Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Paleo/GAPS/Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet Suggestions?

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>> If you have a gluten allergy you must avoid the same type of
>> gluten that celiacs do.

> Why?
>
> A person can potentially have an allergy to any protein. Whereas
> only certain subtypes of gluten protein cause celiac, which is not an
> allergy. So one would expect that more subtypes of gluten protein
> are potential allergens, beyond those that are responsible for celiac.
>
> I'm not saying your statement is definitely untrue, but I don't know
> why it would be definitely true.

Well I'm not a Dr. or scientist. I just know when my daughter had the
gluten allergy the Dr. told me the form of gluten she must avoid is the one
in wheat, barley and the other stuff a celiac must avoid. Not the gluten in
corn or rice. Yes, people can be allergic to corn or rice. But then it is
called a corn or rice allergy. Not a gluten allergy.