Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Clark County Fair

While at the fair today, we checked out the preserving exhibits.
There was some nice stuff - a few pretty marmalades, apple butters,
pie fillings and tomatoes but nothing really out of the ordinary. One
odd thing we saw was many jars seemingly in the same categories, e.g.,
multiple strawberry jams, all with 1st or 2nd or 3rd place ribbon
sticker on them. I asked a gal at the info table and she said that
all entries are judged independently, not against one another. So
basically if an entry meets the basic criteria, it "wins" a little
blue ribbon sticker. There were a few special entries, a sort of best
in show situation, that were put out in a special case.

Has it always been that way and I just haven't noticed? I thought you
entered your strawberry jam and if it was the best of all it got a
blue ribbon. This just seems to make everyone's entry an "also
ran".

Not to criticize the entries at all but after perusing the "winners",
I am feeling pretty confident about entering next year. If my
lavender keeps growing at the rate it has been, I'm definitely using
that in some combination - apple lavender jelly maybe, or lavender
peach depending on what peaches I can get in time.

Cheers!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/10/2010 1:11 AM, Beti wrote:
> While at the fair today, we checked out the preserving exhibits.
> There was some nice stuff - a few pretty marmalades, apple butters,
> pie fillings and tomatoes but nothing really out of the ordinary. One
> odd thing we saw was many jars seemingly in the same categories, e.g.,
> multiple strawberry jams, all with 1st or 2nd or 3rd place ribbon
> sticker on them. I asked a gal at the info table and she said that
> all entries are judged independently, not against one another. So
> basically if an entry meets the basic criteria, it "wins" a little
> blue ribbon sticker. There were a few special entries, a sort of best
> in show situation, that were put out in a special case.
>
> Has it always been that way and I just haven't noticed? I thought you
> entered your strawberry jam and if it was the best of all it got a
> blue ribbon. This just seems to make everyone's entry an "also
> ran".

The annual harvest fair held in our small city is the same way. Didn't
use to be that way back in the sixties when we came over from Texas to
compete in the rabbit show. Nowadays everyone gets a couple of bucks and
a ribbon. I don't think they even judge canning entries. I entered once,
a long time ago and saw everyone get a ribbon, even for some very badly
preserved stuff, I quit entering the fair. Some fairs are carrying
political correctness too far in my humble opinion. The contests that
children enter around here are often full of "winners." The exception is
a children's art fair that DW helps judge, only the true winners get a
ribbon or trophy, the rest get an "I entered the show" certificate.

> Not to criticize the entries at all but after perusing the "winners",
> I am feeling pretty confident about entering next year. If my
> lavender keeps growing at the rate it has been, I'm definitely using
> that in some combination - apple lavender jelly maybe, or lavender
> peach depending on what peaches I can get in time.
>
> Cheers!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Beti > wrote:

> While at the fair today, we checked out the preserving exhibits.
> There was some nice stuff - a few pretty marmalades, apple butters,
> pie fillings and tomatoes but nothing really out of the ordinary. One
> odd thing we saw was many jars seemingly in the same categories, e.g.,
> multiple strawberry jams, all with 1st or 2nd or 3rd place ribbon
> sticker on them. I asked a gal at the info table and she said that
> all entries are judged independently, not against one another. So
> basically if an entry meets the basic criteria, it "wins" a little
> blue ribbon sticker. There were a few special entries, a sort of best
> in show situation, that were put out in a special case.
>
> Has it always been that way and I just haven't noticed? I thought you
> entered your strawberry jam and if it was the best of all it got a
> blue ribbon. This just seems to make everyone's entry an "also
> ran".

I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph.

At the Great Minnesota Get-Together, canning entries are judged
individually with a 100 point maximum score with points for things likes
color, texture and consistency, processing, and flavor. Flavor is
always worth the most points (typically 35), with the other categories
worth 10-20. The assessments are made, the points totaled, and the
rankings established, first to fifth. First through fourth place are
awarded ribbons: blue, red, white, and pink, respectively; money is
awarded for first through third place, the amount depending on the
category (jams, jellies, pickles, etc.).

You may want to remember that we're ribbon sluts, not ribbon whores
because there's no money in it. "-)

> Not to criticize the entries at all but after perusing the "winners",
> I am feeling pretty confident about entering next year.

Go for it. If you've never entered a fair, you'll find it's a fun
experience * and you'll never be the same. <grin>
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 08/10/2010 07:25 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> While at the fair today, we checked out the preserving exhibits.
>> There was some nice stuff - a few pretty marmalades, apple butters,
>> pie fillings and tomatoes but nothing really out of the ordinary. One
>> odd thing we saw was many jars seemingly in the same categories, e.g.,
>> multiple strawberry jams, all with 1st or 2nd or 3rd place ribbon
>> sticker on them. I asked a gal at the info table and she said that
>> all entries are judged independently, not against one another. So
>> basically if an entry meets the basic criteria, it "wins" a little
>> blue ribbon sticker. There were a few special entries, a sort of best
>> in show situation, that were put out in a special case.
>>
>> Has it always been that way and I just haven't noticed? I thought you
>> entered your strawberry jam and if it was the best of all it got a
>> blue ribbon. This just seems to make everyone's entry an "also
>> ran".

> I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph.
>
> At the Great Minnesota Get-Together, canning entries are judged
> individually with a 100 point maximum score with points for things likes
> color, texture and consistency, processing, and flavor. Flavor is
> always worth the most points (typically 35), with the other categories
> worth 10-20. The assessments are made, the points totaled, and the
> rankings established, first to fifth. First through fourth place are
> awarded ribbons: blue, red, white, and pink, respectively; money is
> awarded for first through third place, the amount depending on the
> category (jams, jellies, pickles, etc.).
>
> You may want to remember that we're ribbon sluts, not ribbon whores
> because there's no money in it. "-)
>
>> Not to criticize the entries at all but after perusing the "winners",
>> I am feeling pretty confident about entering next year.

> Go for it. If you've never entered a fair, you'll find it's a fun
> experience * and you'll never be the same.<grin>

There's the "American" system, where all entries compete against each
other, with one first place award, one second place, etc. At our county
fair, awards are based on what they call the "Dutch" system, where
entries compete against a scorecard instead of each other. While this
allows multiple blue ribbons, it also allows for *no* ribbons at the
opposite extreme when all the entries are poor.

An extra twist is "Best of Category", a blue ribbon with a larger
rosette, with only one per category. For example, if all the apple
jellies were really good and had already received blue ribbons, one is
selected as best and awarded Best of Category. There is often a "Best of
Show" with an even larger rosette, where the best jams, jellies and
preserves, for instance, compete against each other for the single
award. Under the Dutch system, the "Best of" awards don't have to be given.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Whirled Peas > wrote:

> On 08/10/2010 07:25 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> While at the fair today, we checked out the preserving exhibits.
> >> There was some nice stuff - a few pretty marmalades, apple butters,
> >> pie fillings and tomatoes but nothing really out of the ordinary. One
> >> odd thing we saw was many jars seemingly in the same categories, e.g.,
> >> multiple strawberry jams, all with 1st or 2nd or 3rd place ribbon
> >> sticker on them. I asked a gal at the info table and she said that
> >> all entries are judged independently, not against one another. So
> >> basically if an entry meets the basic criteria, it "wins" a little
> >> blue ribbon sticker. There were a few special entries, a sort of best
> >> in show situation, that were put out in a special case.
> >>
> >> Has it always been that way and I just haven't noticed? I thought you
> >> entered your strawberry jam and if it was the best of all it got a
> >> blue ribbon. This just seems to make everyone's entry an "also
> >> ran".

> > I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph.
> >
> > At the Great Minnesota Get-Together, canning entries are judged
> > individually with a 100 point maximum score with points for things likes
> > color, texture and consistency, processing, and flavor. Flavor is
> > always worth the most points (typically 35), with the other categories
> > worth 10-20. The assessments are made, the points totaled, and the
> > rankings established, first to fifth. First through fourth place are
> > awarded ribbons: blue, red, white, and pink, respectively; money is
> > awarded for first through third place, the amount depending on the
> > category (jams, jellies, pickles, etc.).
> >
> > You may want to remember that we're ribbon sluts, not ribbon whores
> > because there's no money in it. "-)
> >
> >> Not to criticize the entries at all but after perusing the "winners",
> >> I am feeling pretty confident about entering next year.

> > Go for it. If you've never entered a fair, you'll find it's a fun
> > experience * and you'll never be the same.<grin>

> There's the "American" system, where all entries compete against each
> other, with one first place award, one second place, etc. At our county
> fair, awards are based on what they call the "Dutch" system, where
> entries compete against a scorecard instead of each other. While this
> allows multiple blue ribbons, it also allows for *no* ribbons at the
> opposite extreme when all the entries are poor.
>
> An extra twist is "Best of Category", a blue ribbon with a larger
> rosette, with only one per category. For example, if all the apple
> jellies were really good and had already received blue ribbons, one is
> selected as best and awarded Best of Category. There is often a "Best of
> Show" with an even larger rosette, where the best jams, jellies and
> preserves, for instance, compete against each other for the single
> award. Under the Dutch system, the "Best of" awards don't have to be given.

The Minnesota State Fair judges use something akin to the Dutch system,
then, although there is but one blue, red, white, and pink ribbon
awarded‹mostly! There have been lots and years when no blue was
awarded, or perhaps no second, etc. And I'll never forget the year I
entered something and out of four entries, mine didn't place. :-)
Minnesota does the Sweepstakes thing with baking but not with canning.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?

LA county Fair. Dimitri General Cooking 9 04-09-2010 08:27 AM
County Fair The Cook Preserving 0 19-09-2007 01:39 PM
County Fair The Cook Preserving 0 14-08-2007 08:04 PM
Olmsted County Fair zxcvbob General Cooking 0 08-08-2005 04:42 AM
My county fair Melba's Jammin' Preserving 0 14-08-2004 01:43 AM