Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The curse of unĚhot peppers

Most store-bought jalape˝os are mild. Not just slightly hot, but mild
like a bell pepper. (I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins, they
often have a little heat.) So I started buying serranos, but they are
not really hot either now. Yesterday I bought a handful of little Thai
peppers thinking at least they would be hot. Well, some of them are,
barely.

This is starting to **** me off.

Fresh habaneros, dried chilitepins and chipotles, and cayenne pepper
don't taste right for a lot of uses, even though they are still hot.
Maybe I need to try the Asian and Mexican grocery stores.

Bob

Old 12-07-2010, 03:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
Most store-bought jalape˝os are mild. Not just slightly hot, but mild
like a bell pepper. (I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins, they
often have a little heat.) So I started buying serranos, but they are
not really hot either now. Yesterday I bought a handful of little Thai
peppers thinking at least they would be hot. Well, some of them are,
barely.

This is starting to **** me off.

Fresh habaneros, dried chilitepins and chipotles, and cayenne pepper
don't taste right for a lot of uses, even though they are still hot.
Maybe I need to try the Asian and Mexican grocery stores.

Bob

Raise your own and don't harvest until ripe.
I raised some Jalapenos one year.
I harvested them barehanded, about half a bushel.
For many many days some, of my favorite parts, were plenty hot.
I can kid about it now.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:30:30 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Most store-bought jalape˝os are mild. Not just slightly hot, but mild
like a bell pepper. (I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins, they
often have a little heat.) So I started buying serranos, but they are
not really hot either now. Yesterday I bought a handful of little Thai
peppers thinking at least they would be hot. Well, some of them are,
barely.

This is starting to **** me off.

I think you have a problem with your hot-receptors. As far as I
know there is no mild serrano or thai bird - and no drastic
changes in growing conditions.

I have not noticed any heat reduction in either of those peppers
and I use each of them almost weekly. I've heard this from
several people here (not the first for you), but I just think
you're taste buds are wearing out.

For the record, I have probably decreased my hot pepper/sauce
consumption slightly, while others usually increase it to maintain
the same level of heat they're used to.

Have you tried giving one of those hot peppers to someone who
doesn't eat hot stuff and have them try it? That should be your
next step.

-sw

They breed and grow shippers now days. Low on substance high on
appearance. Like the empty flavorless cardboard California strawberries
that smell somewhat good but you would have to chase me down to get me
to eat one.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

I think you have a problem with your hot-receptors. As far as I
know there is no mild serrano or thai bird - and no drastic
changes in growing conditions.

I have not noticed any heat reduction in either of those peppers
and I use each of them almost weekly. I've heard this from
several people here (not the first for you), but I just think
you're taste buds are wearing out.

Well, I have also run across mild serranos, and I know my heat receptors are
*not* wearing out because a roasted locally-grown jalape˝o made me gasp with
surprise at how hot it was.

Bob

Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 10:12*pm, lil abner wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

The strawberries my grandmother used to grow were good, really sweet
right off the vine. The ones the grocery store sells look prettier,
but they need to be macerated in sugar for about six hours just to
make them taste vaguely like strawberries. I'd hate to see hot peppers
going the way of strawberries (and tomatoes, cantaloupes, etc).
Marzetti's has a pickled, "hot" pepper that used to be a lot hotter
than it is now. I thought it was just me getting used to them, or
maybe it was a seasonal thing, but now I'm not sure. It's like The
Borg are taking over the produce department, replacing items with
other, identical items, "assimilating" them. They look the same, but
they're not the same.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2010 9:57 PM, lil abner wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

I've had several years in a row of crop failures. :-( Looks like I will
at least get a few this year.

I made a couple of batches of picante sauce last year. My recipe has
5:2:1 ratio of tomatoes, peppers, and onions, by weight. One batch was
made with 2 pounds of grocery store jalape˝os. It turned out "medium"
(I was pleased that it was that hot; the peppers were pretty mild but
got hotter when cooked). The other batch had 1.5 pounds of the same
barely-warm jalape˝os and 1/2 pound of home grown green jalape˝os from
my brother's garden in Houston. That batch will knock your socks off.
I'm going to enter a jar of the "hot" in the county fair next month.

I think the growers are just pampering the pepper plants and then
rushing the peppers to market before they develop their heat. I'll try
some Fresno chile peppers next time I see them. They have to wait for
those to turn red.

Bob
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:57:18 -0400, lil abner wrote:

Raise your own and don't harvest until ripe.
I raised some Jalapenos one year.
I harvested them barehanded, about half a bushel.
For many many days some, of my favorite parts, were plenty hot.
I can kid about it now.

The capsaicin is safely enclosed *inside* the pepper. You can't
get capsaicin on your hands from picking peppers (properly).

-sw

Wanna bet?
It may have been from pulling off the stems afterwards of something.
I can assure you it was memorable.
Some of the peppers may have rupture or whatever. It's been a while.
Properly would be with rubber gloves.
Just breathing over that many peppers will open your sinuses.
They do smell good though.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2010 9:30 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
Most store-bought jalape˝os are mild. Not just slightly hot, but mild
like a bell pepper. (I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins, they
often have a little heat.) So I started buying serranos, but they are
not really hot either now. Yesterday I bought a handful of little Thai
peppers thinking at least they would be hot. Well, some of them are,
barely.

This is starting to **** me off.

Fresh habaneros, dried chilitepins and chipotles, and cayenne pepper
don't taste right for a lot of uses, even though they are still hot.
Maybe I need to try the Asian and Mexican grocery stores.

Bob

Either that or start testing the chiles before you buy them. Talk to
your grocer about it, maybe they can order you some hot ones.

I didn't even grow hot chiles this year, we can't handle the heat
anymore, probably already burned the lining of our throats and stomachs out.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 12:30*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
Most store-bought jalape˝os are mild. *Not just slightly hot, but mild
like a bell pepper. *(I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins, they
often have a little heat.) *So I started buying serranos, but they are
not really hot either now. *Yesterday I bought a handful of little Thai
peppers thinking at least they would be hot. *Well, some of them are,
barely.

This is starting to **** me off.

Fresh habaneros, dried chilitepins and chipotles, and cayenne pepper
don't taste right for a lot of uses, even though they are still hot.
Maybe I need to try the Asian and Mexican grocery stores.

Bob

Hi Bob,

What YOU should be using are Thai grown chillies. If it is hot n spicy
you are looking for, these will almost certainly do THE trick for you.
Just not sure if they would be available in your local Californian
green grocer though.

Kind Regards,
Brian Anasta
Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

Most store-bought jalape˝os are mild. Not just slightly hot, but mild
like a bell pepper. (I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins,
they often have a little heat.) So I started buying serranos, but
they are not really hot either now. Yesterday I bought a handful of
little Thai peppers thinking at least they would be hot. Well, some
of them are, barely.

This is starting to **** me off.

Same here, if this can cheer you up. Only one pakistani-run store delivers
the real deal almost always, but even there I got screwed a couple of times.

Fresh habaneros, dried chilitepins and chipotles, and cayenne pepper
don't taste right for a lot of uses, even though they are still hot.
Maybe I need to try the Asian and Mexican grocery stores.

Dry cayenne pepper is practically tasteless, apart of the hotness, when I
just want hotness I use them, the very small (1" max length) dry ones.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

Most store-bought jalape˝os are mild. Not just slightly hot, but mild
like a bell pepper. (I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins, they
often have a little heat.) So I started buying serranos, but they are
not really hot either now. Yesterday I bought a handful of little Thai
peppers thinking at least they would be hot. Well, some of them are,
barely.

This is starting to **** me off.

Fresh habaneros, dried chilitepins and chipotles, and cayenne pepper
don't taste right for a lot of uses, even though they are still hot.
Maybe I need to try the Asian and Mexican grocery stores.

Maybe it's you... all sensory perception occurs in the brain... did
you ever consider that perhaps the taste sensing portion of your brain
is dead... try shoving those peppers up your ass (TIAD). LOL

Sorry, you gave me no choice. hehe
Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 23:08:24 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:00:05 -0400, lil abner wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:

The capsaicin is safely enclosed *inside* the pepper. You can't
get capsaicin on your hands from picking peppers (properly).

Wanna bet?

Yes.

It may have been from pulling off the stems afterwards of something.

Too late. You already lost the bet. You owe me $100.

And yes, picking the stems off can release capsaicin. But you
don't want to pull of the stems until you're ready to use them.

Properly would be with rubber gloves.

Bare hand are just fine for harvesting jalapenos.

Just breathing over that many peppers will open your sinuses.

Care to lose another bet?

Fresh picked jalapenos do not release any capsaicin or noxious
fumes. Pulling the stems off or otherwise mutilating them will.

-sw

I put up pickled jalapenos every year, I leave the stems on. I dry
various hot peppers too, the stems remain for threading... the stems
are only removed prior to crushing after they're fully dried.

If one is careful they won't get capsium on their hands during
harvesting but invariably there will be peppers with soft spots, that
have split, and have been partially eaten by critters. I harvest
crops with garden gloves, I'm especially wary of the spines on cukes,
I find those far more irritating than the heat of peppers.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:58:11 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

[...]

I've grown hot peppers for many years and they do vary in heat
intensity with every crop but I've never had any that are so mild that
I'd complain, if anything I've had years when jalapenos were too hot.
And peppers have a habit of cross pollinating... last year all my mild
frying peppers were as hot as the hottest jalapenos... I won't be
planting different peppers near each other anymore.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

Maybe it's you... all sensory perception occurs in the brain... did
you ever consider that perhaps the taste sensing portion of your brain
is dead... try shoving those peppers up your ass (TIAD). LOL

Sorry, you gave me no choice. hehe

I just set 'em up. ;-)

Bob, the straight man
Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

i don't often buy fresh peppers, but i've not heard of 'mild' thai peppers,
either.

your pal,
blake

I CURSE you, Barb Schaller!!! TammyM[_3_] General Cooking 13 18-11-2009 02:12 PM
KFC Curse On Osaka Lifted !!! Mark Thorson General Cooking 1 28-05-2009 04:34 AM
The curse of 7 John T Wine 0 12-04-2008 08:31 AM
PB Cookie Curse Christopher M. General Cooking 4 05-11-2007 06:33 PM
The curse of a seven year John T Wine 0 13-07-2007 02:59 PM