Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mock Apple Pie

Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

There aren't apples in Mock Apple Pie.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...pie-53709.aspx

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 5:20*pm, "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> > Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> > kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> > make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> > recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

> There aren't apples in Mock Apple Pie.
>
> http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...pie-53709.aspx
>
> Jinx

Yes, I know. I was curious as to the need to substitute crackers for
apples...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Oct 15, 5:20 pm, "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>> "merryb" > wrote in message

>>> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
>>> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
>>> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
>>> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

>> There aren't apples in Mock Apple Pie.
>>
>> http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...pie-53709.aspx
>>
>> Jinx

> Yes, I know. I was curious as to the need to substitute crackers for
> apples...

Maybe to make an apple pie in March? (fresh apples used to be seasonal)
Besides, Nabisco doesn't make any money if you use dried apples.

We made the mock apple pie once when I was a kid, just to try it out.
It tasted OK, I guess. But green pumpkin slices make a better mock apples.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 5:49*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> merryb wrote:

> >> There aren't apples in Mock Apple Pie.

> >>http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...pie-53709.aspx

> >> Jinx

> > Yes, I know. I was curious as to the need to substitute crackers for
> > apples...

> Maybe to make an apple pie in March? *(fresh apples used to be seasonal)
> Besides, Nabisco doesn't make any money if you use dried apples.
>
> We made the mock apple pie once when I was a kid, just to try it out.
> It tasted OK, I guess. *But green pumpkin slices make a better mock apples.
>
> -Bob

You may be right about the seasonal stuff- I forget that our modern
transportation system makes things a lot easier, not to mention new
varieties, better preservation, etc. That is a great perspective I
really didn't consider...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:10:58 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

Yes, I remember it... I even remember seeing the recipe on the box,
but I've never tasted it. The very thought is absolutely revolting.
And that's all I have to say about the subject.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:26:41 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> Yes, I know. I was curious as to the need to substitute crackers for
> apples...

Sorry, I though I wouldn't say more but I can't believe you asked that
question. The "mock" was Ritz crackers, you didn't know? The need
was that apples were too expensive. It was the Depression Era when it
came about. People couldn't afford food and they used cardboard to
resole their shoes - if they were lucky enough to have any.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2011 2:10 PM, merryb wrote:
> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

I made it once. It tasted like a pie made of soggy, salty, crackers
i.e., horrible. Basically, it's one sick joke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Oct 15, 5:49 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> merryb wrote:

>>> Yes, I know. I was curious as to the need to substitute crackers for
>>> apples...

>> Maybe to make an apple pie in March? (fresh apples used to be
>> seasonal) Besides, Nabisco doesn't make any money if you use dried
>> apples.
>>
>> We made the mock apple pie once when I was a kid, just to try it out.
>> It tasted OK, I guess. But green pumpkin slices make a better mock
>> apples.
>>
>> -Bob

> You may be right about the seasonal stuff- I forget that our modern
> transportation system makes things a lot easier, not to mention new
> varieties, better preservation, etc. That is a great perspective I
> really didn't consider...

People used to store apples for months without refrigeration. Root cellars,
and all that. Apples might get a bit shrivelled, but not rot. And they used
dried apples to make pies, too. At least Laura Ingalls Wilder's Ma did.
(The real one, not the TV one.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2011 2:53 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:10:58 -0700 (PDT), >
> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
>> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
>> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
>> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

> Yes, I remember it... I even remember seeing the recipe on the box,
> but I've never tasted it. The very thought is absolutely revolting.
> And that's all I have to say about the subject.

I remember seeing the recipe on the box of crackers and wondering why
anyone in their right mind would think of eating it.

Though I have never personally used it, I don't remember any point in my
65 years of life on this planet when canned apple pie filling was not
available at the grocery store. Why would anyone eat cracker pie?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 12:57*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:26:41 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I know. I was curious as to the need to substitute crackers for
> > apples...

> Sorry, I though I wouldn't say more but I can't believe you asked that
> question. *The "mock" was Ritz crackers, you didn't know? *The need
> was that apples were too expensive. *It was the Depression Era when it
> came about. *People couldn't afford food and they used cardboard to
> resole their shoes - if they were lucky enough to have any.
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

I'm sure apples would have been cheaper that crackers!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 2:18*am, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 10/15/2011 2:10 PM, merryb wrote:
>
> > Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> > kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> > make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> > recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

> I made it once. It tasted like a pie made of soggy, salty, crackers
> i.e., horrible. Basically, it's one sick joke.

That's what I'm thinking- those sick *******s are probably laughing at
the thought of people actually making it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i have read this thread with interest and a bit of horror, i think the one
reason to make it would be sorta like watching a train wreck, you want to
look away but can't, i simply can NOT imagine how this must taste,... most
things are just more or less interesting to my taste buds but this seems
just so ick, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 10/16/2011 2:53 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:10:58 -0700 (PDT), >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
>>> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
>>> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
>>> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

>> Yes, I remember it... I even remember seeing the recipe on the box,
>> but I've never tasted it. The very thought is absolutely revolting.
>> And that's all I have to say about the subject.
>>

> I remember seeing the recipe on the box of crackers and wondering why
> anyone in their right mind would think of eating it.
>
> Though I have never personally used it, I don't remember any point in my
> 65 years of life on this planet when canned apple pie filling was not
> available at the grocery store. Why would anyone eat cracker pie?
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2011 10:41 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Though I have never personally used it, I don't remember any point in my
> 65 years of life on this planet when canned apple pie filling was not
> available at the grocery store. Why would anyone eat cracker pie?

Evidently, mock apple pie was actually created during the great American
transcontinental migration, when foodstuffs like crackers and other
dried goods were in plentiful supply because they traveled better and
stored longer with less fuss. I don't doubt that the covered wagon and
handcart pioneers of the nineteenth century would have had terrible
difficulty packing and transporting fresh apples, and the opportunity to
pick/forage fresh apples during the journey would have been a rare
treat. Dried apples were probably brought along, but those were likely a
treat too, saved for a special occasion and not an ordinary
get-em-fed-just-to-live-another-day meal.

Yes, I'm sure that throughout most of the 20th canned pie fillings were
available in stores. But that doesn't mean they were affordable.

Further, your sixty five years of life on this planet don't necessarily
include the Depression at this point, do they?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 5:49*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:

> >> Maybe to make an apple pie in March? (fresh apples used to be
> >> seasonal) Besides, Nabisco doesn't make any money if you use dried
> >> apples.

> >> We made the mock apple pie once when I was a kid, just to try it out.
> >> It tasted OK, I guess. But green pumpkin slices make a better mock
> >> apples.

> >> -Bob

> > You may be right about the seasonal stuff- I forget that our modern
> > transportation system makes things a lot easier, not to mention new
> > varieties, better preservation, etc. That is a great perspective I
> > really didn't consider...

> People used to store apples for months without refrigeration. Root cellars,
> and all that. Apples might get a bit shrivelled, but not rot. And they used
> dried apples to make pies, too. At least Laura Ingalls Wilder's Ma did.
> (The real one, not the TV one.)

They used to use dried apples to make dolls, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2011 10:41 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 2:53 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:10:58 -0700 (PDT), >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
>>> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
>>> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
>>> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

>> Yes, I remember it... I even remember seeing the recipe on the box,
>> but I've never tasted it. The very thought is absolutely revolting.
>> And that's all I have to say about the subject.
>>

> I remember seeing the recipe on the box of crackers and wondering why
> anyone in their right mind would think of eating it.
>
> Though I have never personally used it, I don't remember any point in my
> 65 years of life on this planet when canned apple pie filling was not
> available at the grocery store. Why would anyone eat cracker pie?

Here's another source of possibility for ya!

http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/mocaplpi.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 10:40*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> i have read this thread with interest and a bit of horror, i think the one
> reason to make it would be sorta like watching a train wreck, you want to
> look away but can't, i simply can NOT imagine how this must taste,... most
> things are just more or less interesting to my taste buds but this seems
> just so ick, Lee"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>
> eb.com...
>

> > On 10/16/2011 2:53 AM, sf wrote:

> >> Yes, I remember it... I even remember seeing the recipe on the box,
> >> but I've never tasted it. *The very thought is absolutely revolting.
> >> And that's all I have to say about the subject.

> > I remember seeing the recipe on the box of crackers and wondering why
> > anyone in their right mind would think of eating it.

> > Though I have never personally used it, I don't remember any point in my
> > 65 years of life on this planet when canned apple pie filling was not
> > available at the grocery store. Why would anyone eat cracker pie?

> > --
> > Janet Wilder
> > Way-the-heck-south Texas
> > Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

Good- you have the same reaction as I do!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 7:15*am, merryb > wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2:18*am, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > On 10/15/2011 2:10 PM, merryb wrote:

> > > Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> > > kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> > > make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> > > recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

> > I made it once. It tasted like a pie made of soggy, salty, crackers
> > i.e., horrible. Basically, it's one sick joke.

> That's what I'm thinking- those sick *******s are probably laughing at
> the thought of people actually making it...

A pox on thine houses, Ritz crackers!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i am more than familar with both rural and poor, the first thing i learned
to cook was squirrell and dumplings. my grandmother didn't get indoor
plumbing until 1968 but have never heard of either of these pies. but then
things like ritz crackers and potted meat were things that i suspect never
entered either of my grandparents kitchens, i think they would have been
considered luxeries.

what is the recipe for vinagar pie, Lee
"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 16-Oct-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i have read this thread with interest and a bit of horror, i think the
>> one
>>
>> reason to make it would be sorta like watching a train wreck, you want to
>> look away but can't, i simply can NOT imagine how this must taste,...
>> most
>>
>> things are just more or less interesting to my taste buds but this seems
>> just so ick, Lee

> Guess you wouldn't care much for vinegar pie either. 8-)
> Growing up in 1950s rural western-Kentucky I have eaten both and, at the
> time, they were a real treat.
>
> These are foods for people without much money and little access to fresh
> produce. America once had a large rural population that saw a trip to
> town
> as a special occasion and the "produce section" was a small plot of land
> "out back of the house" or the root cellar. You had apples every
> imaginable way (baked, fried, stewed, etc) when they were in season, you
> canned like mad at the end of the season and then tried to make the
> "canned"
> goods last through the winter. Most likely, you only had one or two apple
> trees and they weren't necessarily the best apples for making pies; they
> might have been best for eating out of hand or maybe making cider. They
> made a pie that wasn't anything like you get frozen from Mrs. Smith in
> today's supermarkets.
>
> Oddities, such as mock apple or vinegar pie, are for the dead of winter
> when
> all the produce from the garden (fresh and canned) is long gone and the
> grocery store is a "general store" in the middle of nowhere. "Fresh meat"
> is the 'possum or squirrel you shot this morning and store-bought meat is
> vienna sausages, potted meat, deviled ham, balogna or similar. Oh, and
> seafood is sardines, which come in varieties such as sardines in mustard
> sauce, sardines in tomato sauce or packed in oil.
>
> When you haven't had a slice of pie for a couple of months and you've
> grown
> tired of biscuits and molasses as your "sweet", a mock apple pie can be
> mighty fine; sure, there's no apple flavor (unless there was still a
> little
> cider left in the cellar). In the hands of someone who has made mock
> apple
> pie every winter for many years, the crackers do a fair job of emulating
> baked apple bits and the cinnamon and sugar flavor is delightful.
> --
>
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Oct 16, 7:15 am, merryb > wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2:18 am, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > On 10/15/2011 2:10 PM, merryb wrote:

> > > Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> > > kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> > > make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> > > recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

> > I made it once. It tasted like a pie made of soggy, salty, crackers
> > i.e., horrible. Basically, it's one sick joke.

> That's what I'm thinking- those sick *******s are probably laughing at
> the thought of people actually making it...

A pox on thine houses, Ritz crackers!

================

Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:

Mock Oyster Eggplant

2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
Butter
Salt and Pepper

Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces, add
salt and pepper to taste.
Put egg plant in 2 qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
thorougly with the eggplant.
Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not covering
mixture. Dot with butter and bake
in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i guess i missed this as my grandmother had apples during the winter in the
celler, also as i said saltines or rits were not in their kitchens until i
was a teenager... but then my mother was married a year and had her first
child before she ever saw spaghetti, my father's mother bought it special
because her oldest daughter's husband was italian and she wanted to make him
feel at home, my mom had no idea what it was or how to even eat it, Lee
"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 16-Oct-2011, merryb > wrote:
>
>> On Oct 16, 12:57 am, sf > wrote:

>> > Sorry, I though I wouldn't say more but I can't believe you asked that
>> > question. The "mock" was Ritz crackers, you didn't know? The need
>> > was that apples were too expensive. It was the Depression Era when it
>> > came about. People couldn't afford food and they used cardboard to
>> > resole their shoes - if they were lucky enough to have any.
>> >
>> > --
>> > All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

>> I'm sure apples would have been cheaper that crackers!

> Perhaps they were in SF and other big cities; but, not in 1950s Alzey
> Kentucky (population 4 in winter, 8 on summer weekends), except at peak
> apple season. The rest of the year, you'd have to drive 20-30 miles to
> find
> apples, while Ritz (or Sunshine Hi-Ho) crackers were readily available on
> the shelves of the Alzey General Store (conveniently located on SR 136 at
> Coon Country Lane). Since that general store was also the only place to
> buy
> gas, you'd have to stop there anyway. Oh, and the old man who ran the
> place
> would give you credit until you could sell your next crop; in the big
> city,
> they wanted cash from the small stash you had to get you through the
> winter.
>
> Alzey was a real place and there were thousands of little places like it
> around the country back-in-the-day. Folks under 50 or who never lived
> "in
> the sticks" can't appreciate how difficult it was to get things that are
> taken for granted today, even for those who could afford them.
>
> Finally, Ritz crackers were culinary gold in that time and place; a small
> indulgence that almost all could afford. Crushed, they were like icing
> on
> the cake when making macaroni and cheese (the real thing, not from box) or
> any other casserole. Sure they weren't your everyday cracker, that was
> saltines; but, sometimes you just needed to "kick it up a knotch".
> --
>
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

interesting, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Oct 16, 7:15 am, merryb > wrote:

>> > I made it once. It tasted like a pie made of soggy, salty, crackers
>> > i.e., horrible. Basically, it's one sick joke.

>> That's what I'm thinking- those sick *******s are probably laughing at
>> the thought of people actually making it...

> A pox on thine houses, Ritz crackers!
>
> ================
>
> Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:
>
> Mock Oyster Eggplant
>
> 2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
> 8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
> 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
> Butter
> Salt and Pepper
>
> Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces,
> add salt and pepper to taste.
> Put egg plant in 2 qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
> thorougly with the eggplant.
> Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not
> covering mixture. Dot with butter and bake
> in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ================
>
> Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:
>
> Mock Oyster Eggplant
>
> 2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
> 8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
> 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
> Butter
> Salt and Pepper
>
> Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces,
> add salt and pepper to taste.
> Put egg plant in 2 qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
> thorougly with the eggplant.
> Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not
> covering mixture. Dot with butter and bake
> in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

and this tastes or feels like oysters - how? Sounds ridiculous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I, not -l wrote:

>When you haven't had a slice of pie for a
> couple of months and you've grown tired
> of biscuits and molasses as your
> "sweet", a mock apple pie can be mighty
> fine; sure, there's no apple flavor
> (unless there was still a little cider left in
> the cellar). In the hands of someone
> who has made mock apple pie every
> winter for many years, the crackers do a
> fair job of emulating baked apple bits
> and the cinnamon and sugar flavor is
> delightful.

Very true. I remember trying the mock apple pie when it first appeared
on the Ritz Cracker box. My sister in law's were making them, and must
say, I was very reluctant, but I love to experiment with cooking/baking,
and really we didn't think they were really too bad, and as you said,
with the spice and sugar, and a good imagination, you could almost
forget you were eating "cracker pie" instead of "apple pie". :-) It was
sort of a novelty at the time, I guess, as haven't made one in years.

I must say I've never had vinegar pie....hmmmm, not sure about that? but
I've made Oatmeal Pie and it's very good! I've made cake out of lima
beans, that was quite good and Bread Salad, which was sort of like a
imitation potato salad, and I've even made Popcorn Salad, that is tasty.
As I said, I'll try anything once!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 10:56*am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> On Oct 16, 7:15 am, merryb > wrote:

> > > I made it once. It tasted like a pie made of soggy, salty, crackers
> > > i.e., horrible. Basically, it's one sick joke.

> > That's what I'm thinking- those sick *******s are probably laughing at
> > the thought of people actually making it...

> A pox on thine houses, Ritz crackers!
>
> ================
>
> Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:
>
> Mock Oyster Eggplant
>
> 2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
> 8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
> 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
> Butter
> Salt and Pepper
>
> Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces, add
> salt and pepper to taste.
> Put egg plant in 2 *qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
> thorougly with the eggplant.
> Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not covering
> mixture. Dot with butter and bake
> in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

I guess that calling it oyster makes it a little less repulsive. :-)

OTOH, I like fried eggplant just fine. Just a little bit though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i mostly will try anything once, the idea of oatmeal pie is actually
interesting, but i had a pretty negative reaction to this one, last time i
had such a negative reaction to something was when i watched justin wilson
make potatoe salad from french fries, so i could still see then so it was
early eighties, Lee
"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I, not -l wrote:
>
>>When you haven't had a slice of pie for a
>> couple of months and you've grown tired
>> of biscuits and molasses as your
>> "sweet", a mock apple pie can be mighty
>> fine; sure, there's no apple flavor
>> (unless there was still a little cider left in
>> the cellar). In the hands of someone
>> who has made mock apple pie every
>> winter for many years, the crackers do a
>> fair job of emulating baked apple bits
>> and the cinnamon and sugar flavor is
>> delightful.

> Very true. I remember trying the mock apple pie when it first appeared
> on the Ritz Cracker box. My sister in law's were making them, and must
> say, I was very reluctant, but I love to experiment with cooking/baking,
> and really we didn't think they were really too bad, and as you said,
> with the spice and sugar, and a good imagination, you could almost
> forget you were eating "cracker pie" instead of "apple pie". :-) It was
> sort of a novelty at the time, I guess, as haven't made one in years.
>
> I must say I've never had vinegar pie....hmmmm, not sure about that? but
> I've made Oatmeal Pie and it's very good! I've made cake out of lima
> beans, that was quite good and Bread Salad, which was sort of like a
> imitation potato salad, and I've even made Popcorn Salad, that is tasty.
> As I said, I'll try anything once!
>
> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

>> ================
>>
>> Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:
>>
>> Mock Oyster Eggplant
>>
>> 2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
>> 8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
>> 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
>> Butter
>> Salt and Pepper
>>
>> Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces,
>> add salt and pepper to taste.
>> Put egg plant in 2 qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
>> thorougly with the eggplant.
>> Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not
>> covering mixture. Dot with butter and bake
>> in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

> and this tastes or feels like oysters - how? Sounds ridiculous.

It doesn't really taste like oysters, looks like oysters, and I didn't name
it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Oct 16, 10:56 am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> On Oct 16, 7:15 am, merryb > wrote:

> > > I made it once. It tasted like a pie made of soggy, salty, crackers
> > > i.e., horrible. Basically, it's one sick joke.

> > That's what I'm thinking- those sick *******s are probably laughing at
> > the thought of people actually making it...

> A pox on thine houses, Ritz crackers!
>
> ================
>
> Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:
>
> Mock Oyster Eggplant
>
> 2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
> 8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
> 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
> Butter
> Salt and Pepper
>
> Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces,
> add
> salt and pepper to taste.
> Put egg plant in 2 qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
> thorougly with the eggplant.
> Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not
> covering
> mixture. Dot with butter and bake
> in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

I guess that calling it oyster makes it a little less repulsive. :-)

OTOH, I like fried eggplant just fine. Just a little bit though.

=========

Yes, eggplant is something that you either like a lot or just a little.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 1:12*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 16-Oct-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
> > i have read this thread with interest and a bit of horror, i think the one

> > reason to make it would be sorta like watching a train wreck, you want to
> > look away but can't, i simply can NOT imagine how this must taste,... most

> > things are just more or less interesting to my taste buds but this seems
> > just so ick, Lee

> Guess you wouldn't care much for vinegar pie either. *8-)
> Growing up in 1950s rural western-Kentucky I have eaten both and, at the
> time, they were a real treat.
>
> These are foods for people without much money and little access to fresh
> produce. *America once had a large rural population that saw a trip to town
> as a special occasion and the "produce section" was a small plot of land
> "out back of the house" or the root cellar. * You had apples every
> imaginable way (baked, fried, stewed, etc) when they were in season, you
> canned like mad at the end of the season and then tried to make the "canned"
> goods last through the winter. *Most likely, you only had one or two apple
> trees and they weren't necessarily the best apples for making pies; they
> might have been best for eating out of hand or maybe making cider. *They
> made a pie that wasn't anything like you get frozen from Mrs. Smith in
> today's supermarkets.
>
> Oddities, such as mock apple or vinegar pie, are for the dead of winter when
> all the produce from the garden (fresh and canned) is long gone and the
> grocery store is a "general store" in the middle of nowhere. *"Fresh meat"
> is the 'possum or squirrel you shot this morning and store-bought meat is
> vienna sausages, potted meat, deviled ham, balogna or similar. *Oh, and
> seafood is sardines, which come in varieties such as sardines in mustard
> sauce, sardines in tomato sauce or packed in oil.
>
> When you haven't had a slice of pie for a couple of months and you've grown
> tired of biscuits and molasses as your "sweet", a mock apple pie can be
> mighty fine; sure, there's no apple flavor (unless there was still a little
> cider left in the cellar). *In the hands of someone who has made mock apple
> pie every winter for many years, the crackers do a fair job of emulating
> baked apple bits and the cinnamon and sugar flavor is delightful.
> --
>
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Thank you for your perspective on this!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
>>
>>> ================
>>>
>>> Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:
>>>
>>> Mock Oyster Eggplant
>>>
>>> 2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
>>> 8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
>>> 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
>>> Butter
>>> Salt and Pepper
>>>
>>> Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces,
>>> add salt and pepper to taste.
>>> Put egg plant in 2 qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
>>> thorougly with the eggplant.
>>> Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not
>>> covering mixture. Dot with butter and bake
>>> in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

>> and this tastes or feels like oysters - how? Sounds ridiculous.

> It doesn't really taste like oysters, looks like oysters, and I didn't
> name it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

I'm knocking the name. It may taste just fine. why not call it Eggplant
something or other? I personally wouldn't post anything with such a name.
If I couldn't find a recipe that is similar with a real name, I'd rename it
myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i am not a huge fan of oysterx but i am of eggplant so we will try it next
time i know i can be at home for a few days, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
>>
>>> ================
>>>
>>> Speaking of Ritz Crackers this is really good:
>>>
>>> Mock Oyster Eggplant
>>>
>>> 2 1/2 to 3 Lbs Eggplant
>>> 8 Oz pkg Ritz Crackers
>>> 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
>>> Butter
>>> Salt and Pepper
>>>
>>> Parboil eggplant until tender. Remove skin. Cut pulp into small pieces,
>>> add salt and pepper to taste.
>>> Put egg plant in 2 qt shallow baking pan. Crumble Ritz crackers and mix
>>> thorougly with the eggplant.
>>> Add enough milk to moisten well, or until milk is visible, but not
>>> covering mixture. Dot with butter and bake
>>> in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Simple, good, and different.

>> and this tastes or feels like oysters - how? Sounds ridiculous.

> It doesn't really taste like oysters, looks like oysters, and I didn't
> name it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
>
> Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

Here's a story in the Seattle Times about it:
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...web24mockpie.h
tml>
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

>>> and this tastes or feels like oysters - how? Sounds ridiculous.

>> It doesn't really taste like oysters, looks like oysters, and I didn't
>> name it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

> I'm knocking the name. It may taste just fine. why not call it Eggplant
> something or other? I personally wouldn't post anything with such a name.
> If I couldn't find a recipe that is similar with a real name, I'd rename
> it myself.

I don't know why they called it that, it's a really old recipe and I'm not
changing the name. I like it just the way it is, so there you have it. YMMV

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 16-Oct-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i have read this thread with interest and a bit of horror, i think the
>> one
>>
>> reason to make it would be sorta like watching a train wreck, you want to
>> look away but can't, i simply can NOT imagine how this must taste,...
>> most
>>
>> things are just more or less interesting to my taste buds but this seems
>> just so ick, Lee

> Guess you wouldn't care much for vinegar pie either. 8-)
> Growing up in 1950s rural western-Kentucky I have eaten both and, at the
> time, they were a real treat.
>
> These are foods for people without much money and little access to fresh
> produce. America once had a large rural population that saw a trip to
> town
> as a special occasion and the "produce section" was a small plot of land
> "out back of the house" or the root cellar. You had apples every
> imaginable way (baked, fried, stewed, etc) when they were in season, you
> canned like mad at the end of the season and then tried to make the
> "canned"
> goods last through the winter. Most likely, you only had one or two apple
> trees and they weren't necessarily the best apples for making pies; they
> might have been best for eating out of hand or maybe making cider. They
> made a pie that wasn't anything like you get frozen from Mrs. Smith in
> today's supermarkets.
>
> Oddities, such as mock apple or vinegar pie, are for the dead of winter
> when
> all the produce from the garden (fresh and canned) is long gone and the
> grocery store is a "general store" in the middle of nowhere.

from http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/mocaplpi.html

that recipe -- or one very much like it -- was invented around 1852 by a
group of pioneer women for their children who missed the apple pie they'd
had "back east." In Helen Evans Brown's West Coast Cookbook, she quotes
Mrs. B. C. Whiting's How We Cook In Los Angeles (1894), "The deception was
most complete and readily accepted. Apples at this early date were a dollar
a pound, and we young people all craved a piece of Mother's apple pie to
appease our homesick feelings." The recipe was referred to as "California
Pioneer Apple Pie, 1852", and the crackers used at that time were "soda
crackers" which were mixed with brown sugar, water and citrus acid and
cinnamon.

After Ritz crackers were created in the early 1930's a recipe for Mock Apple
Pie began appearing on the box. Apples were once again expensive and
homemakers in those years were once again able to use crackers in order to
give their children a taste of apple pie.

ok, well that finally explains those silly Ritz boxes, but why is this
recipe STILL around?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2011 12:42 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 10:41 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> Though I have never personally used it, I don't remember any point in my
>> 65 years of life on this planet when canned apple pie filling was not
>> available at the grocery store. Why would anyone eat cracker pie?
>>

> Evidently, mock apple pie was actually created during the great American
> transcontinental migration, when foodstuffs like crackers and other
> dried goods were in plentiful supply because they traveled better and
> stored longer with less fuss. I don't doubt that the covered wagon and
> handcart pioneers of the nineteenth century would have had terrible
> difficulty packing and transporting fresh apples, and the opportunity to
> pick/forage fresh apples during the journey would have been a rare
> treat. Dried apples were probably brought along, but those were likely a
> treat too, saved for a special occasion and not an ordinary
> get-em-fed-just-to-live-another-day meal.

So you are saying there were Ritz crackers in the middle 1800's? From
what I have learned of the wagon trains of that era, it was hard enough
to bake a loaf of bread, no less a pie! I think those pioneers subsisted
on what their men could hunt, their women could forage and whatever
dried foodstuffs they could bring with them. If you had a recipe for
mock apple pie made with dried beans, I'd be more inclined to believe
it. :-)

> Yes, I'm sure that throughout most of the 20th canned pie fillings were
> available in stores. But that doesn't mean they were affordable.
>
> Further, your sixty five years of life on this planet don't necessarily
> include the Depression at this point, do they?

Nope. I'm of the first class of baby boomers, 1946. My mom and dad were
depression babies. Neither of their families could have afforded
store-bought crackers.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i suppose he might have a gripe if he were being forced to eat it,
otherwise its just something to complain about, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

>>> It doesn't really taste like oysters, looks like oysters, and I didn't
>>> name it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

>> I'm knocking the name. It may taste just fine. why not call it Eggplant
>> something or other? I personally wouldn't post anything with such a
>> name. If I couldn't find a recipe that is similar with a real name, I'd
>> rename it myself.

> I don't know why they called it that, it's a really old recipe and I'm not
> changing the name. I like it just the way it is, so there you have it.
> YMMV
>
> Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i have had a similar tomato pie, but have never seen the other recipe, i
think it is worthy of a try, thanks, Lee
"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 16-Oct-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> what is the recipe for vinagar pie, Lee

> Here it is, along with another that's a little different than you'll find
> at
> the local pie shop.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Vinegar Pie
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Dessert

> 1 cup sugar
> 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
> 1 cup cold water
> 5 tablespoons vinegar
> 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
> 4 each large eggs -- beaten
>
> Combine sugar and flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and place in a
> saucepan. Cook until thick and pour into prepared pie crust. Bake in a 375
> degrees F. oven until crust is brown.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Green Tomato Pie
>
> Recipe By :Elizabeth Powell
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00
> Categories : Desserts Pies & Pastry

> 1 batch pie pastry -- see recipe
> 3 tablespoons flour
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 3 large green tomatoes -- sliced
> 1/2 whole lemon -- seeded, thin sliced
> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter -- cut into bits
>
> Roll out half of dough and line a 9" pie plate with it. Mix 1
> tablespoon of flour with 1/2 cup of sugar and sprinkle over bottom of
> crust. Layer tomatoes and lemon. Combine remaining sugar, salt, and
> flour. Sprinkle over tomatoes and dot with butter. Roll out remaining
> dough and cover tomatoes with it. Make slits in top to allow steam to
> escape. Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce heat to 350 and
> make
> 30 minutes more.
>
> --
>
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

but on the other hand, apples was something my grandmother always canned,
sauced jellied nd butterred no matter how many were left from last year or
how many came on the trees... when she really got too many then some was
given as christmas gifts, one of the best gifts in the world was her dark
apple butter, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 10/16/2011 12:42 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
>> On 10/16/2011 10:41 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> Though I have never personally used it, I don't remember any point in my
>>> 65 years of life on this planet when canned apple pie filling was not
>>> available at the grocery store. Why would anyone eat cracker pie?
>>>

>> Evidently, mock apple pie was actually created during the great American
>> transcontinental migration, when foodstuffs like crackers and other
>> dried goods were in plentiful supply because they traveled better and
>> stored longer with less fuss. I don't doubt that the covered wagon and
>> handcart pioneers of the nineteenth century would have had terrible
>> difficulty packing and transporting fresh apples, and the opportunity to
>> pick/forage fresh apples during the journey would have been a rare
>> treat. Dried apples were probably brought along, but those were likely a
>> treat too, saved for a special occasion and not an ordinary
>> get-em-fed-just-to-live-another-day meal.

> So you are saying there were Ritz crackers in the middle 1800's? From what
> I have learned of the wagon trains of that era, it was hard enough to bake
> a loaf of bread, no less a pie! I think those pioneers subsisted on what
> their men could hunt, their women could forage and whatever dried
> foodstuffs they could bring with them. If you had a recipe for mock apple
> pie made with dried beans, I'd be more inclined to believe it. :-)
>
>> Yes, I'm sure that throughout most of the 20th canned pie fillings were
>> available in stores. But that doesn't mean they were affordable.
>>
>> Further, your sixty five years of life on this planet don't necessarily
>> include the Depression at this point, do they?
>>

> Nope. I'm of the first class of baby boomers, 1946. My mom and dad were
> depression babies. Neither of their families could have afforded
> store-bought crackers.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i suppose he might have a gripe if he were being forced to eat it,
>otherwise its just something to complain about, Lee

good point. But I am complaining as I would complain about any other false
advertising.

you'all can eat it all you want.

Actually, if this had a realistic, descriptive title, I might go for it.
Ingredients sound good, but I wonder if it would be better with French bread
instead of those crackers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:10:58 PM UTC-4, merryb wrote:
> Does anyone remember this? It was a recipe on Ritz cracker's box. As a
> kid, I thought it sounded horrible, and it still does. Did anyone ever
> make this, and if so, how was it? I am assuming it is a Depression era
> recipe, but apples are cheap if not free...

I would not bitch about a recipe that I have NEVER made.

Step up to the plate...make the recipe as written and then you will be able to make a serious and contentious comment.