Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default refried beans

"Dan Abel" wrote,
> "cshenk" wrote:
>> "Sqwertz" wrote
>> > cshenk wrote:

>> > Well, he could have said it little more down to Earth, but kidney
>> > beans really are toxic.

> No fatalities have been reported. No cases have been reported in the
> US. Some people got really sick (time in the hospital) in the UK.

Correct. Thats what even wikipedia says.

>> All he did was copy an innaccurate wikipedia page.

> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....tb14831.x/abs
> tract
>
> That's not Wikipedia. That's "Journal of Food Science". It wasn't
> Bryan who mentioned a Wikipedia page.

Your link doesn't resolve until you add the 'tract' which came over broken
but the text from Bryan was identical to the wiki article.

Your article "The effect of temperature in destroying the hemagglutinin
(lectin) activity in red kidney beans has been determined. Heating presoaked
beans at 100°C for 15 min or at 80°C for 2 hr, or pressure cooking (15 psi)
foi 45 min without presoaking, decreased the hemagglutinin activity to below
detectable levels. At 65°C, no significant decrease was observed even after
12 hr heat treatment. Commercially canned beans have lectin levels similar
to beans pressure cooked for 30 min."

Note even on 'low' a crockpot will exceed 80c for more than 2 hours here
since the cooking time for kidney beans is 8 hours on low of which it will
be a simmering by 2 hours for the next 6.

>> The incorrect part isn't
>> the beans but about how crockpots function and especially modern ones.
>> There are many foods that have to be cooked before they are safe to eat.

> There is no mention in the above article of crockpots. Some people
> (like me) have really old crockpots. Others have defective crockpots.

The wiki brings in crockpots in an innacurate to modern form.

Sadly some folks think 'because it's on the internet it must be true'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> something else to consider is the texture of the beans. some get just
> mushy quicker than others, pinto beans are nice because they tend to
> flavor the broth and thicken it without totally disintregrating, Lee

Interesting! Today when I went shopping, the only dried beans i saw were
black eyes peas, or red kidney beans.

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> "Ophelia" wrote

>>> About like the difference between beef and pork! (grin).

>> Ahhhhh)
>>
>>> Seriously, for a bean afficianado there's a big difference but for basic
>>> consumption they come in sets of comon flavor relations.

>> OK, but not being a bean afficianado..... I cooked my first been
>> dish (ever) yesterday... so please bear with me, but we loved them and so
>> I am very willing to learn Anything you can teach me will be very
>> welcome.
>>

>>> Pinto/dark red kidney shaped beans
>>> Red/pink beans
>>> white beans (many names and types, navy beans is a common one)
>>> Black eyed peas
>>> Black beans
>>> Aduki sweet beans
>>>
>>> Read the list and they are in order of relative flavor so that the
>>> pinto's nearest flavor match is the red/pink which in turn next matches
>>> closest to the white navy and so on down. The aduki don't totally fit
>>> nor would mung beans as they have more to do with the traditional fixing
>>> methods.

>> Thank you I shall keep a note and learn about them!
>>
>> --
>> --
>>
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> True! It's a more popular food item in the states (and Canada according
> to my friend who lives in Yellowknife) so we can _normally_ find at least
> 4 types of dried ones even in small rural areas. Doesn't mean there may
> not be some spots this side of the pond where that isn't true but largely
> it's a common thing. Regular stores here where I live have all of that
> list plus a few others. You'll usually also see dried lentils and dried
> split peas (yellow and green) here in the same area.

Today I saw only black eyed peas, red kidney beans and lentils (dried)!

> Once you get some, describe them to me (ping cshenk works since this
> thread will probably be gone by then) and i can give recipes. Yes (grin)
> in metric.

Metric, shmetric.. I am still in pounds and ounces lol

Tell me your preferred cooking device and I'll adapt to that. If
> it's a 'slow cooker' let me know for sure which type you have and the
> relative size. As you'll see elsewhere, there's quite a bit of variation
> in 'slow cookers' and you may be calling yours a 'dutch oven' even due to
> some differences in how we refer to cooking gear.

This is my slow cooker:

http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/Prod...?Product=48724

I don't use it for everything though. I am happy cooking in my oven or in
my cast iron pan on the stove.

> Cool. You can pre-boil the beans for 10-15 mins if you like on the
> stovetop first. Some people also like to soak in hot water overnight with
> one or 2 changes of water. This pre-soak is reputed to reduce flatulance.
> Fact is that most folks who eat beans pretty regular don't have that
> problem. The body 'adjusts'. I don't pre-boil or pre-soak any type of
> dried beans but then we have them at the ready in a crockpot almost all
> the time in one version or other

Well, I haven't found many dried beans yet, so until I can go into the city,
I will stick with canned.

> I tend to avoid pintos and kidneys as they take longer to cook and aren't
> as happy with extended cooking to my mind, having a relatively short
> 'perfect' stage then a 'rapid' decline to mush in a way that doesn't suit
> us as well as other types. By 'rapid' here you'd have to know my version
> of that which is a crockpot of bean 'soup' started on high for 4 hours
> then reduced to low for 3-4 days. 'Something is always in there' for a
> hungry person. Alternatives are to shift the liner to the fridge overnight
> or even decant the contents and store in the fridge once 'done' and remove
> portions at need for rewarming.

Since the children grew up and left home, I am cooking for just two of us
(until they descend with all the grandchildren you understand, when all bets
are off

> No problem! Oh to clarify, 'lowest setting' here means lowest *cooking*
> setting, as you may also have one called 'warm'. There's nothing wrong
> with 'warm'

I never used 'warm' because I assumed that was meant to keep it warm once
the food was already cooked.

if it's a food that pretty much can't spoil (no meat etc) after it's
> fully cooked, but use caution is keeping it at that for more than an hour
> or so if there's anything that can 'go bad'. The 'warm' temperature is
> normally below simmer and intended more for short periods such as when we
> have our potluck gatherings here in my screened porch. Consider it the
> equal of the classic chafing dish with a tea candle under it.

Yep)))

> Got it, a classic perfect meat for the beans is the lardons. The smoked
> ham works also very well. Alternatives abound and a popular one is a
> whole smoked 'hamhock' (pig foot) but you may find that a bit fattier than
> you like. Not sure. Cured hogjowls are fantastic but it's from my
> understanding more of a local product related to virginia 'salt cured
> hams' (lots of black pepper and salt, almost jerky level dehydration).
>
> Hehe I get you on the spicy. I like some spice but 'hot just to be hot'
> doesnt appeal to me, especially with beans.
>
>> All your points noted and saved
>> Many thanks

> Grin, sometimes talking to someone who knows an item well, can be helpful.
> Fun on both ends!

Well I am certainly taking all our advice and comments on board)

Thank you)))))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 May 2011 11:27:19 +0100, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> "Beans, beans, the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you
>>> toot.".

>> LOL I've heard that before and I do know what 'toot' means)

> So now you know where "Toot"sie Rolls some from, too.

lol well.... that IS new to me)))))))))

Hmmm please tell me what a tootsie roll is.. exactly... <g>

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message >

> I have one quart of lamb fat, one of pure pork, and a frozen bag of
> chicken fat pucks from rendering chicken skins. I only get 5-7 ounced
> of the chicken fat at a time so I pour the fat into a flat glass and
> freeze it, then that fat just pops out and the puck goes into plastic
> bag.
>
> I don't save bacon/sausage grease. I don't like cooking with those at
> all.

Of course you don't like it if you insist on calling it "grease"! Call it
"fat" as you do with lamb, pork and chicken, and it will be much more
acceptable.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 May 2011 12:48:17 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Dan Abel" wrote,
>> "cshenk" wrote:
>>> "Sqwertz" wrote

>> No fatalities have been reported. No cases have been reported in the
>> US. Some people got really sick (time in the hospital) in the UK.

>Correct. Thats what even wikipedia says.
>
>>> All he did was copy an innaccurate wikipedia page.

>> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....tb14831.x/abs
>> tract
>>
>> That's not Wikipedia. That's "Journal of Food Science". It wasn't
>> Bryan who mentioned a Wikipedia page.

>Your link doesn't resolve until you add the 'tract' which came over broken
>but the text from Bryan was identical to the wiki article.
>
>Your article "The effect of temperature in destroying the hemagglutinin
>(lectin) activity in red kidney beans has been determined. Heating presoaked
>beans at 100°C for 15 min or at 80°C for 2 hr, or pressure cooking (15 psi)
>foi 45 min without presoaking, decreased the hemagglutinin activity to below
>detectable levels. At 65°C, no significant decrease was observed even after
>12 hr heat treatment. Commercially canned beans have lectin levels similar
>to beans pressure cooked for 30 min."
>
>Note even on 'low' a crockpot will exceed 80c for more than 2 hours here
>since the cooking time for kidney beans is 8 hours on low of which it will
>be a simmering by 2 hours for the next 6.
>
>>> The incorrect part isn't
>>> the beans but about how crockpots function and especially modern ones.
>>> There are many foods that have to be cooked before they are safe to eat.

>> There is no mention in the above article of crockpots. Some people
>> (like me) have really old crockpots. Others have defective crockpots.

>The wiki brings in crockpots in an innacurate to modern form.
>
>Sadly some folks think 'because it's on the internet it must be true'.

No attack on your crock pots was intended. Surely the import of the
information is that kidney beans can make you ill if cooked at an
improper temperature. That crock pots were mentioned as a way of this
occurring was simply a heads up. As Dan says, many people have very
old crock pots so saying that new crock pots heat at different
temperatures dilutes the important part of the message.
And no, I don't believe everything I read on the Internet. If you
meant me, come out and say so instead of copping out on 'some folks.'
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/F.../ucm071092.htm

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Janet Bostwick" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote:
>>>"Bryan" wrote

>>>Bryan, you are a bit of an idiot but try to make it less obvious ok?

>> Take a look at the Wiki article on beans, specifically kidney beans.
>> Perhaps the article is incorrect?

> The article I saw references a temp below that of the low setting on a
> crockpot. The low setting is above 100F in the article.
>
> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9140202AAfyGME

From what I have read, all you have to do is put the beans on the stove and
bring to a boil. You then have to boil them for maybe a minute. And then
you can put them safely in the Crock-Pot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> On Sun, 1 May 2011 16:22:41 -0400, Felice wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message >
>>
>>> I have one quart of lamb fat, one of pure pork, and a frozen bag of
>>> chicken fat pucks from rendering chicken skins. I only get 5-7
>>> ounced of the chicken fat at a time so I pour the fat into a flat
>>> glass and freeze it, then that fat just pops out and the puck goes
>>> into plastic bag.
>>>
>>> I don't save bacon/sausage grease. I don't like cooking with those
>>> at all.

>> Of course you don't like it if you insist on calling it "grease"!
>> Call it "fat" as you do with lamb, pork and chicken, and it will be
>> much more acceptable.

> "Grease" I consider a byproduct for cooking something else. Fat (and
> Lard), OTOH is something I carefully trim/render/buy specifically for
> use in cooking.
>
> e.g. Bacon fat is the fat trimmed from uncooked bacon. Bacon grease
> is what's left-over after you cook the bacon. At least that's my
> definition. Most people here do refer to leftover bacon grease as
> just that - Bacon grease.

Point taken on the difference between bacon fat and bacon grease. How about
if we call the bacon grease "drippings"?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > The article I saw references a temp below that of the low setting on a
> > crockpot. The low setting is above 100F in the article.
> >
> > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9140202AAfyGME

The companies that make slow cookers really don't want to tell you what
temperatures they reach. The cookers produce very little heat and don't
have a thermostat. There are just too many factors involved, and your
average user can't be expected to understand them all.

> From what I have read, all you have to do is put the beans on the stove and
> bring to a boil. You then have to boil them for maybe a minute. And then
> you can put them safely in the Crock-Pot.

To be really anal, what *I* read was that the people who got really sick
ate soaked but uncooked beans. It just takes 4 or 5 beans to make you
sick. The advice was to bring SOAKED beans to the boil and keep them
boiling for fifteen minutes. This will reduce toxins to levels that
cannot be detected. Once the toxins are destroyed you can cook them
however you desire, as far as the toxins are concerned.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
b.com...

> On 30-Apr-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> I am new to bean cookery. I was just asking...
>> What is the difference between pinto beans and others?
>> --
>> --

> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
> other bean.

That's a rather vague description, Randy. Not all beans are alike.

Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles on
them. They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long slow
cooking. Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender (mashable)
then you use them to make refried beans. And for that you'll need lard or
other fat. Because you have to boil them first, then mash them and fry
them. And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush they serve in
U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili powders/spices to
them first.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 May 2011 18:32:07 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> something else to consider is the texture of the beans. some get just
>> mushy quicker than others, pinto beans are nice because they tend to
>> flavor the broth and thicken it without totally disintregrating, Lee

>Interesting! Today when I went shopping, the only dried beans i saw were
>black eyes peas, or red kidney beans.

>>> Ahhhhh)

>>> OK, but not being a bean afficianado..... I cooked my first been
>>> dish (ever) yesterday... so please bear with me, but we loved them and so
>>> I am very willing to learn Anything you can teach me will be very
>>> welcome.

>>> Thank you I shall keep a note and learn about them!
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

>--

Main Entryinto bean
Function:noun
Date:1913

: a mottled kidney bean that is grown for food and for stock feed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 May 2011 17:47:45 -0400, Felice wrote:

>>> "Grease" I consider a byproduct for cooking something else. Fat (and
>>> Lard), OTOH is something I carefully trim/render/buy specifically for
>>> use in cooking.
>>>
>>> e.g. Bacon fat is the fat trimmed from uncooked bacon. Bacon grease
>>> is what's left-over after you cook the bacon. At least that's my
>>> definition. Most people here do refer to leftover bacon grease as
>>> just that - Bacon grease.

>> Point taken on the difference between bacon fat and bacon grease. How
>> about
>> if we call the bacon grease "drippings"?

> Doesn't matter. The name of something does not make it any more
> palatable for me (despite what the marketing people think). Ypu can
> call it Liquid Pork Supreme for all I care :-)

Could just be what you grew up on. My mom had a jar that she put the
drippings in but she never reused them for anything. I grew up eating a
pretty low fat diet and that's what I'm used to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 May 2011 14:53:54 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 1 May 2011 11:27:19 +0100, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> "Beans, beans, the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you
>>> toot.".

>> LOL I've heard that before and I do know what 'toot' means)

>So now you know where "Toot"sie Rolls some from, too.
>
>-sw

>>> "Beans, beans, the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you root,

And then your ready for another meal......
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>> > The article I saw references a temp below that of the low setting on a
>> > crockpot. The low setting is above 100F in the article.
>> >
>> > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9140202AAfyGME

> The companies that make slow cookers really don't want to tell you what
> temperatures they reach. The cookers produce very little heat and don't
> have a thermostat. There are just too many factors involved, and your
> average user can't be expected to understand them all.
>
>> From what I have read, all you have to do is put the beans on the stove
>> and
>> bring to a boil. You then have to boil them for maybe a minute. And
>> then
>> you can put them safely in the Crock-Pot.

> To be really anal, what *I* read was that the people who got really sick
> ate soaked but uncooked beans. It just takes 4 or 5 beans to make you
> sick. The advice was to bring SOAKED beans to the boil and keep them
> boiling for fifteen minutes. This will reduce toxins to levels that
> cannot be detected. Once the toxins are destroyed you can cook them
> however you desire, as far as the toxins are concerned.

That could be too. I do not cook beans in the Crock-Pot. I might make them
in there after I have cooked them on the stove, but mostly these days I use
canned.

When I was a raw vegan, I did see many people talk about this online. Some
of them seemed to think that they could eat pretty much anything raw so long
as it was vegan. Yes, some legumes can be sprouted. I have eaten spouted
peas, lentils and chickpeas. I like them all. The mung bean is probably
the most commonly sprouted and one that I don't care for very well. Once in
a while I will put a few in a stir fry but I don't care for eating them raw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 May 2011 15:17:38 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> I don't remember the name of it, but there _is_ actually a toxin
>present in kidney beans that requires them to be boiled for 10 minutes
>before other cooking (possibly even draining the water from boiling) to
>remove it/neutralize it.
>
>Regards,
>Ranee

this is what you're talking about Ranée:

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/fo...an-toxins.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 5:14*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Ophelia" > wrote:
> > Are these beans left over from baked beans? *

> * *They are actually a misnomer. *They are not re-fried, they are
> re-cooked: *refritos. *However, they do use up leftover beans from other
> dishes. *I often do so with leftovers from ranchero beans, but sometimes
> I will cook up a pot of beans entirely with the plan to make refried
> beans.

When I was 21, I moved in with my sister for a couple years. She
always had mashed up pintos in the fridge. We'd re-cook them several
times before we ran out, and they got better each time. They were a
staple for her, her kids and me. As long as they don't get burned, it
seems like beans just keep improving the more times they're re-
simmered.

> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 6:31*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> > In article >,

> > The companies that make slow cookers really don't want to tell you what
> > temperatures they reach. *The cookers produce very little heat and don't
> > have a thermostat. *There are just too many factors involved, and your
> > average user can't be expected to understand them all.

> >> From what I have read, all you have to do is put the beans on the stove
> >> and
> >> bring to a boil. *You then have to boil them for maybe a minute. *And
> >> then
> >> you can put them safely in the Crock-Pot.

> > To be really anal, what *I* read was that the people who got really sick
> > ate soaked but uncooked beans. *It just takes 4 or 5 beans to make you
> > sick. *The advice was to bring SOAKED beans to the boil and keep them
> > boiling for fifteen minutes. *This will reduce toxins to levels that
> > cannot be detected. *Once the toxins are destroyed you can cook them
> > however you desire, as far as the toxins are concerned.

> That could be too. *I do not cook beans in the Crock-Pot. *I might make them
> in there after I have cooked them on the stove, but mostly these days I use
> canned.

Another person here mentioned the differences in canned refries beans,
and said that the Rosarita brand are the best. I concur. I think
that they are cooked longer than many other brands. Just like with
tomato sauce, long cooking seems to increase the pH of them.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use the pressure cooker to make all my dried beans. There is a
great web site on pressure cooking beans. I would never go back to
boiling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> Another person here mentioned the differences in canned refries beans,
> and said that the Rosarita brand are the best. I concur. I think
> that they are cooked longer than many other brands. Just like with
> tomato sauce, long cooking seems to increase the pH of them.

Western Family are also very good but I know that brand isn't available
everywhere. I alternate between the two brands. I buy Rosarita by the case
at Costco. But sometimes my stock is low and I'll get the Western Family at
Central Market. They are cheap too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 3:57*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
>
> b.com...
>
> > On 30-Apr-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> >> I am new to bean cookery. *I was just asking...
> >> What is the difference between pinto beans and others?
> >> --
> >> --

> > Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
> > other bean. *

> That's a rather vague description, Randy. *Not all beans are alike.
>
> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles on
> them. *They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long slow
> cooking. *Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender (mashable)
> then you use them to make refried beans. *And for that you'll need lard or
> other fat. *Because you have to boil them first, then mash them and fry
> them. *And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush they serve in
> U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili powders/spices to
> them first.

Or you can go to El Torito and buy their nasty already spiced beans.
They had no other version of their beans. I managed to get some down,
but my mouth was on fire, and they put those damn beans inside the
burrito too. The only thing on the plate that was enjoyable was their
corn cake, which was only a couple bites worth.

Most restaurants will happily spice things up by request, but this
place didn't have a non-spicy option.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
> > Another person here mentioned the differences in canned refries beans,
> > and said that the Rosarita brand are the best. I concur. I think
> > that they are cooked longer than many other brands. Just like with
> > tomato sauce, long cooking seems to increase the pH of them.
> >

> Western Family are also very good but I know that brand isn't available
> everywhere. I alternate between the two brands. I buy Rosarita by the case
> at Costco. But sometimes my stock is low and I'll get the Western Family at
> Central Market. They are cheap too!

Western Family is a wholesaler that sells to independent grocers:

http://www.westernfamily.com/about/history.php

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Bryan wrote:
>>> Another person here mentioned the differences in canned refries
>>> beans, and said that the Rosarita brand are the best. I concur. I
>>> think that they are cooked longer than many other brands. Just
>>> like with tomato sauce, long cooking seems to increase the pH of
>>> them.
>>>

>> Western Family are also very good but I know that brand isn't
>> available everywhere. I alternate between the two brands. I buy
>> Rosarita by the case at Costco. But sometimes my stock is low and
>> I'll get the Western Family at Central Market. They are cheap too!

> Western Family is a wholesaler that sells to independent grocers:
>
> http://www.westernfamily.com/about/history.php

Yep. But AFAIK in this area, Central Market is the only place that carries
them. Used to be a store when I was a kid that had them. They were called
Prairie Market. It was one of those warehouse places where you would grab a
grease pencil on the way in, put your food on a flatbed cart and then mark
your own prices and put the food in boxes to take home. That's where I
first became familiar with the brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> Western Family are also very good but I know that brand isn't
> >> available everywhere. I alternate between the two brands. I buy
> >> Rosarita by the case at Costco. But sometimes my stock is low and
> >> I'll get the Western Family at Central Market. They are cheap too!

> > Western Family is a wholesaler that sells to independent grocers:
> >
> > http://www.westernfamily.com/about/history.php

> Yep. But AFAIK in this area, Central Market is the only place that carries
> them. Used to be a store when I was a kid that had them. They were called
> Prairie Market. It was one of those warehouse places where you would grab a
> grease pencil on the way in, put your food on a flatbed cart and then mark
> your own prices and put the food in boxes to take home. That's where I
> first became familiar with the brand.

Put your zip code in here and you will get a list:

http://www.westernfamily.com/locations/locations.php

There's a store in Woodinville that carries the brand. I forget where
you said you are, but there are quite a few in the Seattle area.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Dan Abel wrote:

>>> Western Family is a wholesaler that sells to independent grocers:
>>>
>>> http://www.westernfamily.com/about/history.php

>> Yep. But AFAIK in this area, Central Market is the only place that
>> carries them. Used to be a store when I was a kid that had them.
>> They were called Prairie Market. It was one of those warehouse
>> places where you would grab a grease pencil on the way in, put your
>> food on a flatbed cart and then mark your own prices and put the
>> food in boxes to take home. That's where I first became familiar
>> with the brand.

> Put your zip code in here and you will get a list:
>
> http://www.westernfamily.com/locations/locations.php
>
> There's a store in Woodinville that carries the brand. I forget where
> you said you are, but there are quite a few in the Seattle area.

Really? Woodinville is near me. I will look up the store. But still...
Central Market is a lot closer. We do go to Woodinville about once a week
though to the Target and Costco. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am bigoted against black eyd peas so will leave that to others, black
beans are very versatile and have huge uses, everything from soups, plain as
a side, on those nachos, that become a meal with their addition, also good
drained and added into salad, or a burrito... also made like hummis as a
great dip,

Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> something else to consider is the texture of the beans. some get just
>> mushy quicker than others, pinto beans are nice because they tend to
>> flavor the broth and thicken it without totally disintregrating, Lee

> Interesting! Today when I went shopping, the only dried beans i saw were
> black eyes peas, or red kidney beans.

>>> Ahhhhh)

>>> OK, but not being a bean afficianado..... I cooked my first been
>>> dish (ever) yesterday... so please bear with me, but we loved them and
>>> so I am very willing to learn Anything you can teach me will be very
>>> welcome.

>>> Thank you I shall keep a note and learn about them!
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On May 1, 3:57 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
>>
>> b.com...

>> > Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
>> > other bean.

>> That's a rather vague description, Randy. Not all beans are alike.
>>
>> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles
>> on
>> them. They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long slow
>> cooking. Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender (mashable)
>> then you use them to make refried beans. And for that you'll need lard
>> or
>> other fat. Because you have to boil them first, then mash them and fry
>> them. And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush they serve in
>> U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili powders/spices to
>> them first.
>>

> Or you can go to El Torito and buy their nasty already spiced beans.
> They had no other version of their beans. I managed to get some down,
> but my mouth was on fire, and they put those damn beans inside the
> burrito too. The only thing on the plate that was enjoyable was their
> corn cake, which was only a couple bites worth.
>
> Most restaurants will happily spice things up by request, but this
> place didn't have a non-spicy option.

Sorry, but I don't know where El Torito is. I'm pretty sure Ophelia (who is
in Scotland, IIRC) doesn't know, either.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i hit send before i mentioned, making the kidney beans as plain as possible
in a large batch allows for a lot of variety... also in salads, soups and in
a dip... doing them plain means you add the spiced stuff later. Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Yep)))
>

>> Got it, a classic perfect meat for the beans is the lardons. The smoked
>> ham works also very well. Alternatives abound and a popular one is a
>> whole smoked 'hamhock' (pig foot) but you may find that a bit fattier
>> than you like. Not sure. Cured hogjowls are fantastic but it's from my
>> understanding more of a local product related to virginia 'salt cured
>> hams' (lots of black pepper and salt, almost jerky level dehydration).
>>
>> Hehe I get you on the spicy. I like some spice but 'hot just to be hot'
>> doesnt appeal to me, especially with beans.
>>
>>> All your points noted and saved
>>> Many thanks

>> Grin, sometimes talking to someone who knows an item well, can be
>> helpful. Fun on both ends!

> Well I am certainly taking all our advice and comments on board)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

what a wonderful description of how i feel about it, one of my ultimate
comfort food is a hard fried egg sand in bacon fat with real bread and a big
glass of milk Lee

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 May 2011 17:47:45 -0400, Felice wrote:

>>> "Grease" I consider a byproduct for cooking something else. Fat (and
>>> Lard), OTOH is something I carefully trim/render/buy specifically for
>>> use in cooking.
>>>
>>> e.g. Bacon fat is the fat trimmed from uncooked bacon. Bacon grease
>>> is what's left-over after you cook the bacon. At least that's my
>>> definition. Most people here do refer to leftover bacon grease as
>>> just that - Bacon grease.

>> Point taken on the difference between bacon fat and bacon grease. How
>> about
>> if we call the bacon grease "drippings"?

> Doesn't matter. The name of something does not make it any more
> palatable for me (despite what the marketing people think). Ypu can
> call it Liquid Pork Supreme for all I care :-)
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

plain is often more useful when doing a larger batch so it can be dressed up
for each use... i prefer cumen and onions on mine with a sprinkle of cheese
on top,

Lee

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>>
>> On 30-Apr-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to bean cookery. I was just asking...
>>> What is the difference between pinto beans and others?
>>> --
>>> --

>> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
>> other bean.
>>

> That's a rather vague description, Randy. Not all beans are alike.
>
> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles
> on them. They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long
> slow cooking. Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender
> (mashable) then you use them to make refried beans. And for that you'll
> need lard or other fat. Because you have to boil them first, then mash
> them and fry them. And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush
> they serve in U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili
> powders/spices to them first.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Are these beans left over from baked beans?

> They are actually a misnomer. They are not re-fried, they are
> re-cooked: refritos. However, they do use up leftover beans from other
> dishes. I often do so with leftovers from ranchero beans, but sometimes
> I will cook up a pot of beans entirely with the plan to make refried
> beans.

Regardless which beans they may be?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>>
>> On 30-Apr-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to bean cookery. I was just asking...
>>> What is the difference between pinto beans and others?
>>> --
>>> --

>> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
>> other bean.
>>

> That's a rather vague description, Randy. Not all beans are alike.
>
> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles
> on them. They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long
> slow cooking. Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender
> (mashable) then you use them to make refried beans. And for that you'll
> need lard or other fat. Because you have to boil them first, then mash
> them and fry them. And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush
> they serve in U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili
> powders/spices to them first.

Well that counts us out We don't like spices or 'hot' stuff.

Thank you for the explantion I can see I won't be bothering. We like our
baked beans very much and will stick with those for the moment

The description of 'pasty half-mush' does rather take the shine off it LOL

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On May 1, 3:57 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> b.com...

>>> That's a rather vague description, Randy. Not all beans are alike.
>>>
>>> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles
>>> on
>>> them. They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long
>>> slow
>>> cooking. Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender
>>> (mashable)
>>> then you use them to make refried beans. And for that you'll need lard
>>> or
>>> other fat. Because you have to boil them first, then mash them and fry
>>> them. And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush they serve
>>> in
>>> U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili powders/spices
>>> them first.
>>>

>> Or you can go to El Torito and buy their nasty already spiced beans.
>> They had no other version of their beans. I managed to get some down,
>> but my mouth was on fire, and they put those damn beans inside the
>> burrito too. The only thing on the plate that was enjoyable was their
>> corn cake, which was only a couple bites worth.
>>
>> Most restaurants will happily spice things up by request, but this
>> place didn't have a non-spicy option.
>>

> Sorry, but I don't know where El Torito is. I'm pretty sure Ophelia (who
> is in Scotland, IIRC) doesn't know, either.

True

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> i hit send before i mentioned, making the kidney beans as plain as
> possible in a large batch allows for a lot of variety... also in salads,
> soups and in a dip... doing them plain means you add the spiced stuff
> later. Lee

This is something I need to learn. So far (as you almost certainly know) I
made one pot of baked beans!

So, those were interesting ideas, thank you

> [...]

>>> Consider it the equal of the classic chafing dish with a tea candle
>>> under it.

>> Yep)))
>>

>>> Got it, a classic perfect meat for the beans is the lardons. The smoked
>>> ham works also very well. Alternatives abound and a popular one is a
>>> whole smoked 'hamhock' (pig foot) but you may find that a bit fattier
>>> than you like. Not sure. Cured hogjowls are fantastic but it's from my
>>> understanding more of a local product related to virginia 'salt cured
>>> hams' (lots of black pepper and salt, almost jerky level dehydration).
>>>
>>> Hehe I get you on the spicy. I like some spice but 'hot just to be hot'
>>> doesnt appeal to me, especially with beans.

>>> Grin, sometimes talking to someone who knows an item well, can be
>>> helpful. Fun on both ends!

>> Well I am certainly taking all our advice and comments on board)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>> > The article I saw references a temp below that of the low setting on a
>> > crockpot. The low setting is above 100F in the article.
>> >
>> > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9140202AAfyGME

> The companies that make slow cookers really don't want to tell you what
> temperatures they reach. The cookers produce very little heat and don't
> have a thermostat. There are just too many factors involved, and your
> average user can't be expected to understand them all.
>
>> From what I have read, all you have to do is put the beans on the stove
>> and
>> bring to a boil. You then have to boil them for maybe a minute. And
>> then
>> you can put them safely in the Crock-Pot.

> To be really anal, what *I* read was that the people who got really sick
> ate soaked but uncooked beans. It just takes 4 or 5 beans to make you
> sick. The advice was to bring SOAKED beans to the boil and keep them
> boiling for fifteen minutes. This will reduce toxins to levels that
> cannot be detected. Once the toxins are destroyed you can cook them
> however you desire, as far as the toxins are concerned.

Humph! I think i will be sticking to canned red kidney beans!

--

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

they do NOT need to be hot or spicey, and pasty half mush is the negative of
creamy and soft, Lee
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
>> b.com...

>>> Other than size, shape, color and taste, they are about the same as any
>>> other bean.
>>>

>> That's a rather vague description, Randy. Not all beans are alike.
>>
>> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles
>> on them. They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long
>> slow cooking. Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender
>> (mashable) then you use them to make refried beans. And for that you'll
>> need lard or other fat. Because you have to boil them first, then mash
>> them and fry them. And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush
>> they serve in U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili
>> powders/spices to them first.

> Well that counts us out We don't like spices or 'hot' stuff.
>
> Thank you for the explantion I can see I won't be bothering. We like
> our
> baked beans very much and will stick with those for the moment
>
> The description of 'pasty half-mush' does rather take the shine off it LOL
>
> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

beans are a wonderful source of protien and are extremely forgiving, about
the only thing that really wrecks them is scortching, almost everything else
is fixable, Lee

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i hit send before i mentioned, making the kidney beans as plain as
>> possible in a large batch allows for a lot of variety... also in salads,
>> soups and in a dip... doing them plain means you add the spiced stuff
>> later. Lee

> This is something I need to learn. So far (as you almost certainly know)
> I made one pot of baked beans!
>
> So, those were interesting ideas, thank you

>>> Today I saw only black eyed peas, red kidney beans and lentils (dried)!

>>> Metric, shmetric.. I am still in pounds and ounces lol
>>>

>>> Tell me your preferred cooking device and I'll adapt to that. If
>>>
>>> This is my slow cooker:
>>>
>>> http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/Prod...?Product=48724
>>>
>>> I don't use it for everything though. I am happy cooking in my oven or
>>> in my cast iron pan on the stove.

>>> Well, I haven't found many dried beans yet, so until I can go into the
>>> city, I will stick with canned.

>>> Since the children grew up and left home, I am cooking for just two of
>>> us (until they descend with all the grandchildren you understand, when
>>> all bets are off

>>> I never used 'warm' because I assumed that was meant to keep it warm
>>> once the food was already cooked.
>>>
>>> if it's a food that pretty much can't spoil (no meat etc) after it's
>>>
>>> Yep)))

>>> Well I am certainly taking all our advice and comments on board)
>>>
>>> Thank you)))))
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> they do NOT need to be hot or spicey, and pasty half mush is the negative
> of creamy and soft,

Agreed. They almost never are really spicy in my experience, but are often
served with things to add at will that might be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> they do NOT need to be hot or spicey, and pasty half mush is the negative
> of creamy and soft, Lee

lol, ok

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message
>>> b.com...

>>> That's a rather vague description, Randy. Not all beans are alike.
>>>
>>> Ophelia, pinto beans are generally a dark beige with some brown speckles
>>> on them. They're small, rather compact dried beans that withstand long
>>> slow cooking. Once you've cooked them to the point of being tender
>>> (mashable) then you use them to make refried beans. And for that you'll
>>> need lard or other fat. Because you have to boil them first, then mash
>>> them and fry them. And unless you want to re-create the pasty half-mush
>>> they serve in U.S. Tex-Mex restaurants, you'll want to add some chili
>>> powders/spices to them first.

>> Well that counts us out We don't like spices or 'hot' stuff.
>>
>> Thank you for the explantion I can see I won't be bothering. We like
>> our
>> baked beans very much and will stick with those for the moment
>>
>> The description of 'pasty half-mush' does rather take the shine off it
>> LOL
>> --
>> --
>>
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> *Pressure cookers I've heard can be a bit
> tricky with dried beans sometimes due to clogging vent spout? *They work
> fine if you know what you are doing but I'd not be the best one to advise on
> them because I don't have one so all my knowledge is vicarious.

I'm happy to provide any assistance with pressure cooking beans. Here
is a pressure cooker bean tutorial:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/20...mint-bean.html

- don't worry nothing should explode if you respect your cooker's
maximum capacity and follow the manufacturer's directions.

Ciao,

http://www.hippressurecooking.com
making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
Refried beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 05-02-2006 04:47 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 04:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 03:19 AM
Tell me about REFRIED BEANS General Cooking 12 07-03-2004 07:20 PM