Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane[_3_] pavane[_3_] is offline

Default Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

"cybercat" > wrote in message ...

| "ImStillMags" > wrote
|
| > No long term studies were performed before Splenda
| was approved by the FDA.
|
| P.S.--I think the FDA must be capable of being bought off or something. Its
| main function seems to be to keep drugs people really need off the market
| while approving dangerous shit for our foodstuffs.

I've thought that since the early days when cyclamates flavored all
of the soft drinks. Then there were aspartames, and god-knows-whats,
and saccharine and sucralose and now Splenda, which may or may
not be "natural" sweeteners. My son grew up on cyclamates until we
learned they were carcinogens, then onto controlled sugar, which
at least didn't poison him. This is all, of course, bullshit. We do not
yet have a safe sweetener, but a touch of sugar can go a long way
towards solving the need for sweet without going sickeningly sweet in
the process. The latest is Stevia. Bleah. Just reduce the amount of
sugar you use, over a year or so, then use a tiny bit to reduce the
bitterness in some stuff. I agree, someone is buying something.

pavane