Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default refried beans

they are most often for us a counter point to th rest of the meal, unless
they are the main entree they are most often just a small side... when they
are the entree, its often a bed of rice, with the beans over, then cheese
and olives for me, ground or shredded meat and cheese for dh.

Lee
"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> they do NOT need to be hot or spicey, and pasty half mush is the negative
>> of creamy and soft,

> Agreed. They almost never are really spicy in my experience, but are
> often served with things to add at will that might be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>When I was 21, I moved in with my sister for a couple years. She
>always had mashed up pintos in the fridge. We'd re-cook them several
>times before we ran out, and they got better each time. They were a
>staple for her, her kids and me. As long as they don't get burned, it
>seems like beans just keep improving the more times they're re-
>simmered.

"re-simmered" beans is not refried beans.
Refried does not mean fried twice... in Spanish the "re" in refried
means extra good, as in well seasoned beans fried with extra tasty
fat. I make refried beans in the same pan I use to fry pork chops...
I prefer black beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 03:37:48 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "jmcquown"
> wrote,
>Sorry, but I don't know where El Torito is. I'm pretty sure Ophelia (who is
>in Scotland, IIRC) doesn't know, either.

It's a small island off the coast of Texamexafornica.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
>> .example.com...

>> > They are actually a misnomer. They are not re-fried, they are
>> > re-cooked: refritos. However, they do use up leftover beans from
>> > other
>> > dishes. I often do so with leftovers from ranchero beans, but
>> > sometimes
>> > I will cook up a pot of beans entirely with the plan to make refried
>> > beans.

>> Regardless which beans they may be?
>> --

> Yes. They are most often made with pintos and pinto relatives and
> black beans, IME, but I can't see why other beans _couldn't_ be used.

Thank you, Ranee)
--

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 4:14*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> > In article >,

> > The companies that make slow cookers really don't want to tell you what
> > temperatures they reach. *The cookers produce very little heat and don't
> > have a thermostat. *There are just too many factors involved, and your
> > average user can't be expected to understand them all.

> >> From what I have read, all you have to do is put the beans on the stove
> >> and
> >> bring to a boil. *You then have to boil them for maybe a minute. *And
> >> then
> >> you can put them safely in the Crock-Pot.

> > To be really anal, what *I* read was that the people who got really sick
> > ate soaked but uncooked beans. *It just takes 4 or 5 beans to make you
> > sick. *The advice was to bring SOAKED beans to the boil and keep them
> > boiling for fifteen minutes. *This will reduce toxins to levels that
> > cannot be detected. *Once the toxins are destroyed you can cook them
> > however you desire, as far as the toxins are concerned.

> Humph! *I think i will be sticking to canned red kidney beans!

The dried ones cook up so much nicer than canned. Way, way better.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
>> Humph! I think i will be sticking to canned red kidney beans!
>>

> The dried ones cook up so much nicer than canned. Way, way better.

I beg to differ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:
>Bryan wrote:
>>> Humph! I think i will be sticking to canned red kidney beans!
>>>

>> The dried ones cook up so much nicer than canned. Way, way better.

>I beg to differ.

Correct... cooking dried beans can be iffy regardless but in the vast
majority of cases canned beans will be consistantly cooked to a better
consistancy than those cooked at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" wrote
"Julie Bove" wrote:

>> That could be too. I do not cook beans in the Crock-Pot. I might make
>> them
>> in there after I have cooked them on the stove, but mostly these days I
>> use
>> canned.

> Another person here mentioned the differences in canned refries beans,
> and said that the Rosarita brand are the best. I concur. I think
> that they are cooked longer than many other brands. Just like with
> tomato sauce, long cooking seems to increase the pH of them.

Grin, I'll have to try them again! Mostly I make my own 'refried' as
there's always leftovers here. Last can I got was a kroger store brand and
they were pretty good. I also used canned chickpeas for 'huumus' as they
have the right texture I want.

I'm debating making a bag of canary yellows right now. I don't have the
right 'sausage' for them though. There's a sort of very firm chiorzo, almost
like pepperoni that I like with them and I'm out. They can be fixed other
ways though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" wrote

> I don't remember the name of it, but there _is_ actually a toxin
> present in kidney beans that requires them to be boiled for 10 minutes
> before other cooking (possibly even draining the water from boiling) to
> remove it/neutralize it.

Yes there is but it denatures quite easily. No need to remove the boiling
water either unless you want to. The average crockpot will well exceed the
level needed to cook a kidney bean or you'd have had folks dropping like
flies for ages over it (grin). I think it's Dan who nailed it down to folks
eating raw beans after possibly sprouting them.

It's unfortunate that the wiki article is wrong, but that's just something
you learn to deal with. I shall perhaps later go in and edit a correction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> to my friend who lives in Yellowknife) so we can _normally_ find at least
>> 4 types of dried ones even in small rural areas. Doesn't mean there may
>> not be some spots this side of the pond where that isn't true but largely
>> it's a common thing. Regular stores here where I live have all of that

> Today I saw only black eyed peas, red kidney beans and lentils (dried)!

Dry black eyes are a total treat! Lentils I am getting into as a new
addition here but others may have better recipes for them.

>> Once you get some, describe them to me (ping cshenk works since this
>> thread will probably be gone by then) and i can give recipes. Yes (grin)
>> in metric.

> Metric, shmetric.. I am still in pounds and ounces lol

(grin!). I still think that way but I can convert pretty easy for most
things.

> Tell me your preferred cooking device and I'll adapt to that. If
>> it's a 'slow cooker' let me know for sure which type you have and the
>> relative size. As you'll see elsewhere, there's quite a bit of variation
>> in 'slow cookers' and you may be calling yours a 'dutch oven' even due to
>> some differences in how we refer to cooking gear.

> This is my slow cooker:
>
> http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/Prod...?Product=48724

Got it! I wouldn't like that one as much as the timer limits but it's
definately nice in all other ways!

It''s about the size of my 'junior crock'. I have 3, Momma (BIG oval, whole
pork shoulder, whole bone in ham, 6lb chicken etc), Junior (4L like yours),
and Baby (5cups). Junior is a good size for meals for 2 with leftovers.
'Baby' predates that size having more than 'plugged in or not' (heat is high
when on) so is a bit limited in use but at times, she's just right.

> I don't use it for everything though. I am happy cooking in my oven or in
> my cast iron pan on the stove.

Same here! I use the oven not that much though. I might go 3 months
without using it, then use it twice in a week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elle pee" wrote

>> Pressure cookers I've heard can be a bit
>> tricky with dried beans sometimes due to clogging vent spout? They work
>> fine if you know what you are doing but I'd not be the best one to advise
>> on
>> them because I don't have one so all my knowledge is vicarious.

> I'm happy to provide any assistance with pressure cooking beans. Here
> is a pressure cooker bean tutorial:

> http://www.hippressurecooking.com/20...mint-bean.html

> - don't worry nothing should explode if you respect your cooker's
> maximum capacity and follow the manufacturer's directions.

Excellent! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Bryan" wrote
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>
>>> That could be too. I do not cook beans in the Crock-Pot. I might make
>>> them
>>> in there after I have cooked them on the stove, but mostly these days I
>>> use
>>> canned.

>> Another person here mentioned the differences in canned refries beans,
>> and said that the Rosarita brand are the best. I concur. I think
>> that they are cooked longer than many other brands. Just like with
>> tomato sauce, long cooking seems to increase the pH of them.

> Grin, I'll have to try them again! Mostly I make my own 'refried' as
> there's always leftovers here. Last can I got was a kroger store brand
> and they were pretty good. I also used canned chickpeas for 'huumus' as
> they have the right texture I want.
>
> I'm debating making a bag of canary yellows right now. I don't have the
> right 'sausage' for them though. There's a sort of very firm chiorzo,
> almost like pepperoni that I like with them and I'm out. They can be
> fixed other ways though.

The refried beans I make are very good. The problem? I always make too
much at one time. It's sort of like rice or pasta. I try to be careful but
always cook too much. And then there is the cooking time. Much easier just
to pop open a can. And they're cheap!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 May 2011 18:12:22 -0400, cshenk wrote:
>
>> The average crockpot will well exceed the
>> level needed to cook a kidney bean...

> That leaves about 45% that won't cook them properly.
>
>> It's unfortunate that the wiki article is wrong, but that's just
>> something
>> you learn to deal with. I shall perhaps later go in and edit a
>> correction.

> I can buy fresh kidney and garbonzo beans, as well as taro. None of
> them come with warnings on them.
>
> IOW: It was a topic worth mentioning. Let it go ferchristsakes.

I bought the fresh garbanzos at Costco and tried eating them raw. Ppppyuck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Today I saw only black eyed peas, red kidney beans and lentils (dried)!

> Dry black eyes are a total treat! Lentils I am getting into as a new
> addition here but others may have better recipes for them.

We never did take to lentils so I doubt I will be cooking any. Actually
after all the comments here I might just stick to canned beans for a bit. I
intend to make another pot today, similar to the last. I do that when I am
experimenting until I am sure I have it right... althought the last pot was
very good)

>> Metric, shmetric.. I am still in pounds and ounces lol

> (grin!). I still think that way but I can convert pretty easy for most
> things.

It's no problem really My scale changes from one to the other at the
touch of a button

> Got it! I wouldn't like that one as much as the timer limits but it's
> definately nice in all other ways!
>
> It''s about the size of my 'junior crock'. I have 3, Momma (BIG oval,
> whole pork shoulder, whole bone in ham, 6lb chicken etc), Junior (4L like
> yours), and Baby (5cups). Junior is a good size for meals for 2 with
> leftovers. 'Baby' predates that size having more than 'plugged in or not'
> (heat is high when on) so is a bit limited in use but at times, she's just
> right.

I had a really big cuisineart

http://tinyurl.com/6c52vzg

But I recently gave it away. Far too big for the two of us.

>> I don't use it for everything though. I am happy cooking in my oven or
>> in my cast iron pan on the stove.

> Same here! I use the oven not that much though. I might go 3 months
> without using it, then use it twice in a week.

Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

don't let all that talk about the dry beans spook you. i can't really
visualize your dh opening the kidneys and eating out of the bag like a
snack... but i often do as you do when we get onto some new dish we make it
a few times to get it where we want it... compare how we like it then stick
well sorta to that... its pretty easy here as the dh doesn't like hot at
all, and only food slightly seasoned and not at all spicey... neither of us
ever add black pepper to anything we cook so once we get the ingr/method
down its all good... I am excited for you trying a whole new area of foods.

Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> Today I saw only black eyed peas, red kidney beans and lentils (dried)!

>> Dry black eyes are a total treat! Lentils I am getting into as a new
>> addition here but others may have better recipes for them.

> We never did take to lentils so I doubt I will be cooking any.
> Actually
> after all the comments here I might just stick to canned beans for a bit.
> intend to make another pot today, similar to the last. I do that when I
> am
> experimenting until I am sure I have it right... althought the last pot
> was
> very good)
>
>>> Metric, shmetric.. I am still in pounds and ounces lol

>> (grin!). I still think that way but I can convert pretty easy for most
>> things.

> It's no problem really My scale changes from one to the other at the
> touch of a button
>
>> Got it! I wouldn't like that one as much as the timer limits but it's
>> definately nice in all other ways!
>>
>> It''s about the size of my 'junior crock'. I have 3, Momma (BIG oval,
>> whole pork shoulder, whole bone in ham, 6lb chicken etc), Junior (4L like
>> yours), and Baby (5cups). Junior is a good size for meals for 2 with
>> leftovers. 'Baby' predates that size having more than 'plugged in or not'
>> (heat is high when on) so is a bit limited in use but at times, she's
>> just
>> right.

> I had a really big cuisineart
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6c52vzg
>
> But I recently gave it away. Far too big for the two of us.
>
>>> I don't use it for everything though. I am happy cooking in my oven or
>>> in my cast iron pan on the stove.

>> Same here! I use the oven not that much though. I might go 3 months
>> without using it, then use it twice in a week.

> Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.
>
> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> don't let all that talk about the dry beans spook you. i can't really
> visualize your dh opening the kidneys and eating out of the bag like a
> snack... but i often do as you do when we get onto some new dish we make
> it a few times to get it where we want it... compare how we like it then
> stick well sorta to that... its pretty easy here as the dh doesn't like
> hot at all, and only food slightly seasoned and not at all spicey...
> neither of us ever add black pepper to anything we cook so once we get the
> ingr/method down its all good... I am excited for you trying a whole new
> area of foods.

Thank you, Lee Me too!! You two sound as though you have similar tastes
to us

> Lee

>>> Dry black eyes are a total treat! Lentils I am getting into as a new
>>> addition here but others may have better recipes for them.

>> We never did take to lentils so I doubt I will be cooking any.
>> Actually
>> after all the comments here I might just stick to canned beans for a bit.
>> intend to make another pot today, similar to the last. I do that when I
>> am
>> experimenting until I am sure I have it right... althought the last pot
>> was
>> very good)

>>> (grin!). I still think that way but I can convert pretty easy for most
>>> things.

>> It's no problem really My scale changes from one to the other at the
>> touch of a button
>>
>>> Got it! I wouldn't like that one as much as the timer limits but it's
>>> definately nice in all other ways!
>>>
>>> It''s about the size of my 'junior crock'. I have 3, Momma (BIG oval,
>>> whole pork shoulder, whole bone in ham, 6lb chicken etc), Junior (4L
>>> like
>>> yours), and Baby (5cups). Junior is a good size for meals for 2 with
>>> leftovers. 'Baby' predates that size having more than 'plugged in or
>>> not'
>>> (heat is high when on) so is a bit limited in use but at times, she's
>>> just
>>> right.

>> I had a really big cuisineart
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6c52vzg
>>
>> But I recently gave it away. Far too big for the two of us.

>>> Same here! I use the oven not that much though. I might go 3 months
>>> without using it, then use it twice in a week.

>> Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.
>> --
>> --
>>
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 12:37*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > On May 1, 3:57 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message

> web.com...

> >> That's a rather vague description, Randy. *Not all beans are alike.

> >> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles
> >> on
> >> them. *They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long slow
> >> cooking. *Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender (mashable)
> >> then you use them to make refried beans. *And for that you'll need lard
> >> or
> >> other fat. *Because you have to boil them first, then mash them and fry
> >> them. *And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush they serve in
> >> U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili powders/spices to
> >> them first.

> > Or you can go to El Torito and buy their nasty already spiced beans.
> > They had no other version of their beans. *I managed to get some down,
> > but my mouth was on fire, and they put those damn beans inside the
> > burrito too. The only thing on the plate that was enjoyable was their
> > corn cake, which was only a couple bites worth.

> > Most restaurants will happily spice things up by request, but this
> > place didn't have a non-spicy option.

> Sorry, but I don't know where El Torito is. *I'm pretty sure Ophelia (who is
> in Scotland, IIRC) doesn't know, either.
>
> Jill

It's the name of a Mexican restaurant chain. I don't know if they are
regional or national, but I have seen them in Washington and Oregon. I
assumed they would be like most Mexican style restaurants, but i guess
not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i would eat food with a lot more heat as i really enjoy it, but its not
edible to him so i figure i can get hot when we eat out if i want it, and
even though we rarely eat out these days, its something i enjoy not
something i need... i prefer herbs to flavor the food as he does and what a
joy when i finally convinced him cumen was not a heated product, lol, Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> don't let all that talk about the dry beans spook you. i can't really
>> visualize your dh opening the kidneys and eating out of the bag like a
>> snack... but i often do as you do when we get onto some new dish we make
>> it a few times to get it where we want it... compare how we like it then
>> stick well sorta to that... its pretty easy here as the dh doesn't like
>> hot at all, and only food slightly seasoned and not at all spicey...
>> neither of us ever add black pepper to anything we cook so once we get
>> the ingr/method down its all good... I am excited for you trying a whole
>> new area of foods.

> Thank you, Lee Me too!! You two sound as though you have similar
> tastes to us
>>
>> Lee

>>> We never did take to lentils so I doubt I will be cooking any.
>>> Actually
>>> after all the comments here I might just stick to canned beans for a
>>> bit. I
>>> intend to make another pot today, similar to the last. I do that when I
>>> am
>>> experimenting until I am sure I have it right... althought the last pot
>>> was
>>> very good)

>>> It's no problem really My scale changes from one to the other at the
>>> touch of a button

>>> I had a really big cuisineart
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6c52vzg
>>>
>>> But I recently gave it away. Far too big for the two of us.

>>> Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.
>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> i would eat food with a lot more heat as i really enjoy it, but its not
> edible to him so i figure i can get hot when we eat out if i want it, and
> even though we rarely eat out these days, its something i enjoy not
> something i need... i prefer herbs to flavor the food as he does and what
> a joy when i finally convinced him cumen was not a heated product, lol,
> Lee

Awwwwwwww lol. I use a lot of herbs when I cook but I chop them finely
because he complains if he seems too many 'bushes' in his food <g>

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> don't let all that talk about the dry beans spook you. i can't really
>>> visualize your dh opening the kidneys and eating out of the bag like a
>>> snack... but i often do as you do when we get onto some new dish we make
>>> it a few times to get it where we want it... compare how we like it then
>>> stick well sorta to that... its pretty easy here as the dh doesn't like
>>> hot at all, and only food slightly seasoned and not at all spicey...
>>> neither of us ever add black pepper to anything we cook so once we get
>>> the ingr/method down its all good... I am excited for you trying a whole
>>> new area of foods.

>> Thank you, Lee Me too!! You two sound as though you have similar
>> tastes to us

>> --
>> --
>>
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

he does most of the actual cooking so that chopping deal is up to him...
when i asked for cumen he read a description that wasn't exactly accurate or
he interpreted it wrong, can't remember for sure now... but i finally got it
then cooked chicken in the crock pot with a sweeter salsa and the cumen, he
really enjoyed it so its on the list...

you would think after thirty years i would quit being shocked at what i
learn new about him but he is always there showing me something new, Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i would eat food with a lot more heat as i really enjoy it, but its not
>> edible to him so i figure i can get hot when we eat out if i want it, and
>> even though we rarely eat out these days, its something i enjoy not
>> something i need... i prefer herbs to flavor the food as he does and what
>> a joy when i finally convinced him cumen was not a heated product, lol,
>> Lee

> Awwwwwwww lol. I use a lot of herbs when I cook but I chop them finely
> because he complains if he seems too many 'bushes' in his food <g>

>>> Thank you, Lee Me too!! You two sound as though you have similar
>>> tastes to us

>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I can buy fresh kidney and garbonzo beans, as well as taro. None of
> them come with warnings on them.

Fava beans have toxin levels high enough that there's a disease with a
matching name - favism. It takes eating a vast amount of undercooked
favas ans even more other tpyes of legume for most people to get sick.
But why risk it? Boil them and be safe.

Except edemame I guess, just don't eat almost raw soy by the pound.
Sure enough edamame are usually eaten in small quantities as an
appetizer or side dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> he does most of the actual cooking so that chopping deal is up to him...
> when i asked for cumen he read a description that wasn't exactly accurate
> or he interpreted it wrong, can't remember for sure now... but i finally
> got it then cooked chicken in the crock pot with a sweeter salsa and the
> cumen, he really enjoyed it so its on the list...
>
> you would think after thirty years i would quit being shocked at what i
> learn new about him but he is always there showing me something new, Lee

Well you won't ever get bored))) That is lovely)

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> i would eat food with a lot more heat as i really enjoy it, but its not
>>> edible to him so i figure i can get hot when we eat out if i want it,
>>> and even though we rarely eat out these days, its something i enjoy not
>>> something i need... i prefer herbs to flavor the food as he does and
>>> what a joy when i finally convinced him cumen was not a heated product,
>>> lol, Lee

>> Awwwwwwww lol. I use a lot of herbs when I cook but I chop them finely
>> because he complains if he seems too many 'bushes' in his food <g>

>> --
>> --
>>
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

of all the descreptives of him boring is not one... a little stuffy in some
areas, and certainly conservative... but on the whole a keeper, after all he
tolerates me, and it can be said i am a little more than quirkey/eccentric,
Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> he does most of the actual cooking so that chopping deal is up to him...
>> when i asked for cumen he read a description that wasn't exactly accurate
>> or he interpreted it wrong, can't remember for sure now... but i finally
>> got it then cooked chicken in the crock pot with a sweeter salsa and the
>> cumen, he really enjoyed it so its on the list...
>>
>> you would think after thirty years i would quit being shocked at what i
>> learn new about him but he is always there showing me something new, Lee

> Well you won't ever get bored))) That is lovely)

>>> Awwwwwwww lol. I use a lot of herbs when I cook but I chop them finely
>>> because he complains if he seems too many 'bushes' in his food <g>

>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> of all the descreptives of him boring is not one... a little stuffy in
> some areas, and certainly conservative... but on the whole a keeper, after
> all he tolerates me, and it can be said i am a little more than
> quirkey/eccentric,

nodnodnodnodnodnodnod

> Lee
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> he does most of the actual cooking so that chopping deal is up to him...
>>> when i asked for cumen he read a description that wasn't exactly
>>> accurate or he interpreted it wrong, can't remember for sure now... but
>>> i finally got it then cooked chicken in the crock pot with a sweeter
>>> salsa and the cumen, he really enjoyed it so its on the list...
>>>
>>> you would think after thirty years i would quit being shocked at what i
>>> learn new about him but he is always there showing me something new, Lee

>> Well you won't ever get bored))) That is lovely)

>> --
>> --
>>
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lol

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> of all the descreptives of him boring is not one... a little stuffy in
>> some areas, and certainly conservative... but on the whole a keeper,
>> after all he tolerates me, and it can be said i am a little more than
>> quirkey/eccentric,

> nodnodnodnodnodnodnod
>

>> Lee

>>> Well you won't ever get bored))) That is lovely)

>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 06:08:40 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> don't let all that talk about the dry beans spook you.

It sounded to me like dried beans are not stocked where she shops.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 04:52:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> It's the name of a Mexican restaurant chain. I don't know if they are
> regional or national, but I have seen them in Washington and Oregon. I
> assumed they would be like most Mexican style restaurants, but i guess
> not.

Chevy's is the national one, but El Torito is down here in CA too and
you're right. It operates like any other Mexican restaurant chain.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

yes but she found some and was going to look when she went into the city,
then all the talk about toxins spooked her because she hasn't dealt with
dry...I just hate the thought she would be off put by that talk, while valid
toxins do exist normal cooking takes care of them and one could interpret
some posts as dire warnings, Lee

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 May 2011 06:08:40 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>> don't let all that talk about the dry beans spook you.

> It sounded to me like dried beans are not stocked where she shops.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On May 2, 12:37*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> > Sorry, but I don't know where El Torito is. *I'm pretty sure Ophelia (who is
> > in Scotland, IIRC) doesn't know, either.
> >
> > Jill

> It's the name of a Mexican restaurant chain. I don't know if they are
> regional or national, but I have seen them in Washington and Oregon. I
> assumed they would be like most Mexican style restaurants, but i guess
> not.

It's confusing. I looked it up, and El Torito has one location in
Oregon and the rest in California. However, another Google for
Washington shows locations of El Torito GRILL. They seem to be related
but different.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 11:17:53 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> yes but she found some and was going to look when she went into the city,
> then all the talk about toxins spooked her because she hasn't dealt with
> dry...I just hate the thought she would be off put by that talk, while valid
> toxins do exist normal cooking takes care of them and one could interpret
> some posts as dire warnings, Lee

If the beans were cooked normally (not in a stupid crockpot), there
would be no problem.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Fava beans have toxin levels high enough that there's a disease with a
> matching name - favism. It takes eating a vast amount of undercooked
> favas ans even more other tpyes of legume for most people to get sick.
> But why risk it? Boil them and be safe.

Here is a Medline abstract I posted years ago:

Carlo Corchia, MD, Antonio Balata, MD, Gian Franco Meloni, MD, and
Tullio Meloni, MD
From the Department of Pediatrics and Neonatology, University of
Sassari. Sassari, Italy (J Pediatr 1995; 127:807-8)
Favism is characterized by anemia, jaundice, and hemoglobinuria; it may
develop in subjects with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency as
a consequence of the ingestion of fresh, frozen, cooked, raw, or dried
fava beans. Favism also has been reported in breast-fed infants whose
mothers had eaten fava beans.
We report favism in a female newborn infant whose mother ingested dried
fava beans 5 days before delivery.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>>> Today I saw only black eyed peas, red kidney beans and lentils (dried)!

>> Dry black eyes are a total treat! Lentils I am getting into as a new
>> addition here but others may have better recipes for them.

> We never did take to lentils so I doubt I will be cooking any.
> Actually
> after all the comments here I might just stick to canned beans for a bit.

Not a problem! I like making dried ones. From the description of what you
like in texture, white, black eyes, and lima (butter beans) are going to
suit you well.

> I intend to make another pot today, similar to the last. I do that when I
> am
> experimenting until I am sure I have it right... althought the last pot
> was
> very good)

I missed the orginal post. Did you make them with sweetner and bake them?
I prefer mine to be savory vice sweet but there's lots of good recipes for
both! Plenty of them use the oven to polish them off after using a stove or
crockpot to do the basic cooking.

>>> Metric, shmetric.. I am still in pounds and ounces lol

>> (grin!). I still think that way but I can convert pretty easy for most
>> things.

> It's no problem really My scale changes from one to the other at the
> touch of a button

In my case, I'm just used to it at least with the weight types of measures.
I get a little confused on liquids and definately if the recipe says 'x
grams water' or something like that.

> I had a really big cuisineart
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6c52vzg
>
> But I recently gave it away. Far too big for the two of us.

Something closer to 2L would work best for you.

>> Same here! I use the oven not that much though. I might go 3 months
>> without using it, then use it twice in a week.

> Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.

Same here, but we use the breadmachine for most of it. Only now and again
to we do just 'dough' then put it in the oven. Did that this past weekend
though as we wanted 3 loaves and I have only 2 breadmachines. I was hosting
a party and wanted some for gifts (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 10:05*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> " > wrote:
> > On May 2, 12:37*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > > Sorry, but I don't know where El Torito is. *I'm pretty sure Ophelia (who is
> > > in Scotland, IIRC) doesn't know, either.

> > > Jill

> > It's the name of a Mexican restaurant chain. I don't know if they are
> > regional or national, but I have seen them in Washington and Oregon. I
> > assumed they would be like most Mexican style restaurants, but i guess
> > not.

> It's confusing. *I looked it up, and El Torito has one location in
> Oregon and the rest in California. *However, another Google for
> Washington shows locations of El Torito GRILL. *They seem to be related
> but different.

Interesting. I thought it was a chain, and I could have sworn I have
seen another one. I wonder if that one is that grill version you
mentioned. It was located at a mall I rarely go to. I guess I went to
the only one in Portland. I was trying to avoid another trip to Marie
Calender's so I agreed to El Torito.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2011 3:57 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I have one quart of lamb fat, one of pure pork, and a frozen bag of
> chicken fat pucks from rendering chicken skins. I only get 5-7 ounced
> of the chicken fat at a time so I pour the fat into a flat glass and
> freeze it, then that fat just pops out and the puck goes into plastic
> bag.

What kinds of things do you use those fats for? I used to save bacon
fat but found I never used it so I quit and just let it harden and put
it into my grease container in the fridge to be thrown out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On May 3, 10:05 am, Dan Abel > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,

>>> It's the name of a Mexican restaurant chain. I don't know if they
>>> are regional or national, but I have seen them in Washington and
>>> Oregon. I assumed they would be like most Mexican style
>>> restaurants, but i guess not.

>> It's confusing. I looked it up, and El Torito has one location in
>> Oregon and the rest in California. However, another Google for
>> Washington shows locations of El Torito GRILL. They seem to be
>> related but different.
>>

> Interesting. I thought it was a chain, and I could have sworn I have
> seen another one. I wonder if that one is that grill version you
> mentioned. It was located at a mall I rarely go to. I guess I went to
> the only one in Portland. I was trying to avoid another trip to Marie
> Calender's so I agreed to El Torito.

Years ago we had an El Torito in Lynnwood WA. I assumed it was a chain
after I moved to CA and same them there. They looked similar. I don't
really remember liking or disliking the place. It does take a lot for me to
dislike a Mexican place. And if I do it's because I find the seasonings to
be either too bland or just odd. Or that they use pre-packaged food such as
Azteca seems to do. I swear their fajita meat and veg come frozen. I don't
usually eat there but they had a salad special this summer that I tried.
Also some cheese dip. Kind of hard to mess those things up though. And I
don't like Chevy's because of their seasonings. I don't know what they do
to the salsa or put in that weird little lump of corn thingie that comes on
every plate but it's not good.

The thing I do remember about El Torito though is that there were no
meatless meals on the menu. Most places will offer cheese enchildas, a bean
burrito or even a tostada with no meat. They did not and if you dared to
order something like that they acted like it was a big deal for them to do
it. Yes, I know the beans most likely contained lard. This was back in the
70's maybe into the early 80's. I'm not sure how long it was there. A few
years at least. Sat vacant for awhile and then was a Chevy's. Chevy's
didn't last any time at all. The building is still there but looks very
decrepit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> I missed the orginal post. Did you make them with sweetner and bake them?
> I prefer mine to be savory vice sweet but there's lots of good recipes for
> both! Plenty of them use the oven to polish them off after using a stove
> or crockpot to do the basic cooking.

No sweetener. I used olive oil, onions, garlic, smoked lardons, canned
canellini beans (including the water in the can), fresh herbs: parsley,
sage and lemon thyme and a good glug of white wine.

Yesterday I made a second pot. Mostly the same...but, I used 3 cans of
butter beans and one of red kidney beans and I used meat from a joint of
smoked ham. Once again, excellent There are leftovers and I want to try
to use them as a 'side' with something else...but I don't know what I
have never like smoked foods much, but they go so well with the beans I
wouldn't think of leaving it out now

> In my case, I'm just used to it at least with the weight types of
> measures. I get a little confused on liquids and definately if the recipe
> says 'x grams water' or something like that.

When I work out a recipe I like, I get out the measures and change the
measurements to metric. I do that with cup measurements too. I hate the
inconsistency of the cups.

> Something closer to 2L would work best for you.

I showed you the one I am using now. I really only use it for stock though

>>> Same here! I use the oven not that much though. I might go 3 months
>>> without using it, then use it twice in a week.

>> Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.

> Same here, but we use the breadmachine for most of it. Only now and again
> to we do just 'dough' then put it in the oven. Did that this past weekend
> though as we wanted 3 loaves and I have only 2 breadmachines. I was
> hosting a party and wanted some for gifts (grin).

I cooked my beans very slowly in my cast iron post on the stove, because I
needed my oven for bread.

I have a bread machine but use it only for mixing. The dough doesn't rise
long enough for my liking in the machine and it always turns out heavy. I
make my dough much wetter than recipes give. I was very recently, lucky
enough to spend an afternoon with someone who uses up to 110% hydration!!!
Man that was some experience and has given me the confidence to use higher
hydration in my usual breads with amazing results

You give bread as gifts at parties?... Cor... when is your next party...

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i have been cooking them in a crock pot for as long as they have been been
and never had an issue... but your point is the real point, knowing the
issue is there and taking proper precautions... but some of the post were
doom and disaster... if i nknew little about beans it might be off putting
to me, Lee
"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 May 2011 11:17:53 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>> yes but she found some and was going to look when she went into the city,
>> then all the talk about toxins spooked her because she hasn't dealt with
>> dry...I just hate the thought she would be off put by that talk, while
>> valid
>> toxins do exist normal cooking takes care of them and one could interpret
>> some posts as dire warnings, Lee

> If the beans were cooked normally (not in a stupid crockpot), there
> would be no problem.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

some menu ideas for using the beans as sides...
-a half cup of the beans over;
--mashed potatoes
--rice
--green beans
--boiled dumplings
--one square of corn bread cut in half

serve with a pork chop or blt

Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>
>> I missed the orginal post. Did you make them with sweetner and bake
>> them? I prefer mine to be savory vice sweet but there's lots of good
>> recipes for both! Plenty of them use the oven to polish them off after
>> using a stove or crockpot to do the basic cooking.

> No sweetener. I used olive oil, onions, garlic, smoked lardons, canned
> canellini beans (including the water in the can), fresh herbs: parsley,
> sage and lemon thyme and a good glug of white wine.
>
> Yesterday I made a second pot. Mostly the same...but, I used 3 cans of
> butter beans and one of red kidney beans and I used meat from a joint of
> smoked ham. Once again, excellent There are leftovers and I want to
> try to use them as a 'side' with something else...but I don't know what
> I have never like smoked foods much, but they go so well with the beans I
> wouldn't think of leaving it out now
>
>> In my case, I'm just used to it at least with the weight types of
>> measures. I get a little confused on liquids and definately if the recipe
>> says 'x grams water' or something like that.

> When I work out a recipe I like, I get out the measures and change the
> measurements to metric. I do that with cup measurements too. I hate the
> inconsistency of the cups.
>
>> Something closer to 2L would work best for you.

> I showed you the one I am using now. I really only use it for stock
> though

>>> Well I make all our bread, so the oven is on quite a lot.

>> Same here, but we use the breadmachine for most of it. Only now and
>> again to we do just 'dough' then put it in the oven. Did that this past
>> weekend though as we wanted 3 loaves and I have only 2 breadmachines. I
>> was hosting a party and wanted some for gifts (grin).

> I cooked my beans very slowly in my cast iron post on the stove, because I
> needed my oven for bread.
>
> I have a bread machine but use it only for mixing. The dough doesn't rise
> long enough for my liking in the machine and it always turns out heavy. I
> make my dough much wetter than recipes give. I was very recently, lucky
> enough to spend an afternoon with someone who uses up to 110% hydration!!!
> Man that was some experience and has given me the confidence to use higher
> hydration in my usual breads with amazing results
>
> You give bread as gifts at parties?... Cor... when is your next party...
>
> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 4:02*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> *I used olive oil, onions, garlic, smoked lardons, canned ...

I'm sure that if you had meant bacon, you would have written bacon.
"Lardons" is French for bacon. What does it mean in British English?
Thanks.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> some menu ideas for using the beans as sides...
> -a half cup of the beans over;
> --mashed potatoes
> --rice
> --green beans
> --boiled dumplings
> --one square of corn bread cut in half
>
> serve with a pork chop or blt

That sounds nice.. with the pork chop I mean! Also with my bread, in fact
the sauce was lovely and we ate it with my bread

Our favourite bread is one i make which is a mixture of wholemeal flour,
white flour and rye. It went beautifully with the beans

> Lee
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I missed the orginal post. Did you make them with sweetner and bake
>>> them? I prefer mine to be savory vice sweet but there's lots of good
>>> recipes for both! Plenty of them use the oven to polish them off after
>>> using a stove or crockpot to do the basic cooking.

>> No sweetener. I used olive oil, onions, garlic, smoked lardons, canned
>> canellini beans (including the water in the can), fresh herbs: parsley,
>> sage and lemon thyme and a good glug of white wine.
>>
>> Yesterday I made a second pot. Mostly the same...but, I used 3 cans of
>> butter beans and one of red kidney beans and I used meat from a joint of
>> smoked ham. Once again, excellent There are leftovers and I want to
>> try to use them as a 'side' with something else...but I don't know what
>> I have never like smoked foods much, but they go so well with the beans I
>> wouldn't think of leaving it out now
>>
>>> In my case, I'm just used to it at least with the weight types of
>>> measures. I get a little confused on liquids and definately if the
>>> recipe says 'x grams water' or something like that.

>> When I work out a recipe I like, I get out the measures and change the
>> measurements to metric. I do that with cup measurements too. I hate the
>> inconsistency of the cups.
>>
>>> Something closer to 2L would work best for you.

>> I showed you the one I am using now. I really only use it for stock
>> though

>>> Same here, but we use the breadmachine for most of it. Only now and
>>> again to we do just 'dough' then put it in the oven. Did that this past
>>> weekend though as we wanted 3 loaves and I have only 2 breadmachines. I
>>> was hosting a party and wanted some for gifts (grin).

>> I cooked my beans very slowly in my cast iron post on the stove, because
>> I needed my oven for bread.
>>
>> I have a bread machine but use it only for mixing. The dough doesn't
>> rise long enough for my liking in the machine and it always turns out
>> heavy. I make my dough much wetter than recipes give. I was very
>> recently, lucky enough to spend an afternoon with someone who uses up to
>> 110% hydration!!! Man that was some experience and has given me the
>> confidence to use higher hydration in my usual breads with amazing
>> results
>>
>> You give bread as gifts at parties?... Cor... when is your next party...
>> --
>> --
>>
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
Refried beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 05-02-2006 05:47 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 05:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 04:19 AM
Tell me about REFRIED BEANS General Cooking 12 07-03-2004 08:20 PM