Posted to rec.food.cooking
Judy Haffner Judy Haffner is offline

Default Mock Apple Pie

I, not -l wrote:

>When you haven't had a slice of pie for a
> couple of months and you've grown tired
> of biscuits and molasses as your
> "sweet", a mock apple pie can be mighty
> fine; sure, there's no apple flavor
> (unless there was still a little cider left in
> the cellar). In the hands of someone
> who has made mock apple pie every
> winter for many years, the crackers do a
> fair job of emulating baked apple bits
> and the cinnamon and sugar flavor is
> delightful.

Very true. I remember trying the mock apple pie when it first appeared
on the Ritz Cracker box. My sister in law's were making them, and must
say, I was very reluctant, but I love to experiment with cooking/baking,
and really we didn't think they were really too bad, and as you said,
with the spice and sugar, and a good imagination, you could almost
forget you were eating "cracker pie" instead of "apple pie". :-) It was
sort of a novelty at the time, I guess, as haven't made one in years.

I must say I've never had vinegar pie....hmmmm, not sure about that? but
I've made Oatmeal Pie and it's very good! I've made cake out of lima
beans, that was quite good and Bread Salad, which was sort of like a
imitation potato salad, and I've even made Popcorn Salad, that is tasty.
As I said, I'll try anything once!

Judy