Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Paleo/GAPS/Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet Suggestions?

Julie Bove wrote:

My daughter likes Teff wraps.

Teff has gluten in it, it turns out; although some celiac persons
consume it, if the issue is allergies rather than celiac then you do
not want it.

Steve

Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

My daughter likes Teff wraps.

Teff has gluten in it, it turns out; although some celiac persons
consume it, if the issue is allergies rather than celiac then you do
not want it.

The package says gluten free. Let me look it up.

This is what she eats although I don't buy them here.

http://www.glutenfree.com/index.cfm/...eff-Wraps.html

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a cite that
says otherwise?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

[teff]

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a
cite that says otherwise?

Yes, the Wikipedia article on Teff, which itself has a cite.

Steve
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

[teff]

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a
cite that says otherwise?

Yes, the Wikipedia article on Teff, which itself has a cite.

Actually it says the opposite.

The link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff

The quote:

" The grain can be used by celiacs (the gluten in teff does not contain the
a-gliadin-fraction that causes celiac disease) and has a high concentration
of different nutrients, a very high calcium content, and significant levels
of the minerals phosphorus, magnesium, aluminum, iron, copper, zinc, boron,
barium, and thiamin.[6] "

Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" ha scritto nel messaggio
"Steve Pope" wrote in message

[teff]

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a
cite that says otherwise?

Yes, the Wikipedia article on Teff, which itself has a cite.

Actually it says the opposite.

The link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff

The quote:

" The grain can be used by celiacs (the gluten in teff does not contain
the a-gliadin-fraction that causes celiac disease) and has a high
concentration of different nutrients, a very high calcium content, and
significant levels of the minerals phosphorus, magnesium, aluminum, iron,
copper, zinc, boron, barium, and thiamin.[6] "

That's not the opposite. It says it has gluten but not the one that bothers
celiacs. Do you think all gluten intolerant people are celiacs? They
aren't.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" ha scritto nel messaggio
"Steve Pope" wrote in message

[teff]

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a
cite that says otherwise?

Yes, the Wikipedia article on Teff, which itself has a cite.

Actually it says the opposite.

The link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff

The quote:

" The grain can be used by celiacs (the gluten in teff does not contain
the a-gliadin-fraction that causes celiac disease) and has a high
concentration of different nutrients, a very high calcium content, and
significant levels of the minerals phosphorus, magnesium, aluminum, iron,
copper, zinc, boron, barium, and thiamin.[6] "

That's not the opposite. It says it has gluten but not the one that
bothers celiacs. Do you think all gluten intolerant people are celiacs?
They aren't.

I didn't say that at all! My daughter used to have a gluten allergy. Has
since outgrown that but still has a wheat allergy.

Plenty of foods contain gluten but it is not the sort of gluten one must
avoid with a gluten issue. Corn for instance. The link says it is *not*
that kind of gluten. So it is gluten free. The person who said it wasn't
is wrong.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Julie Bove wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

[teff]

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a
cite that says otherwise?

Yes, the Wikipedia article on Teff, which itself has a cite.

Actually it says the opposite.

The link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff

The quote:

" The grain can be used by celiacs (the gluten in teff does not contain the
a-gliadin-fraction that causes celiac disease)

Right. Please go back to the part of my post you did not quote; I said
that Teff has gluten but that celiacs eat it, but if you have
a gluten allergy it will be a problem.

Ranee did not state whether the elimination diet is intended to
screen for celiac as opposed to allergy.

Steve
Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

[teff]

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a
cite that says otherwise?

Yes, the Wikipedia article on Teff, which itself has a cite.

Actually it says the opposite.

The link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff

The quote:

" The grain can be used by celiacs (the gluten in teff does not contain
the
a-gliadin-fraction that causes celiac disease)

Right. Please go back to the part of my post you did not quote; I said
that Teff has gluten but that celiacs eat it, but if you have
a gluten allergy it will be a problem.

Ranee did not state whether the elimination diet is intended to
screen for celiac as opposed to allergy.

I just read that over again. I do not see that part. And that just makes
no sense. If you have a gluten allergy you must avoid the same type of
gluten that celiacs do. Not *all* gluten. Sheesh.

Please quote that part for me so I can see it. Because I don't.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

If you have a gluten allergy you must avoid the same type of
gluten that celiacs do.

Why?

A person can potentially have an allergy to any protein. Whereas
only certain subtypes of gluten protein cause celiac, which is not an
allergy. So one would expect that more subtypes of gluten protein
are potential allergens, beyond those that are responsible for celiac.

I'm not saying your statement is definitely untrue, but I don't know
why it would be definitely true.

Steve
Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

[teff]

Everything I have seen indicates it is in fact GF. Do you have a
cite that says otherwise?

Yes, the Wikipedia article on Teff, which itself has a cite.

Actually it says the opposite.

The link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff

The quote:

" The grain can be used by celiacs (the gluten in teff does not contain
the
a-gliadin-fraction that causes celiac disease)

Right. Please go back to the part of my post you did not quote; I said
that Teff has gluten but that celiacs eat it, but if you have
a gluten allergy it will be a problem.

Ranee did not state whether the elimination diet is intended to
screen for celiac as opposed to allergy.

Steve

There are different types of gluten. Read about it he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

A person with a gluten issue (whatever that may be) needs only to avoid the
true gluten.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

If you have a gluten allergy you must avoid the same type of
gluten that celiacs do.

Why?

A person can potentially have an allergy to any protein. Whereas
only certain subtypes of gluten protein cause celiac, which is not an
allergy. So one would expect that more subtypes of gluten protein
are potential allergens, beyond those that are responsible for celiac.

I'm not saying your statement is definitely untrue, but I don't know
why it would be definitely true.

Well I'm not a Dr. or scientist. I just know when my daughter had the
gluten allergy the Dr. told me the form of gluten she must avoid is the one
in wheat, barley and the other stuff a celiac must avoid. Not the gluten in
corn or rice. Yes, people can be allergic to corn or rice. But then it is
called a corn or rice allergy. Not a gluten allergy.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

There are different types of gluten. Read about it he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

Right

A person with a gluten issue (whatever that may be) needs only to avoid the
true gluten.

You keep saying this, but I am not sure why.

Steve
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

If you have a gluten allergy you must avoid the same type of
gluten that celiacs do.

Why?

A person can potentially have an allergy to any protein. Whereas
only certain subtypes of gluten protein cause celiac, which is not an
allergy. So one would expect that more subtypes of gluten protein
are potential allergens, beyond those that are responsible for celiac.

I'm not saying your statement is definitely untrue, but I don't know
why it would be definitely true.

Well I'm not a Dr. or scientist. I just know when my daughter had the
gluten allergy the Dr. told me the form of gluten she must avoid is the one
in wheat, barley and the other stuff a celiac must avoid. Not the gluten in
corn or rice. Yes, people can be allergic to corn or rice. But then it is
called a corn or rice allergy. Not a gluten allergy.

Well, I had been talking about teff gluten, not corn or rice.

In any case, we don't know what Ranee's goal is in her elimination
diet. So far as we know it has nothing to do with the doctor's assessment
of your daughter's situation.

Steve

Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

Do you have an issue with gluten? If not then please stop talking about
something you know nothing about.

And you are claiming that people with gluten issues (aside from celiac) can
not eat teff but you can not prove that.

At any rate after looking up the Paleo diet it's all a moot point because I
don't think any grains or carby foods are allowed.