate Christmas and who tried to cause a conflict over vacation
>> times..... she took the week off too.
>>

> Managers can be such assholes. No JH need be involved. I'd been
> working for this company for years and had seniority. I'd save up my
> vacation time and take an extended holiday, Christmas through New Years.
> I'd been doing it for years. We were asked to plan out our vacation
> for the year in January, by March if possible. Okay.
>
> One year my then manager called me aside and asked me if I'd switch my
> vacation days. Would you take off over July 4th (American Independence
> Day) instead of Christmas?
>
> The reason she gave me was, in reviewing the requests, "This guy has
> kids, you don't. He might prefr Christmas." (Man, did that tick my
> father off when I told him about it!) She made it sound like Kevin had
> complained about the vacation schedule.
>
> He and I were friends. I said hey, if you want your vacation over
> Christmas off I have no problem switching. He said no! He'd scheduled
> his vacation around a family camping trip in July. We didn't know why
> she was trying to micro-manage our time off.

That's part of the problem with the corporate world. There are a lot of
middle management jobs that don't really need to be there. They don't do
much for productivity and in many cases they actually interfere with it.
Many of the people in those positions are filled by people who really
don't know that much about the job. They just want to be in charge.

I was lucky in my career with the government. Most of my bosses were
pretty good. I worked hard for them and most of them appreciated it and
recommended me for promotion. A couple were jerks. When I first
transferred to enforcement the local supervisor was a jerk. Pick pick
pick pick pick all the time. He was always looking for the negative. It
was a good thing for me that I had access to the district productivity
stats because the year he tried to give me a negative appraisal I stood
up to him and pointed out that I was the top producer in the district by
far. He ended up having to re-write my appraisal before I would sign it.
What a weasel to give negative that he could not defend.

This guy was negative about all suggestions.Instead of giving them
consideration he would automatically think only of the negatives. It
was easy to deal with. Whenever we wanted to do something one way we
always suggested the opposite. He was such a fool that it easy to trick
him.

I did screw up once. I knew that I was going to be in trouble. I went
in early the next day to face the music. I went up to his office, told
him I had to explain what had happened, told him that I had made a bad
decision, told him I screwed up. Negative idiot that he was he
disagreed and told me not to worry about it. At the end of the year I
got a good appraisal but he mentioned that incident and said that he
should have raked me over the coals for that. Of course my response was
to agree and say he was right. I did screw up. Once again the idiot
went negative. He could not agree with me that I had screwed up ;-)

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/03/2013 11:16 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:48:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I had a JH for a boss for a while

> Here's how little I know... why use JH for Jehovah's Witness? I'd use
> JW.

Because I make a lot of typos ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/03/2013 11:28 AM, sf wrote:
part of Christian don't they understand?

> BTW: I think my own personal beliefs are more in line with Mormonism
> than Christianity beginning with my strongest, which is that I believe
> that all people are born perfect and that we will be punished for our
> own sins, not Adams.
> <http://www.christianpost.com/news/what-do-mormons-believe-ex-mormon-speaks-out-part-two-58494/>

I came across an interesting argument about the concept of original sin
and Jesus dying for our sins when it was Adam's sin, and even the
Catholic church now admits that Adam never really existed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 07/03/2013 11:28 AM, sf wrote:
>

> I came across an interesting argument about the concept of original sin
> and Jesus dying for our sins when it was Adam's sin, and even the Catholic
> church now admits that Adam never really existed.

A comedian on the TV the other night said:
"If we are all God's children, why is Jesus so important?"

Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 7:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> So many people who purport to be such "good Christians" are hypocrites.
> Many years ago I had a friend who was a school teacher. She got a job
> in a private Baptist academy. (She was a lapsed Catholic.) They made
> her sign a statement saying she would not drink or dance. Dance! She
> was 24 and single, of course she went to clubs. And yes, she ran into a
> lot of these alleged "good" Baptists out drinking and dancing on Friday
> or Saturday nights.

Made me laugh, I thought you were going to say something about
the "good (whatever religion)" who commit murder, adultery,
etc. Not that there are so many that do, proportionally, but you
see it all the time if you watch true crime.

Dancing, what the heck, that's a good rule to break.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/03/2013 12:47 PM, Gary wrote:

> I'm tolerant of the various religions as long as they keep it in the church.
> Sadly many don't do that these days....they want to tell us all how to live.

I am getting fed up with their whining about freedom of religion and an
alleged assault on Christianity and school and other public prayers.
They are free to pray and I am free not too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> On 07/03/2013 12:47 PM, Gary wrote:
>

>> I'm tolerant of the various religions as long as they keep it in the
>> church.
>> Sadly many don't do that these days....they want to tell us all how to
>> live.
>>

> I am getting fed up with their whining about freedom of religion and an
> alleged assault on Christianity and school and other public prayers.
> They are free to pray and I am free not too.

Freedom of religion should be limited to freedom to believe whatever you
like. However, there must be limits to religious practice and certainly tax
breaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> It is a shame that we as a society have become so
> cynical that we can't even accept good wishes from a stranger (no matter
> what their motivation).

A good comment is a good comment. I don't look behind the lines.
I often stop at a convenience store on the way home.
Most times I get, "Thank you and have a nice day."
I usually respond, "Thanks. It'll a nice day now - I'm on the way home."

heheh
G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> George Leppla wrote:
>>
>> It is a shame that we as a society have become so
>> cynical that we can't even accept good wishes from a stranger (no matter
>> what their motivation).

> A good comment is a good comment. I don't look behind the lines.
> I often stop at a convenience store on the way home.
> Most times I get, "Thank you and have a nice day."
> I usually respond, "Thanks. It'll a nice day now - I'm on the way home."

The latest seems to be: "Have an excellent day!"
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 1:02 PM, Gary wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>>
>> It is a shame that we as a society have become so
>> cynical that we can't even accept good wishes from a stranger (no matter
>> what their motivation).

> A good comment is a good comment. I don't look behind the lines.
> I often stop at a convenience store on the way home.
> Most times I get, "Thank you and have a nice day."
> I usually respond, "Thanks. It'll a nice day now - I'm on the way home."

I find it normal to respond to good wishes and if a shop assistant says,
"Have a nice day" I'll say "And you" or "You too". They sometimes seem a
little surprised to receive anything other than a grunt.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> As it turned out, I got the time off. The woman who is a JH and who does
> not celebrate Christmas and who tried to cause a conflict over vacation
> times..... she took the week off too.

LOL! I dated a JW once. We got along so well but when it turned serious
(contemplating marriage), that's went it all went to hell (which JW's don't
believe in).

I had to break up with her and it was sad that religious differences caused
that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Yep. I was raised Methodist and my parents had to sign such a card each
> week. They were also not to smoke. My dad smoked. Both drank, although
> rarely. They danced. And they sent me to dance lessons. Once I could read
> what the cards said, I was like... Whaaaaaaa?
>
> Then we moved to WA and the church here did not require the signing of such
> cards. Dancing was allowed in this church. But drinking and smoking were
> not. And guess who once offered me a drink? Yep. The minister.

When I was a kid, my parents took me to "Assembly of God" churchs. Bunch of
damn weirdos, IMO. I never fell for all that nonsense. Like a random old
lady interrupting the sermon each week to talk in tongue. Then some other
random old lady standing up to interpret it. Yeah right, Homey don't play
that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 11:47 AM, Gary wrote:

> I'm tolerant of the various religions as long as they keep it in the church.
> Sadly many don't do that these days....they want to tell us all how to live.
>
> G.

Just when they find Jesus, they want to give him to you.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

>I had to break up with her and it was sad that religious differences caused
>that.

What sad religious differences were those... she stuffed her bra?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 6:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> So many people who purport to be such "good Christians" are hypocrites.
> Many years ago I had a friend who was a school teacher. She got a job
> in a private Baptist academy. (She was a lapsed Catholic.) They made
> her sign a statement saying she would not drink or dance. Dance! She
> was 24 and single, of course she went to clubs. And yes, she ran into a
> lot of these alleged "good" Baptists out drinking and dancing on Friday
> or Saturday nights.
>
> Jill

George calls my mother a 50-mile Baptist, people like her will follow
the rules at home, but go wild when they travel. My mother was wild to
begin with.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:30:35 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 07/03/2013 11:16 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:48:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I had a JH for a boss for a while

> > Here's how little I know... why use JH for Jehovah's Witness? I'd use
> > JW.
> >

> Because I make a lot of typos ;-)

Oh, okay... I didn't think of that because the two letters are so far
apart. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/07/2013 10:06 AM, graham wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> George Leppla wrote:
>>>
>>> It is a shame that we as a society have become so
>>> cynical that we can't even accept good wishes from a stranger (no matter
>>> what their motivation).

>> A good comment is a good comment. I don't look behind the lines.
>> I often stop at a convenience store on the way home.
>> Most times I get, "Thank you and have a nice day."
>> I usually respond, "Thanks. It'll a nice day now - I'm on the way home."
>>

> The latest seems to be: "Have an excellent day!"
> Graham

Once, some checkout clerk said to me "Have an awesome day!" I don't see
much sincerity in that. Rather, it sounds like a joke. I usually answer
such mouthings with "Thanks, I have other plans."

--
And get off my lawn!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/03/2013 1:02 PM, graham wrote:

>> I am getting fed up with their whining about freedom of religion and an
>> alleged assault on Christianity and school and other public prayers.
>> They are free to pray and I am free not too.

> Freedom of religion should be limited to freedom to believe whatever you
> like. However, there must be limits to religious practice and certainly tax
> breaks.

I have mixed feelings on the tax issue. IMO, they are public
organizations and often working for community good. However, there does
seem to be some abuses. There are a number of churches that I think are
a lot more of a business than a religion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 07/03/2013 1:02 PM, graham wrote:
>

>>> I am getting fed up with their whining about freedom of religion and an
>>> alleged assault on Christianity and school and other public prayers.
>>> They are free to pray and I am free not too.

>> Freedom of religion should be limited to freedom to believe whatever you
>> like. However, there must be limits to religious practice and certainly
>> tax
>> breaks.
>>

> I have mixed feelings on the tax issue. IMO, they are public
> organizations and often working for community good. However, there does
> seem to be some abuses. There are a number of churches that I think are a
> lot more of a business than a religion.

I don't see why I should have to support their tax-free buildings. Note that
a christian school just got slammed by the taxman for operating a fiddle
over their fees.