Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default The curse of un·hot peppers

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 23:08:24 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:00:05 -0400, lil abner wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> The capsaicin is safely enclosed *inside* the pepper. You can't
>>> get capsaicin on your hands from picking peppers (properly).
>>>

>> Wanna bet?

>Yes.
>
>> It may have been from pulling off the stems afterwards of something.

>Too late. You already lost the bet. You owe me $100.
>
>And yes, picking the stems off can release capsaicin. But you
>don't want to pull of the stems until you're ready to use them.
>
>> Properly would be with rubber gloves.

>Bare hand are just fine for harvesting jalapenos.
>
>> Just breathing over that many peppers will open your sinuses.

>Care to lose another bet?
>
>Fresh picked jalapenos do not release any capsaicin or noxious
>fumes. Pulling the stems off or otherwise mutilating them will.
>
>-sw

I put up pickled jalapenos every year, I leave the stems on. I dry
various hot peppers too, the stems remain for threading... the stems
are only removed prior to crushing after they're fully dried.

If one is careful they won't get capsium on their hands during
harvesting but invariably there will be peppers with soft spots, that
have split, and have been partially eaten by critters. I harvest
crops with garden gloves, I'm especially wary of the spines on cukes,
I find those far more irritating than the heat of peppers.