Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default How to store Wild Rice ??

As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If freezing
uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?

Sky

P.S. Yes, I did google but the hits given weren't very helpful =8/

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 13, 2:06*pm, Sky > wrote:
> As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
> grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. *Usually, I save what I
> have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
> in a cupboard. *Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
> the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? *If freezing
> uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?
>
> Sky
>
> P.S. *Yes, I did google but the hits given weren't very helpful =8/
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

How long do you plan to store it? If it's not more than a few months
it should be fine in the pantry. You can freeze it but it keeps just
fine stored in an airtight container.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
> grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
> have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
> in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
> the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If freezing
> uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?
>
> Sky
>
> P.S. Yes, I did google but the hits given weren't very helpful =8/

I keep mine in the plastic bag it is in when I buy it and I keep the
bag/s in an airtight container (glass or Lock 'n' Lock) in my dry
storage cupboard in the kitchen.

The guy I buy it from says it'll keep forever like that.

If I'm going to freeze it, I cook it first and bag in 2-cup portions.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's wrote on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:35:07 -0600:

>> As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra
>> uncooked/raw long grain wild rice that needs long-term
>> storage. Usually, I save what I have on hand in a small
>> Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored in a
>> cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice
>> in the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts &
>> pecans? If freezing uncooked wild rice is not a good idea,
>> why's that?
>>
>> Sky
>>
>> P.S. Yes, I did google but the hits given weren't very
>> helpful =8/

> I keep mine in the plastic bag it is in when I buy it and I
> keep the bag/s in an airtight container (glass or Lock 'n'
> Lock) in my dry storage cupboard in the kitchen.

> The guy I buy it from says it'll keep forever like that.

> If I'm going to freeze it, I cook it first and bag in 2-cup
> portions.

I keep wild rice in a plastic screw top jar at room temperature and,
like you say, it seems to keep for ever.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
> > grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
> > have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
> > in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
> > the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If freezing
> > uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?
> >
> > Sky
> >
> > P.S. Yes, I did google but the hits given weren't very helpful =8/

> I keep mine in the plastic bag it is in when I buy it and I keep the
> bag/s in an airtight container (glass or Lock 'n' Lock) in my dry
> storage cupboard in the kitchen.
>
> The guy I buy it from says it'll keep forever like that.
>
> If I'm going to freeze it, I cook it first and bag in 2-cup portions.

Good to know. Thanks I'll keep cooked wild rice in the freezer, but
I didn't know if that was a good way to store it uncooked.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2:06 pm, Sky > wrote:
> > As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
> > grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
> > have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
> > in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
> > the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If freezing
> > uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?

> How long do you plan to store it? If it's not more than a few months
> it should be fine in the pantry. You can freeze it but it keeps just
> fine stored in an airtight container.

Thanks No telling how long it'll get stored, but it'll be a good six
months or a lot longer!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

James Silverton wrote:

> Melba's wrote on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:35:07 -0600:
>
> >> As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra
> >> uncooked/raw long grain wild rice that needs long-term
> >> storage. Usually, I save what I have on hand in a small
> >> Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored in a
> >> cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice
> >> in the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts &
> >> pecans? If freezing uncooked wild rice is not a good idea,
> >> why's that?

> > I keep mine in the plastic bag it is in when I buy it and I
> > keep the bag/s in an airtight container (glass or Lock 'n'
> > Lock) in my dry storage cupboard in the kitchen.

> > The guy I buy it from says it'll keep forever like that.

> > If I'm going to freeze it, I cook it first and bag in 2-cup
> > portions.

> I keep wild rice in a plastic screw top jar at room temperature and,
> like you say, it seems to keep for ever.

One can never have too many plastic screw top containers Thanks.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:35:07 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>> If I'm going to freeze it, I cook it first and bag in 2-cup portions.

> I keep uncooked brown rice in the freezer...no problems at all with
> it.

I do, too, along with all other foods that might become rancid if
unused for long.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
> grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
> have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
> in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
> the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If freezing
> uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?
>
> Sky

No problem just storing it in the pantry. If it makes you feel better, put
it in a zip-lock bag or in a rubbermaid storage container. It won't go bad.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Sky > :
> in rec.food.cooking
>
> > As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
> > grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
> > have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
> > in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
> > the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If freezing
> > uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?
> >
> > Sky
> >
> > P.S. Yes, I did google but the hits given weren't very helpful =8/

> I keep it in a ziploc bag and then put it in an airtight container. I have
> frozen it before (properly wrapped of course) and it froze well. No
> problems with freezing the uncooked rice.
>
> Michael

I've also frozen all types of rice, and beans too. Works a treat! :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
> > Sky > :
> > in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
> > > grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
> > > have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
> > > in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
> > > the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If freezing
> > > uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?

> > I keep it in a ziploc bag and then put it in an airtight container. I have
> > frozen it before (properly wrapped of course) and it froze well. No
> > problems with freezing the uncooked rice.

> I've also frozen all types of rice, and beans too. Works a treat! :-)

Thanks, Michael & Om. That's what I figured It's good to be sure
and get confirmation, though!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >
> > > Sky >
> > > :
> > > in rec.food.cooking

> > > I keep it in a ziploc bag and then put it in an airtight container. I
> > > have
> > > frozen it before (properly wrapped of course) and it froze well. No
> > > problems with freezing the uncooked rice.

> > I've also frozen all types of rice, and beans too. Works a treat! :-)

> Thanks, Michael & Om. That's what I figured It's good to be sure
> and get confirmation, though!
>
> Sky

Cheers!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> Sky >
>> :
>> in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > As the topic line says ..... I have a bit of extra uncooked/raw long
>> > grain wild rice that needs long-term storage. Usually, I save what I
>> > have on hand in a small Ziploc hard-plastic, twist-top container stored
>> > in a cupboard. Do y'all think I should save the surplus wild rice in
>> > the freezer as I would nuts like almonds, walnuts & pecans? If
>> > freezing
>> > uncooked wild rice is not a good idea, why's that?
>> >
>> > Sky
>> >
>> > P.S. Yes, I did google but the hits given weren't very helpful =8/

>> I keep it in a ziploc bag and then put it in an airtight container. I
>> have
>> frozen it before (properly wrapped of course) and it froze well. No
>> problems with freezing the uncooked rice.
>>
>> Michael

> I've also frozen all types of rice, and beans too. Works a treat! :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
> Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?
>
> Jill

Not all of us go thru dry goods that quickly. Some of my rice is at
least 3 years old. Some of the beans, well, I've no idea how old they
are. Maybe 8 years or so?

It preserves them longer and, yes, prevents weevils.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
>> Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?
>>
>> Jill

> Not all of us go thru dry goods that quickly. Some of my rice is at
> least 3 years old. Some of the beans, well, I've no idea how old they
> are. Maybe 8 years or so?
>
> It preserves them longer and, yes, prevents weevils.
> --
> Peace! Om

I don't go through any dry goods "that quickly". Beans and rice, they're
dry but not oily so I don't freeze them. No weevils here unless it's flour
or cornmeal; those I do freeze.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
> >> Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Not all of us go thru dry goods that quickly. Some of my rice is at
> > least 3 years old. Some of the beans, well, I've no idea how old they
> > are. Maybe 8 years or so?
> >
> > It preserves them longer and, yes, prevents weevils.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> I don't go through any dry goods "that quickly". Beans and rice, they're
> dry but not oily so I don't freeze them. No weevils here unless it's flour
> or cornmeal; those I do freeze.
>
> Jill

Weevils are a real consideration here. Unfortunately...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
> Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?

I keep my 2lb bags of popping corn and coarse ground corn meal in my
freezer because frozen corn pops better in my air popper and I bought
my coarse cornmeal at a Hispanic market (nuff said). All other dry
vittles are stored in air tight jars in the pantry. Some seven years
ago when I first moved here someone in MN sent me a 10 lb sack of very
nice wild rice. The label said to store in a air tight container at
room temperature for up to 10 years. To date I've only used about two
pounds. The remainder looks perfectly fine and I doubt I will be
tossing any in the trash come ten years.... it's not even in a
jar/tin, its in a doubled zip-loc... I think dry foods store better
with little air space, I also use those oxygen absorbing packets, they
do seem to work.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/sea...oxygen+packets

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:37:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>> I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
>> Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?
>>
>> Jill

> For me, I freeze the types of rice that tend to go rancid, like brown
> rice. Also barley and other whole grains, as they tend to go rancid
> too, if not used within a shorter period than say grains without the
> bran.

I may be sorry when the apocalypse comes, but I don't buy shelf-stable
food in such quantities that it would have to be frozen. It makes no
sense to me, when they're so plentiful and easy to get.

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:06:13 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:37:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
>>> Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> For me, I freeze the types of rice that tend to go rancid, like brown
>> rice. Also barley and other whole grains, as they tend to go rancid
>> too, if not used within a shorter period than say grains without the
>> bran.

>I may be sorry when the apocalypse comes, but I don't buy shelf-stable
>food in such quantities that it would have to be frozen. It makes no
>sense to me, when they're so plentiful and easy to get.

For some people it makes perfect sense. Often even when purchased in
small quantities many folks simply don't use up such items before
they'll go rancid... just recently I tossed the remainder of a one
pound bag of brown rice out in my yard because when I went to use it I
detected a slight musty smell, it was only in my freezer some twenty
years. Conversely I buy buckwheat in 50 pound sacks and store it at
room temperature because I will use it all in less than two years,
besides the fact that it would nearly fill my entire freezer. I also
keep all my bulk spices/herbs in my freezer, they simply stay more
potent longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:37:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't understand the reason for freezing uncooked rice, beans, etc.
>>> Unless you have a problem with bugs, what is the point?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> For me, I freeze the types of rice that tend to go rancid, like brown
>> rice. Also barley and other whole grains, as they tend to go rancid
>> too, if not used within a shorter period than say grains without the
>> bran.

> I may be sorry when the apocalypse comes, but I don't buy shelf-stable
> food in such quantities that it would have to be frozen. It makes no sense
> to me, when they're so plentiful and easy to get.

You cool, the pocalips is already here dood. AND I HAVE ENOUGH BLACK BEANS
FOR EVERYBODY.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> For me, I freeze the types of rice that tend to go rancid, like brown
>>> rice. Also barley and other whole grains, as they tend to go rancid
>>> too, if not used within a shorter period than say grains without the
>>> bran.

>> I may be sorry when the apocalypse comes, but I don't buy shelf-stable
>> food in such quantities that it would have to be frozen. It makes no
>> sense to me, when they're so plentiful and easy to get.
>>

> You cool, the pocalips is already here dood. AND I HAVE ENOUGH BLACK BEANS
> FOR EVERYBODY.

The mind boggles...

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:31:46 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> For me, I freeze the types of rice that tend to go rancid, like brown
>>> rice. Also barley and other whole grains, as they tend to go rancid
>>> too, if not used within a shorter period than say grains without the
>>> bran.

>> I may be sorry when the apocalypse comes, but I don't buy shelf-stable
>> food in such quantities that it would have to be frozen. It makes no sense
>> to me, when they're so plentiful and easy to get.
>>

> You cool, the pocalips is already here dood. AND I HAVE ENOUGH BLACK BEANS
> FOR EVERYBODY.

shee-it. i have a stockpile of r.c. cola and moon pie.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:31:46 -0400, cybercat wrote:

>>> I may be sorry when the apocalypse comes, but I don't buy shelf-stable
>>> food in such quantities that it would have to be frozen. It makes no
>>> sense
>>> to me, when they're so plentiful and easy to get.
>>>

>> You cool, the pocalips is already here dood. AND I HAVE ENOUGH BLACK
>> BEANS
>> FOR EVERYBODY.

> shee-it. i have a stockpile of r.c. cola and moon pie.

dem moonpies keep, nayah. Why are we doing southernblacktalk? Ain't no
blackfolk eat blackbeans, that's whitefolk food.

Member

Great resource on how to store wild rice = https://wildrice.com/blogs/wild-rice...226e2663&_ss=r

The best wild rice Kokopelli Barbecue 0 10-09-2015 06:53 PM
Rec:Wild Rice with Dried Cherries and Scallions made in a rice cooker hahabogus General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 08:52 PM
Rec:wild rice with dried cherries and scallions made in a rice cooker hahabogus General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 07:12 PM
wild rice [email protected] General Cooking 43 13-02-2007 07:41 PM