Randy Stoeckinger

Default Cole Slaw help

Hello,
I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet base,
I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe. This is for a big
party at my work, and I have been asked to make cole slaw...which I haven't
made in over a decade. All recipes will be very much appreciated. Thanks,
Shannon

Marge

I usually play it by ear, so to speak, but it comes out great every
time. Make it to your own taste, I usually like the mayonnaise to be
sparing and to go heavier on the vinegar. Cidar vinegar gives it a
nice taste. Also, the golden raisins are sweeter and taste better to
me with all the other flavors.

--shred red and green cabbage (according to how much you need, start
with 1/2 a head each
--grate a couple of carrots
--start off sparing on the mayonnaise, a couple of tablespoons, then
add if you think it needs it
--add cidar (or white vinegar), about 1/3 to 1/2 cup
--add golden raisins, a handful
--add salt and pepper to taste

Cole slaw usually needs a few hours to set, so making a day ahead is
always a good idea. Best, Marge

Steve Calvin

Here's the one that I made verbatim (I even *measured* <gasp>) for a
party this summer. Went over well with the guests. I've made it since
and added some sliced onions, garlic, and fresh ground pepper. It it
was pretty tasty like that as well. (I hope that you don't mind me
posting this Terry)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliams Sainted Mothers Coleslaw

3 cups cabbage; shredded finely
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 carrot; shredded finely (optional)

Excepting cabbage, combine all ingredients and let meld overnight. The
following day, toss all ingredients with chilled cabbage.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Margaret Suran

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Here's the one that I made verbatim (I even *measured* <gasp>) for a
> party this summer. Went over well with the guests. I've made it since
> and added some sliced onions, garlic, and fresh ground pepper. It it was
> pretty tasty like that as well. (I hope that you don't mind me posting
> this Terry)
>

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliams Sainted Mothers Coleslaw
>

> 3 cups cabbage; shredded finely
> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
> 1 tablespoon vinegar
> 2 teaspoons sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
> 1 carrot; shredded finely (optional)
>
> Excepting cabbage, combine all ingredients and let meld overnight. The
> following day, toss all ingredients with chilled cabbage.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

What kind of vinegar? Plain white one? Thank you.

Margaret Suran

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Here's the one that I made verbatim (I even *measured* <gasp>) for a
> party this summer. Went over well with the guests. I've made it since
> and added some sliced onions, garlic, and fresh ground pepper. It it was
> pretty tasty like that as well. (I hope that you don't mind me posting
> this Terry)
>

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliams Sainted Mothers Coleslaw
>

> 3 cups cabbage; shredded finely
> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
> 1 tablespoon vinegar
> 2 teaspoons sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
> 1 carrot; shredded finely (optional)
>
> Excepting cabbage, combine all ingredients and let meld overnight. The
> following day, toss all ingredients with chilled cabbage.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

What kind of vinegar? Plain white one? Thank you.

Jason Tinling

Granny Slaw

1 head cabbage
2-3 carrots
2 Granny Smith Apples

Dressing

Mayo (enough to give a *little* thickness and creaminess)
Healthy splashes of cider vinegar
Fresh cracked black pepper
Kosher Salt
a pinch of sugar, if necessary

I like to make just enough dressing to lightly coat the slaw, no excess
in
the bottom of the bowl when fresh made.

Dip a pinch of slaw into the dressing to taste test and adjust as
needed.

The apples usually add enough sugar (for my preference) and adds a
second
*bite* to complement the vinegar

Jason

CJB

previously in rfc, "Jason Tinling" > wrote:

> Granny Slaw
>

> 1 head cabbage
> 2-3 carrots
> 2 Granny Smith Apples
>

> Dressing
>

> Mayo (enough to give a *little* thickness and creaminess)
> Healthy splashes of cider vinegar
> Fresh cracked black pepper
> Kosher Salt
> a pinch of sugar, if necessary
>

> I like to make just enough dressing to lightly coat the slaw, no excess
> in
> the bottom of the bowl when fresh made.
>

> Dip a pinch of slaw into the dressing to taste test and adjust as
> needed.
>

> The apples usually add enough sugar (for my preference) and adds a
> second
> *bite* to complement the vinegar
>
> Jason

I just made a similar cole slaw tonight with red cabbage, carrots and a
local Northern Spy apple which I bought for the first time this week and
liked very much. I didn't use cracked pepper, but I did use some celery
salt. It's extremely delicious. I've raided the dish several times since I
put it in the fridge.

I'll probably serve it with hamburgers and caramelized onions (if I can
catch one of the guys on their phone to bring home rolls for the burgers!)

If I don't reach anyone, I'll probably serve it with chicken and sweet
potatoes that I roasted yesterday.

I'm hoping for the burgers!

-Claudia

CJB

previously in rfc, "Jason Tinling" > wrote:

> Granny Slaw
>

> 1 head cabbage
> 2-3 carrots
> 2 Granny Smith Apples
>

> Dressing
>

> Mayo (enough to give a *little* thickness and creaminess)
> Healthy splashes of cider vinegar
> Fresh cracked black pepper
> Kosher Salt
> a pinch of sugar, if necessary
>

> I like to make just enough dressing to lightly coat the slaw, no excess
> in
> the bottom of the bowl when fresh made.
>

> Dip a pinch of slaw into the dressing to taste test and adjust as
> needed.
>

> The apples usually add enough sugar (for my preference) and adds a
> second
> *bite* to complement the vinegar
>
> Jason

I just made a similar cole slaw tonight with red cabbage, carrots and a
local Northern Spy apple which I bought for the first time this week and
liked very much. I didn't use cracked pepper, but I did use some celery
salt. It's extremely delicious. I've raided the dish several times since I
put it in the fridge.

I'll probably serve it with hamburgers and caramelized onions (if I can
catch one of the guys on their phone to bring home rolls for the burgers!)

If I don't reach anyone, I'll probably serve it with chicken and sweet
potatoes that I roasted yesterday.

I'm hoping for the burgers!

-Claudia
PENMART01

>Margaret Suran writes:
>

>Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Here's the one that I made verbatim (I even *measured* <gasp>) for a
>> party this summer. Went over well with the guests. I've made it since
>> and added some sliced onions, garlic, and fresh ground pepper. It it was
>> pretty tasty like that as well. (I hope that you don't mind me posting
>> this Terry)
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Coleslaw
>>
>> 3 cups cabbage; shredded finely
>> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
>> 1 tablespoon vinegar
>> 2 teaspoons sugar
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
>> 1 carrot; shredded finely (optional)
>>
>> Excepting cabbage, combine all ingredients and let meld overnight. The
>> following day, toss all ingredients with chilled cabbage.

>What kind of vinegar? Plain white one?

Plain ordinary white vinegar would work best... but celery seed is very
strongly flavored, I think 1/2 tsp is way too much for such a small quantity of
cabbage... in fact except for that puny bit of vinegar there's too much of
everything for just 3 measly cups cabbage... hardly worth going through the
motions for so small an amount... what happens to the other 3/4 of that
cabbage?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Margaret Suran writes:
>

>Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Here's the one that I made verbatim (I even *measured* <gasp>) for a
>> party this summer. Went over well with the guests. I've made it since
>> and added some sliced onions, garlic, and fresh ground pepper. It it was
>> pretty tasty like that as well. (I hope that you don't mind me posting
>> this Terry)
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Coleslaw
>>
>> 3 cups cabbage; shredded finely
>> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
>> 1 tablespoon vinegar
>> 2 teaspoons sugar
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
>> 1 carrot; shredded finely (optional)
>>
>> Excepting cabbage, combine all ingredients and let meld overnight. The
>> following day, toss all ingredients with chilled cabbage.

>What kind of vinegar? Plain white one?

Plain ordinary white vinegar would work best... but celery seed is very
strongly flavored, I think 1/2 tsp is way too much for such a small quantity of
cabbage... in fact except for that puny bit of vinegar there's too much of
everything for just 3 measly cups cabbage... hardly worth going through the
motions for so small an amount... what happens to the other 3/4 of that
cabbage?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Steve Calvin

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Margaret Suran writes:

h chilled cabbage.

>>What kind of vinegar? Plain white one?

> Plain ordinary white vinegar would work best... but celery seed is very
> strongly flavored, I think 1/2 tsp is way too much for such a small quantity of
> cabbage... in fact except for that puny bit of vinegar there's too much of
> everything for just 3 measly cups cabbage... hardly worth going through the
> motions for so small an amount... what happens to the other 3/4 of that
> cabbage?
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

According to Terry, yes just plain ol' white vinegar.

It really was pretty tasty Shel. As for the leftover cabbage
question, I doubled the recipe and it worked. If I had any leftover I
like just steamed cabbage with vinegar and fresh ground pepper.

Actually, I'll just cut raw cabbage and munch on it for a snack.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Margaret Suran writes:

h chilled cabbage.

>>What kind of vinegar? Plain white one?

> Plain ordinary white vinegar would work best... but celery seed is very
> strongly flavored, I think 1/2 tsp is way too much for such a small quantity of
> cabbage... in fact except for that puny bit of vinegar there's too much of
> everything for just 3 measly cups cabbage... hardly worth going through the
> motions for so small an amount... what happens to the other 3/4 of that
> cabbage?
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

According to Terry, yes just plain ol' white vinegar.

It really was pretty tasty Shel. As for the leftover cabbage
question, I doubled the recipe and it worked. If I had any leftover I
like just steamed cabbage with vinegar and fresh ground pepper.

Actually, I'll just cut raw cabbage and munch on it for a snack.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

PENMART01

>Actually, I'll just cut raw cabbage and munch on it for a snack.
>
>Steve

I do the same... whenever I do a head of cabbage I reserve the tender sweet
center portion for me to munch... especially the core. I don't like celery
seed in cole slaw, no onion either, yuck. But I like a small bit of diced
green bell pepper and curly parsley.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Actually, I'll just cut raw cabbage and munch on it for a snack.
>
>Steve

I do the same... whenever I do a head of cabbage I reserve the tender sweet
center portion for me to munch... especially the core. I don't like celery
seed in cole slaw, no onion either, yuck. But I like a small bit of diced
green bell pepper and curly parsley.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
notbob

On 2004-10-22, Randy Stoeckinger > wrote:

> I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet base,
> I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe.

Cabbage-like ruff-age (arf, arf) of your choice.

Dressing:

high-vin content mustard mayo to make it thick can of crushed pineapple,
partially drained ...save juice to adjust dressing... caraway or anise seeds to
freak-out complacent tastebuds*

make the roughage and dressing separately and combine at last minute as
combining the two too soon** will make for limp, soggy, slaw in a
couple/three hours.

*either have reletively fresh spice seeds or pre-soak. Mummified seeds can
break a freakin' tooth, they're so hard!

**I met a girl in HongKong with that name, but that's another thread....

nb
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:32:20 GMT, "Randy Stoeckinger"
> wrote:

>Hello,
> I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet base,
>I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe. This is for a big
>party at my work, and I have been asked to make cole slaw...which I haven't
>made in over a decade. All recipes will be very much appreciated. Thanks,
>Shannon

I like to make it with fresh aioli. Carroway seeds are a nice touch,
tossed before the aioli goes in.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."
Van

For a change of pace, try this Asian-influenced slaw:

1/2 a head of cabbage
2 carrots jullienned real thin
1/2 a red bell pepper sliced thin
A few scallions sliced thin lengthwise
1/2 cup snow peas, sliced thin lengthwise (jullienned)

Mix that up with a dressing made from:

2 tsp wasabi
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp ginger
5 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp dark sesame oil
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

I like the mayo-based slaws, too, but this is just a different taste to
offer.

Van

Sheryl Rosen

in article Woied.172929$He1.118380@attbi_s01, notbob at
wrote on 10/22/04 9:24 PM:

> On 2004-10-22, Randy Stoeckinger > wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet base,
>> I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe.

Well, I usually go with the 2nd Ave Deli recipe for "health salad", and that
was my original plan but I found something at the market today that screamed
out to me and I just had to try it.

It's Pfeiffer Poppy Seed salad dressing! They had 16 oz bottles on sale for
99 cents. And the moment I saw it, I thought "that seems MADE for cole
slaw!" I got one of those 1lb bags of Dole Cole Slaw mixture (it's just
finely shredded cabbage and some carrot shreds).

When I got home, I put about half the bottle (one cup) of dressing into a
big bowl. Added about a 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and about half that much of
corn oil. This thinned out the dressing a little.
I also added a couple teaspoonfuls of Splenda (use sugar if you prefer)

Mixed it together and tasted. It seemed a bit dry, so I added about half a
cup more dressing with a few more drops of cider vinegar, and mixed well.

Tasted it, it needed pepper, which I added. The result is a slightly
creamy, tart, sweet cole slaw that is really the best I ever tasted!

So...cup and a half of poppy seed dressing, thinned with about 1/3 cup cider
vinegar and a few tablespoons of oil. Sweetener optional. In a large bowl.
Toss with 1lb of of that cole slaw mixture from the market.
Let sit overnight.
YUM!

Sheryl Rosen

wrote on 10/22/04 9:24 PM:

> On 2004-10-22, Randy Stoeckinger > wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet base,
>> I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe.

Well, I usually go with the 2nd Ave Deli recipe for "health salad", and that
was my original plan but I found something at the market today that screamed
out to me and I just had to try it.

It's Pfeiffer Poppy Seed salad dressing! They had 16 oz bottles on sale for
99 cents. And the moment I saw it, I thought "that seems MADE for cole
slaw!" I got one of those 1lb bags of Dole Cole Slaw mixture (it's just
finely shredded cabbage and some carrot shreds).

When I got home, I put about half the bottle (one cup) of dressing into a
big bowl. Added about a 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and about half that much of
corn oil. This thinned out the dressing a little.
I also added a couple teaspoonfuls of Splenda (use sugar if you prefer)

Mixed it together and tasted. It seemed a bit dry, so I added about half a
cup more dressing with a few more drops of cider vinegar, and mixed well.

Tasted it, it needed pepper, which I added. The result is a slightly
creamy, tart, sweet cole slaw that is really the best I ever tasted!

So...cup and a half of poppy seed dressing, thinned with about 1/3 cup cider
vinegar and a few tablespoons of oil. Sweetener optional. In a large bowl.
Toss with 1lb of of that cole slaw mixture from the market.
Let sit overnight.
YUM!

Wayne Boatwright

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
:

> in article Woied.172929$He1.118380@attbi_s01, notbob at
> wrote on 10/22/04 9:24 PM:
>
>> On 2004-10-22, Randy Stoeckinger >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet
>>> base, I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe.

> Well, I usually go with the 2nd Ave Deli recipe for "health salad",
> and that was my original plan but I found something at the market
> today that screamed out to me and I just had to try it.
>
> It's Pfeiffer Poppy Seed salad dressing! They had 16 oz bottles on
> sale for 99 cents. And the moment I saw it, I thought "that seems
> MADE for cole slaw!" I got one of those 1lb bags of Dole Cole Slaw
> mixture (it's just finely shredded cabbage and some carrot shreds).
>
> When I got home, I put about half the bottle (one cup) of dressing
> into a big bowl. Added about a 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and about half
> that much of corn oil. This thinned out the dressing a little.
> I also added a couple teaspoonfuls of Splenda (use sugar if you
> prefer)
>
> Mixed it together and tasted. It seemed a bit dry, so I added about
> half a cup more dressing with a few more drops of cider vinegar, and
> mixed well.
>
> Tasted it, it needed pepper, which I added. The result is a slightly
> creamy, tart, sweet cole slaw that is really the best I ever tasted!
>
> So...cup and a half of poppy seed dressing, thinned with about 1/3 cup
> cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of oil. Sweetener optional. In a
> large bowl. Toss with 1lb of of that cole slaw mixture from the
> market. Let sit overnight.
> YUM!

You might not care for this variation, but adding pineapple tidbits would
go nicely with this dressing.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
:

> in article Woied.172929$He1.118380@attbi_s01, notbob at
> wrote on 10/22/04 9:24 PM:
>
>> On 2004-10-22, Randy Stoeckinger >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet
>>> base, I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe.

> Well, I usually go with the 2nd Ave Deli recipe for "health salad",
> and that was my original plan but I found something at the market
> today that screamed out to me and I just had to try it.
>
> It's Pfeiffer Poppy Seed salad dressing! They had 16 oz bottles on
> sale for 99 cents. And the moment I saw it, I thought "that seems
> MADE for cole slaw!" I got one of those 1lb bags of Dole Cole Slaw
> mixture (it's just finely shredded cabbage and some carrot shreds).
>
> When I got home, I put about half the bottle (one cup) of dressing
> into a big bowl. Added about a 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and about half
> that much of corn oil. This thinned out the dressing a little.
> I also added a couple teaspoonfuls of Splenda (use sugar if you
> prefer)
>
> Mixed it together and tasted. It seemed a bit dry, so I added about
> half a cup more dressing with a few more drops of cider vinegar, and
> mixed well.
>
> Tasted it, it needed pepper, which I added. The result is a slightly
> creamy, tart, sweet cole slaw that is really the best I ever tasted!
>
> So...cup and a half of poppy seed dressing, thinned with about 1/3 cup
> cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of oil. Sweetener optional. In a
> large bowl. Toss with 1lb of of that cole slaw mixture from the
> market. Let sit overnight.
> YUM!

You might not care for this variation, but adding pineapple tidbits would
go nicely with this dressing.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Karen O'Mara

Steve Calvin > wrote in message >...
> Here's the one that I made verbatim (I even *measured* <gasp>) for a
> party this summer. Went over well with the guests. I've made it since
> and added some sliced onions, garlic, and fresh ground pepper. It it
> was pretty tasty like that as well. (I hope that you don't mind me
> posting this Terry)
>

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliams Sainted Mothers Coleslaw
>

> 3 cups cabbage; shredded finely
> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
> 1 tablespoon vinegar
> 2 teaspoons sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
> 1 carrot; shredded finely (optional)
>
> Excepting cabbage, combine all ingredients and let meld overnight. The
> following day, toss all ingredients with chilled cabbage.

I think this is real secret... to add the cabbage at the last minute.
Nothing worse than soggy slaw.

Karen
Peter Aitken

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> in article Woied.172929$He1.118380@attbi_s01, notbob at
> wrote on 10/22/04 9:24 PM:
>
> > On 2004-10-22, Randy Stoeckinger > wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking for a cole slaw recipe. While I prefer a vinegar-sweet

base,
> >> I am also interested in any other tried and true recipe.

> Well, I usually go with the 2nd Ave Deli recipe for "health salad", and

that
> was my original plan but I found something at the market today that

screamed
> out to me and I just had to try it.
>
> It's Pfeiffer Poppy Seed salad dressing! They had 16 oz bottles on sale

for
> 99 cents. And the moment I saw it, I thought "that seems MADE for cole
> slaw!" I got one of those 1lb bags of Dole Cole Slaw mixture (it's just
> finely shredded cabbage and some carrot shreds).

<snipped>

I am not trying to be offensive but really, the combination of pre-shredded
cabbage and bottled dressing seems to me to be a guarantee of mediocre (at
best) cole slaw. The freshness of the cabbage is the most important thing,
and if you ever make slaw from just-picked farmers' market cabbage you will
be amazed at the diifference! I can barely stand slaw from supermarket
cabbages. And shredding and "sweating" the cabbage for a few hours makes all
the difference, getting rid of excess water. It's worth the extra effort.

--
Peter Aitken

Gregory Morrow

Peter Aitken wrote:

> I am not trying to be offensive but really, the combination of

pre-shredded
> cabbage and bottled dressing seems to me to be a guarantee of mediocre (at
> best) cole slaw. The freshness of the cabbage is the most important thing,
> and if you ever make slaw from just-picked farmers' market cabbage you

will
> be amazed at the diifference! I can barely stand slaw from supermarket
> cabbages. And shredding and "sweating" the cabbage for a few hours makes

all
> the difference, getting rid of excess water. It's worth the extra effort.

And with as cheap as cabbage can be (10 cents or even less per pound) you
can make a very large amount for not very much money...carrots are cheap,
too...plus the ingredients for dressing are inexpensive and far superior to
anything bottled...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

kfc cole slaw notbob General Cooking 6 20-12-2011 08:43 AM
Cole Slaw Ed Pawlowski[_2_] Barbecue 7 09-04-2011 07:39 AM
KFC Cole Slaw Janis Lang Recipes (moderated) 0 27-06-2007 04:15 AM
KFC Cole Slaw Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 15-04-2007 02:10 AM
Cole Slaw Hu£kingBrute Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2004 05:16 PM