Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef Hash With Deli Meat?

I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
tried it?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
> a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
> sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
> tried it?
>
> Lou

It will work, but the texture will be a bit different. Slow roasted CBB
makes the best CBH, but other variations can be good as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 22, 11:49 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
> a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
> sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
> tried it?

For me, hash is all about texture, and the size of the dice of the
potatoes and the corned beef has a lot to do with that. So the first
concern would be whether the deli slices are too thin. I like the
chunks/dice to be about 3/4" but if the slices are at least 1/2" that
would probably work (though it's more work to get the potatoes that
size. This is one of the few uses I make of a cast iron skillet. Get
it moderately hot, add the corned beef and maybe some butter if the
beef isn't fatty enough. Add about an equal amount of potatoes and
about half as much onions. Now you want to let crust form on the
bottom, which is aided by adding some milk and letting it cook down,
and occasionally stir the crust gently into the hash mixture. Stop
stirring for the last 20 or so minutes to be sure there's good crust
all over the bottom. Then invert onto your serving plate (either
whole or in large pieces with a spatula). Check seasonings (s&p)
several times as you're making this. The end result has plenty of
crunchy texture but isn't dry, which takes time over moderate heat.
It's not a quick hot fry dish. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

> I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
> a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
> sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
> tried it?

If you did not like the hash, it probably won't work. My recommendation is
to try to find recipes for some other dish, there has to be more than just
hash or sandwiches that you can make out of corned beef.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:50:31 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

> For me, hash is all about texture, and the size of the dice of the
> potatoes and the corned beef has a lot to do with that. So the first
> concern would be whether the deli slices are too thin.

Stop right there! *Good* corned beef hash is shredded, not diced. So
if it's diced, it's not good. Deli meat can be chiffonaded, maybe
pulled apart... but if you dice it, you're doing it wrong and it's not
good. End of story, over and out.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:19:59 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
> wrote:

> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> >
> > I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
> > a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
> > sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
> > tried it?
> >

> If you did not like the hash, it probably won't work. My recommendation is
> to try to find recipes for some other dish, there has to be more than just
> hash or sandwiches that you can make out of corned beef.

My interpretation of that was "I want to make corned beef hash and I
don't have leftover corned beef to use, so can I use presliced deli
slices?"

The answer is NO.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:50:31 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
> > For me, hash is all about texture, and the size of the dice of the
> > potatoes and the corned beef has a lot to do with that. So the first
> > concern would be whether the deli slices are too thin.

> Stop right there! *Good* corned beef hash is shredded, not diced. So
> if it's diced, it's not good. Deli meat can be chiffonaded, maybe
> pulled apart... but if you dice it, you're doing it wrong and it's not
> good. End of story, over and out.

I have to agree! I'll have to take pics next time I make some. Corned
beef (usually canned, sorry), cubed cooked potatoes, onions, a few
spices and dad likes it topped with two steamed eggs.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> My interpretation of that was "I want to make corned beef hash and I
> don't have leftover corned beef to use, so can I use presliced deli
> slices?"

I don't think any interpretation is needed, he said directly "I've only made
CBH (which I assume means Corned Beef Hash) once and was less than impressed
with it." If he was less than impressed, why should he make it at all,
whether he has corned beef that is cut correctly or not.

Brian Christiansen

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Decruss View Post
I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
tried it?

Lou
well,you coule try add some tea into your food ingredients.
it's good in taste!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2010 1:52 AM, Brian Christiansen wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> My interpretation of that was "I want to make corned beef hash and I
>> don't have leftover corned beef to use, so can I use presliced deli
>> slices?"
>>

> I don't think any interpretation is needed, he said directly "I've only made
> CBH (which I assume means Corned Beef Hash) once and was less than impressed
> with it." If he was less than impressed, why should he make it at all,
> whether he has corned beef that is cut correctly or not.

Dunno about where you are but in the US corned beef hash is standard
diner fare and also is in cans in just about every supermarket in the
country. It is difficult to imagine an a American who is unfamiliar
with it. Thus one presumes that if he was "less than impressed" it was
not with the class of corned beef hash as a whole, but with his
particular implementation of it.

It is also quite possible that like many of us he grew up with the
canned product being a regular part of his diet and thus anything other
would seem different and possibly disappointing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message

> Dunno about where you are but in the US corned beef hash is standard diner
> fare and also is in cans in just about every supermarket in the country.
> It is difficult to imagine an a American who is unfamiliar with it. Thus
> one presumes that if he was "less than impressed" it was not with the
> class of corned beef hash as a whole, but with his particular
> implementation of it.
>
> It is also quite possible that like many of us he grew up with the canned
> product being a regular part of his diet and thus anything other would
> seem different and possibly disappointing.

I am in Tucson, AZ, and grew up in New Mexico, and I know perfectly well
what corned beef hash is, and that it is available pre-made. All of that
is irrelevent to the fact that he was "less than impressed" with what he
made. Why should he make something that he is "less than impressed with,"
especially if he does not have the correct ingredient to begin with. He
never said one word about if he was "less than impressed" with corned beef
hash or simply with what he made, but if it was what he made, wouldn't he be
asking for a better recipe.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:52:19 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > My interpretation of that was "I want to make corned beef hash and I
> > don't have leftover corned beef to use, so can I use presliced deli
> > slices?"
> >

> I don't think any interpretation is needed, he said directly "I've only made
> CBH (which I assume means Corned Beef Hash) once and was less than impressed
> with it." If he was less than impressed, why should he make it at all,
> whether he has corned beef that is cut correctly or not.

maybe he started by opening a can.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mar 22, 11:49 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
>> a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
>> sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
>> tried it?

>For me, hash is all about texture, and the size of the dice of the
>potatoes and the corned beef has a lot to do with that. So the first
>concern would be whether the deli slices are too thin. I like the
>chunks/dice to be about 3/4" but if the slices are at least 1/2" that
>would probably work (though it's more work to get the potatoes that
>size. This is one of the few uses I make of a cast iron skillet. Get
>it moderately hot, add the corned beef and maybe some butter if the
>beef isn't fatty enough. Add about an equal amount of potatoes and
>about half as much onions. Now you want to let crust form on the
>bottom, which is aided by adding some milk and letting it cook down,
>and occasionally stir the crust gently into the hash mixture. Stop
>stirring for the last 20 or so minutes to be sure there's good crust
>all over the bottom. Then invert onto your serving plate (either
>whole or in large pieces with a spatula). Check seasonings (s&p)
>several times as you're making this. The end result has plenty of
>crunchy texture but isn't dry, which takes time over moderate heat.
>It's not a quick hot fry dish. -aem

Thanks a lot for the reply. The meat saw thin sliced for sandwiches
so I did the best I could. I did what you said including adding milk
and the texture was perfect. I looked at a recipe from food network
that called for whole grain mustard, thyme, and parsley. I think I'll
try it without them next time and with home cooked CB. It tastes much
different to me than deli stuff. It was definitely good but not
perfect but I was happy with the texture.

Thanks,

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 1:13*am, jasminesolis <jasminesolis.
> wrote:
> Lou Decruss;1454985 Wrote:
>
> > I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. *I've got
> > a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
> > sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. *Anyone
> > tried it?

> > Lou

> well,you coule try add some tea into your food ingredients.
> it's good in taste!!!
>
> --
> jasminesolis

Tea with hash? You must be smoking hash!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:04:59 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
> wrote:

>"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
>
>> Dunno about where you are but in the US corned beef hash is standard diner
>> fare and also is in cans in just about every supermarket in the country.
>> It is difficult to imagine an a American who is unfamiliar with it. Thus
>> one presumes that if he was "less than impressed" it was not with the
>> class of corned beef hash as a whole, but with his particular
>> implementation of it.
>>
>> It is also quite possible that like many of us he grew up with the canned
>> product being a regular part of his diet and thus anything other would
>> seem different and possibly disappointing.

>I am in Tucson, AZ, and grew up in New Mexico, and I know perfectly well
>what corned beef hash is, and that it is available pre-made. All of that
>is irrelevent to the fact that he was "less than impressed" with what he
>made. Why should he make something that he is "less than impressed with,"
>especially if he does not have the correct ingredient to begin with. He
>never said one word about if he was "less than impressed" with corned beef
>hash or simply with what he made, but if it was what he made, wouldn't he be
>asking for a better recipe.

You're tiffing about nothing. J. Clark is correct that I grew up on
the canned stuff and I've also had it in restaurants. I've liked both
but the stuff from the corner greek diner's is always better. I have
made CBH with canned hormel CB and it was ok but that's hardly cooking
and I can't stand the dog food smell it has until it's cooked. I
didn't ask for a recipe because it doesn't seem you need much but aem
gave me some very useful tips that turned out successful. All I
wanted to know is it the deli meat would work. As Pete C. stated it
worked but the texture was different. It was mostly an experiment and
the CB didn't end up going in the garbage. Now I can't wait to do a
corned beef and make the real thing.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've only made CBH once and was less than impressed with it. I've got
> a strong 1/2 pound of deli sliced corned beef and don't feel like
> sandwiches again so I was wondering if it would work for hash. Anyone
> tried it?

I would never buy sliced corned beef from a deli to use for hash.
Typical stupidmarket Deli corned beef ain't too good, and is kinda
costly to make what comes in a can already made for cheap... and
Hormel canned corned beef hash contains corned beef as cood as goyishe
crap what's sold at stupidmarket delis for like $7/lb.... but doesn't
compare to the corned beef sold at kosher style delis but costs like
$15+/lb... much to rich for hash... I think both are too costly for
hash. The only times I make corned beef hash is when I make Paddy's
Day corned beef, I always make like 20 pounds (a lotta cooking time
and it shrinks a lot, hardly worth making one measly piece), comes the
end what remains becomes hash. Corned beef I make myself costs much
less than stupidmarket deli stuff, plus my labor. Very occasionally I
get an urge for corned beef hash when it's not Paddy's Day, usually
during cold winter weather, usually when I notice Hormels is on sale.
This is the very first time I heard of anyone buying corned beef from
a deli to use for hash.

http://www.amazon.com/Hormel-Reduced...9376551&sr=8-1

Probably get this next trip:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=194702
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jasminesolis wrote:

> well,you coule try add some tea into your food ingredients.
> it's good in taste!!!

Hello again to foodbanter jasminesolis! Do you mind people introducing
themselves into you? How much tea you think? I buy tea from Cost Plus World
Market, but not China because China tea full of ground-up computer parts and
drywall. You like stinky tofu smell like sweaty feet?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 7:28*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:

> Dunno about where you are but in the US corned beef hash is standard
> diner fare and also is in cans in just about every supermarket in the
> country. *It is difficult to imagine an a American who is unfamiliar
> with it.

Well, I was born here 40 years ago and have never ate it, I have no
idea what it is, I've only seen it talked about in this forum, it
sounds disgusting and I don't think I've missed anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 10:13*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> jasminesolis wrote:
> > well,you coule try add some tea into your food ingredients.
> > it's good in taste!!!

> Hello again to foodbanter jasminesolis! Do you mind people introducing
> themselves into you? How much tea you think? I buy tea from Cost Plus World
> Market, but not China because China tea full of ground-up computer parts and
> drywall. You like stinky tofu smell like sweaty feet?

Wow. Yer funny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
projectile vomit chick > wrote:

> On Mar 23, 7:28*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> >
> > Dunno about where you are but in the US corned beef hash is standard
> > diner fare and also is in cans in just about every supermarket in the
> > country. *It is difficult to imagine an a American who is unfamiliar
> > with it.

> Well, I was born here 40 years ago and have never ate it, I have no
> idea what it is, I've only seen it talked about in this forum, it
> sounds disgusting and I don't think I've missed anything.

I don't buy canned corned beef hash, but I have purchased canned corn
beef to MAKE into hash. Works fine.

Fry up one chopped onion in a little olive oil and butter until it
begins to brown, add a couple of pre-cooked cubed potatoes, mash up the
can of corned beef and cook all that until it's heated thru.

Serve in a bowl and top with two steamed, poached or fried eggs.

It's camping fare. :-)

I think you'd be surprised at just how good it is PVC!

This recipe of course can substitute canned SPAM for the corned beef, or
thinly sliced leftover meat of any kind...
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 04:05:33 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> I think you'd be surprised at just how good it is PVC!

PVC doesn't eat anything we'd classify as food.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Your right, not good. My culinary class made CBH with diced deli CB last night. Let me just say this, it was like eating little chunks of jerky. Being that it is culinary school, that is all they have. I'm tasked to make it next week and was wondering if I should try the chiffonade method. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

CBH...couldn't it be chopped and mixed with scalloped potatoes, in the same way ham is?
If I didn't try to make a Reuben sandwich, that is what I would do.

OT: supper tonight is leftover fried chicken with mashed potatoes/gravy, and sliced beets
with butter. I love beets. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 May 2019 16:39:16 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>CBH...couldn't it be chopped and mixed with scalloped potatoes, in the same way ham is?
>If I didn't try to make a Reuben sandwich, that is what I would do.
>
>OT: supper tonight is leftover fried chicken with mashed potatoes/gravy, and sliced beets
>with butter. I love beets. ;-))
>
>N.

I love beets too, all ways, but especially Harvard beets.