Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cole Slaw

I've been making th is for a number of years now. I drain the cabbage a
couple of hours before adding the dressing.

Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the best
I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the difference
must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave anything out. It
is perfect.

Corky's Cole Slaw
-serves 6

1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
2 med. carrots. grated
1 green pepper finely diced
2 TBS onion, grated
2 cups mayonnaise
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 TBS celery seeds
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper

Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.

Mix together and toss well.

Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> I've been making th is for a number of years now. I drain the cabbage
> a couple of hours before adding the dressing.
>

> Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the
> best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the
> difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave
> anything out. It is perfect.
>
> Corky's Cole Slaw
> -serves 6
>
> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
> 2 med. carrots. grated
> 1 green pepper finely diced
> 2 TBS onion, grated
> 2 cups mayonnaise
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
> 2 TBS celery seeds
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/8 tsp. white pepper
>
> Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.
>
> Mix together and toss well.
>
> Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

drain the cabbage of what? I musta missed sumpin but then my slaw never
got any standin ovations neither. n if ya in texas is it ok to use
them orange haberneros instead of the green jalapenos?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Charly Horse" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I've been making th is for a number of years now. I drain the cabbage
>> a couple of hours before adding the dressing.
>>

>> Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the
>> best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the
>> difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave
>> anything out. It is perfect.
>>
>> Corky's Cole Slaw
>> -serves 6
>>
>> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
>> 2 med. carrots. grated
>> 1 green pepper finely diced
>> 2 TBS onion, grated
>> 2 cups mayonnaise
>> 3/4 cup sugar
>> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>> 2 TBS celery seeds
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 1/8 tsp. white pepper
>>
>> Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.
>>
>> Mix together and toss well.
>>
>> Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>>

> drain the cabbage of what? I musta missed sumpin but then my slaw never
> got any standin ovations neither. n if ya in texas is it ok to use
> them orange haberneros instead of the green jalapenos?

Water. Cabbage contains a lot of water and once everything is mixed, the
dressing becomes very diluted. After grating, Ill let it sit and squeeze a
lot of water out of it.

As for the Habs and Japs, a sweet, mild mannered, Polish boy like me will
have none of that stuff in slaw.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "Charly Horse" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I've been making th is for a number of years now. I drain the
>>> cabbage a couple of hours before adding the dressing.
>>>

>>> Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is
>>> the best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws-
>>> the difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't
>>> leave anything out. It is perfect.
>>>
>>> Corky's Cole Slaw
>>> -serves 6
>>>
>>> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
>>> 2 med. carrots. grated
>>> 1 green pepper finely diced
>>> 2 TBS onion, grated
>>> 2 cups mayonnaise
>>> 3/4 cup sugar
>>> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>>> 2 TBS celery seeds
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>> 1/8 tsp. white pepper
>>>
>>> Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.
>>>
>>> Mix together and toss well.
>>>
>>> Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>>>

>> drain the cabbage of what? I musta missed sumpin but then my slaw
>> never got any standin ovations neither. n if ya in texas is it ok
>> to use them orange haberneros instead of the green jalapenos?

> Water. Cabbage contains a lot of water and once everything is mixed,
> the dressing becomes very diluted. After grating, Ill let it sit and
> squeeze a lot of water out of it.
>
> As for the Habs and Japs, a sweet, mild mannered, Polish boy like me
> will have none of that stuff in slaw.

ahh got it
doing a lil pork this saturday and I'm giving this a try, It looks
pretty good, But a bit of jalapeno or red pepper flakes in your
slaw isn't a bad thing at all.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Charly Horse wrote:
>... But a bit of jalapeno or red pepper flakes in your
> slaw isn't a bad thing at all.

For those who like it, perhaps. It's a matter of taste :-) I'm with Ed
on this.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 05:53:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> "Charly Horse" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> drain the cabbage of what? I musta missed sumpin but then my slaw never
>>> got any standin ovations neither. n if ya in texas is it ok to use
>>> them orange haberneros instead of the green jalapenos?

>> Water. Cabbage contains a lot of water and once everything is mixed, the
>> dressing becomes very diluted. After grating, Ill let it sit and squeeze
>> lot of water out of it.

> Water comes out of the cabbage without adding any salt to it? usually
> it on;y exudes water when the dressing is added (which contains salt).
>
> -sw

I grate it fairly fine so, yes, some water comes out. Salt helps, but I
tried it once and it was too salty (for us) in the end.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Ed Pawlowski > spewed forth:
> "Charly Horse" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I've been making th is for a number of years now. I drain the
>>> cabbage a couple of hours before adding the dressing.
>>>

>>> Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is
>>> the best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws-
>>> the difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard.
>>> Don't leave anything out. It is perfect.
>>>
>>> Corky's Cole Slaw
>>> -serves 6
>>>
>>> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
>>> 2 med. carrots. grated
>>> 1 green pepper finely diced
>>> 2 TBS onion, grated
>>> 2 cups mayonnaise
>>> 3/4 cup sugar
>>> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>>> 2 TBS celery seeds
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>> 1/8 tsp. white pepper
>>>
>>> Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.
>>>
>>> Mix together and toss well.
>>>
>>> Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>>>

>> drain the cabbage of what? I musta missed sumpin but then my slaw
>> never got any standin ovations neither. n if ya in texas is it
>> ok to use them orange haberneros instead of the green jalapenos?

> Water. Cabbage contains a lot of water and once everything is mixed,
> the dressing becomes very diluted. After grating, Ill let it sit and
> squeeze a lot of water out of it.
>
> As for the Habs and Japs, a sweet, mild mannered, Polish boy like me
> will have none of that stuff in slaw.

how bout some garlic.
This slaw is awesome with pork or anything for that matter
I try to remember to pick up a qt when i'm doing some butts.
I think there is something missing in the recipe, because I've never been
able to duplicate it exactly.
Still good, but sumpthins missin'
http://www.kitchenlink.com/msgbrd/bo.../SEP/8813.html

kfc cole slaw notbob General Cooking 6 20-12-2011 08:43 AM
KFC Cole Slaw Janis Lang Recipes (moderated) 0 27-06-2007 04:15 AM
KFC Cole Slaw Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 15-04-2007 02:10 AM
Cole Slaw help Randy Stoeckinger General Cooking 32 26-10-2004 11:51 AM
Cole Slaw Hu£kingBrute Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2004 05:16 PM