Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Chile Verde

Looking for a good recipe. Thanks!

Carolyn

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Swing Builder" > wrote in message
| Looking for a good recipe. Thanks!
|
| Carolyn

ObRecipe: ERNESTO'S MEXICAN FOOD CHILE VERDE
Source: Ernesto's Mexican Food, Sacramento, California

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds lean pork roast (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
10 green tomatillos
2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons canola oil

METHOD:
Place most of the ingredients in blender (except pork) and puree.
In a small pot, brown cubed pork with three tablespoons of canola oil.
Make sure to brown all sides evenly. This should take about ten minutes.
Remove all excess oil from meat. Stir in pureed ingredients and let
simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Cooking time depends on size of cube and
how
much the meat cooked while browning.
Taste for flavor; for more spiciness, add jalapenos.

or,

Chile Verde con Puerca (Green Chili with Pork) (makes 1
gallon)

Ingredients:
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch chunks
½ cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 lg. onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and minced
2 tbl. ground cumin
1 tbl. dried oregano
1 tbl. dried basil
1 tbl. ground coriander
2 lbs. Fresh Roasted Poblano Chilies -or- 2 lg. cans whole, mild green
chilies, diced
1 ½ lbs. Fresh tomatoes, diced -or- 1 lg. can diced tomatoes
2 quarts chicken stock (preferably homemade)
grated cheese (preferably Queso Blanco) and tortillas
Method:
In a lg. stockpot, heat vegetable oil on med/high heat. Season flour
with salt and pepper. Dredge pork pieces in seasoned flour, shake off
excess. Fry pork pieces on all sides in hot oil until lightly browned.
Drain
on paper towels. Reserve remaining seasoned flour. Add diced onions,
garlic,
jalapenos, cumin, oregano, basil and coriander to hot oil and stir. Turn
heat down to medium low. Cover pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add
green
chilies, tomatoes, chicken stock and pork pieces. Simmer, covered, for 1
hour, stirring occasionally. Chili should be moderately thick. If it is
too
thin, remove some of the juice from the pot to a small bowl and whisk
with
some of the seasoned flour until smooth. Stir this mixture back into
chili
and simmer for 10 minutes. Repeat if necessary. Serve with warm
tortillas
and grated cheese.
Note: Add "salsa picante" tableside to heat it up, if desired

Both originally posted here.

--
Jarhead

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jarhead wrote:
> "Swing Builder" > wrote in message
> | Looking for a good recipe. Thanks!
> |
> | Carolyn
> |

> ObRecipe: ERNESTO'S MEXICAN FOOD CHILE VERDE
> Source: Ernesto's Mexican Food, Sacramento, California
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 2 pounds lean pork roast (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
> 10 green tomatillos
> 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
> 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
> Salt and pepper to taste
> 3 tablespoons canola oil
>
> METHOD:
> Place most of the ingredients in blender (except pork) and puree.
> In a small pot, brown cubed pork with three tablespoons of canola oil.
> Make sure to brown all sides evenly. This should take about ten minutes.
> Remove all excess oil from meat. Stir in pureed ingredients and let
> simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Cooking time depends on size of cube and
> how much the meat cooked while browning.
> Taste for flavor; for more spiciness, add jalapenos.

Four improvements:
1. and this is for sure. DO NOT cook the chopped onions with the rest.
Add them last right before serving.
2. Two tablespoons of jalapenos will make the chile suitable for
children. It needs a lot more than that if you want much heat.
3. Consider setting aside a certain portion before adding the cilantro,
which is also better added right before serving instead of cooked.
Another idea is to put chopped cilantro on the table (ideally leaves
only, no stems) and diners can stir it in to taste. People vary widely
in their appreciation of cilantro.
4. Instead of canola, use lard. I know it's less healthy, but you're
removing the excess fat after browning anyway, and lard browns meat far
better than canola oil. Make sure it's natural lard though, not
hydrogenated lard, which is unhealthy in any quantity.

--

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in news:1140647923.002147.158930
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Jarhead wrote:
>> "Swing Builder" > wrote in message
>> | Looking for a good recipe. Thanks!
>> |
>> | Carolyn
>> |

>> ObRecipe: ERNESTO'S MEXICAN FOOD CHILE VERDE
>> Source: Ernesto's Mexican Food, Sacramento, California
>>
>> INGREDIENTS:
>> 2 pounds lean pork roast (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
>> 10 green tomatillos
>> 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
>> 1 small onion, chopped
>> 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
>> 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
>> Salt and pepper to taste
>> 3 tablespoons canola oil
>>
>> METHOD:
>> Place most of the ingredients in blender (except pork) and puree.
>> In a small pot, brown cubed pork with three tablespoons of canola oil.
>> Make sure to brown all sides evenly. This should take about ten

minutes.
>> Remove all excess oil from meat. Stir in pureed ingredients and let
>> simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Cooking time depends on size of cube and
>> how much the meat cooked while browning.
>> Taste for flavor; for more spiciness, add jalapenos.
>>

> Four improvements:
> 1. and this is for sure. DO NOT cook the chopped onions with the rest.
> Add them last right before serving.
> 2. Two tablespoons of jalapenos will make the chile suitable for
> children. It needs a lot more than that if you want much heat.
> 3. Consider setting aside a certain portion before adding the cilantro,
> which is also better added right before serving instead of cooked.
> Another idea is to put chopped cilantro on the table (ideally leaves
> only, no stems) and diners can stir it in to taste. People vary widely
> in their appreciation of cilantro.
> 4. Instead of canola, use lard. I know it's less healthy, but you're
> removing the excess fat after browning anyway, and lard browns meat far
> better than canola oil. Make sure it's natural lard though, not
> hydrogenated lard, which is unhealthy in any quantity.
>>
>> --
>> Jarhead

> --
>
> --Bryan

It was wrong of you to try to make corrections to this recipe. Are you
an *expert* on Mexican cooking? or self-proclaim to be?

FYI there are many diferent ways to make Chile Verde,what may not be
right for one may be right for another. To each his own. But to correct
someone elses recipe is outright rude.

Luna

Chile verde with nopales ~ Mexican Cooking 1 23-06-2008 04:18 PM
JALEA DE CHILE VERDE Tim Recipes 0 24-07-2005 12:53 PM
Thai Chile Verde or Mexican Gang Ki Wan [email protected] Asian Cooking 5 23-02-2005 10:58 PM
Chile verde question maiggy Mexican Cooking 9 01-10-2003 04:36 PM