Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default The curse of un·hot peppers

On 7/11/2010 9:30 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> Most store-bought jalapeños are mild. Not just slightly hot, but mild
> like a bell pepper. (I seek out the ones with cracks in the skins, they
> often have a little heat.) So I started buying serranos, but they are
> not really hot either now. Yesterday I bought a handful of little Thai
> peppers thinking at least they would be hot. Well, some of them are,
> barely.
>
> This is starting to **** me off.
>
> Fresh habaneros, dried chilitepins and chipotles, and cayenne pepper
> don't taste right for a lot of uses, even though they are still hot.
> Maybe I need to try the Asian and Mexican grocery stores.
>
> Bob

Either that or start testing the chiles before you buy them. Talk to
your grocer about it, maybe they can order you some hot ones.

I didn't even grow hot chiles this year, we can't handle the heat
anymore, probably already burned the lining of our throats and stomachs out.