Default Tell me about REFRIED BEANS

That mound of brick-colored mush that appears
on my plate in Mexican restaurants......

I understand it's cooked, mashed beans
with spices, and sauteed onions mixed in.

But why lard ?
Why is it "fried".... or re-fried ?
( when would it be re-fried ? )

Do either of these enhance the taste ?
It's not like they're making fried bean patties.

I've tasted ( Old El Paso ) refried beans,
both with and without the lard.....
I couldn't tell the difference in taste.

??
<rj>
chillled

wrote:

> Why is it "fried".... or re-fried ?
> ( when would it be re-fried ? )

I believe refrito does not mean "re-fried," rather "very fried."

Tex Mexican

"chillled" > wrote in message

> > Why is it "fried".... or re-fried ?
> > ( when would it be re-fried ? )

> I believe refrito does not mean "re-fried," rather "very fried."

Please do not misinform about the word refrito.
It is a gringo term for refried.
The correct term is refritas which means "Now fried".

JimLane

<RJ> wrote:

> That mound of brick-colored mush that appears
> on my plate in Mexican restaurants......
>
> I understand it's cooked, mashed beans
> with spices, and sauteed onions mixed in.
>
> But why lard ?
> Why is it "fried".... or re-fried ?
> ( when would it be re-fried ? )
>
> Do either of these enhance the taste ?
> It's not like they're making fried bean patties.
>
> I've tasted ( Old El Paso ) refried beans,
> both with and without the lard.....
> I couldn't tell the difference in taste.
>
> ??
> <rj>

First, the beans are boiled, then mashed and fried. They are cooked
twice. Lard is the traditional fat. Health concerns drove the US away
from using lard In fact, when I was growing up some 50+ years ago,
donuts were cooked in lard. Many places in Mexico substitute other fats
for lard when making their refrieds.

I haven't seen the OEP with lard in them so cannot comment on the taste.
I have had the non-lard ones and they are boring. But when I run into
refrieds in Mexico the difference is usually quite noticeable.

BTW, adding some instant coffee to a can of refrieds will give them a
deeper, smokier flavor that comes closer to the taste of the larded
refrieds. I read about this sometime back in the late 60s or early 70s
and used Folger's Coffee Crystals. I don't use decaf, so do not know how
that would work.

jim
Tex Mexican

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> That mound of brick-colored mush that appears
> on my plate in Mexican restaurants......
>
> I understand it's cooked, mashed beans
> with spices, and sauteed onions mixed in.
>
> But why lard ?
> Why is it "fried".... or re-fried ?
> ( when would it be re-fried ? )
>
> Do either of these enhance the taste ?
> It's not like they're making fried bean patties.
>
> I've tasted ( Old El Paso ) refried beans,
> both with and without the lard.....
> I couldn't tell the difference in taste.

Frijole's Refritas means beans now fried.
Beans are made in bulk by stewing and are
left on the stove uncovered for days.
When you want to eat some, you heat some lard
in a frying pan till smoking and add some beans.
1/2 cup lard to cook six cups of stewed beans is typical.
Heat till boiling and stir, scraping pan bottom, for 5 minutes.
This kills any bacteria present and reduces the beans
to the "mush" you refer to.
Really good now fried beans are made when the stewed beans
are just starting to get sour in the pot.

chillled

Tex Mexican wrote:

> "chillled" > wrote in message
>
>> wrote:

>>>Why is it "fried".... or re-fried ?
>>>( when would it be re-fried ? )

>>I believe refrito does not mean "re-fried," rather "very fried."

> Please do not misinform about the word refrito.
> It is a gringo term for refried.
> The correct term is refritas which means "Now fried".

According to my Diccionario Larousse,

refrito, ta adj. Muy frito, frito de nuevo.

I confess I'm a gringa, still, I'm pretty sure muy frito means very fried.

Derek N.P.F. Juhl

"Tex Mexican" > wrote in message om>...

> Frijole's Refritas means beans now fried.

N.b. The correct spelling = frijoles refritos, which is masculine
plural.

In my opinion, the most accurate translation would be "thoroughly
fried beans." See the second definition below, indicating a large
amount of frying.

Refrito, ta: adj. Refried (frito de nuevo). Over fried (demasiado
frito). Fig. and fam., Rehash: Esta obra de teatro es un refrito,
this play is a rehash. (Larousse "DICCIONARIO MODERNO: español-inglés
inglés-español)

Derek Juhl
PENMART01

>(Derek N.P.F. Juhl)

>"Tex Mexican >...
>
>> Frijole's Refritas means beans now fried.

>N.b. The correct spelling = frijoles refritos, which is masculine
>plural.
>
>In my opinion, the most accurate translation would be "thoroughly
>fried beans." See the second definition below, indicating a large
>amount of frying.
>
>Refrito, ta: adj. Refried (frito de nuevo). Over fried (demasiado
>frito). Fig. and fam., Rehash: Esta obra de teatro es un refrito,
>this play is a rehash. (Larousse "DICCIONARIO MODERNO: español-inglés
>inglés-español)
>
>Derek Juhl

I've been told that in Mexican Spanish the idiomatic preface "re" means "extra
good" or "special"... obviously refried beans are not fried twice. There is no
word "refrito" in Castillion Spanish.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Tex Mexican

Pendco

Richard Periut

PENMART01 wrote:
>>(Derek N.P.F. Juhl)

>>"Tex Mexican >...
>>

>>>Frijole's Refritas means beans now fried.

>>N.b. The correct spelling = frijoles refritos, which is masculine
>>plural.
>>
>>In my opinion, the most accurate translation would be "thoroughly
>>fried beans." See the second definition below, indicating a large
>>amount of frying.
>>
>>Refrito, ta: adj. Refried (frito de nuevo). Over fried (demasiado
>>frito). Fig. and fam., Rehash: Esta obra de teatro es un refrito,
>>this play is a rehash. (Larousse "DICCIONARIO MODERNO: español-inglés
>>inglés-español)
>>
>>Derek Juhl

> I've been told that in Mexican Spanish the idiomatic preface "re" means "extra
> good" or "special"... obviously refried beans are not fried twice. There is no
> word "refrito" in Castillion Spanish.
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Re is used by the many various cultures and people (notice I say this
because your average American/Canadian/Et cetera thinks all people that
speak Spanish are the same thing, and that can be likened to all people
that speak English) of Spanish speaking countries to give it extra
oomph. Refrito, is one of the few words that are not used in regular
Spanish scatology (which I know Sheldon would get a great kick at.)

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

PENMART01

>Richard Periut wrote:
>
>PENMART01 wrote:
>>>(Derek N.P.F. Juhl)
>>>"Tex Mexican wrote0:

>>>N.b. The correct spelling = frijoles refritos, which is masculine
>>>plural.
>>>
>>>In my opinion, the most accurate translation would be "thoroughly
>>>fried beans." See the second definition below, indicating a large
>>>amount of frying.
>>>
>>>Refrito, ta: adj. Refried (frito de nuevo). Over fried (demasiado
>>>frito). Fig. and fam., Rehash: Esta obra de teatro es un refrito,
>>>this play is a rehash. (Larousse "DICCIONARIO MODERNO: español-inglés
>>>inglés-español)
>>>
>>>Derek Juhl

>> I've been told that in Mexican Spanish the idiomatic preface "re" means

>"extra
>> good" or "special"... obviously refried beans are not fried twice. There

>is no
>> word "refrito" in Castillion Spanish.

>Re is used by the many various cultures and people (notice I say this
>because your average American/Canadian/Et cetera thinks all people that
>speak Spanish are the same thing, and that can be likened to all people
>that speak English) of Spanish speaking countries to give it extra
>oomph. Refrito, is one of the few words that are not used in regular
>Spanish scatology (which I know Sheldon would get a great kick at.)

Huh... one hundred words, saying absolutely nada.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Richard Periut

My dear Sheldon; don't tell me you are getting dull on me?

Rich

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Richard Periut wrote:

>>>I've been told that in Mexican Spanish the idiomatic preface "re" means

>>"extra
>>
>>>good" or "special"... obviously refried beans are not fried twice. There

>>is no
>>
>>>word "refrito" in Castillion Spanish.

>>Re is used by the many various cultures and people (notice I say this
>>because your average American/Canadian/Et cetera thinks all people that
>>speak Spanish are the same thing, and that can be likened to all people
>>that speak English) of Spanish speaking countries to give it extra
>>oomph. Refrito, is one of the few words that are not used in regular
>>Spanish scatology (which I know Sheldon would get a great kick at.)

> Huh... one hundred words, saying absolutely nada.
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Derek N.P.F. Juhl

"Tex Mexican" > wrote in message om>...

> Pendco

¿Pendejo? Perdóneme.

Ud. escribió, "Please do not misinform about the word refrito" y "The
correct term is refritas." Si Ud. quiere corregir la gramática, debe
asegurar que tiene razón, para que pueda aprender la persona no
hispanohablante, ¿verdad?

[Obscenity]? I beg your pardon.

You wrote, "Please do not misinform about the word refrito" and "The
correct term is refritas." If you want to correct grammar, you should
be sure that you're right, so that the non-Spanish-speaking person can
learn, eh?

Spanish is not my native language, so feel free to correct any errors.
;-)

Derek Juhl

refried beans Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 219 23-05-2011 10:21 PM
Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
Refried beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 05-02-2006 05:47 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 05:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 04:19 AM