stuffed shells?

Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stuffed shells?

I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
(usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
few shells for a quick and easy meal.

I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
ravioli.

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
eat eggs.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. *I haven't seen dry
giant shells in years. *Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
eat eggs. *

I can eat eggs, though I never thought of them in in this. I actually
have a few left from the last bag I bought. But they aren't even on
Safeway's website anymore. They have other frozen pasta products, but
not ones I like.

They were really great for a quick and easy meal when I don't feel
like cooking. They were also really great for cooking in the hotel
while traveling. I just needed a bag of the stuffed shells and a
container of spaghetti sauce. Travels in a cooler well, and heats
fast.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
(usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
few shells for a quick and easy meal.

I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
ravioli.

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

I'm sure you could find them online. I buy Tinkyada, but they are a rice
pasta.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 9:49*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
wrote in message

I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
(usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
few shells for a quick and easy meal.

I have not been able *to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
cooked (like *Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
ravioli.

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

I'm sure you could find them online. *I buy Tinkyada, but they are a rice
pasta.

If I have to, I will go that route, but I would rather find them in a
store so that I can buy them when I want them and not have to wait a
couple weeks or pay for shipping. I do travel a bit for cat shows, so
I may be able to go to stores that aren't in my own area,. I will be
in Oregon in 2 weeks, and Boise, Idaho a week later.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
eat eggs.

There was/is a shell size larger than jumbo? I've only ever used jumbo for
my stuffed shells. They're plenty large when cooked -- the same size as
I've ever seen in pictures of stuffed shells.

Jinx

Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

I made stuffed shells many times when it was popular, so I can assure
you there is egg in it. I guess you found commercial pre-stuffed
shells that met your requirements in the past, but my memory is that
they come with both spinach and tomato sauce in the package. You work
in a grocery store, so I'll assume you've used your contacts there.

Try this search term to Google "where do I buy stuffed shell pasta in
name of city here? -recipe" without the quotation marks.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

---

Does the filling hold up with no egg in it? Or do you use an egg replacer?
I can't have eggs either. But I can have dairy now. At least sometimes.

I stuff my shells with mashed potatoes and onion then smother them with more
sautéed onion and margarine. I call these faux pierogies.

I used to love the cheese stuffed shells and I've been buying some frozen
ones for my daughter, but they do have egg in them. So I can't eat them.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

[...]

You'd probably have better luck finding them in an Italian grocery. I could
be wrong but I don't think those areas are heavily populated by Italians.
The selection of pasta in NY and PA (at least when I lived there) seemed to
be far greater than here in WA.

I wish I could go to cat shows. I went to one once as a child and loved it!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
eat eggs.

http://www.schwans.com/products/prod...=11452&c2=9434

Very large shells stuffed with 3 cheese blend.

But they likely have egg in them.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

Why not just use manicotti? Those are easier to find, make a better
presentation, IMO, and easier to handle.

Shells are more primal. They hark back to days when only primitive
sea creatures inhabited the earth.

S.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. *I haven't seen dry
giant shells in years. *Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
eat eggs. *

http://www.schwans.com/products/prod...6153&c1=11452&....

Very large shells stuffed with 3 cheese blend.

They look perfect. I have never ordered from Schwans before, but they
deliver in my area. I have requested a catalog.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

No luck on the search. And yes, I actually work at Safeway. At first,
it was just other stores in other areas. I took my sauce with me and
planned to buy a bag while out of town, only to not find them there. I
just assumed they weren't in all stores. But then I couldn't find them
at my store either, and they confirmed that they were discontinued.
What a bummer. It was $3 for a bag of 8 of them. Easy and affordable.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
(usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
few shells for a quick and easy meal.

I have not been able *to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
cooked (like *Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
ravioli.

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

I can get both the filled frozen ones (in my freezer right now) and
the jumbo shells. *Not many stores carry them due to the breakage
factor. *They will almost always be on the top shelf where people and
kids won't be tempted to fondle them (and shake the box just to see
how much force it takes to break them, "Andy-style").

Why not just use manicotti? *Those are easier to find, make a better
presentation, IMO, and easier to handle.

I haven't actually seen them. I confess I do not shop at many stores
since I work in a grocery store and find most of what I want there.
What store do yo get yours at?