Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Parsley, still alive

Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>

> Becca

My parsley is also still going strong. Much stronger this year than any
year I can recall in fact. Go figure?
My mother could keep a bed of it alive for ever. I'm limited to doing it
in large deck pots at the moment and it seems to be thriving on benign
neglect.
My cilantro petered out a couple of months ago, as did my basil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:22:06 -0600, Becca wrote:

> BTW, that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.

I've seen much colder weather on some of those National Geographic
documentaries ;-)

I forget where you live, but that's about as cold as it gets in
Texas (last night). And then 110+ in the summer (32 days a year my
first year here).

ObFood: I totally give up on Newflower/Sunflower Market. I just
cooked a pound of bacon and threw it away after one taste. I didn't
see the lactic acid starter culture in the ingredients until after I
cooked it. It has no place in bacon except to mask off-flavors.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>

> Becca

My rosemary held up well.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:38:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, Becca >
>wrote:
>
>> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
>> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
>> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
>> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
>> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>>

>> Becca

>My rosemary held up well.

Dang. I've never successfully over wintered rosemary outdoors. What
variety are you growing up there in Minnie-soda?

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:22:06 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
>17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
>it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
>that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
>that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.

My cottage is in zone 4. I've had mint, sage, thyme, lavender,
oregano and I don't know what else. Nothing does real well because
we're not there enough to care for them but they do come back. 17
degrees there is a typical fall day.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped
> to 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just
> knew it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other
> herbs that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be
> honest. BTW, that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.

For some reason, the parsley really seems to hang in there
longer than I expect, even after it gets pretty cold. Rosemary
usually lasts a few years ... even with this cold winter, mine still
looks pretty happy, but it's young.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:05:43 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Becca wrote:
>
>> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped
>> to 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just
>> knew it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other
>> herbs that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be
>> honest. BTW, that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.

>For some reason, the parsley really seems to hang in there
>longer than I expect, even after it gets pretty cold. Rosemary
>usually lasts a few years ... even with this cold winter, mine still
>looks pretty happy, but it's young.

Didn't you get that at costco a few years ago?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:05:43 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> For some reason, the parsley really seems to hang in there
>> longer than I expect, even after it gets pretty cold. Rosemary
>> usually lasts a few years ... even with this cold winter, mine still
>> looks pretty happy, but it's young.

> Didn't you get that at costco a few years ago?

No. Are you talking about those rosemary Christmas trees?
I always think I should get one and keep it in the house until
spring. I don't clip fresh rosemary from the garden during the
winter.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:22:06 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
>17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
>it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
>that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
>that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>

>Becca

Parsley can withstand the occasional light frost, so long as its roots
don't freeze it will be fine. Parsley is a biennial, it'll even
survive one hard winter and come up the second year but will be very
bitter, unusable culinarilly... there is no such thing as a parsley
bed, sow parsley fresh every year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
> > Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped
> > to 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just
> > knew it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other
> > herbs that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be
> > honest. BTW, that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.

> For some reason, the parsley really seems to hang in there
> longer than I expect, even after it gets pretty cold. Rosemary
> usually lasts a few years ... even with this cold winter, mine still
> looks pretty happy, but it's young.
>
> nancy

Our rosemary bush nearly took over our puny front yard. That was before
the snows of December 2008 weighted many of the branches to the breaking
point. Parts of it survived, and I fully expect it to go invasive this
year thanks to our very mild winter.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:02:17 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>Our rosemary bush nearly took over our puny front yard. That was before
>the snows of December 2008 weighted many of the branches to the breaking
>point. Parts of it survived, and I fully expect it to go invasive this
>year thanks to our very mild winter.

Who is in charge, you or it? Don't let a bush intimidate you. You
can prune rosemary severely and you won't kill it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>
> Becca

Our rosemary doesn't care if it gets frozen or not. The chives, thyme,
savoury and oregano always came back after being frozen. It's below
freezing every night here most of the winter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>

> Becca

My rosemary and cilantro survived. We didn't get as cold as y'all did,
but we did have a hard freeze and some of my landscaping suffered
greatly. I'll have to wait and see what else might come back.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
>> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
>> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
>> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
>> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>>
>> Becca

> Our rosemary doesn't care if it gets frozen or not. The chives, thyme,
> savoury and oregano always came back after being frozen. It's below
> freezing every night here most of the winter.

I'm thinking my oregano and thyme might come back, too. The landscaper
guy thinks so. The basil took a real hit, but Ernie thinks it might come
back. He used to own a nursery so he's pretty good about knowing plants.
Some stuff is already starting to grow back, but not in the garden yet.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:38:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >My rosemary held up well.

> Dang. I've never successfully over wintered rosemary outdoors. What
> variety are you growing up there in Minnie-soda?
>
> Boron

Who said anything about wintering it over? :-) It just lasted lots
longer than I expected it to -- in a pot outside with the parsley.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Jan 2010 12:49:43 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' >
: in
>rec.food.cooking
>
>> In article >, Becca >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped
>>> to 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just
>>> knew it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other
>>> herbs that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be
>>> honest. BTW, that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>>>

>>> Becca

>> My rosemary held up well.

>How long does your rosemary last? Mine makes it until December,
>depending on temps. Unless I take it inside of course. I have a clump
>of creeping oregano that goes pretty strong and the cilantro just died
>out this year. Some of my chives are still green and we've had some
>really low temps this year. It's all a mystery
>
>Michael

No mystery here... depending on growing zone perennials and biennials
will easily survive a cold spell... it's the annuals that will go
kaput.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2010 12:49:43 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' >
>> : in
>> rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> In article >, Becca

>>> My rosemary held up well.

>> How long does your rosemary last? Mine makes it until December,
>> depending on temps. Unless I take it inside of course. I have a
>> clump of creeping oregano that goes pretty strong and the cilantro
>> just died out this year. Some of my chives are still green and we've
>> had some really low temps this year. It's all a mystery
>>
>> Michael

> No mystery here... depending on growing zone perennials and biennials
> will easily survive a cold spell... it's the annuals that will go
> kaput.

Yup, the growing zone in St. Louis is quite a bit less harsh than Barb's up
in Minnesota...than Chicago even. Spring in Michael's area starts a lot
sooner and autumns and even early winters are generally very mild...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2010 12:49:43 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' >
>> : in
>> rec.food.cooking

>>> My rosemary held up well.

>> How long does your rosemary last? Mine makes it until December,
>> depending on temps. Unless I take it inside of course. I have a clump
>> of creeping oregano that goes pretty strong and the cilantro just died
>> out this year. Some of my chives are still green and we've had some
>> really low temps this year. It's all a mystery
>>
>> Michael

> No mystery here... depending on growing zone perennials and biennials
> will easily survive a cold spell... it's the annuals that will go
> kaput.

Our big concern is that it got way colder here than normal. Some plants
like the palm trees and the Mexican Heather that would normally survive
the winter are looking really bad.

We usually have about 10 nights each winter when the temps get into the
upper 20's for a few hours. This year, I think it went down to 16 one
morning and never got above freezing for about 48 hours. That is a real
shock for this part of the country.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Jan 2010 15:18:43 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>brooklyn1 >
: in rec.food.cooking

>> No mystery here... depending on growing zone perennials and biennials
>> will easily survive a cold spell... it's the annuals that will go
>> kaput.

>Well, I admit to paying little attention the herbs in the garden. I've
>always planted them as annuals and assumed they would eventually die off as
>the cooler season hit. Shows you how much research I've done on them
>Nada. A couple of years ago I noticed that some of them made it through
>and came back the next year. I felt like such a dunce. I still can't get
>rosemary to make it through the winter without digging it up and bringing
>it indoors. I'm puzzled why the cilantro died off after making it for 4
>seasons. I'll have to read up on them and maybe plant them in more
>appropriate areas if they'll winter well.
>
>Michael

The perennials that normally survive in your area will come back year
after year, just like trees. Annuals won't come back, but some may
reseed, then what you'll see in spring is an entirely new plant, not
the old plant. Some herbs, like dill, are annuals but they reseed so
profusely that they are considered invasive. The dill used for it's
greenery is a different plant from the one used for its seed... it's
the one that its seed is used that you don't want to plant, your
neighbors will hate you... you'll hate you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
>> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
>> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
>> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
>> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
>>

>> Becca

> My rosemary held up well.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
> The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen

My chives are fine and I'm sure the mint will be back, but the thyme looks
very iffy!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
> brooklyn1 >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> No mystery here... depending on growing zone perennials and biennials
>> will easily survive a cold spell... it's the annuals that will go
>> kaput.

> Well, I admit to paying little attention the herbs in the garden. I've
> always planted them as annuals and assumed they would eventually die off
> as
> the cooler season hit. Shows you how much research I've done on them
> Nada. A couple of years ago I noticed that some of them made it through
> and came back the next year. I felt like such a dunce. I still can't get
> rosemary to make it through the winter without digging it up and bringing
> it indoors. I'm puzzled why the cilantro died off after making it for 4
> seasons. I'll have to read up on them and maybe plant them in more
> appropriate areas if they'll winter well.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> "Like all great divas, I owe everything to the kindness of *** men."
> ~Margaret Cho
>
> You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

Ahh forgot about my cilantro, bloody squirrels ate all the seeds and new
shoots last year and it was gone!
Must re plant in the spring.

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > Becca wrote:
> >> Our parsley is still alive. A few weeks ago, the temperature dropped to
> >> 17 degrees, and it was below freezing for about 36 hours. I just knew
> >> it would kill the parsley, but it didn't. Are there any other herbs
> >> that can withstand weather that cold? I was shocked, to be honest. BTW,
> >> that was the coldest weather I have ever seen.
> >>
> >> Becca

> > Our rosemary doesn't care if it gets frozen or not. The chives, thyme,
> > savoury and oregano always came back after being frozen. It's below
> > freezing every night here most of the winter.

> I'm thinking my oregano and thyme might come back, too. The landscaper
> guy thinks so. The basil took a real hit, but Ernie thinks it might come
> back. He used to own a nursery so he's pretty good about knowing plants.
> Some stuff is already starting to grow back, but not in the garden yet.

Try covering the herb bed with leaves or straw or something over the
winter. We just let the plants die down in the herb box, without
removing the dead stems. In spring, they all come back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> Our rosemary doesn't care if it gets frozen or not. The chives, thyme,
>>> savoury and oregano always came back after being frozen. It's below
>>> freezing every night here most of the winter.

>> I'm thinking my oregano and thyme might come back, too. The landscaper
>> guy thinks so. The basil took a real hit, but Ernie thinks it might come
>> back. He used to own a nursery so he's pretty good about knowing plants.
>> Some stuff is already starting to grow back, but not in the garden yet.
>>

> Try covering the herb bed with leaves or straw or something over the
> winter. We just let the plants die down in the herb box, without
> removing the dead stems. In spring, they all come back.

No one was expecting a frost. We are considered sub-tropical here.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Arri London wrote:
>>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> I'm thinking my oregano and thyme might come back, too. The landscaper
>>> guy thinks so. The basil took a real hit, but Ernie thinks it might come
>>> back. He used to own a nursery so he's pretty good about knowing plants.
>>> Some stuff is already starting to grow back, but not in the garden
>>> yet.
>>>

>> Try covering the herb bed with leaves or straw or something over the
>> winter. We just let the plants die down in the herb box, without
>> removing the dead stems. In spring, they all come back.

> No one was expecting a frost. We are considered sub-tropical here.

We expect a fair number of frosts here..... but never a real hard
freeze. Becca is ready to pack up and move to Brownsville, TX. <vbg>

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
>>Our rosemary bush nearly took over our puny front yard. That was before
>>the snows of December 2008 weighted many of the branches to the breaking
>>point. Parts of it survived, and I fully expect it to go invasive this
>>year thanks to our very mild winter.

> Who is in charge, you or it?

That depends on what zone you are in. Here is Chicago metro zone 6B it
dies over almost any winter. I've had tarragon and thyme come back
after winters. In a while the tarragon fought a war with the thyme and
won. So then it started fighting a war with the nearby daylillies ...

> Don't let a bush intimidate you. You
> can prune rosemary severely and you won't kill it.

On the other hand when we lived in Los Angeles metro they would plant
rosemary on the slopes of the freeways. Every so often a car would veer
out of traffic and end up rosemary fertilizer. The stuff can seem like
the plants in "The Little Shop of Horrors", except for the music. You
can use nukes to prune rosemary and you won't kill it. I do advise
against using kudzu in a war against rosemary, though.

Now I'm thinking of what other herbs to grow here in Chicago metro. One
year we planted something that smelled like celery but we never learned
what to use it in ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> Try covering the herb bed with leaves or straw or something over the
>>> winter. We just let the plants die down in the herb box, without
>>> removing the dead stems. In spring, they all come back.

>> No one was expecting a frost. We are considered sub-tropical here.
>>

> We expect a fair number of frosts here..... but never a real hard
> freeze. Becca is ready to pack up and move to Brownsville, TX. <vbg>
>
> George L

Becca, you are welcome here any time. We are less than 20 miles from
Brownsville

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I've seen much colder weather on some of those National Geographic
> documentaries ;-)
>
> I forget where you live, but that's about as cold as it gets in
> Texas (last night). And then 110+ in the summer (32 days a year my
> first year here).

Yep, I remember the year it was that hot in Texas. I live in Louisiana,
about 10 miles from the Texas border. Every time it gets cold, I think
about moving. lol

Becca

ObFood:

Chicken Wings

(perfect for the Super Bowl)

Season and flour the chicken wings, bake on a well-greased baking sheet
at 375 for 1 1/2 hours, gently turning the chicken over after 45 minutes.

Sauce:

chopped garlic
chopped ginger
sugar
vinegar
oyster sauce
chile-garlic sauce

In a skillet, add cooking oil and saute the garlic and ginger for maybe
20 seconds, add the sugar, vinegar, oyster sauce and the chile-garlic
sauce. Tastes for seasoning, you can add more vinegar if it needs more
snap, or more sugar or kecap manis if it is not sweet enough.

Note: I use lots of garlic, about 1/3 cup for 5 pounds of chicken
wings.. IMO, these are the best chicken wings ever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Becca, you are welcome here any time. We are less than 20 miles from
> Brownsville

The cold weather encourages me to move farther south, then I think about
moving away from my family and I change my mind. It is a battle, and I
still haven't made a decision. lol

Becca

Can't believe some of you are still alive! [email protected] General Cooking 5 03-10-2016 12:14 AM
skin em alive? RichD General Cooking 15 28-01-2012 09:14 PM
If Bevan were alive.. notbevan General Cooking 3 13-01-2009 02:34 PM
Cockles & Mussels Alive, Alive-O! jmcquown General Cooking 41 07-11-2006 12:39 PM
Is this group still alive? Reety General Cooking 10 16-01-2006 03:30 PM