Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My take on Corned Beef Hash

This is a dish I have never actually ever eaten cooked by anyone else
but I tried this again tonight and was quite taken by it.

Chopped some onions and sweated them in a little olive oil till they
were cooked through.

Added some 1cm cubes of cooked new potato (warmed through in microwave)
and some chopped garlic.

After 10 mins of gentle cooking added some butter and turned up heat for
5 mins , turning occasionally.

At the end, added some 1.5 cm cubes of tinned corned beef, added salt
and pepper and cooked for another 5 mins turning frequently.

Turned out really nice, not sure if it counts as a real hash though.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Turned out really nice, not sure if it counts as a real hash though.

It's a hash if it has multiple ingredients cut to pieces the
same size. That's all a hash is.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 21, 12:36*pm, Steve Y > wrote:
> This is a dish I have never actually ever eaten cooked by anyone else
> but I tried this again tonight and was quite taken by it.
> [snip description]
> Turned out really nice, not sure if it counts as a real hash *though.

Sure. James Beard says the essence of hash is onion, potato and beef/
corned beef, though he also gives a recipe for chicken hash.

Personally, I think creating a crisp bottom crust is key to the hash I
like. So the frying pan can't be non-stick, and after you have the
ingredients all mixed and cooked you add a bit of cream (evap. milk in
a pinch) and let it cook out pretty quickly. Then finish by steaming
covered for a few minutes if necessary, and invert it onto the plate/
platter when serving.

Hash is another answer to the thread about quick meals...... -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 12:36*pm, Steve Y > wrote:
> This is a dish I have never actually ever eaten cooked by anyone else
> but I tried this again tonight and was quite taken by it.
>
> Chopped some onions and sweated them in a little olive oil till they
> were cooked through.
>
> Added some 1cm cubes of cooked new potato (warmed through in microwave)
> and some chopped garlic.
>
> After 10 mins of gentle cooking added some butter and turned up heat for
> 5 mins , turning occasionally.
>
> At the end, added some 1.5 cm cubes of tinned corned beef, added salt
> and pepper *and cooked for another 5 mins turning frequently.
>
> Turned out really nice, not sure if it counts as a real hash *though.
>
> Steve

This is a must for my family when we are camping...don't ask why!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> This is a dish I have never actually ever eaten cooked by anyone else
> but I tried this again tonight and was quite taken by it.
>
> Chopped some onions and sweated them in a little olive oil till they were
> cooked through.
>
> Added some 1cm cubes of cooked new potato (warmed through in microwave)
> and some chopped garlic.
>
> After 10 mins of gentle cooking added some butter and turned up heat for 5
> mins , turning occasionally.
>
> At the end, added some 1.5 cm cubes of tinned corned beef, added salt and
> pepper and cooked for another 5 mins turning frequently.
>
> Turned out really nice, not sure if it counts as a real hash though.
>
> Steve

With the exception of tinned corned beef (for us it's the last call for New
England Boiled Dinner) it's pretty much what I do. I do use olive oil of
shortening.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corned Beef Hash

Recipe By :Betty Crocker
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Beef Fried
Leftovers Main Dish

2 cups corned beef brisket -- cooked & chopped
4 small potatoes -- cooked & chopped
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
1 tablespoon parsley -- snipped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup shortening

Mix beef, potatoes, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper. Heat shortening in
10-inch skillet over medium heat until melted. Spread beef mixture evenly
in skillet. Fry, turning frequently, until browned, 10 to 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:55:11 -0700, aem wrote:

> Personally, I think creating a crisp bottom crust is key to the hash I
> like. So the frying pan can't be non-stick, and after you have the
> ingredients all mixed and cooked you add a bit of cream (evap. milk in a
> pinch) and let it cook out pretty quickly. Then finish by steaming
> covered for a few minutes if necessary, and invert it onto the plate/
> platter when serving.

If you use a mixture of bacon grease and olive oil (Be generous
with both.), you might like what I call slow-browned hash. Grind one part
cooked meat (ideally, half corned beef and half beef tongue), two parts
onion, three parts raw potato. Mix well, and zap on high, stirring often,
till the onion is about transparent.

Then put it into a very slow electric skillet (around 300 - 325)
with the fats. Keep an eye on it. When it forms a crust, turn it over and
chop the crust into it. Repeat six or eight times. It ends up practically
all crust -- and takes forever.

But you can make big batches and freeze most.

Hint : freeze it in pints, and cut each into quarters with a
table knife before freezing. Now you can zap the package for about half a
minute, redo the cuts, and take out as many or as few quarters as you
want, with the rest still frozen. A quarter of a pint makes a good bed to
serve two poached eggs on.

--
Beartooth Implacable, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
What do they know of country, who only country know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 22, 11:41*am, Beartooth > wrote:
> If you use a mixture of bacon grease and olive oil (Be generous
> with both.), you might like what I call slow-browned hash. Grind one part
> cooked meat (ideally, half corned beef and half beef tongue), two parts
> onion, three parts raw potato. Mix well, and zap on high, stirring often,
> till the onion is about transparent.

I often use bacon grease. Too much flavor to resist. Not so sure
about the zapping step.

> * * * * Then put it into a very slow electric skillet (around 300 - 325)
> with the fats. Keep an eye on it. When it forms a crust, turn it over and
> chop the crust into it. Repeat six or eight times. It ends up practically
> all crust -- and takes forever.

This sounds very good. I couldn't use the electric skillet because
it's teflon but I can use a low flame with a regular skillet.

> .... * Hint : freeze it in pints, and cut each into quarters with a
> table knife before freezing. Now you can zap the package for about half a
> minute, redo the cuts, and take out as many or as few quarters as you
> want, with the rest still frozen.

Ingenious, but I avoid the 'make too much and freeze the excess'
bizness whenever possible. I much prefer freshly made food.

> A quarter of a pint makes a good bed to
> serve two poached eggs on.

Sheldon says you can cook the egg(s) on top of the hash, covering the
pan, instead of poaching them separately. Should work, but I haven't
tried it yet. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Beartooth wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:55:11 -0700, aem wrote:
>
>> Personally, I think creating a crisp bottom crust is key to the hash I
>> like. So the frying pan can't be non-stick, and after you have the
>> ingredients all mixed and cooked you add a bit of cream (evap. milk in a
>> pinch) and let it cook out pretty quickly. Then finish by steaming
>> covered for a few minutes if necessary, and invert it onto the plate/
>> platter when serving.

> If you use a mixture of bacon grease and olive oil (Be generous
> with both.), you might like what I call slow-browned hash. Grind one part
> cooked meat (ideally, half corned beef and half beef tongue), two parts
> onion, three parts raw potato. Mix well, and zap on high, stirring often,
> till the onion is about transparent.
>
> Then put it into a very slow electric skillet (around 300 - 325)
> with the fats. Keep an eye on it. When it forms a crust, turn it over and
> chop the crust into it. Repeat six or eight times. It ends up practically
> all crust -- and takes forever.
>
> But you can make big batches and freeze most.
>
> Hint : freeze it in pints, and cut each into quarters with a
> table knife before freezing. Now you can zap the package for about half a
> minute, redo the cuts, and take out as many or as few quarters as you
> want, with the rest still frozen. A quarter of a pint makes a good bed to
> serve two poached eggs on.

What a neat idea...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:36:22 +0200, in rec.food.cooking, Steve Y wrote:

>This is a dish I have never actually ever eaten cooked by anyone else
>but I tried this again tonight and was quite taken by it.
>
>Chopped some onions and sweated them in a little olive oil till they
>were cooked through.
>
>Added some 1cm cubes of cooked new potato (warmed through in microwave)
>and some chopped garlic.
>
>After 10 mins of gentle cooking added some butter and turned up heat for
>5 mins , turning occasionally.
>
>At the end, added some 1.5 cm cubes of tinned corned beef, added salt
>and pepper and cooked for another 5 mins turning frequently.
>
>Turned out really nice, not sure if it counts as a real hash though.

Add some mustard?
Doug
--
Doug Weller --