Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default RIP Dick Clark

On Apr 19, 6:56*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 19/04/2012 3:44 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Apr 18, 5:12 pm, Chemo the > *wrote:
> >> 82 years old and rocked the whole time!!

> > Seems like yesterday we'd rush home from school and tune in Bandstand
> > on the old black and white 12 incher. *We got to know the kids names,
> > who dated whom etc. *He'd have pop singers on, lip synching of course,
> > to their hits.

> > We learned the hits and dances by watching AB.

> We also learned what music we liked. The top 100 was list of the music
> that was being pushed by the record companies. Teenagers, despite their
> rebellious nature, got sucked into the peer pressure that was being
> exerted on them.

Still, there was a lot of good stuff. The Rolling Stones... Man,
from the first of their self written songs, through at least Exile, it
was all so good. Tell you another good thing, spinach with Gouda
cheese sauce.

I missed getting to buy most of the greatest records when they were
first released, but the upside of being younger was that I was truly
able to appreciate the Rock'n Roll revival that was mid-'70s punk. I
was 16 in 1977, and my life was all about Rock'n Roll, and getting
high. My friends and I hated almost everything on the radio, and sat
around listening to The Stones, Mott the Hoople, Traffic, Dylan,
Bowie, Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Buffalo
Springfield/CSNY/Neil Young, etc. Our music was the *older* stuff,
but then we discovered The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned, Dead Boys,
Ramones...

> > * I recently had to describe a 45 spindle to a 17 year old and the
> > difference between it and owning many adapters.

> Our hifi system had two different turntables, one for playing 78s and
> 33 1/3, and another one with a wider spindle for the larger holes in the
> 45s. I don't remember anyone else having one like that. Most people used
> the inserts. to adapt them to the regular spindles.

Letting records drop was never a good thing.

--Bryan