Posted to rec.food.cooking
injipoint[_2_] injipoint[_2_] is offline

Default The food programme bbc

On 6/03/2013 8:12 PM, George Leppla wrote:

>>> I may not have anything in common with the person saying it and I'm
>>> pretty sure that our religious beliefs aren't the same... but if a
>>> stranger wants to take the time to throw a blessing my way as an
>>> expression of good will... or an expression of their faith, I'm OK with
>>> that.

>> That's not the message I get. To me, it's a reflexive expression of
>> Baptists'
>> ingrained religious fascism. They are supremely intolerant of anybody
>> whom
>> they can't corner and cram full of their proselytizing garbage.
>>

> Wow. You get all that from someone saying "Have a blessed day"?
>
> Really?
>
> No room for the possibility that someone might just be offering a
> stranger some good wishes without any ulterior motives?
>
> BTW - the person I know who uses some form of the word the word
> "blessing" the most isn't even Christian... never mind a Baptist.
>
> George L

We were in Singapore a few years ago with the kids. We were wandering
down to Little India to get a genuine Indian breakfast at one of the
working men's cafes. Across the road was the big temple and outside
sat an old lady begging. Our son, not the most talented on his feet,
managed to cross the road without getting hit (he was about 15 then)
and gave her some money and received his "blessing" plus that red dot
the Hindus put on their foreheads.

We asked him why he did it. He said he wanted the blessing because
he didn't know which one of them was right and he wanted to cover all
bases for when he died.