Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default The food programme bbc

On 3/7/2013 9:48 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 07/03/2013 9:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Around that same time one of my brothers dated a woman who was a
>> Jehovah's Witness. She told him over and over again, they don't "do"
>> birthday or Christmas presents. He took her at her word. Whew, I don't
>> have to buy her a gift! Then she got ****ed off because he didn't.
>>

> I had a JH for a boss for a while and she always made a big deal of not
> doing birthdays and Christmas. I always used to book vacation time
> between Christmas and New Years and always had more than enough vacation
> credit saved up for it. One year I put in vacation requests, booking
> time for the summer and a separate one for Christmas. I waited and
> waited for the approval for the Christmas vacation.

(snip understandable rant)

> As it turned out, I got the time off. The woman who is a JH and who does
> not celebrate Christmas and who tried to cause a conflict over vacation
> times..... she took the week off too.

Managers can be such assholes. No JH need be involved. I'd been
working for this company for years and had seniority. I'd save up my
vacation time and take an extended holiday, Christmas through New Years.
I'd been doing it for years. We were asked to plan out our vacation
for the year in January, by March if possible. Okay.

One year my then manager called me aside and asked me if I'd switch my
vacation days. Would you take off over July 4th (American Independence
Day) instead of Christmas?

The reason she gave me was, in reviewing the requests, "This guy has
kids, you don't. He might prefr Christmas." (Man, did that tick my
father off when I told him about it!) She made it sound like Kevin had
complained about the vacation schedule.

He and I were friends. I said hey, if you want your vacation over
Christmas off I have no problem switching. He said no! He'd scheduled
his vacation around a family camping trip in July. We didn't know why
she was trying to micro-manage our time off.

Jill