Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make chicken fat into chicken broth for soup? Seekingsuggestions.

I made this recipe from Recipezaar:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671

I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
tasty chicken fat that I would like to use to make soup.

My question is this: How does chicken fat get turned into chicken
broth? Is there some standard amount of water that I can add?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 9:52*am, Gold Finch > wrote:

>*How does chicken fat get turned into chicken broth? *

It doesn't.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 10:52*am, Gold Finch > wrote:
> I made this recipe from Recipezaar:http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671
>
> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
> tasty chicken fat that I would like to use to make soup.
>
> My question is this: *How does chicken fat get turned into chicken
> broth? *Is there some standard amount of water that I can add?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You roasted the chicken? First, make a stock from the carcass. The
fat can be used for flavor, but just fat and water is going to be
greasy and bad. Use the fat in potatoes or other stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Gold Finch > wrote:

> I made this recipe from Recipezaar:
> http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671
>
> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
> tasty chicken fat

I think you're fibbing.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Gold Finch > wrote:
>
>> I made this recipe from Recipezaar:
>> http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671
>>
>> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
>> tasty chicken fat

> I think you're fibbing.

Barb, these things can be 8-9 lbs. You bet they have a quart of liquid left
over after you roast them. Not all fat, but a lot of it is. And if the bird
was rubbed down with butter or oil (which I do not do) there would be even
more. I used to buy these things until I figured out that I like the flavor
of smaller birds better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Gold Finch wrote:
>>
>> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
>> tasty chicken fat

>I think you're fibbing.

Well, to a gold finch a roasting chicken must look huge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article
> > >,
> > Gold Finch > wrote:
> >
> >> I made this recipe from Recipezaar:
> >> http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671
> >>
> >> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
> >> tasty chicken fat

> > I think you're fibbing.
> >

> Barb, these things can be 8-9 lbs. You bet they have a quart of liquid left
> over after you roast them. Not all fat, but a lot of it is. And if the bird
> was rubbed down with butter or oil (which I do not do) there would be even
> more. I used to buy these things until I figured out that I like the flavor
> of smaller birds better.

Liquid is one thing but fat is another. It's just hard for me to
believe a quart of fat from a roasting chicken. <shrug> That, plus the
question about making soup from fat (if it truly was a quart of fat)
sounds like someone on a fishing trip. <shrug>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 24, 3:18 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > In article
> > >,
> > Gold Finch > wrote:

> >> I made this recipe from Recipezaar:
> >>http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671

> >> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
> >> tasty chicken fat

> > I think you're fibbing.

> Barb, these things can be 8-9 lbs. You bet they have a quart of liquid left
> over after you roast them. Not all fat, but a lot of it is. And if the bird
> was rubbed down with butter or oil (which I do not do) there would be even
> more. I used to buy these things until I figured out that I like the flavor
> of smaller birds better.

The chicken may have been a large roaster but the recipe the OP said
she made was a crock pot thing. I don't know what you get out of a
crock pot, but whatever it is it's not the drippings from a roast. I
would expect to be able to make a killer gravy/sauce from the
mysterious liquid, but I wouldn't use the carcass and leftover meat to
try to make soup. It's already cooked for hours and hours, how much
goodness is left to be transformed into soup? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gold Finch wrote:

> I made this recipe from Recipezaar:
> http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671
>
> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
> tasty chicken fat that I would like to use to make soup.
>
> My question is this: How does chicken fat get turned into chicken
> broth? Is there some standard amount of water that I can add?

If you took the melted fat off the top of the drippings it has very
little fat so use the drippings. If you kept the fat and the drippings
together it might have enough liquid on its own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > > In article

> > > I think you're fibbing.
> > >

> > Barb, these things can be 8-9 lbs. You bet they have a quart of liquid left
> > over after you roast them. Not all fat, but a lot of it is. And if the bird
> > was rubbed down with butter or oil (which I do not do) there would be even
> > more. I used to buy these things until I figured out that I like the flavor
> > of smaller birds better.

> Liquid is one thing but fat is another. It's just hard for me to
> believe a quart of fat from a roasting chicken. <shrug> That, plus the
> question about making soup from fat (if it truly was a quart of fat)
> sounds like someone on a fishing trip. <shrug>

If you are really interested, you should read the recipe cited above.
It's a crock pot recipe. The OP is obviously a little confused. One of
the comments to the recipe says the liquid makes a great gravy. Just
remove the extra fat first. I'm sure it would make some kind of soup.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2010 6:12 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's > wrote in message
>>> In article

>>> I think you're fibbing.
>>>

>> Barb, these things can be 8-9 lbs. You bet they have a quart of liquid left
>> over after you roast them. Not all fat, but a lot of it is. And if the bird
>> was rubbed down with butter or oil (which I do not do) there would be even
>> more. I used to buy these things until I figured out that I like the flavor
>> of smaller birds better.

> Liquid is one thing but fat is another. It's just hard for me to
> believe a quart of fat from a roasting chicken.<shrug> That, plus the
> question about making soup from fat (if it truly was a quart of fat)
> sounds like someone on a fishing trip.<shrug>

Maybe GF used a duck instead of a chicken? (a frozen young goose would
be even worse) :-)

Goldfinch: Just save it for now. Save all the bones and skin and scraps
from the bird and add them back to the drippings with a couple of quarts
of water in a big pot with a couple of bay leaves, a few peppercorns,
and maybe half an onion and a celery top. Simmer for a couple of hours.
Strain into a big bowl (a tall skinny Tupperware container would be
even better) and refrigerate. When it's cold, you can skim the fat off
the top and discard it, or use it to make biscuits or something. Most
if the flavor will be in the broth that remains. You'll know you did a
good job if the broth looks like jello, but even if it doesn't it should
be good enough to make soup. HTH

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> If you are really interested, you should read the recipe cited above.
> It's a crock pot recipe.

I noticed that, too.

> The OP is obviously a little confused. One of the comments to the
> recipe says the liquid makes a great gravy. Just remove the extra
> fat first. I'm sure it would make some kind of soup.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 07:52:56 -0700 (PDT), Gold Finch wrote:

> I made this recipe from Recipezaar:
> http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Who...t-Recipe-33671
>
> I used an Oven Stuffer Roaster and am left with about a quart of spicy-
> tasty chicken fat that I would like to use to make soup.
>
> My question is this: How does chicken fat get turned into chicken
> broth? Is there some standard amount of water that I can add?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Refrigerate the quart. Tomorrow, peel the fat off the top and throw
it int he trash.

What's left over is the "soup".

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 2:08*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Refrigerate the quart. *Tomorrow, peel the fat off the top and throw
> it int he trash. *

I put it in the fridge and that's what happened.

For the doubters, when I did the original chicken, I kept it in the
Crock Pot for 8 hours, and it ended in a deep bath of liquid.
Actually, the recipe says to cook for 5 to 8 hours. The pop-up thing
was up after 5 hours. I wanted fall-off-the-bone chicken so I went to
the max. So much liquid came out of the chicken that the meat seemed
a bit dry. Next time I'll stop it sooner.

I may try using the non-fat liquid portion, instead of water, to make
rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gold Finch wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2:08 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Refrigerate the quart. Tomorrow, peel the fat off the top and throw
>> it int he trash.

> I put it in the fridge and that's what happened.
>
> For the doubters, when I did the original chicken, I kept it in the
> Crock Pot for 8 hours, and it ended in a deep bath of liquid.
> Actually, the recipe says to cook for 5 to 8 hours. The pop-up thing
> was up after 5 hours. I wanted fall-off-the-bone chicken so I went to
> the max. So much liquid came out of the chicken that the meat seemed
> a bit dry. Next time I'll stop it sooner.
>
> I may try using the non-fat liquid portion, instead of water, to make
> rice.

So shred the chicken and add a little of the fat back in.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:22:07 -0700 (PDT), Gold Finch
> wrote:

>On Apr 25, 2:08*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Refrigerate the quart. *Tomorrow, peel the fat off the top and throw
>> it int he trash. *

>I put it in the fridge and that's what happened.
>
>For the doubters, when I did the original chicken.

There were no doubters. What you posted was inaccurate and a gross
exaggeration. You said your roasting chicken produced 1 quart of fat.
The typical roasting chicken (5-7 lbs) will produce about 1 cup of
fat. A 20 pound turkey may produce 1 quart of fat. Mostly what
cooking poultry produces is water, the majority of which evaporates
into the atmosphere... crock pot lids help hold in heat but do little
to retain water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gold Finch wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Refrigerate the quart. *Tomorrow, peel the fat off the top and throw
>> it int he trash. *

> I put it in the fridge and that's what happened.

That's rendered schmaltz. It has a lot of uses in cooking as long as
you're not on a low fat diet.

> For the doubters, when I did the original chicken, I kept it in the
> Crock Pot for 8 hours, and it ended in a deep bath of liquid.
> Actually, the recipe says to cook for 5 to 8 hours. The pop-up thing
> was up after 5 hours. I wanted fall-off-the-bone chicken so I went to
> the max. So much liquid came out of the chicken that the meat seemed
> a bit dry. Next time I'll stop it sooner.

Pull the bird from the crock and pour the liquid through a strainer.
Then as you pull the meat off the bones put it into the liquid. Strain
again for meat that is not dry and still plenty of reserve drippings.

> I may try using the non-fat liquid portion, instead of water, to make
> rice.

Rice rules cooked like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-04-26 13:56:28 -0700, Doug Freyburger said:

> That's rendered schmaltz. It has a lot of uses in cooking as long as
> you're not on a low fat diet.

Long ago I use to get all my deli-sandwiches shmeer of shmaltz. I
haven't been able to find that in a generation.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
>Gold Finch wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Refrigerate the quart. *Tomorrow, peel the fat off the top and throw
>>> it int he trash. *

>> I put it in the fridge and that's what happened.

>That's rendered schmaltz.

Actually, it's not. The fat that accumulates atop a stewed dish has
no culinary value whatsoever, none. At best it's suitable to slop
hogs/critters.

The sqwertz tosses it into the trash but since I have cold winters I
save it in my freezer to feed wintering birds. But that's not
schmaltz, not even close.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:56:28 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Gold Finch wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Refrigerate the quart. *Tomorrow, peel the fat off the top and throw
>>> it int he trash. *

>> I put it in the fridge and that's what happened.

> That's rendered schmaltz. It has a lot of uses in cooking as long as
> you're not on a low fat diet.

I don't consider skimmed fat from stock to be schmaltz. It has a
much different flavor than fat you've rendered from skin and parts
without being in a broth.

But I guess you could use it just the same. I don't like the "old"
taste to it, though. I get my schmaltz by rendering chicken skins
to the crisp. East the skins and save the fat.

http://i39.tinypic.com/i57nk0.jpg

Can't you just taste the crispness? And they're practically fat
free!

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:21:22 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>>Gold Finch wrote:

>>> I put it in the fridge and that's what happened.

>>That's rendered schmaltz.

> Actually, it's not. The fat that accumulates atop a stewed dish has
> no culinary value whatsoever, none. At best it's suitable to slop
> hogs/critters.
>
> The sqwertz tosses it into the trash but since I have cold winters I
> save it in my freezer to feed wintering birds. But that's not
> schmaltz, not even close.

OMG. I actually agree with Sheldon.

I think I need to change my stance: It is 100% pure gourmet
schmaltz.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> But I guess you could use it just the same. I don't like the "old"
> taste to it, though. I get my schmaltz by rendering chicken skins
> to the crisp. East the skins and save the fat.
>
> http://i39.tinypic.com/i57nk0.jpg
>
> Can't you just taste the crispness? And they're practically fat
> free!

Oh yes! I do that too
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Soup: Organic, Free Range chicken broth. PL[_5_] General Cooking 3 09-07-2010 03:23 PM
cooking chicken to make soup [email protected] General Cooking 14 20-11-2007 01:21 AM
Chicken Broth ULB General Cooking 26 26-10-2006 10:31 PM
Chicken And Broth T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2005 10:19 PM
Chicken baked/roasted - want to make noodle soup Dee Randall General Cooking 5 22-04-2005 05:58 PM