FoodBanter.com

-   -   Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/397211-diet-coke-w-splenda.html)

cybercat 03-06-2010 10:35 PM

Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ...
yet?

Chemo the Clown 03-06-2010 11:00 PM

On Jun 3, 2:35*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ....
> yet?

Nope.

ImStillMags 03-06-2010 11:58 PM

Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

On Jun 3, 2:35*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ....
> yet?

Splenda is different from other sweeteners in that it claims to be
‘made from sugar,’ and ‘natural,’ because Splenda is the trade name
for sucralose. Sucralose is a synthetic compound, which — without
going into too much scientific detail –is basically sugar modified by
adding chlorine atoms. Sucralose, incidentally, was discovered in the
1970s by researchers looking to create a new pesticide. Chlorine is
added to many products – drinking water, for example – and does not
necessarily render the product dangerous. On the other hand, you are
ingesting chlorine, which is not advised in large amounts.

The reason Splenda produces no calories, is that the majority passes
through the body without being digested. Most studies show that only
around 15% of Splenda is actually digested. The worrisome fact for
some researchers is that people with healthier GI systems, will absorb
more of the Splenda, and thus more of the dangerous chlorine.

The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil
Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that
test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken
thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only
short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda
was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is
being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with
consumers as the test rodents.

cybercat 04-06-2010 12:29 AM

Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

"ImStillMags" > wrote

[...] >One could say that the long-term study is
>being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with
>consumers as the test rodents.\

Thanks for this great response. Are you a chemist? I saved it and will pass
it on.
We stopped using aspartame because of the studies that suggest that it is
linked
with brain tumors and strokes. I know it would be better to just use sugared
soda
if I have to have soda, but after years of diet soda, sugared sodas have a
weird
aftertaste to me, and make my teeth feel "dirty."

cybercat 04-06-2010 12:30 AM

Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

"ImStillMags" > wrote

> No long term studies were performed before Splenda

was approved by the FDA.

P.S.--I think the FDA must be capable of being bought off or something. Its
main function seems to be to keep drugs people really need off the market
while approving dangerous shit for our foodstuffs.

Pete C. 04-06-2010 01:45 AM

cybercat wrote:

> It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ...
> yet?

I haven't read anything about Splenda causing any serious problems yet,
but I also haven't read anything about Aspartame causing any serious
problems either.

The only substantiated issue I've read of with Aspartame is it causing
blind spots in individuals who are both very susceptible to Methanol and
also consuming extremely high doses of Aspartame.

gloria.p 04-06-2010 02:07 AM

cybercat wrote:
> It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ...
> yet?

No, but it doesn't taste much better than the other artificial
sweeteners. I'd rather drink ice water or unsweetened ice tea.

gloria p

Dan Goodman 04-06-2010 03:03 AM

gloria.p wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
> > It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious
> > problems ... yet?

> No, but it doesn't taste much better than the other artificial
> sweeteners. I'd rather drink ice water or unsweetened ice tea.
>
> gloria p

To me, it tastes MUCH better than saccharin. I'm one of the people for
whom saccharin tastes bitter.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."

[email protected] 04-06-2010 03:27 AM

On Jun 3, 6:58*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil
> Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that
> test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken
> thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only
> short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda
> was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is
> being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with
> consumers as the test rodents.

It's normal for the thymus gland to shrink when you become an adult.
It's suppose to do that.

pavane[_3_] 04-06-2010 04:35 AM

"cybercat" > wrote in message ...

| "ImStillMags" > wrote
|
| > No long term studies were performed before Splenda
| was approved by the FDA.
|
| P.S.--I think the FDA must be capable of being bought off or something. Its
| main function seems to be to keep drugs people really need off the market
| while approving dangerous shit for our foodstuffs.

I've thought that since the early days when cyclamates flavored all
of the soft drinks. Then there were aspartames, and god-knows-whats,
and saccharine and sucralose and now Splenda, which may or may
not be "natural" sweeteners. My son grew up on cyclamates until we
learned they were carcinogens, then onto controlled sugar, which
at least didn't poison him. This is all, of course, bullshit. We do not
yet have a safe sweetener, but a touch of sugar can go a long way
towards solving the need for sweet without going sickeningly sweet in
the process. The latest is Stevia. Bleah. Just reduce the amount of
sugar you use, over a year or so, then use a tiny bit to reduce the
bitterness in some stuff. I agree, someone is buying something.

pavane

cybercat 04-06-2010 09:21 AM

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
> gloria.p wrote:
>
>> cybercat wrote:
>> > It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious
>> > problems ... yet?

>> No, but it doesn't taste much better than the other artificial
>> sweeteners. I'd rather drink ice water or unsweetened ice tea.
>>
>> gloria p

> To me, it tastes MUCH better than saccharin. I'm one of the people for
> whom saccharin tastes bitter.

Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
and sugar, I really can't.

gloria.p 04-06-2010 05:12 PM

cybercat wrote:

> Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
> and sugar, I really can't.

It has an aftertaste.

gloria p

Nan[_3_] 04-06-2010 06:26 PM

On Jun 4, 12:12*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
> > and sugar, I really can't.

> It has an aftertaste.
>
> gloria p

It has an after taste to me too Gloria. The few times I drink sodas,
it is full sugared. All of the synthetic or molecularly altered crap
tastes bad to me.
Nan in DE

cybercat 04-06-2010 06:59 PM

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>

>> Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
>> and sugar, I really can't.

> It has an aftertaste.

That's what they say. I can taste it with aspartame and god knows with
saccharine, but not with Splenda.

Becca[_5_] 04-06-2010 08:35 PM

On 6/4/2010 3:21 AM, cybercat wrote:
> Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
> and sugar, I really can't.

Splenda tastes like sugar, to me. Some people have an after taste, but
I am lucky, I don't. I found out about Splenda in this group. It
wasn't approved in the US so I ordered it from Australia. They came two
boxes at a time. I later found liquid Splenda in Brazil. I should have
bought more of it home, it was so inexpensive.

Becca

cybercat 04-06-2010 09:09 PM

"Becca" > wrote in message
> On 6/4/2010 3:21 AM, cybercat wrote:
>> Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
>> and sugar, I really can't.
>>

> Splenda tastes like sugar, to me. Some people have an after taste, but I
> am lucky, I don't. I found out about Splenda in this group. It wasn't
> approved in the US so I ordered it from Australia. They came two boxes at
> a time. I later found liquid Splenda in Brazil. I should have bought more
> of it home, it was so inexpensive.

Let's hope it has no truly evil side effects. It is FABULOUS for those of us
to whom it tastes like sugar. Have you tried the Diet Coke with it yet? I
was amazed. I have been on diet soda for so long, I recall that my birthday
treat to myself when I turned 22 was a meatball sub with a "real coke."

[email protected] 04-06-2010 09:09 PM

On Jun 4, 3:35�pm, Becca > wrote:
> On 6/4/2010 3:21 AM, cybercat wrote:
>
> > Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
> > and sugar, I really can't.

> Splenda tastes like sugar, to me. �Some people have an after taste, but
> I am lucky, I don't.
> Becca

There's something about that last sentence that just doesn't sound
right.

Samantha Hill 05-06-2010 02:37 AM

cybercat wrote:

> Let's hope it has no truly evil side effects. It is FABULOUS for those of us
> to whom it tastes like sugar. Have you tried the Diet Coke with it yet? I
> was amazed. I have been on diet soda for so long, I recall that my birthday
> treat to myself when I turned 22 was a meatball sub with a "real coke."

I am having a hard time finding diet coke with Splenda, but I am a
confirmed Pepsi 1 addict. Then again, there is my sodastream home soda
carbonator system and all the diet mixes are made with Splenda.

Becca[_5_] 05-06-2010 09:03 PM

On 6/4/2010 3:09 PM, cybercat wrote:
> Let's hope it has no truly evil side effects. It is FABULOUS for those of us
> to whom it tastes like sugar. Have you tried the Diet Coke with it yet? I
> was amazed. I have been on diet soda for so long, I recall that my birthday
> treat to myself when I turned 22 was a meatball sub with a "real coke."

Diet Coke with Splenda tastes very good to me. Tropicana Twister tasted
fine, and I did not realize it had Splenda in it. When I was a
teenager, I drank Tab, which was nasty, so Splenda is a big
improvement. My Uncle, who was diabetic, would tell me I needed to get
it really cold. Sorry, but that didn't help. lol

This website says Splenda is in over 4,500 products.

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.c...enda_foods.htm

Becca

George Shirley 05-06-2010 09:36 PM

On 6/5/2010 3:03 PM, Becca wrote:
> On 6/4/2010 3:09 PM, cybercat wrote:
>> Let's hope it has no truly evil side effects. It is FABULOUS for those
>> of us
>> to whom it tastes like sugar. Have you tried the Diet Coke with it yet? I
>> was amazed. I have been on diet soda for so long, I recall that my
>> birthday
>> treat to myself when I turned 22 was a meatball sub with a "real coke."

> Diet Coke with Splenda tastes very good to me. Tropicana Twister tasted
> fine, and I did not realize it had Splenda in it. When I was a teenager,
> I drank Tab, which was nasty, so Splenda is a big improvement. My Uncle,
> who was diabetic, would tell me I needed to get it really cold. Sorry,
> but that didn't help. lol
>
> This website says Splenda is in over 4,500 products.
>
> http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.c...enda_foods.htm
>

> Becca

The local Kroger stocks Diet Rite, RC, Coke, and several other cold
drinks with Splenda. I use the Kroger variety, called Apriva, to cook
with, it's about half the price of Splenda and is the same left-handed
sugar. At one time I had to buy Splenda out of Canada as it wasn't yet
approved here, that would be in the mid-nineties.

There are even canning recipes around now using Splenda versus sugar, I
have done jams and jellies and sweet pickles with good success using
Splenda.

Kajikit[_2_] 08-06-2010 11:51 PM

Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 04:21:40 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>> gloria.p wrote:

>>> No, but it doesn't taste much better than the other artificial
>>> sweeteners. I'd rather drink ice water or unsweetened ice tea.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> To me, it tastes MUCH better than saccharin. I'm one of the people for
>> whom saccharin tastes bitter.
>>

>Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
>and sugar, I really can't.

If I bake with splenda, I can taste the aftertaste (and I don't like
it much) but commercially made products with splenda in them are MUCH
nicer than other artificial sweeteners.

I don't eat sweeteners if I can help it because they universally taste
vile, but I don't actively avoid splenda/sucralose.

When are they going to make a yoghurt without aspartame in it? I can't
stand the taste of that stuff!

cybercat 09-06-2010 08:34 AM

Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

"Kajikit" > wrote

> When are they going to make a yoghurt without aspartame in it? I can't
> stand the taste of that stuff!

Dannon Light uses Splenda. I buy the large vanilla no fat ones and use on
frozen blueberries.

Dan Abel 09-06-2010 05:17 PM

Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Kajikit" > wrote
> >
> > When are they going to make a yoghurt without aspartame in it? I can't
> > stand the taste of that stuff!

God makes yogurt without aspartame.

:-)

(or any sweetener other than the sugar already in milk)

> Dannon Light uses Splenda. I buy the large vanilla no fat ones and use on
> frozen blueberries.

My wife got the idea of buying me a big tub of plain yogurt and a bag of
frozen berries (on sale), and I could mix them up myself, fresh each
time. That was a little too tart for me, and I ended up adding my own
sugar (just plain old sugar out of a bag).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Dave Smith[_1_] 09-06-2010 05:19 PM

Dan Abel wrote:

> My wife got the idea of buying me a big tub of plain yogurt and a bag of
> frozen berries (on sale), and I could mix them up myself, fresh each
> time. That was a little too tart for me, and I ended up adding my own
> sugar (just plain old sugar out of a bag).

Try the Balkan style yogurt. It is firmer in texture and not quite so
tart as the looser stuff. A little drizzle of honey cam go a long way
to sweetening yogurt.

cybercat 09-06-2010 06:07 PM

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> "Kajikit" > wrote
>> >
>> > When are they going to make a yoghurt without aspartame in it? I can't
>> > stand the taste of that stuff!

> God makes yogurt without aspartame.
>
> :-)
>
> (or any sweetener other than the sugar already in milk)
>
>> Dannon Light uses Splenda. I buy the large vanilla no fat ones and use on
>> frozen blueberries.

> My wife got the idea of buying me a big tub of plain yogurt and a bag of
> frozen berries (on sale), and I could mix them up myself, fresh each
> time. That was a little too tart for me, and I ended up adding my own
> sugar (just plain old sugar out of a bag).

That is a great idea too. Ever try plain yogurt with just a little honey and
fresh lemon juice? It makes a really nice fruit salad dressing, too. Esp.
with apples, white grapes and bananas.

Doug Freyburger 09-06-2010 07:09 PM

Kajikit wrote:
> [...]

It does seem inevitable though. All of the previous ones that happened
as soon as the patent expired so I expect it when the sucralose patent
expires. I think it's to keep the generic market less profitable - A
bias on mu part probably.

> When are they going to make a yoghurt without aspartame in it? I can't
> stand the taste of that stuff!

I have not seen Diet Coke with splenda in a while. At one point Diet
7-Up had splenda but that was only temporary. I prefer Diet Rite with
splenda.

George Shirley 09-06-2010 11:47 PM

On 6/9/2010 1:09 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> It does seem inevitable though. All of the previous ones that happened
> as soon as the patent expired so I expect it when the sucralose patent
> expires. I think it's to keep the generic market less profitable - A
> bias on mu part probably.
>
>> When are they going to make a yoghurt without aspartame in it? I can't
>> stand the taste of that stuff!

> I have not seen Diet Coke with splenda in a while. At one point Diet
> 7-Up had splenda but that was only temporary. I prefer Diet Rite with
> splenda.

Look for the yellow swirl on the label of Diet Coke, saw some in the
local Kroger today. Also Diet RC, Diet Rite and several other brands,
mostly store brand stuff though. I drink diet DP and it's still made
with aspartame but it's okay.

A Moose In Love 10-06-2010 01:02 AM

On Jun 3, 11:35*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in ...
>

> | "ImStillMags" > wrote
> |
> | > No long term studies were performed before Splenda
> | was approved by the FDA.
> |
> | P.S.--I think the FDA must be capable of being bought off or something. Its
> | main function seems to be to keep drugs people really need off the market
> | while approving dangerous shit for our foodstuffs.
>
> I've thought that since the early days when cyclamates flavored all
> of the soft drinks. *Then there were aspartames, and god-knows-whats,
> and saccharine and sucralose and now Splenda, which may or may
> not be "natural" sweeteners. *My son grew up on cyclamates until we
> learned they were carcinogens, then onto controlled sugar, which
> at least didn't poison him. *This is all, of course, bullshit. *We do not
> yet have a safe sweetener, but a touch of sugar can go a long way
> towards solving the need for sweet without going sickeningly sweet in
> the process. *The latest is Stevia. *Bleah. *Just reduce the amount of
> sugar you use, over a year or so, then use a tiny bit to reduce the
> bitterness in some stuff. *I agree, someone is buying something.
>
> pavane

**** sugar and sweetners. I drink unsweetened lemonade. Haven't
touched sugar in 20 years. Don't need it.

Samantha Hill 10-06-2010 05:53 AM

cybercat wrote:
> "Kajikit" > wrote
>> When are they going to make a yoghurt without aspartame in it? I can't
>> stand the taste of that stuff!

What I did was take plain yogurt and then put an Arizona Iced Tea Stix
packet in it (they have various flavors including Lemonade, but oddly
enough the green tea-flavored ones are very intriguing, and I think
Propel also has drink stix that don't have aspartame in them). Works
great for me. I can't have aspartame because it truly does mess with my
short-term memory.

Samantha Hill 10-06-2010 05:54 AM

George Shirley wrote:

> Look for the yellow swirl on the label of Diet Coke, saw some in the
> local Kroger today. Also Diet RC, Diet Rite and several other brands,
> mostly store brand stuff though. I drink diet DP and it's still made
> with aspartame but it's okay.

Including Shasta and Pepsi One.