Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default RIP Dick Clark

82 years old and rocked the whole time!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown > wrote in news:fa90298a-ea23-4ea2-
:

> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

Sad :-(

He had a great voice.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 2:28*am, "I'm back on the laptop" >
wrote:
Chemo the Clown > wrote in news:fa90298a-
ea23-4ea2-

> > 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> Sad :-(

> He had a great voice.

I still think it's funny how you can tell when these famous types
are ready to go by how they tend to stay out of the public eye as
they're rotting away. I noticed a few years back that Dick's
appearances were becoming less frequent. That made me wonder, "Is it
time Dick?" And sure enough it was. He had had enough. His pot was
overflowing. Life bubbled out of his cauldron. He looked younger
than he was - for a while - but in the end he looked as old as he was
supposed to look, if not older. I loved Dick. But for God's sake
man, he's gone - he's finished - and let's just get over it- may God
rest his soul.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 6:02*am, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:28*am, "I'm back on the laptop" >
> wrote:
> Chemo the Clown > wrote in news:fa90298a-
> ea23-4ea2-
>
> > > 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> > Sad :-(
> > He had a great voice.

> * * *I still think it's funny how you can tell when these famous types
> are ready to go by how they tend to stay out of the public eye as
> they're rotting away. *I noticed a few years back that Dick's
> appearances were becoming less frequent. *That made me wonder, "Is it
> time Dick?" *And sure enough it was. *He had had enough. *His pot was
> overflowing. *Life bubbled out of his cauldron. *He looked younger
> than he was - for a while - but in the end he looked as old as he was
> supposed to look, if not older. *I loved Dick. *But for God's sake
> man, he's gone - he's finished - and let's just get over it- may God
> rest his soul.

The way people talk about death is weird. When people write RIP, it
makes me think, "While it may appear that the person is resting
peacefully, upon closer examination you'll find that the person is
actually dead." Also the "the late so-and-so." If they were merely
late, you'd expect them to eventually show up, but they're not late,
they're dead, and they won't be arriving at all. Not late, not ever.

> TJ

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> The way people talk about death is weird. When people write RIP, it
> makes me think, "While it may appear that the person is resting
> peacefully, upon closer examination you'll find that the person is
> actually dead." Also the "the late so-and-so." If they were merely
> late, you'd expect them to eventually show up, but they're not late,
> they're dead, and they won't be arriving at all. Not late, not ever.

Are you campaigning against all euphemisms, or just the ones about
death?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 7:57*am, Bull > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Bryan > wrote:
> > If they were merely
> > late, you'd expect them to eventually show up, but they're not late,
> > they're dead, and they won't be arriving at all.

> Too funny -- well until it's your number called.

Juxtapose thinking about death with watching this video. I saw it on
FB earlier. Very strange: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt37Fj1U5iM

> BULL

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:12:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 7:57*am, Bull > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> *Bryan > wrote:
>> > If they were merely
>> > late, you'd expect them to eventually show up, but they're not late,
>> > they're dead, and they won't be arriving at all.

>> Too funny -- well until it's your number called.

>Juxtapose thinking about death with watching this video. I saw it on
>FB earlier. Very strange: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt37Fj1U5iM
>>
>> BULL

>--Bryan

Well THAT was kinda pointless! I do remember that Child Of The Moon
was the B-side of the Jumping Jack Flash 45 TomC had in his basement.
We never listened to it though. Kind of a boring attempt at being
"deep" I think.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/04/2012 7:02 AM, Tommy Joe wrote:

> I still think it's funny how you can tell when these famous types
> are ready to go by how they tend to stay out of the public eye as
> they're rotting away. I noticed a few years back that Dick's
> appearances were becoming less frequent.

Why would he want to keep working in such a competitive and shallow
business? He made lot of money over the years and he had a chance to
relax and enjoy himself. Besides, he was involved in a business aimed at
teens, and he was, quite frankly, waaaay too old to be appealing to them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/04/2012 8:48 AM, George M. Middius wrote:

> Are you campaigning against all euphemisms, or just the ones about
> death?

No conversation about euphemisms can be complete without a reference to
the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:38:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 19/04/2012 8:48 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>
>> Are you campaigning against all euphemisms, or just the ones about
>> death?
>>

>No conversation about euphemisms can be complete without a reference to
>the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

This is an EX-parrot!! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back on the laptop wrote:
> Chemo the Clown > wrote in
> :
>
>> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!
>>

> Sad :-(
>
> He had a great voice.

He seemed like a very generous guy.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 5:12*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
on the old black and white 12 incher. We got to know the kids names,
who dated whom etc. He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
to their hits.

We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
difference between it and owning many adapters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Apr 18, 5:12*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

>Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
>on the old black and white 12 incher. We got to know the kids names,
>who dated whom etc. He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
>to their hits.
>
>We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.
>
> I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
>difference between it and owning many adapters.

One of those spindles for 45's that functoned with the record changing
mechanism on the skinny little 33 spindle?

I remember those now that you mention them!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 2:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
> >On Apr 18, 5:12*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> >> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> >Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
> >on the old black and white 12 incher. *We got to know the kids names,
> >who dated whom etc. *He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
> >to their hits.

> >We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

> > I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
> >difference between it and owning many adapters.

> One of those spindles for 45's that functoned with the record changing
> mechanism on the skinny little 33 spindle?
>
> I remember those now that you mention them!
>
> John Kuthe...

Remember the little plastic inserts you could put in the 45 hole so it
would work on the spindle?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:40:16 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
>> >on the old black and white 12 incher. *We got to know the kids names,
>> >who dated whom etc. *He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
>> >to their hits.

>> >We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

>> > I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
>> >difference between it and owning many adapters.

>> One of those spindles for 45's that functoned with the record changing
>> mechanism on the skinny little 33 spindle?
>>
>> I remember those now that you mention them!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Remember the little plastic inserts you could put in the 45 hole so it
>would work on the spindle?

Of course. They were in direct conflict with the 45 changer spindle we
were discussing!

So nice back in the old days when all you had to do to deal with
incompatability was to get a little hunk of plastic. Now you have to
get a program to convery the incompatable format to a compatable one!

That's the nice thing about standards. We have so many to choose from!
;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 6:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:40:16 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>

> > wrote:
> >On Apr 19, 2:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> >> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

> >> One of those spindles for 45's that functoned with the record changing
> >> mechanism on the skinny little 33 spindle?

> >> I remember those now that you mention them!

> >> John Kuthe...

> >Remember the little plastic inserts you could put in the 45 hole so it
> >would work on the spindle?

> Of course. They were in direct conflict with the 45 changer spindle we
> were discussing!
>
> So nice back in the old days when all you had to do to deal with
> incompatability was to get a little hunk of plastic. Now you have to
> get a program to convery the incompatable format to a compatable one!
>
> That's the nice thing about standards. We have so many to choose from!
> ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Life sucks when you're poor, Johny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:42:16 -0700 (PDT), BillyZoom

>Life sucks when you're poor, Johny.

It's a beautiful day here BillySimple! I rode two laps around the park
today, about 14 miles total! (It's a big park!)

Hope you are having fun.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 4:23*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:42:16 -0700 (PDT), > wrote:

> >Life sucks when you're poor, Johny.

> It's a beautiful day here BillySimple! I rode two laps around the park
> today, about 14 miles total! (It's a big park!)
>
> Hope you are having fun.
>
> John Kuthe...

He's just sitting on the bed playing with his wee wee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 5:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
> >On Apr 18, 5:12*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> >> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> >Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
> >on the old black and white 12 incher. *We got to know the kids names,
> >who dated whom etc. *He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
> >to their hits.

> >We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

> > I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
> >difference between it and owning many adapters.

> One of those spindles for 45's that functoned with the record changing
> mechanism on the skinny little 33 spindle?
>
> I remember those now that you mention them!
>
> John Kuthe...

Yes, the spindle could hold a stack of 45s, but you had to have a
player which would 'drop' the records. The adapters were for those
who had to slap em on the turntable one at a time.

Remember that little filebox looking thing which would carry about 30
fortyfives?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 5:40*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

> > > wrote:

> > >Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
> > >on the old black and white 12 incher. *We got to know the kids names,
> > >who dated whom etc. *He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
> > >to their hits.

> > >We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

> > > I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
> > >difference between it and owning many adapters.

> > One of those spindles for 45's that functoned with the record changing
> > mechanism on the skinny little 33 spindle?

> > I remember those now that you mention them!

> > John Kuthe...

> Remember the little plastic inserts you could put in the 45 hole so it
> would work on the spindle?

That's what I meant by adapters. They were easily broken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 7:23*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:42:16 -0700 (PDT), > wrote:

> >Life sucks when you're poor, Johny.

> It's a beautiful day here BillySimple! I rode two laps around the park
> today, about 14 miles total! (It's a big park!)
>
> Hope you are having fun.
>
> John Kuthe...

Of course you did, homo. Lots of spare time, eh, loser? And not so
lots of money. I was talking to a nursing recruiter today and she was
laughing about applicants who keep applying to every position
available. She said they never get the point that they're an automatic
reject. At least she didn't mention your name, so hope springs
eternal. Or maybe it doesn't. Because there was more to the
conversation. You're practically a celebrity among nursing recruiters
now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:36:28 -0700 (PDT), BillyZoom
>Of course you did, homo. Lots of spare time, eh, loser? And not so
>lots of money. I was talking to a nursing recruiter today and she was
>laughing about applicants who keep applying to every position
>available. She said they never get the point that they're an automatic
>reject. At least she didn't mention your name, so hope springs
>eternal. Or maybe it doesn't. Because there was more to the
>conversation. You're practically a celebrity among nursing recruiters
>now!

Oh BillyBlastoff! Thanks for all you help and good thoughts! God bless
you!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/04/2012 3:44 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Apr 18, 5:12 pm, Chemo the > wrote:
>> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
> on the old black and white 12 incher. We got to know the kids names,
> who dated whom etc. He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
> to their hits.
>
> We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

We also learned what music we liked. The top 100 was list of the music
that was being pushed by the record companies. Teenagers, despite their
rebellious nature, got sucked into the peer pressure that was being
exerted on them.

> I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
> difference between it and owning many adapters.

Our hifi system had two different turntables, one for playing 78s and
33 1/3, and another one with a wider spindle for the larger holes in the
45s. I don't remember anyone else having one like that. Most people used
the inserts. to adapt them to the regular spindles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:27:28 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 5:40*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 2:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>> > One of those spindles for 45's that functoned with the record changing
>> > mechanism on the skinny little 33 spindle?

>> > I remember those now that you mention them!

>> > John Kuthe...

>> Remember the little plastic inserts you could put in the 45 hole so it
>> would work on the spindle?

>That's what I meant by adapters. They were easily broken.

And all these years I thought those were interuterine birth control
devices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2:28 am, "I'm back on the laptop" >
> wrote:
> Chemo the Clown > wrote in news:fa90298a-
> ea23-4ea2-
>
> > > 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> > Sad :-(

> > He had a great voice.

> I still think it's funny how you can tell when these famous types
> are ready to go by how they tend to stay out of the public eye as
> they're rotting away. I noticed a few years back that Dick's
> appearances were becoming less frequent. That made me wonder, "Is it
> time Dick?" And sure enough it was. He had had enough. His pot was
> overflowing. Life bubbled out of his cauldron. He looked younger
> than he was - for a while - but in the end he looked as old as he was
> supposed to look, if not older. I loved Dick. But for God's sake
> man, he's gone - he's finished - and let's just get over it- may God
> rest his soul.
>
> TJ

He was a dick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> The way people talk about death is weird. When people write RIP, it
> makes me think, "While it may appear that the person is resting
> peacefully, upon closer examination you'll find that the person is
> actually dead." Also the "the late so-and-so." If they were merely
> late, you'd expect them to eventually show up, but they're not late,
> they're dead, and they won't be arriving at all. Not late, not ever.
>
> --Bryan

Agreed! Death sucks no matter how much you try to candy coat it.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 7:45*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:36:28 -0700 (PDT), > wrote:

> >Of course you did, homo. Lots of spare time, eh, loser? And not so
> >lots of money. I was talking to a nursing recruiter today and she was
> >laughing about applicants who keep applying to every position
> >available. She said they never get the point that they're an automatic
> >reject. At least she didn't mention your name, so hope springs
> >eternal. Or maybe it doesn't. Because there was more to the
> >conversation. You're practically a celebrity among nursing recruiters
> >now!

> Oh BillyBlastoff! Thanks for all you help and good thoughts! God bless
> you!
>
> John Kuthe...

Believe me, you're welcome. And thanks for being such an immediate
washout. We hate employees who take a while to show what failures they
are. You were easy. Like Sunday Morning. What's the next "career" move
old man?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 6:56*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 19/04/2012 3:44 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Apr 18, 5:12 pm, Chemo the > *wrote:
> >> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> > Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
> > on the old black and white 12 incher. *We got to know the kids names,
> > who dated whom etc. *He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
> > to their hits.

> > We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

> We also learned what music we liked. The top 100 was list of the music
> that was being pushed by the record companies. Teenagers, despite their
> rebellious nature, got sucked into the peer pressure that was being
> exerted on them.

Still, there was a lot of good stuff. The Rolling Stones... Man,
from the first of their self written songs, through at least Exile, it
was all so good. Tell you another good thing, spinach with Gouda
cheese sauce.

I missed getting to buy most of the greatest records when they were
first released, but the upside of being younger was that I was truly
able to appreciate the Rock'n Roll revival that was mid-'70s punk. I
was 16 in 1977, and my life was all about Rock'n Roll, and getting
high. My friends and I hated almost everything on the radio, and sat
around listening to The Stones, Mott the Hoople, Traffic, Dylan,
Bowie, Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Buffalo
Springfield/CSNY/Neil Young, etc. Our music was the *older* stuff,
but then we discovered The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned, Dead Boys,
Ramones...

> > * I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
> > difference between it and owning many adapters.

> Our hifi system had two different turntables, one for playing 78s and
> 33 1/3, and another one with a wider spindle for the larger holes in the
> 45s. I don't remember anyone else having one like that. Most people used
> the inserts. to adapt them to the regular spindles.

Letting records drop was never a good thing.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:25:58 -0700 (PDT), BillyZoom

Oh BillyBeanbag, you are so clever! When I grow up I wanna be just
like you!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 9:49*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:25:58 -0700 (PDT), > wrote:

> Oh BillyBeanbag, you are so clever! When I grow up I wanna be just
> like you!
>
> John Kuthe...

Ooooh. You're trying sooo hard, Johny! Keep being cordial. Who told
you that would disarm the situation? I'm going to continue to ruin
your career regardless. You've been an asshole for far too long to
pull this off. It seems only Bryan is stupid enough to fall for your
new persona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
>on the old black and white 12 incher. We got to know the kids names,
>who dated whom etc. He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
>to their hits.
>
>We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

He sort of "fell into it" with AB. The original "Bandstand was just a
Philadelphia show. The original host, Bob Horn fell out of favor and
was fired after a drunk driving charge. It was also thought he was
dating some of the girls that appeared on the show. Dick Clark was a
replacement for him. He was smart to be able to build an empire after.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:04:53 -0700 (PDT), BillyZoom

Oh BillyBottlewasher! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 8:16*am, Bryan > wrote:

> The way people talk about death is weird. *When people write RIP, it
> makes me think, "While it may appear that the person is resting
> peacefully, upon closer examination you'll find that the person is
> actually dead."

Another funny comment, one to which I as a young kid responded to
as it was made by my best friend who knew my humor well but whose
father had just died. He told me the funny comment - said his father
died peacefully in his sleep - to which I replied, "How do you know it
was peacefully?" The worst dreams in history could have been soaring
through his head. Even after they're dead and rigored stiff, who
knows what thoughts consume their souls. Yes, some say that we we die
our souls leave the flesh. I believe that is true - it leaves the
flesh and enters the bones - trapped forever in the coffin till the
earth works it's way through and mingles the body into the natural
recycling process. Can't help it, death is a funny topic.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 10:59*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> That's very astute of you to have the hindsight that somebody 83 years
> would pass away soon. *Do you have one of those hind-sighted crystal
> balls they sell at K-Mart? (Martha Stewart invented it while she was
> in federal prison).
>
> It's called getting old Tommy Joe. *Not everybody is a Jack Lalane.
> And you're getting old in more ways than one.

That was an enjoyable post from you Sqwertz.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 12:36*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Why would he want to keep working in such a competitive and shallow
> business? He made lot of money over the years and he had a chance to
> relax and enjoy himself. Besides, he was involved in a business aimed at
> teens, and he was, quite frankly, waaaay too old to be appealing to them.

Can't help it, I just love when famous people die. Of course I
get more of a kick out of it when they die in their prime, not when
they're in their 80s. Nothing personal against Clark, I just think
it's funny when ultra famous people die, especially when they're young
and in their prime and a bunch of people get all hysterical about it.
It's that insane reaction from the public that makes it funny, I think
(not that humor needs to be explained). It's funny to see people cry
publicly over people they never met. It makes me wonder how they'd
lose it if someone close to them dies. Then it further makes me
wonder if maybe those who are close don't mean as much as famous
people they've never met. But Clark didn't give me much of a rush,
probably because of his age. He was a famous one though - he'll get
the usual flow of standard comments - you know, "He will be missed",
or, "RIP", or whatever. But to me, "He will be missed" is the
funniest because it's so simple to say, requires little effort from
those saying it - and it's true - of course at some point he will
indeed be missed, by somebody.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/04/2012 9:43 PM, Bryan wrote:

>> We also learned what music we liked. The top 100 was list of the music
>> that was being pushed by the record companies. Teenagers, despite their
>> rebellious nature, got sucked into the peer pressure that was being
>> exerted on them.

> Still, there was a lot of good stuff. The Rolling Stones... Man,
> from the first of their self written songs, through at least Exile, it
> was all so good. Tell you another good thing, spinach with Gouda
> cheese sauce.

Sure. There was some good stuff, but there was a lot of crap too. When
the British Invasion hit there were some great bands, but there was a
lot of crap that got sucked into the teen music market along with the
Beatles and the Stones. Then there was the imitators, like the
artificially created Monkees, recruited to play parts in the band that
was based on the Beatles.

> I missed getting to buy most of the greatest records when they were
> first released, but the upside of being younger was that I was truly
> able to appreciate the Rock'n Roll revival that was mid-'70s punk. I
> was 16 in 1977, and my life was all about Rock'n Roll, and getting
> high. My friends and I hated almost everything on the radio, and sat
> around listening to The Stones, Mott the Hoople, Traffic, Dylan,
> Bowie, Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Buffalo
> Springfield/CSNY/Neil Young, etc. Our music was the *older* stuff,
> but then we discovered The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned, Dead Boys,
> Ramones...

Curiously, as good as some of those bands may or may not have been,
their position on the charts was a matter of marketing. When songs get
into the top 10 kids rish out and buy them because they are top 10.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:43:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 19/04/2012 9:43 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
>>> We also learned what music we liked. The top 100 was list of the music
>>> that was being pushed by the record companies. Teenagers, despite their
>>> rebellious nature, got sucked into the peer pressure that was being
>>> exerted on them.

>> Still, there was a lot of good stuff. The Rolling Stones... Man,
>> from the first of their self written songs, through at least Exile, it
>> was all so good. Tell you another good thing, spinach with Gouda
>> cheese sauce.

>Sure. There was some good stuff, but there was a lot of crap too. When
>the British Invasion hit there were some great bands, but there was a
>lot of crap that got sucked into the teen music market along with the
>Beatles and the Stones. Then there was the imitators, like the
>artificially created Monkees, recruited to play parts in the band that
>was based on the Beatles.

As far as pop music goes, much of The Monkees stuff was not bad at
all!

But you are correct. The public's appetite for crappy music never
ceases to amaze me.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> The public's appetite for crappy music never
> ceases to amaze me.
>
> John Kuthe...

There really is no crappy music. All is an artist's version of what sounds
cool to them, at least. As long as even that person likes it, it's good
stuff.

There's lots that I love and equally lots that I don't like but who cares
about my tastes. And speaking of tastes, I need to find a good recipe for
stuffed and baked fish, dammit.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Lay-down-dance" music (was: RIP Dick Clark)

On Apr 20, 6:55*pm, Gary > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > The public's appetite for crappy music never
> > ceases to amaze me.

> > John Kuthe...

> There really is no crappy music. *All is an artist's version of what sounds
> cool to them, at least. *As long as even that person likes it, it's good
> stuff.

My favorite make-love-to music is The Rolling Stones, especially Let
it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. Steely Dan's,
Can't Buy a Thrill is good stuff too, as are the Bowie albums, The
Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Diamond
Dogs and Aladdin Sane.

Anyone else want to chime in with their favorites? C'mon, we're grown-
ups here.

> Gary

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/04/2012 7:55 PM, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> The public's appetite for crappy music never
>> ceases to amaze me.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> There really is no crappy music. All is an artist's version of what sounds
> cool to them, at least. As long as even that person likes it, it's good
> stuff.

Oh yes there is crappy music.

Clark County Fair Beti Preserving 4 10-08-2010 10:49 PM
Clark's Women's Swansea Pump [email protected] Diabetic 0 22-05-2009 05:39 AM
Clark Bar Cookies Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 13-08-2005 05:40 AM
PING: Michael Clark, Kaffir limes [email protected] Asian Cooking 1 17-12-2004 03:39 AM