Posted to rec.food.cooking
lil abner[_2_] lil abner[_2_] is offline

Default The curse of un·hot peppers

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:57:18 -0400, lil abner wrote:
>
>> Raise your own and don't harvest until ripe.
>> I raised some Jalapenos one year.
>> I harvested them barehanded, about half a bushel.
>> For many many days some, of my favorite parts, were plenty hot.
>> I can kid about it now.

> The capsaicin is safely enclosed *inside* the pepper. You can't
> get capsaicin on your hands from picking peppers (properly).
>
> -sw

Wanna bet?
It may have been from pulling off the stems afterwards of something.
I can assure you it was memorable.
Some of the peppers may have rupture or whatever. It's been a while.
Properly would be with rubber gloves.
Just breathing over that many peppers will open your sinuses.
They do smell good though.