Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I CURSE you, Barb Schaller!!!

<grin>

She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**. Made
my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a flop.
Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But ... OMG.
How it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ... crusty <G>.
I am NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice by slice, with
butter. It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf, and it wasn't very
big, thank my stars and garters :-) And I am going to have to get to
the gym for an hour a day if I keep making this bread. But I tell ya:
I'm going to be the most popular kid on the block, the neighbors are
SERIOUSLY going to benefit from my newest compulsion/obsession.

TammyM, aka FlourFace
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> <grin>
>
> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**. Made
> my first bread yesterday.

I would love just the smell of it baking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> <grin>
>
> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**. Made
> my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a flop.
> Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But ... OMG. How
> it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ... crusty <G>. I am
> NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice by slice, with butter.
> It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf, and it wasn't very big, thank my
> stars and garters :-) And I am going to have to get to the gym for an
> hour a day if I keep making this bread. But I tell ya: I'm going to be
> the most popular kid on the block, the neighbors are SERIOUSLY going to
> benefit from my newest compulsion/obsession.
>
> TammyM, aka FlourFace

My first came out of the oven about 20 minutes ago but a large (1.5 lb)
oblong loaf - I cheated however for the master recipe I calculated and used
1 cup of sourdough starter I have been working with - can't wait to check
the texture - BTW I don't have a stone so I use a big thick stovetop
griddle - it seems to work just fine, at least it has in the past.
--
Dimitri

Mirepoix

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "TammyM" > wrote in message
>> <grin>
>>
>> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**. Made
>> my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a flop.
>> Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But ... OMG. How
>> it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ... crusty <G>. I am
>> NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice by slice, with
>> butter. It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf, and it wasn't very big,
>> thank my stars and garters :-) And I am going to have to get to the gym
>> for an hour a day if I keep making this bread. But I tell ya: I'm going
>> to be the most popular kid on the block, the neighbors are SERIOUSLY
>> going to benefit from my newest compulsion/obsession.
>>
>> TammyM, aka FlourFace

> My first came out of the oven about 20 minutes ago but a large (1.5 lb)
> oblong loaf - I cheated however for the master recipe I calculated and
> used 1 cup of sourdough starter I have been working with - can't wait to
> check the texture - BTW I don't have a stone so I use a big thick stovetop
> griddle - it seems to work just fine, at least it has in the past.
> --
> Dimitri
>
> Mirepoix
>
> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Results on facebook.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:17:02 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>> My first came out of the oven about 20 minutes ago but a large (1.5 lb)
>> oblong loaf - I cheated however for the master recipe I calculated and
>> used 1 cup of sourdough starter I have been working with - can't wait to
>> check the texture - BTW I don't have a stone so I use a big thick stovetop
>> griddle - it seems to work just fine, at least it has in the past.
>> --
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Mirepoix
>>
>> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

>Results on facebook.

Lovely loaves, Dimitri!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> <grin>
>
> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**.
> Made my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a
> flop. Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But
> ... OMG. How it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ...
> crusty <G>. I am NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice
> by slice, with butter. It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf, and
> it wasn't very big, thank my stars and garters :-) And I am going to
> have to get to the gym for an hour a day if I keep making this bread.
> But I tell ya: I'm going to be the most popular kid on the block, the
> neighbors are SERIOUSLY going to benefit from my newest
> compulsion/obsession.
>
> TammyM, aka FlourFace

Yup, isn't it *great*, Tammy...!!!???

I spent the weekend fooling around with the pizza dough from that book and
in a coupla hours a friend is coming over to help me make some
foccacia/pizza bread-type stuff for Monday Night Football...

My results are not as picture-perfect as what the book shows but they sure
are tasty...

Now that winter is upon us I'm baking at least four loaves per week (I give
away three) and I'll be making more for gifts as the holidays approach. I
am seriously thinking of getting a 50 lb. bag of flour (a friend has a
membership at a wholesale/to-the-trade-only place here in Chicawgo,
Restaurant Depot), I'm sure I'll use it up at a fairly fast clip...

Several neighbors have stopped me in the hallway, saying, "Wow, that sure
smells good!"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
TammyM > wrote:

> <grin>

Get in line, Toots. :-)

> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**. Made
> my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a flop.
> Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But ... OMG.
> How it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ... crusty <G>.
> I am NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice by slice, with
> butter. It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf,

Boule is just the name for the shape of the loaf, I think. But I know
what you meant.

> and it wasn't very big, thank my stars and garters :-) And I am
> going to have to get to the gym for an hour a day if I keep making
> this bread. But I tell ya: I'm going to be the most popular kid on
> the block, the neighbors are SERIOUSLY going to benefit from my
> newest compulsion/obsession.

> TammyM, aka FlourFace

I'm really glad you're liking it. A couple friends don't, but that's
okay. We like it a lot. And I eat waa-y too much of it. Eeek. I
baked four small baguettes for the bake sale on Thursday. Three made it
to the freezer, one was ingested by moi while I was making dinner for
us. <cough>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
But I tell ya:
> I'm going to be the most popular kid on the block, the neighbors are
> SERIOUSLY going to benefit from my newest compulsion/obsession.
>
> TammyM, aka FlourFace

LOL, my mother liked to imagine that some of my beaus seemed to time
their visits around her bread baking days too... I just figure it was a
coincidence, but it amused her to think otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> <grin>
>
> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**. Made
> my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a flop.
> Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But ... OMG.
> How it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ... crusty <G>. I
> am NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice by slice, with
> butter. It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf, and it wasn't very
> big, thank my stars and garters :-) And I am going to have to get to
> the gym for an hour a day if I keep making this bread. But I tell ya:
> I'm going to be the most popular kid on the block, the neighbors are
> SERIOUSLY going to benefit from my newest compulsion/obsession.
>
> TammyM, aka FlourFace

Are you buying flour in 25 pound bags yet? ;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> <grin>
>
> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**.
> Made my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a
> flop. Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But
> ... OMG. How it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ...
> crusty <G>. I am NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice
> by slice, with butter. It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf, and
> it wasn't very big, thank my stars and garters :-) And I am going to
> have to get to the gym for an hour a day if I keep making this bread.
> But I tell ya: I'm going to be the most popular kid on the block, the
> neighbors are SERIOUSLY going to benefit from my newest
> compulsion/obsession.
>
> TammyM, aka FlourFace

This is my hobby as well...home made artisan bread is addictive!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:38:13 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> TammyM > wrote:
>
>> <grin>

>Get in line, Toots. :-)
>
>> She already knows. It's the artisan bread thing. **I'M HOOKED**. Made
>> my first bread yesterday. From an artistic standpoint, it was a flop.
>> Looked like hell. But hey, it was the first go 'round. But ... OMG.
>> How it TASTED!! The texture was divine, the crust was ... crusty <G>.
>> I am NOT kidding when I say I ate the whole thing, slice by slice, with
>> butter. It was actually a "boule" and not a loaf,

>Boule is just the name for the shape of the loaf, I think. But I know
>what you meant.
>
>> and it wasn't very big, thank my stars and garters :-) And I am
>> going to have to get to the gym for an hour a day if I keep making
>> this bread. But I tell ya: I'm going to be the most popular kid on
>> the block, the neighbors are SERIOUSLY going to benefit from my
>> newest compulsion/obsession.

>> TammyM, aka FlourFace

>I'm really glad you're liking it. A couple friends don't, but that's
>okay. We like it a lot. And I eat waa-y too much of it. Eeek. I
>baked four small baguettes for the bake sale on Thursday. Three made it
>to the freezer, one was ingested by moi while I was making dinner for
>us. <cough>

How long do they keep? I did some small rolls (early evening), let
them cool, then put them in plastic on the counter, then tried one
this morning; was certainly not idea. - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> How long do they keep? I did some small rolls (early evening), let
> them cool, then put them in plastic on the counter, then tried one
> this morning; was certainly not idea. - Mike

(Do you mean ideal?)
The loaf we're working on was baked on Saturday, I think.
What is unsatisfactory about your rolls, MIke? If it's the taste, I
can't help you -- if you like the taste you like it; if you don't, you
don't. Putting the bread in a plastic bag will soften the crust. I
usually leave the loaf uncovered the first day. I just set it cut-side
down on the counter. YMMV.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" ha scritto nel messaggio

Putting the bread in a plastic bag will soften the crust. I
> usually leave the loaf uncovered the first day. I just set it cut-side
> down on the counter. YMMV.

Barb, we have bread bags that are not guarantees of perfect bread but keep
it a lot better than anything but wrapping tightly and freezing-- canět deal
with that everyday.
They consist of two cotton bags sewn together and between the two layers is
a layer of plastic with perforations all over. There's a drawstring
closure. I slap a piece of foil over the cut edge(s) and stick it in there.
If I ever forget it and it gets mildewed, it jumps into the washer and
washes itself. They make a smaller one for cheese, most of which are not
refrigerated here.
Anyone traveling in Italy should consider these as a souvenir if they like
cheese and bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:
(snipped Judith's description of bread bags)
> Anyone traveling in Italy should consider these as a souvenir if they like
> cheese and bread.

Next time. :-)