General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2010, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,124
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

And here's mine -- I've made it for more than 40 years.

Raw Apple Cake
Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 10-22-2010

Serving Size: 6-8


2 cups diced unpeeled apple
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together apple, egg, oil, sugar and vanilla. Sift remaining dry
ingredients together and add, along with nuts. Just mix it up. Batter
is very stiff. Press into greased and floured 9 round baking pan.
Bake 35-45 minutes at 350.

While still warm, glaze with a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, and
milk.

(I like Boron's recipe with the orange zest - I may add that to my mix
when I bake it today.)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2010, 04:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14,560
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

On 2010-10-22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

is very stiff. Press into greased and floured 9 round baking pan.


How can a round baking pan be nine squared (9)??

nb
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2010, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,742
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:28:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

And here's mine -- I've made it for more than 40 years.

Raw Apple Cake
Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 10-22-2010

Serving Size: 6-8


2 cups diced unpeeled apple
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together apple, egg, oil, sugar and vanilla. Sift remaining dry
ingredients together and add, along with nuts. Just mix it up. Batter
is very stiff. Press into greased and floured 9 round baking pan.
Bake 35-45 minutes at 350.

While still warm, glaze with a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, and
milk.

(I like Boron's recipe with the orange zest - I may add that to my mix
when I bake it today.)


Tit for tat, I'm putting cloves in next time.

Boron
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2010, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,124
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

In article ,
notbob wrote:

On 2010-10-22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

is very stiff. Press into greased and floured 9 round baking pan.


How can a round baking pan be nine squared (9)??

nb


Whatchoosayin'? Is 9" (inches), not 9 squared. How'd you get 9
squared out of that, nb?
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - it's all there.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2010, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,256
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

On Oct 22, 3:54*pm, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
In article ,

*notbob wrote:
On 2010-10-22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:


is very stiff. *Press into greased and floured 9 round baking pan. *


How can a round baking pan be nine squared (9)??


nb


Whatchoosayin'? * * Is 9" (inches), not 9 squared. *How'd you get 9
squared out of that, nb?http://web.me.com/barbschaller- it's all there.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are hehttp://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254


Somewhere in the ether translation your inch symbol (a quote sign)
turned into a superscript 2, as in squared. Not your fault - vagaries
of the ether. (Mine is also 9 squared.)

N.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-10-2010, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,045
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

Barb wrote:

And here's mine -- I've made it for more than 40 years.

Raw Apple Cake
Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 10-22-2010

Serving Size: 6-8


2 cups diced unpeeled apple
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together apple, egg, oil, sugar and vanilla. Sift remaining dry
ingredients together and add, along with nuts. Just mix it up. Batter
is very stiff. Press into greased and floured 9 round baking pan.
Bake 35-45 minutes at 350.

While still warm, glaze with a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, and
milk.

(I like Boron's recipe with the orange zest - I may add that to my mix
when I bake it today.)


When I get back to California I plan to make a caramel apple coffee cake
using a recipe cobbled together from two other recipes. I don't have the
recipe with me; I'll post it some time next week.

I'll also be making apple fritters using Martha Stewart's recipe.

Bob



  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-10-2010, 09:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 106
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

On 22/10/2010 21:54, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
On 2010-10-22, Melba's wrote:

is very stiff. Press into greased and floured 9² round baking pan.

snip
Whatchoosayin'? Is 9" (inches), not 9 squared. How'd you get 9
squared out of that, nb?
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - it's all there.


I see it as 9 squared, too. I wonder if you pasted it with curly quotes
instead of straight ones? Sometimes makes a difference for those of us
not using PCs. I often have trouble with the Windows fraction
characters on my Macs, but I do have a cheatsheet made up for those now.

Loved the look of that apple cake, by the way - I've been looking for a
good, tried and tested, recipe for a couple of years now. Thanks very
much for sharing it!

Jen
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-10-2010, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,124
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

In article ,
"Jen P." wrote:

On 22/10/2010 21:54, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
On 2010-10-22, Melba's wrote:

is very stiff. Press into greased and floured 9² round baking pan.

snip
Whatchoosayin'? Is 9" (inches), not 9 squared. How'd you get 9
squared out of that, nb?
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - it's all there.


I see it as 9 squared, too. I wonder if you pasted it with curly quotes
instead of straight ones? Sometimes makes a difference for those of us
not using PCs. I often have trouble with the Windows fraction
characters on my Macs, but I do have a cheatsheet made up for those now.

Loved the look of that apple cake, by the way - I've been looking for a
good, tried and tested, recipe for a couple of years now. Thanks very
much for sharing it!

Jen


:-) I copied/pasted it from MacGourmet, a Mac-only recipe
management program. I don't know what kind of quotes the
software uses.
I don't like the way it displays fractions, either (in the program).
I still don't like it as much as I liked MasterCook for Mac.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-10-2010, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 106
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes/MacGourmet

On 27/10/2010 16:28, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
:-) I copied/pasted it from MacGourmet, a Mac-only recipe
management program. I don't know what kind of quotes the
software uses.
I don't like the way it displays fractions, either (in the program).
I still don't like it as much as I liked MasterCook for Mac.


How odd! I'm using a Mac, too, so I'd have expected it to show up
correctly. Wonder if it's Thunderbird/people's newsreaders doing it.
*ponders* Oh well, one of those things. At least it wasn't 9
(squared) eggs or cups of milk, I guess.

On another note... How do you like MacGourmet in and of itself (not as a
comparison)? It's one of those programs I'd really, ideally, like to
try before I buy, because I've got a fair idea that - if I really wanted
to - I could make my own recipe database for Mac (I did a half-a*sed one
for PC, but then I got a different laptop and never finished it). I do
have a copy of FileMaker Pro 7 (old, but it's the one that will let you
export both standalone Mac and .exe formatted DBs), but I don't play
with it much. I like Access or MySQL better. Hmm. That said, maybe I
could do a MySQL one.... I've already got a heavily modified version of
CookDojo on my web site and a recent refresher course for MySQL under my
belt...

Whoops... sorry, all those lightbulbs going off. heh

Anyway, just curious.

-Jen
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-10-2010, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,789
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:28:33 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

:-) I copied/pasted it from MacGourmet, a Mac-only recipe
management program. I don't know what kind of quotes the
software uses.
I don't like the way it displays fractions, either (in the program).
I still don't like it as much as I liked MasterCook for Mac.


FWIW, Firefox didn't have a problem with it. Everything looks fine on
my end.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2010, 05:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,124
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes/MacGourmet

In article ,
"Jen P." wrote:
On another note... How do you like MacGourmet in and of itself (not as a


-Jen


I replied by email to the address in the header.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2010, 08:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 106
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes/MacGourmet

On 28/10/2010 05:30, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In ,
"Jen wrote:
On another note... How do you like MacGourmet in and of itself (not as a


-Jen


I replied by email to the address in the header.


Ah, sorry Barb - I do munge my address a bit to try and stop harvesters;
if you could re-send leaving out 'spork', it will get to me.

Thankee kindly!

-Jen

  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2010, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,124
Default Recipe - Seems the season for apple cakes/MacGourmet

In article ,
"Jen P." wrote:
On another note... How do you like MacGourmet in and of itself (not as a


Anyway, just curious.

-Jen


Okay, I re-sent the message with the spork. :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cocktails for Apple Season drinKay General 0 30-09-2013 10:51 PM
Apple Raisin Cakes Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 01-05-2006 07:53 AM
Apple season Jessica V. General Cooking 10 24-09-2004 11:27 AM
Late Season Preserves - Lemon and Apple Marmalade Leslie G Preserving 0 26-10-2003 11:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017