Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
beans or veggies. I loved that stuff. There were hundreds of small
places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
(usually).

I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
pork in big pots during the night. I've seen them. I think they
simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.

My questions are as follows:

Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
know, not too many ingredients?

And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.

Thanks,

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 18, 9:59*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> * When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
> many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
> beans or veggies. *I loved that stuff. *There were hundreds of small
> places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
> (usually).
>
> * *I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
> pork in big pots during the night. *I've seen them. *I think they
> simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.
>
> * *My questions are as follows:
>
> * *Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
> know, not too many ingredients?
>
> * *And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
> chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. *I'd rather make it
> myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
> needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
> like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.
>
> * * Thanks,
>
> * * TJ

My customers loved this one. We served it often for a lunch
special. An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
who lost her restaurant due to a landlord selling the building. She
came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
cooking. I have a few of her recipes on the site. This one is
particularly good and very easy.

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 8:45*am, Bull > wrote:

> Here's an easy one. *Leave out what ever you don't have. *Don't leave
> out the pork or peppers.
>
> http://www.happysimpleliving.com/201...wn-green-chile...
> h-this-easy-recipe/
>
> Herdez is a decent canned or jarred product.
>
> BULL

Thanks. In a rush now to get somewhere but will check it out
later. Thanks for including the name of a jarred product as well. I
might start with that.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 10:25*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> My customers loved this one. * We served it often for a lunch
> special. *An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
> who lost her restaurant due to *a landlord selling the building. * She
> came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
> cooking. * I have a few of her recipes on the site. * This one is
> particularly good and very easy.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde

Thank you too. What's funny is, I lived in L.A. for 23 years and
ate at all sorts of mexican and thai restaurants, mostly in Hollywood
and east Hollywood, and believe it or not one of my favorites spots
was a Los Burritos on Hollywood Blvd. It's a chain, but they're not
all the same. I ate at plenty of good places, but that one had the
green chile pork burritos I loved most. The guy who owned it was an
arab, maybe that's why. I'm part arab too. Anyway, it seems funny
that of all the great hole in the wall mexican joints in L.A. I'd pick
a chain like Los Burritos as my favorite. But it was not my exact
favorite, just for the green chile pork. Thanks for your help, I will
check out the link later as I'm about to head out the door.

Thanks,
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 2:20*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Mar 19, 10:25*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > My customers loved this one. * We served it often for a lunch
> > special. *An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
> > who lost her restaurant due to *a landlord selling the building. * She
> > came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
> > cooking. * I have a few of her recipes on the site. * This one is
> > particularly good and very easy.

> >http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde

> * *Thank you too. *What's funny is, I lived in L.A. for 23 years and
> ate at all sorts of mexican and thai restaurants, mostly in Hollywood
> and east Hollywood, and believe it or not one of my favorites spots
> was a Los Burritos on Hollywood Blvd. *It's a chain, but they're not
> all the same. *I ate at plenty of good places, but that one had the
> green chile pork burritos I loved most. *The guy who owned it was an
> arab, maybe that's why. *I'm part arab too. *Anyway, it seems funny
> that of all the great hole in the wall mexican joints in L.A. I'd pick
> a chain like Los Burritos as my favorite. *But it was not my exact
> favorite, just for the green chile pork. *Thanks for your help, I will
> check out the link later as I'm about to head out the door.
>
> Thanks,
> TJ

An arab burrito...who'd thunk it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
>know, not too many ingredients?
>
> And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
>chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
>myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
>needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
>like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.

No tomatillos?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 8:45*am, Bull > wrote:

> Here's an easy one. *Leave out what ever you don't have. *Don't leave
> out the pork or peppers.
>
> http://www.happysimpleliving.com/201...wn-green-chile...
> h-this-easy-recipe/

Simple enough for me, I might even forgo the pepper roasting
process. I'm lazy and have a dirty oven. Sounds good. Copied and
pasted into my recipe files. Thanks.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 10:25*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> My customers loved this one. * We served it often for a lunch
> special. *An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
> who lost her restaurant due to *a landlord selling the building. * She
> came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
> cooking. * I have a few of her recipes on the site. * This one is
> particularly good and very easy.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde

Thank you too. Checked out the recipe and it looks simple and
easy and good. I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
but that shows you what I don't know. I made a roast of pork last
night in plain water, didn't even brown it first. Not saying it's
great, but making things all at once is not always necessary even if
people think it is. I make a lot of foods that way, very assembly-
line - micro a tater, steam some cabbage, broil some meat, put it in
the fridge till whenever, then sling it all together with whatever you
choose. I used a little water and lemon with fresh minced garlic and
olive oil over those ingredients, plus added a few florets of brocoli
and even a sliced mushroom to the mix before stirring. Then I put it
in the microwave for 4 minutes. The already cooked foods did not
overcook, but the uncooked shrooms and brocoli did, giving the look
and taste of something whose ingredients had been cooked together.
Anyway, thanks for the recipe - I like the simpleness of it - and the
same goes for BULL.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 8:03*pm, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> *No tomatillos?

Now I'm getting confused again, and that's no good. I thought
chile verde was made with tomatillos. Not that I care, the recipes
Bull and I'mstillmags looked nice and simple and good tasting. But
yes, I always thought the same as you about the tomatillos.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 8:13*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
> Mexico or LA!

Thanks for your response as well. I have to admit though that I
have a dirty old oven and I'm not about to clean it, and keeping it on
for 5 straight hours might burn down the building if I don't die from
smoke inhalation first. No oven cooking for me. Thanks for your
response however.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:25:49 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
> who lost her restaurant due to a landlord selling the building. She
> came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
> cooking. I have a few of her recipes on the site. This one is
> particularly good and very easy.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde

Oh, thanks - that *is* easy! I've been on a pork shoulder roll lately
and this is another way I can cook it. I was thinking about a Cuban
style roast this week, but maybe I'll switch it to verde.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:13:18 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
> Mexico or LA!

I cooked it that way last Friday! I salted it, but didn't consider
the salting "heavy". When the pork came out of the oven, I pulled it
into chunks and then browned them in a skillet. We ate our carnitas
with all the fixings in soft corn tortilla "shells".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2012 7:03 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Mar 19, 8:13 pm, > wrote:
>
>> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
>> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
>> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
>> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
>> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
>> Mexico or LA!

> Thanks for your response as well. I have to admit though that I
> have a dirty old oven and I'm not about to clean it, and keeping it on
> for 5 straight hours might burn down the building if I don't die from
> smoke inhalation first. No oven cooking for me. Thanks for your
> response however.
>
> TJ

Now that's one dirty oven!
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zz Yzx View Post
Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
know, not too many ingredients?

And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.

No tomatillos?
thank friends, i am very interested in this topic. Delicious recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2012 8:45 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:13:18 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
>> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
>> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
>> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
>> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
>> Mexico or LA!

> I cooked it that way last Friday! I salted it, but didn't consider
> the salting "heavy". When the pork came out of the oven, I pulled it
> into chunks and then browned them in a skillet. We ate our carnitas
> with all the fixings in soft corn tortilla "shells".

Cooking a pork butt this way is too easy. You spend about 10 minutes on
the thing and set it in the oven - no need to preheat the oven. You
don't need to use a dutch oven - a regular covered pan works fine. You
can also use plain water or apple juice instead of chicken stock. I like
the idea of frying the cooked pork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:

> When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
>many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
>beans or veggies. I loved that stuff. There were hundreds of small
>places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
>(usually).
>
> I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
>pork in big pots during the night. I've seen them. I think they
>simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
>know, not too many ingredients?
>
> And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
>chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
>myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
>needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
>like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.
>
> Thanks,
>
> TJ

You need to have tomatillos in the recipe in order to get anywhere
close to the taste that you remember. Without them it is just pork
chili. I've never used them so I can't vouch for them, but you can
buy canned tomatillos.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:50:26 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:59:42 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:
>
>>I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
>>but that shows you what I don't know.

>In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
>chiles. They are the star of the show..
>
>Christine

I didn't know that, I thought tomatillos were necessary. thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:36:50 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> Cooking a pork butt this way is too easy. You spend about 10 minutes on
> the thing and set it in the oven - no need to preheat the oven. You
> don't need to use a dutch oven - a regular covered pan works fine. You
> can also use plain water or apple juice instead of chicken stock. I like
> the idea of frying the cooked pork.

I have another pork shoulder and intend to try making Cuban pork roast
next, but I will have to fake the mojo sauce by mixing freshly
squeezed Valencia orange and lime juice (since I don't have a sour
orange tree in the back yard). These recipes will be my guide
http://www.tasteofcuba.com/mojo.html
or Cuban Style Pork Roast (Lechón Asado)
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-lech...anstyle-114145

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:21:32 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:50:26 -0600, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:59:42 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
> >>but that shows you what I don't know.

> >In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
> >chiles. They are the star of the show..
> >
> >Christine

> I didn't know that, I thought tomatillos were necessary. thanks
> Janet US

New Mexico has its own style of cooking (all the recipes I looked at
call for tomato also) which is very tasty, but I like green chili made
with tomatillos too. I don't think the tomatillos over power the
chiles, I think they compliment it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:18:35 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> You need to have tomatillos in the recipe in order to get anywhere
> close to the taste that you remember. Without them it is just pork
> chili. I've never used them so I can't vouch for them, but you can
> buy canned tomatillos.

I've used them and they're fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:04:41 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:21:32 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:50:26 -0600, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:

>> >In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
>> >chiles. They are the star of the show..
>> >
>> >Christine

>> I didn't know that, I thought tomatillos were necessary. thanks
>> Janet US

>New Mexico has its own style of cooking (all the recipes I looked at
>call for tomato also) which is very tasty, but I like green chili made
>with tomatillos too. I don't think the tomatillos over power the
>chiles, I think they compliment it.

I'll have to pull out my New Mexico cookbooks and check. I've never
noticed that difference. Since I already had a chile verde recipe
that I enjoyed I guess I didn't pay much attention.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Mar 19, 8:03 pm, Zz Yzx > wrote:
>

>> No tomatillos?

> Now I'm getting confused again, and that's no good. I thought
> chile verde was made with tomatillos. Not that I care, the recipes
> Bull and I'mstillmags looked nice and simple and good tasting. But
> yes, I always thought the same as you about the tomatillos.
>
> TJ

Tomatillos are a filler if you don't have enough green chiles, or if the
green chiles you have are too hot. Kind of like tomatoes in red chili,
but moreso.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:04:41 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:21:32 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:50:26 -0600, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:

>> >In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
>> >chiles. They are the star of the show..
>> >
>> >Christine

>> I didn't know that, I thought tomatillos were necessary. thanks
>> Janet US

>New Mexico has its own style of cooking (all the recipes I looked at
>call for tomato also) which is very tasty, but I like green chili made
>with tomatillos too. I don't think the tomatillos over power the
>chiles, I think they compliment it.

I checked 3 of my New Mexico cookbooks and you guys are right. . .no
tomatillo. "Flora's Kitchen" makes hers using pork chops. "The Feast
of Santa Fe" waxes on about dozens and dozens of 'chile verde.' The
point being that sauce made with green chilies is chile verde --
whatever the ultimate use. The book does point out that the very same
sauces in Mexico will probably include tomatillos. "Christmas in New
Mexico" also makes green chile without tomatillos.
I stand corrected.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>New Mexico has its own style of cooking (all the recipes I looked at
>call for tomato also) which is very tasty, but I like green chili made
>with tomatillos too. I don't think the tomatillos over power the
>chiles, I think they compliment it.

"My, you're a handsome chili, Mr. Green Chili."

"Thank you for saying so, Ms. Tomatillo."

Like that, sort of?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Tommy Joe > wrote:
>
>>I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
>>but that shows you what I don't know.

> In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
> chiles. They are the star of the show..

The word chile is in the name after all. But I've seen green sauce made
with only green chilis, only tomatillos or both. I don't know if that's
a regional variation in Mexican cuisines or if it varies family to
family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2012 5:52 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:36:50 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> Cooking a pork butt this way is too easy. You spend about 10 minutes on
>> the thing and set it in the oven - no need to preheat the oven. You
>> don't need to use a dutch oven - a regular covered pan works fine. You
>> can also use plain water or apple juice instead of chicken stock. I like
>> the idea of frying the cooked pork.

> I have another pork shoulder and intend to try making Cuban pork roast
> next, but I will have to fake the mojo sauce by mixing freshly
> squeezed Valencia orange and lime juice (since I don't have a sour
> orange tree in the back yard). These recipes will be my guide
> http://www.tasteofcuba.com/mojo.html
> or Cuban Style Pork Roast (Lechón Asado)
> http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-lech...anstyle-114145

Christ, that sounds great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2012 2:18 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> Tommy > wrote:
>>
>>> I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
>>> but that shows you what I don't know.

>> In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
>> chiles. They are the star of the show..

> The word chile is in the name after all. But I've seen green sauce made
> with only green chilis, only tomatillos or both. I don't know if that's
> a regional variation in Mexican cuisines or if it varies family to
> family.

I certainly use tomatillos in green chili but it's optional. I don't
even like to make a regular chili without tomatillos.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 20, 11:18*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
> > Tommy Joe > wrote:

> >>I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
> >>but that shows you what I don't know.

> > In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
> > chiles. * They are the star of the show..

> The word chile is in the name after all. *But I've seen green sauce made
> with only green chilis, only tomatillos or both. *I don't know if that's
> a regional variation in Mexican cuisines or if it varies family to
> family.

Here is Mona's recipe for Salsa Verde. It uses both tomatillos and
jalapenos. One of the best, if not the best I've ever had.
I miss Mona.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/sau...as-salsa-verde
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 3:16*am, dsi1 > wrote:

> > * * *Thanks for your response as well. *I have to admit though that I
> > have a dirty old oven and I'm not about to clean it, and keeping it on
> > for 5 straight hours might burn down the building if I don't die from
> > smoke inhalation first. *No oven cooking for me. *Thanks for your
> > response however.

> Now that's one dirty oven!

You got that right. I had to tear out the smoke alarm years
ago. I've cleaned the oven but it's old and the cleaning does not
last long, and frankly, I'm a lazy person and I can tell you that next
I want it cleaned I'm going to pay someone to do it. I was screaming
the same thing yesterday when I cleaned my bathtub for the first time
in a long while. It too is old. The first night I took the curtains
down - just a liner, but a good one - the curtains for the tub and
also for the window of the apartment. I threw the ugly bacteria-
ridden liners away. That left the tub bare, forcing me to clean it
the next day if I wanted to take a shower. I came home all sweated up
from a 4 mile walk and that's when I cleaned the tub. It was a chore,
and as I was doing it, especially when it came time to attach the new
curtains to those stupid hard-to-open-and-close curtain shower rings
and I was straining on my toes to reach up there and get them on, I
was screaming really loud, "Why? Why am I doing this? Never again.
Never again", which was kind of funny maybe but also kind of true, and
next time I need that tub cleaned I'm going to pay someone to come up
here and do the tub and oven on the same trip.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:25:49 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Mar 18, 9:59*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
>> * When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
>> many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
>> beans or veggies. *I loved that stuff. *There were hundreds of small
>> places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
>> (usually).
>>
>> * *I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
>> pork in big pots during the night. *I've seen them. *I think they
>> simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.
>>
>> * *My questions are as follows:
>>
>> * *Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
>> know, not too many ingredients?
>>
>> * *And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
>> chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. *I'd rather make it
>> myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
>> needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
>> like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.
>>
>> * * Thanks,
>>
>> * * TJ

>My customers loved this one. We served it often for a lunch
>special. An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
>who lost her restaurant due to a landlord selling the building. She
>came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
>cooking. I have a few of her recipes on the site. This one is
>particularly good and very easy.
>
>http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde

Oh that looks wonderful, very close to what I make but I'll try this
for sure.

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 8:18*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> You need to have tomatillos in the recipe in order to get anywhere
> close to the taste that you remember. *Without them it is just pork
> chili. *I've never used them so I can't vouch for them, but you can
> buy canned tomatillos.
> Janet US

Janet, I'm not saying I'm a cook, but I'm probably more capable
than I sometimes think. I sometimes get suggestions to spark my
brain, and sometimes when I cook something not from a recipe but just
based on one it turns out better than following a recipe to the
letter. But now this tomatillo thing is making matters more
complicated. I have never cooked with them. I've seen them fresh in
the market and even bought some once a few years ago but didn't really
know what to do with them. You know what I'm thinking of doing?
Making chicken soup the way I normally make it with minced onions and
garlic and parsley and peppercorns and carrots and celery and a bay
leaf or two. I do not strain as some people do. I just cut the stuff
up so fine that it melts into the broth over an hour of cooking the
chicken. I think I'll brown the pork, then throw it in this same
chicken soup mix without the chicken and let it stew for an hour an a
half or so, then add cut up taters and cabbage to the mix along with
the carrots from the original broth which I remove and mash with a
fork and then put back in the broth. Thanks to all for giving me the
confidence to approach this thing with some kind of knowledge I didn't
have before. All responses are appreciated.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 1:20*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:

> Tomatillos are a filler if you don't have enough green chiles, or if the
> green chiles you have are too hot. *Kind of like tomatoes in red chili,
> but moreso.

Wow, maybe I'm better than I thought because I was thinking the
same thing, that the tomatillos are like a filler. Do you peel them
before putting them in the sauce? What is the approx ratio of
tomatillo to the rest of the sauce? I have never cooked with them.
The red chile sauces and the green I used to see in L.A. Mexican
joints - I always thought the red was tomato and the green was
tomatillo - but neither were chunky where you could actually see
them. I think they're cooked down till they sort of disappear, like a
sauce. Right?

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 6:29*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Here is Mona's recipe for Salsa Verde. * *It uses both tomatillos and
> jalapenos. * One of the best, if not the best I've ever had.
> I miss Mona.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/sau...-monas-salsa-v...

I appreciate all the info on this topic. I copied and am pasting
to my files all the recipes I've seen here for green chile. The one
you put the link to, that picture looked more like the green chile I
used to eat when I lived in L.A. Sounds simple and easy to make too.
Thanks for that one.

Thanks to all,
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:03:33 -0700, Zz Yzx >
wrote:

>> Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
>>know, not too many ingredients?
>>
>> And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
>>chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
>>myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
>>needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
>>like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.

> No tomatillos?

Troublemaker ;-)

BTW I'll be driving past your exit next month.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2012 1:48 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Mar 20, 3:16 am, > wrote:
>

>>> Thanks for your response as well. I have to admit though that I
>>> have a dirty old oven and I'm not about to clean it, and keeping it on
>>> for 5 straight hours might burn down the building if I don't die from
>>> smoke inhalation first. No oven cooking for me. Thanks for your
>>> response however.

>> Now that's one dirty oven!

> You got that right. I had to tear out the smoke alarm years
> ago. I've cleaned the oven but it's old and the cleaning does not
> last long, and frankly, I'm a lazy person and I can tell you that next
> I want it cleaned I'm going to pay someone to do it. I was screaming
> the same thing yesterday when I cleaned my bathtub for the first time
> in a long while. It too is old. The first night I took the curtains
> down - just a liner, but a good one - the curtains for the tub and
> also for the window of the apartment. I threw the ugly bacteria-
> ridden liners away. That left the tub bare, forcing me to clean it
> the next day if I wanted to take a shower. I came home all sweated up
> from a 4 mile walk and that's when I cleaned the tub. It was a chore,
> and as I was doing it, especially when it came time to attach the new
> curtains to those stupid hard-to-open-and-close curtain shower rings
> and I was straining on my toes to reach up there and get them on, I
> was screaming really loud, "Why? Why am I doing this? Never again.
> Never again", which was kind of funny maybe but also kind of true, and
> next time I need that tub cleaned I'm going to pay someone to come up
> here and do the tub and oven on the same trip.
>
> TJ

I feel your pain. My wife has the idea that she can clean that nasty
shower liner in the washing machine but that's kind of silly since a new
one can be had for a very small cost.

We had some fancy metal S hooks for the curtain and liner but they kept
coming off the hooks. I couldn't see living with this so I bought some
plastic hooks for $1.49 and a new liner for $3.00. What a deal! It was
pretty dangerous having to stand on the toilet seat to install the hooks
and it was a little hard to snap the hooks shut but I survived just
fine. Like I said, "danger" is my middle name.

Your idea of paying someone to do this dirty work is an excellent one.
Having to clean up stuff when you have no talent for it is a real drag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:48:05 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:59:35 -0700, wrote:
>
>>Having lived in New Mexico for many years, before I regrettably had to
>>leave, (involving police, vice squad, ugly story I don't care to
>>relate, sob, sob weeping) and I think I lived there a few years prior
>>to Christine's inhabitance of the Land of Enchantment, I can attest to
>>her comment that tomatillos are not in the green chile sauce, or green
>>chile anything in New Mexico.

>I also lived here from 1983 to 1985.
>
>I had visited my friends here before that..and fell in love with New
>Mexican foods. I was introduced to sopapillas then..and green chile.
>When I moved back here in 2006, it was a re-introduction to the local
>cuisine.
>One thing that people tend to do is lump New Mexican cuisine with the
>other cooking of the Southwest, which is a mistake. New Mexico takes
>great pride in it's love of chiles (spelled with an e) and the dishes
>that are made with them. In other parts of the Southwest, chiles are
>not usually the prime ingredient, hence this discussion on tomatillos
>and green chiles. But here, if you ask for chile verde or green
>chile..you get what you ask for...a sauce made with green chiles. And
>not too much else. Cumin is not used that much here in NM either.
>Other dishes that feature the chile pepper prominently are carne
>adovado, which is pork in red chile sauce, Chiles Rellenos, and
>enchiladas.... All of these don't have fillers like tomatoes,
>tomatillos or anything like that..just mainly the chiles....
>
>New Mexico is a part of the Southwest, but the cooking here is very
>much a regional variation...and different from other southwest states.
>Christine

Umm you are preaching to the choir here. Though I must say very well
put for a "newbie"

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> I had visited my friends here before that..and fell in love with New
> Mexican foods. I was introduced to sopapillas then..and green chile.
> When I moved back here in 2006, it was a re-introduction to the local
> cuisine.
> One thing that people tend to do is lump New Mexican cuisine with the
> other cooking of the Southwest, which is a mistake. New Mexico takes
> great pride in it's love of chiles (spelled with an e) and the dishes
> that are made with them. In other parts of the Southwest, chiles are
> not usually the prime ingredient, hence this discussion on tomatillos
> and green chiles. But here, if you ask for chile verde or green
> chile..you get what you ask for...a sauce made with green chiles. And
> not too much else. Cumin is not used that much here in NM either.
> Other dishes that feature the chile pepper prominently are carne
> adovado, which is pork in red chile sauce, Chiles Rellenos, and
> enchiladas.... All of these don't have fillers like tomatoes,
> tomatillos or anything like that..just mainly the chiles....
>
> New Mexico is a part of the Southwest, but the cooking here is very
> much a regional variation...and different from other southwest states.

Some people *like* other things besides green chiles. Those chile-only
things are just too one-dimensional for me to have more than once a decade.

On a different note, the proliferation of chain restaurants has done a
great deal toward destroying regional cuisines throughout the USA, and
has misinformed millions of people about what "real" food is. Many
people BELIEVE that Outback Steak House represents Australian cuisine,
and that Olive Garden faithfully replicates what you'd eat in Italy. If
you wanted to tell people where they could eat what you think of as
"real" New Mexican food, what specific restaurant would you recommend?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
>> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
>> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
>> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
>> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
>> Mexico or LA!

> I cooked it that way last Friday! I salted it, but didn't consider
> the salting "heavy". When the pork came out of the oven, I pulled it
> into chunks and then browned them in a skillet. We ate our carnitas
> with all the fixings in soft corn tortilla "shells".

What were "the fixings"?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

>>> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
>>> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
>>> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
>>> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
>>> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
>>> Mexico or LA!

>> I cooked it that way last Friday! I salted it, but didn't consider
>> the salting "heavy". When the pork came out of the oven, I pulled it
>> into chunks and then browned them in a skillet. We ate our carnitas
>> with all the fixings in soft corn tortilla "shells".
>>

> Cooking a pork butt this way is too easy. You spend about 10 minutes on
> the thing and set it in the oven - no need to preheat the oven. You
> don't need to use a dutch oven - a regular covered pan works fine. You
> can also use plain water or apple juice instead of chicken stock. I like
> the idea of frying the cooked pork.

Warning: Some people won't like this idea. But try adding some orange
quarters, cinnamon sticks, and a can of sweetened condensed milk, the
way it's done in Mexico. When you fry the pork, the caramelization gives
a fantastic flavor.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2012 6:24 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Warning: Some people won't like this idea. But try adding some orange
> quarters, cinnamon sticks, and a can of sweetened condensed milk, the
> way it's done in Mexico. When you fry the pork, the caramelization gives
> a fantastic flavor.
>
> Bob

Sounds like a heck of a dish. I don't know if I can stomach the
condensed milk though.

It's interesting how pork seems to get the 2 times cooking treatment. I
like to fry pork and chicken adobo before serving and vinho d'alhos is a
favorite dish of mine from the restaurant down the street. It's a
Portuguese vinegar marinated pork dish that's boiled and then fried
crispy. My guess is that the Mexican dish is somehow related to it.