Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default refried beans

Are these beans left over from baked beans?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:42:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Are these beans left over from baked beans?
>
> --

Yuck. NO! They usually begin as pinto beans.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+beans+recipe

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:42:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Are these beans left over from baked beans?
>>
>> --

> Yuck. NO! They usually begin as pinto beans.
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+beans+recipe

Ok, thanks.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-30, Ophelia > wrote:
> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

Like sf sez, they're basically pinto beans and rendered pig fat. Ya
cook the beans, then add lard, bacon fat, etc, while mashing and
reheating (refried) in a skillet or pot. I've seen taqueria's use a
big ol' Robot Coupe stick blender to mash. Try different fats for
different flavors. I've seen some recipes call for half lard and half
rendered beef suet. I always include some bacon fat for the flavor.
Most Mexican carniceria's (meat mkt) sell rendered lard from when they
make chicarones (pork cracklins). Better than using packaged lard,
which is hydrogenated.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-04-30, Ophelia > wrote:
>> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

> Like sf sez, they're basically pinto beans and rendered pig fat. Ya
> cook the beans, then add lard, bacon fat, etc, while mashing and
> reheating (refried) in a skillet or pot. I've seen taqueria's use a
> big ol' Robot Coupe stick blender to mash. Try different fats for
> different flavors. I've seen some recipes call for half lard and half
> rendered beef suet. I always include some bacon fat for the flavor.
> Most Mexican carniceria's (meat mkt) sell rendered lard from when they
> make chicarones (pork cracklins). Better than using packaged lard,
> which is hydrogenated.

I am new to bean cookery. I was just asking...
What is the difference between pinto beans and others?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:42:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Are these beans left over from baked beans?
> >>
> >> --

> > Yuck. NO! They usually begin as pinto beans.
> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+beans+recipe

> Ok, thanks.

There is some controversy about "refried" beans. Some people claim that
"refried" is a poor translation of "refritos", which means something
more like "well fried". In any case, cook up some beans. Usually,
people add pork fat. Oftentimes in the US they are mashed. I don't
know why. I stopped eating baby food 60 years ago and would rather that
people left my food whole until such point as I can't eat it that way
any more!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Yuck. NO! They usually begin as pinto beans.
>> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+beans+recipe

>> Ok, thanks.

> There is some controversy about "refried" beans. Some people claim that
> "refried" is a poor translation of "refritos", which means something
> more like "well fried". In any case, cook up some beans. Usually,
> people add pork fat. Oftentimes in the US they are mashed. I don't
> know why. I stopped eating baby food 60 years ago and would rather that
> people left my food whole until such point as I can't eat it that way
> any more!

Thanks, Dan! So, what you are saying is that I can use the leftover beans I
made, and fry them up in pork fat?

That sounds logical to me.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
b.com...

> On 30-Apr-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> I am new to bean cookery. I was just asking...
>> What is the difference between pinto beans and others?
>> --
>> --

> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
> other bean.

lol how different do they taste?

--

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote

>>> I am new to bean cookery. I was just asking...
>>> What is the difference between pinto beans and others?

>> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
>> other bean.

> lol how different do they taste?

About like the difference between beef and pork! (grin).

Seriously, for a bean afficianado there's a big difference but for basic
consumption they come in sets of comon flavor relations.

Pinto/dark red kidney shaped beans
Red/pink beans
white beans (many names and types, navy beans is a common one)
Black eyed peas
Black beans
Aduki sweet beans

Read the list and they are in order of relative flavor so that the pinto's
nearest flavor match is the red/pink which in turn next matches closest to
the white navy and so on down. The aduki don't totally fit nor would mung
beans as they have more to do with the traditional fixing methods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote

>>> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
>>> other bean.

>> lol how different do they taste?

> About like the difference between beef and pork! (grin).

Ahhhhh)

> Seriously, for a bean afficianado there's a big difference but for basic
> consumption they come in sets of comon flavor relations.

OK, but not being a bean afficianado..... I cooked my first been
dish (ever) yesterday... so please bear with me, but we loved them and so I
am very willing to learn Anything you can teach me will be very welcome.

> Pinto/dark red kidney shaped beans
> Red/pink beans
> white beans (many names and types, navy beans is a common one)
> Black eyed peas
> Black beans
> Aduki sweet beans
>
> Read the list and they are in order of relative flavor so that the pinto's
> nearest flavor match is the red/pink which in turn next matches closest to
> the white navy and so on down. The aduki don't totally fit nor would mung
> beans as they have more to do with the traditional fixing methods.

Thank you I shall keep a note and learn about them!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+beans+recipe

> >> Ok, thanks.

> > There is some controversy about "refried" beans. Some people claim that
> > "refried" is a poor translation of "refritos", which means something
> > more like "well fried". In any case, cook up some beans. Usually,
> > people add pork fat. Oftentimes in the US they are mashed. I don't
> > know why. I stopped eating baby food 60 years ago and would rather that
> > people left my food whole until such point as I can't eat it that way
> > any more!

> Thanks, Dan! So, what you are saying is that I can use the leftover beans I
> made, and fry them up in pork fat?
>
> That sounds logical to me.

Yep. And if the result is good note it as something to do again and if
it sucks then note it as something to not do again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+beans+recipe

>> > There is some controversy about "refried" beans. Some people claim
>> > that
>> > "refried" is a poor translation of "refritos", which means something
>> > more like "well fried". In any case, cook up some beans. Usually,
>> > people add pork fat. Oftentimes in the US they are mashed. I don't
>> > know why. I stopped eating baby food 60 years ago and would rather
>> > that
>> > people left my food whole until such point as I can't eat it that way
>> > any more!

>> Thanks, Dan! So, what you are saying is that I can use the leftover
>> beans I
>> made, and fry them up in pork fat?
>>
>> That sounds logical to me.

> Yep. And if the result is good note it as something to do again and if
> it sucks then note it as something to not do again.

Sounds about right to me.. Thanks

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> There is some controversy about "refried" beans. Some people claim
> that "refried" is a poor translation of "refritos", which means
> something more like "well fried". In any case, cook up some beans.
> Usually, people add pork fat. Oftentimes in the US they are mashed.
> I don't know why. I stopped eating baby food 60 years ago and would
> rather that people left my food whole until such point as I can't eat
> it that way any more!

Hah, it's why I can't stand them, they have that ABC thing going
on, really puts me off.

ABC = Already Been Chewed

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Ok, thanks.

> > There is some controversy about "refried" beans. Some people claim that
> > "refried" is a poor translation of "refritos", which means something
> > more like "well fried". In any case, cook up some beans. Usually,
> > people add pork fat. Oftentimes in the US they are mashed. I don't
> > know why. I stopped eating baby food 60 years ago and would rather that
> > people left my food whole until such point as I can't eat it that way
> > any more!

> Thanks, Dan! So, what you are saying is that I can use the leftover beans I
> made, and fry them up in pork fat?

Yes. In fact, I would just heat them up and eat them as you made them
(just my personal preference).

The only caution, is that for people reading this thread, many make
their baked beans with a lot of sugar and tomato products. People may
or may not like those, either fried up in pork fat, or served with
Mexican food.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2011 1:42 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

Nope, they can be but are normally cooked just for making refritos, ie.
refried beans. In Texas we usually do them with pinto beans but I've
seen black beans, and many other varieties used.

Soak them and cook them in the normal way until tender, then drain, mash
up good, add garlic and onion and whatever spices you like, mix
together, and fry. At least that's the way we made them. Probably more
ways to make refried beans then there are people reading this post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" wrote
> Ophelia wrote:

>> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

> Nope, they can be but are normally cooked just for making refritos, ie.
> refried beans. In Texas we usually do them with pinto beans but I've seen
> black beans, and many other varieties used.

Also 'american' for baked beans normally means sugar added while 'refritos'
almost never use sugar.

> Soak them and cook them in the normal way until tender, then drain, mash
> up good, add garlic and onion and whatever spices you like, mix together,
> and fry. At least that's the way we made them. Probably more ways to make
> refried beans then there are people reading this post.

Yes, agreed. Mine are never actually 'fried' but are cooked with pork
bones, pork fat, porky bits or any variation of that. Lift out a portion,
let drain then mash and use as normal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>>> lol how different do they taste?

>> About like the difference between beef and pork! (grin).

> Ahhhhh)

Yeah, kinda hard to describe!

>> Seriously, for a bean afficianado there's a big difference but for basic
>> consumption they come in sets of comon flavor relations.

> OK, but not being a bean afficianado..... I cooked my first been
> dish (ever) yesterday... so please bear with me, but we loved them and so
> I am very willing to learn Anything you can teach me will be very
> welcome.

USA folks picked this one up possibly from the amerinds but came in from
lots of places. It's an odd household local to me that wouldn't have them
at least twice a month in some level of form. Many homes, it's almost every
day there is a side dish of them. Conversely we largely have no clue what
you'd mean if you mention 'pudding' from a UK aspect.

I know little of UK 'pudding' other than it is grain based, fairly thick,
and has a consistancy not too far off 'refried beans' (mashed, seldom truely
fried but may have oil added as mashed and sorta fried as you mix them up).

>> Pinto/dark red kidney shaped beans
>> Red/pink beans
>> white beans (many names and types, navy beans is a common one)
>> Black eyed peas
>> Black beans
>> Aduki sweet beans
>>
>> Read the list and they are in order of relative flavor so that the
>> pinto's nearest flavor match is the red/pink which in turn next matches
>> closest to the white navy and so on down. The aduki don't totally fit
>> nor would mung beans as they have more to do with the traditional fixing
>> methods.

> Thank you I shall keep a note and learn about them!

Look about your stores and tell me what types they have in dried form.
Don't be suprized if they are a bit different than my common list. I just
listed 'the' most common types but your area may have alot of canary yellows
(fairly vibrant yellow when dried, fits mostly with white beans above) or a
mottled sort of smallish round one with a white background and red blots
(cranberry beans we call them and they fit between the red/pink and the
white).

I left off dried baby limas and large limas (dried lima beans, may also be
called 'butter beans') because I've been told they arent sold much where you
are. They bear almost no flavor relation to fresh ones and fit in roughly
with the white beans.

Universally though there are some basics to cooking dried beans. The least
expensive method uses a 'crockpot' (I believe you call them slowcookers, a
counter top device with a ceramic crock setting in a stand with a glass
lid).

Exact measures are not required so you'd add about 500g dried to 3.5-4L
water then add some stock cubes if you like and we normally add peeled
chopped garlic and black pepper. Many add salt at this stage so suit
yourself. We often have a ham bone or some sort of porky bits and add them
in but they are fine without that if you like. A scoup of bacon fat is nice
but not essential if you have a need to reduce that. Chicken fat somehow
doesnt work BTW but with white beans, duck fat works well.

Set crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting and let it do it's thing. The
bean type will vary on when it's ready but most will be by 8 hours and hold
well for 2 days straight heating (getting naturally closer to mashed as you
go along). Stove top works too but will cost you 4x in energy bills. Time
to stovetop at a merry boil is 45mins-2 hours with the slowest to tenderize
beans getting more notable on that (pintos).

I can scroll off actual recipes as well if you want!

PS: sorry if i have overexplained. I can't recall if you are a USA sort
living abroad so know my terms, or are a UK friend who might need a little
translation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 2:38*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-04-30, Ophelia > wrote:
>
> > Are these beans left over from baked beans? *

> Like sf sez, they're basically pinto beans and rendered pig fat. *Ya
> cook the beans, then add lard, bacon fat, etc, while mashing and
> reheating (refried) in a skillet or pot. *I've seen taqueria's use a
> big ol' Robot Coupe stick blender to mash. *Try different fats for
> different flavors. *I've seen some recipes call for half lard and half
> rendered beef suet. *I always include some bacon fat for the flavor.
> Most Mexican carniceria's (meat mkt) sell rendered lard from when they
> make chicarones (pork cracklins). *Better than using packaged lard,
> which is hydrogenated.

Not all packaged lard is hydrogenated. Some brands are kept in the
cold case and are natural. Still, the stuff from the carniceria would
be fresher.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 4:17*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Ophelia" wrote

> >> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
> >> other bean. *

> > lol how different do they taste?

> About like the difference between beef and pork! *(grin).
>
> Seriously, for a bean afficianado there's a big difference but for basic
> consumption they come in sets of comon flavor relations.
>
> Pinto/dark red kidney shaped beans
> Red/pink beans
> white beans (many names and types, navy beans is a common one)
> Black eyed peas
> Black beans
> Aduki sweet beans

Different beans can taste DRASTICALLY different. I find great
northerns completely repulsive. I used to spend the night at a
friend's house when my mother made her ham & beans because the stench
was so bad.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 6:10*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> [...]

> in but they are fine without that if you like. *A scoup of bacon fat is nice
> but not essential if you have a need to reduce that. *Chicken fat somehow
> doesnt work BTW but with white beans, duck fat works well.
>
> Set crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting and let it do it's thing. The
> bean type will vary on when it's ready but most will be by 8 hours and hold
> well for 2 days straight heating (getting naturally closer to mashed as you
> go along). *Stove top works too but will cost you 4x in energy bills. *Time
> to stovetop at a merry boil is 45mins-2 hours with the slowest to tenderize
> beans getting more notable on that (pintos).
>
> I can scroll off actual recipes as well if you want!
>
> PS: sorry if i have overexplained. *I can't recall if you are a USA sort
> living abroad so know my terms, or are a UK friend who might need a little

DO NOT use the "crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting" for kidney
beans. It might not get hot enough to denature the toxic
hemagglutinin, and may in fact increase its bioavailability.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...831.x/abstract

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message

> DO NOT use the "crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting" for kidney
> beans. It might not get hot enough to denature the toxic
> hemagglutinin, and may in fact increase its bioavailability.

Bryan, you are a bit of an idiot but try to make it less obvious ok?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:08:27 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Bryan" > wrote in message
>
>> DO NOT use the "crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting" for kidney
>> beans. It might not get hot enough to denature the toxic
>> hemagglutinin, and may in fact increase its bioavailability.

>Bryan, you are a bit of an idiot but try to make it less obvious ok?

Take a look at the Wiki article on beans, specifically kidney beans.
Perhaps the article is incorrect?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 8:18*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:08:27 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
> >"Bryan" > wrote in message

> >> DO NOT use the "crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting" for kidney
> >> beans. *It might not get hot enough to denature the toxic
> >> hemagglutinin, and may in fact increase its bioavailability.

> >Bryan, you are a bit of an idiot but try to make it less obvious ok?

> Take a look at the Wiki article on beans, specifically kidney beans.
> Perhaps the article is incorrect?

I don't mind being insulted when I deserve it, but cshenk was out of
line this time. I didn't preface my comment with something like,
"schenk is an idiot." If it weren't for your reply, some folks--
especially those who have me k/f'ed--might not get the info that
kidney beans should not be cooked in a slow cooker on the low
setting. Whatever else I am, I'm not an idiot.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

No. They are generally pinto beans but I have seen them done with black
beans as well. The beans are cooked, then mashed or partially mashed,
sometimes with additional fat of some kind added. Traditionally this would
be lard. I usually use olive oil. But you can make them with no fat as
well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2011-04-30, Ophelia > wrote:
>>> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

>> Like sf sez, they're basically pinto beans and rendered pig fat. Ya
>> cook the beans, then add lard, bacon fat, etc, while mashing and
>> reheating (refried) in a skillet or pot. I've seen taqueria's use a
>> big ol' Robot Coupe stick blender to mash. Try different fats for
>> different flavors. I've seen some recipes call for half lard and half
>> rendered beef suet. I always include some bacon fat for the flavor.
>> Most Mexican carniceria's (meat mkt) sell rendered lard from when they
>> make chicarones (pork cracklins). Better than using packaged lard,
>> which is hydrogenated.

> I am new to bean cookery. I was just asking...
> What is the difference between pinto beans and others?

The flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
.com...
> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> There is some controversy about "refried" beans. Some people claim
>> that "refried" is a poor translation of "refritos", which means
>> something more like "well fried". In any case, cook up some beans.
>> Usually, people add pork fat. Oftentimes in the US they are mashed. I
>> don't know why. I stopped eating baby food 60 years ago and would
>> rather that people left my food whole until such point as I can't eat
>> it that way any more!

> Hah, it's why I can't stand them, they have that ABC thing going
> on, really puts me off.
>
> ABC = Already Been Chewed

lol How do you feel about mashed potato? <g>

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message

>> Thanks, Dan! So, what you are saying is that I can use the leftover
>> beans I
>> made, and fry them up in pork fat?

> Yes. In fact, I would just heat them up and eat them as you made them
> (just my personal preference).

Yes, I will. I was just curious about something new

Thanks!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 4/30/2011 1:42 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

> Nope, they can be but are normally cooked just for making refritos, ie.
> refried beans. In Texas we usually do them with pinto beans but I've seen
> black beans, and many other varieties used.
>
> Soak them and cook them in the normal way until tender, then drain, mash
> up good, add garlic and onion and whatever spices you like, mix together,
> and fry. At least that's the way we made them. Probably more ways to make
> refried beans then there are people reading this post.

Thanks, George! I will probably stick with what I know atm because we
really like them. It was just curiosity about other ways to cook them.
Thanks again for all your help. You will see that I cooked them in a
similar way to that which you described

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> I know little of UK 'pudding' other than it is grain based, fairly thick,
> and has a consistancy not too far off 'refried beans' (mashed, seldom
> truely fried but may have oil added as mashed and sorta fried as you mix
> them up).

Pudding is just what you call 'dessert'. We also call it a 'sweet'.

So, for example Apple pie and custard = pudding
Rice pudding = pudding, Ice cream can be a pudding too, usually after the
main course.

So you see it really is just another word for dessert

> Look about your stores and tell me what types they have in dried form.
> Don't be suprized if they are a bit different than my common list. I just
> listed 'the' most common types but your area may have alot of canary
> yellows (fairly vibrant yellow when dried, fits mostly with white beans
> above) or a mottled sort of smallish round one with a white background and
> red blots (cranberry beans we call them and they fit between the red/pink
> and the white).

Crumbs I doubt it. My area had only canned beans and certainly nothing like
you describe. I shall be going into the city sometime soon and will have a
look around the shops. I think I have more chance there.

> I left off dried baby limas and large limas (dried lima beans, may also be
> called 'butter beans') because I've been told they arent sold much where
> you are. They bear almost no flavor relation to fresh ones and fit in
> roughly with the white beans.

Canned butter beans are very common here. Big old white things?

> Universally though there are some basics to cooking dried beans. The
> least expensive method uses a 'crockpot' (I believe you call them
> slowcookers, a counter top device with a ceramic crock setting in a stand
> with a glass lid).

I have one of those

> Exact measures are not required so you'd add about 500g dried to 3.5-4L
> water then add some stock cubes if you like and we normally add peeled
> chopped garlic and black pepper. Many add salt at this stage so suit
> yourself. We often have a ham bone or some sort of porky bits and add
> them in but they are fine without that if you like. A scoup of bacon fat
> is nice but not essential if you have a need to reduce that. Chicken fat
> somehow doesnt work BTW but with white beans, duck fat works well.
>
> Set crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting and let it do it's thing. The
> bean type will vary on when it's ready but most will be by 8 hours and
> hold well for 2 days straight heating (getting naturally closer to mashed
> as you go along). Stove top works too but will cost you 4x in energy
> bills. Time to stovetop at a merry boil is 45mins-2 hours with the
> slowest to tenderize beans getting more notable on that (pintos).
>
> I can scroll off actual recipes as well if you want!
>
> PS: sorry if i have overexplained. I can't recall if you are a USA sort
> living abroad so know my terms, or are a UK friend who might need a little
> translation.

I am definitely a 'UK Friend' ) As I said elsewhere, I have never made a
bean dish such as this one. All help received with big thanks

The meat I used was some smoked lardons I had in, but now I have bought a
large smoked ham joint. I am only cooking for the two of us now so I don't
need huge amounts. I will portion that ham up and freeze it so I will have
it on hand for future bean dishes. Btw we don't like spicy or 'hot' food
and this dish was creamy and tasty and just.... delicious)

All your points noted and saved

Many thanks

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:29:06 +0100, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> OK, but not being a bean afficianado..... I cooked my first been
>> dish (ever) yesterday... so please bear with me, but we loved them and so
>> am very willing to learn Anything you can teach me will be very
>> welcome.

> First you have to learn the official Bean Chant. It goes like this:
>
> "Beans, beans, the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you
> toot.".

LOL I've heard that before and I do know what 'toot' means)

> "Toot" refers to farting since many beans are notorious for giving you
> gas. They don't affect me in that way. And there are products you
> can buy to minimize that problem (appropriately called "Bean-O").
>
> I had black refrito (refried black beans) tacos tonight. With White
> American cheese and San Marcos brand chipotle sauce (the best taco
> sauce on earth).
>
> Black beans are my favorite for most things. They can be used
> anywhere a pinto beans is called for. Not to be confused with black
> soybeans or Chinese fermented beans.
>
> -sw

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Hah, it's why I can't stand them, they have that ABC thing going
>> on, really puts me off.
>>
>> ABC = Already Been Chewed

> lol How do you feel about mashed potato? <g>

(laugh!) Touché. I like beans. Refried beans, mmmm, no.

Lets just say that refried beans don't look just ABC, they appear
to have gone further in the process. Sometimes the "Mexican"
restaurants will offer black beans in place of refried, that's fine
with me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:
>>"Bryan" wrote

>>> DO NOT use the "crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting" for kidney
>>> beans. It might not get hot enough to denature the toxic
>>> hemagglutinin, and may in fact increase its bioavailability.

>>Bryan, you are a bit of an idiot but try to make it less obvious ok?

> Take a look at the Wiki article on beans, specifically kidney beans.
> Perhaps the article is incorrect?

The article I saw references a temp below that of the low setting on a
crockpot. The low setting is above 100F in the article.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9140202AAfyGME

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Opps, sorry typo that was 100 C.

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:08:27 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>"Bryan" > wrote in message
>>
>>> DO NOT use the "crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting" for kidney
>>> beans. It might not get hot enough to denature the toxic
>>> hemagglutinin, and may in fact increase its bioavailability.

>>Bryan, you are a bit of an idiot but try to make it less obvious ok?

> Take a look at the Wiki article on beans, specifically kidney beans.
> Perhaps the article is incorrect?
> Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" wrote
Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> >Bryan, you are a bit of an idiot but try to make it less obvious ok?

>> Take a look at the Wiki article on beans, specifically kidney beans.
>> Perhaps the article is incorrect?

> I don't mind being insulted when I deserve it, but cshenk was out of
> line this time. I didn't preface my comment with something like,
> "schenk is an idiot." If it weren't for your reply, some folks--
> especially those who have me k/f'ed--might not get the info that
> kidney beans should not be cooked in a slow cooker on the low
> setting. Whatever else I am, I'm not an idiot.

Learn something about how the device operates first then come back. The
Wikipedia article disagrees with the manufacturer operation manuals to start
with, possibly due to very dated material not up to speed with current units
that cook at higher temps. They quite happily bubble away as any Crockpot
owner can tell you.

Many units today have variable temp controls that allow them to be used as
deep fryers even. That's why when discussing the use of them you have to be
sure it's the same type of 'slow cooker' with a European person. The last
time I was discussing them with a UK person, theirs was metal and had a
'high' you used to brown meat on, then you turned it down to their 'low'
which was our 'high' to cook at. Had to adapt the timing in a bunch of my
recipes for them but they worked pretty much just as well once that was
done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

> Well, he could have said it little more down to Earth, but kidney
> beans really are toxic.

All he did was copy an innaccurate wikipedia page. The incorrect part isn't
the beans but about how crockpots function and especially modern ones.
There are many foods that have to be cooked before they are safe to eat.

Eddo (small taro) is a classic in that catagory as well. Once eddo has
simmered to the same texture of a cooked potato, it's edible. Raw, eddo is
toxic. In fact, so much so many people will get a rash handling it if not
wearing gloves (especially when peeling it). Eddo is also funny in that
it's very easy to overcook it so that it turns a pastey grey. The easiest
way I've found for that vegetable is to peel, slice then preboil to almost
done then mix with the other things in a crockpot on high for a bit (one of
my crocks is a mini and comes to heat point quite fast, 1 hour max in that
one is all it needs) then blender it and readd to the pot for another 30 to
meld. A simple recipe but one of the few where the stove would do just as
well IMHO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" .uk> wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> I know little of UK 'pudding' other than it is grain based, fairly thick,
>> and has a consistancy not too far off 'refried beans' (mashed, seldom
>> truely fried but may have oil added as mashed and sorta fried as you mix
>> them up).

> Pudding is just what you call 'dessert'. We also call it a 'sweet'.

Ah ok! My mind devolves more to this way when i think of 'english
puddings'.

http://www.historicfood.com/English%20Puddings.htm

So that's not the use of the term now? Cool! My mind will stop visions of
haggis and such (grin).

>> Look about your stores and tell me what types they have in dried form.
>> Don't be suprized if they are a bit different than my common list. I
>> just listed 'the' most common types but your area may have alot of canary
>> yellows (fairly vibrant yellow when dried, fits mostly with white beans
>> above) or a mottled sort of smallish round one with a white background
>> and red blots (cranberry beans we call them and they fit between the
>> red/pink and the white).

> Crumbs I doubt it. My area had only canned beans and certainly nothing
> like you describe. I shall be going into the city sometime soon and will
> have a look around the shops. I think I have more chance there.

True! It's a more popular food item in the states (and Canada according to
my friend who lives in Yellowknife) so we can _normally_ find at least 4
types of dried ones even in small rural areas. Doesn't mean there may not
be some spots this side of the pond where that isn't true but largely it's a
common thing. Regular stores here where I live have all of that list plus a
few others. You'll usually also see dried lentils and dried split peas
(yellow and green) here in the same area.

Once you get some, describe them to me (ping cshenk works since this thread
will probably be gone by then) and i can give recipes. Yes (grin) in
metric. Tell me your preferred cooking device and I'll adapt to that. If
it's a 'slow cooker' let me know for sure which type you have and the
relative size. As you'll see elsewhere, there's quite a bit of variation in
'slow cookers' and you may be calling yours a 'dutch oven' even due to some
differences in how we refer to cooking gear. I'm not real good with
pressure cooker advice though. Pressure cookers I've heard can be a bit
tricky with dried beans sometimes due to clogging vent spout? They work
fine if you know what you are doing but I'd not be the best one to advise on
them because I don't have one so all my knowledge is vicarious.

>> I left off dried baby limas and large limas (dried lima beans, may also
>> be called 'butter beans') because I've been told they arent sold much
>> where you are. They bear almost no flavor relation to fresh ones and fit
>> in roughly with the white beans.

> Canned butter beans are very common here. Big old white things?

Yup! More of a pale tan once cooked. Depending on what they are cooked
with, can be a medium brown once done. Dried you may see them or may not.
They are popular in dried forms where I am but largely unknown in other
parts of the USA. BTW, that's a 'very rough' fit with white beans. Very
much their 'own' sort of taste as are black eyed peas.

>> Universally though there are some basics to cooking dried beans. The
>> least expensive method uses a 'crockpot' (I believe you call them
>> slowcookers, a counter top device with a ceramic crock setting in a stand
>> with a glass lid).

> I have one of those

Cool. You can pre-boil the beans for 10-15 mins if you like on the stovetop
first. Some people also like to soak in hot water overnight with one or 2
changes of water. This pre-soak is reputed to reduce flatulance. Fact is
that most folks who eat beans pretty regular don't have that problem. The
body 'adjusts'. I don't pre-boil or pre-soak any type of dried beans but
then we have them at the ready in a crockpot almost all the time in one
version or other.

I tend to avoid pintos and kidneys as they take longer to cook and aren't as
happy with extended cooking to my mind, having a relatively short 'perfect'
stage then a 'rapid' decline to mush in a way that doesn't suit us as well
as other types. By 'rapid' here you'd have to know my version of that which
is a crockpot of bean 'soup' started on high for 4 hours then reduced to low
for 3-4 days. 'Something is always in there' for a hungry person.
Alternatives are to shift the liner to the fridge overnight or even decant
the contents and store in the fridge once 'done' and remove portions at need
for rewarming.

>> Exact measures are not required so you'd add about 500g dried to 3.5-4L
>> water then add some stock cubes if you like and we normally add peeled
>> chopped garlic and black pepper. Many add salt at this stage so suit
>> yourself. We often have a ham bone or some sort of porky bits and add
>> them in but they are fine without that if you like. A scoup of bacon fat
>> is nice but not essential if you have a need to reduce that. Chicken fat
>> somehow doesnt work BTW but with white beans, duck fat works well.
>>
>> Set crockpot/slow cooker on lowest setting and let it do it's thing. The
>> bean type will vary on when it's ready but most will be by 8 hours and
>> hold well for 2 days straight heating (getting naturally closer to mashed
>> as you go along). Stove top works too but will cost you 4x in energy
>> bills. Time to stovetop at a merry boil is 45mins-2 hours with the
>> slowest to tenderize beans getting more notable on that (pintos).
>>
>> I can scroll off actual recipes as well if you want!
>>
>> PS: sorry if i have overexplained. I can't recall if you are a USA sort
>> living abroad so know my terms, or are a UK friend who might need a
>> little translation.

> I am definitely a 'UK Friend' ) As I said elsewhere, I have never made
> a bean dish such as this one. All help received with big thanks

No problem! Oh to clarify, 'lowest setting' here means lowest *cooking*
setting, as you may also have one called 'warm'. There's nothing wrong with
'warm' if it's a food that pretty much can't spoil (no meat etc) after it's
fully cooked, but use caution is keeping it at that for more than an hour or
so if there's anything that can 'go bad'. The 'warm' temperature is
normally below simmer and intended more for short periods such as when we
have our potluck gatherings here in my screened porch. Consider it the
equal of the classic chafing dish with a tea candle under it.

> The meat I used was some smoked lardons I had in, but now I have bought a
> large smoked ham joint. I am only cooking for the two of us now so I
> don't need huge amounts. I will portion that ham up and freeze it so I
> will have it on hand for future bean dishes. Btw we don't like spicy or
> 'hot' food and this dish was creamy and tasty and just.... delicious)

Got it, a classic perfect meat for the beans is the lardons. The smoked ham
works also very well. Alternatives abound and a popular one is a whole
smoked 'hamhock' (pig foot) but you may find that a bit fattier than you
like. Not sure. Cured hogjowls are fantastic but it's from my
understanding more of a local product related to virginia 'salt cured hams'
(lots of black pepper and salt, almost jerky level dehydration).

Hehe I get you on the spicy. I like some spice but 'hot just to be hot'
doesnt appeal to me, especially with beans.

> All your points noted and saved
> Many thanks

Grin, sometimes talking to someone who knows an item well, can be helpful.
Fun on both ends!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
> Bryan wrote:

>> Not all packaged lard is hydrogenated. Some brands are kept in the
>> cold case and are natural. Still, the stuff from the carniceria would
>> be fresher.

> I have over a quart in my freezer right now. I use it to make
> carnitas starting with fatty pork. I always end up with more solid
> lard than what I started with. And it picks of flavor from frying
> meat in it.

> It was a quart of carniceira lard (should be slightly yellow/brown).
> One quart will last a long time unless you're making tamales.

Sounds like the 2 large mason jars in my fridge a bit. One has duck fat and
the other bacon/pork/sausage grease. Oh, there's a 3rd one for chicken fat
but we use that to grease the bird feeder pole to keep squirrels from
climbing it (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

something else to consider is the texture of the beans. some get just mushy
quicker than others, pinto beans are nice because they tend to flavor the
broth and thicken it without totally disintregrating, Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> "Ophelia" wrote

>>> lol how different do they taste?

>> About like the difference between beef and pork! (grin).

> Ahhhhh)
>
>> Seriously, for a bean afficianado there's a big difference but for basic
>> consumption they come in sets of comon flavor relations.

> OK, but not being a bean afficianado..... I cooked my first been
> dish (ever) yesterday... so please bear with me, but we loved them and so
> I am very willing to learn Anything you can teach me will be very
> welcome.
>

>> Pinto/dark red kidney shaped beans
>> Red/pink beans
>> white beans (many names and types, navy beans is a common one)
>> Black eyed peas
>> Black beans
>> Aduki sweet beans
>>
>> Read the list and they are in order of relative flavor so that the
>> pinto's nearest flavor match is the red/pink which in turn next matches
>> closest to the white navy and so on down. The aduki don't totally fit
>> nor would mung beans as they have more to do with the traditional fixing
>> methods.

> Thank you I shall keep a note and learn about them!

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
> > cshenk wrote:

> > Well, he could have said it little more down to Earth, but kidney
> > beans really are toxic.

No fatalities have been reported. No cases have been reported in the
US. Some people got really sick (time in the hospital) in the UK.

> All he did was copy an innaccurate wikipedia page.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....tb14831.x/abs
tract

That's not Wikipedia. That's "Journal of Food Science". It wasn't
Bryan who mentioned a Wikipedia page.

> The incorrect part isn't
> the beans but about how crockpots function and especially modern ones.
> There are many foods that have to be cooked before they are safe to eat.

There is no mention in the above article of crockpots. Some people
(like me) have really old crockpots. Others have defective crockpots.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
.com...
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Hah, it's why I can't stand them, they have that ABC thing going
>>> on, really puts me off.
>>>
>>> ABC = Already Been Chewed

>> lol How do you feel about mashed potato? <g>

> (laugh!) Touché. I like beans. Refried beans, mmmm, no.
>
> Lets just say that refried beans don't look just ABC, they appear
> to have gone further in the process. Sometimes the "Mexican"
> restaurants will offer black beans in place of refried, that's fine
> with me.

Well, after all the comments I just might give them a miss)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
Refried beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 05-02-2006 04:47 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 04:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 03:19 AM
Tell me about REFRIED BEANS General Cooking 12 07-03-2004 07:20 PM