Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cockles & Mussels Alive, Alive-O!

Okay, no cockles (shut up, Sheldon! LOL) and the mussels are frozen. My
brother gave me a couple of bags of frozen mussels in a garlic & butter
sauce. (I think he said he got them at Costco.) Each bag is approximately
1 lb.

The instructions for cooking say to cook them from frozen. Empty the
contents of the bag into a saucepan and cover the pan. Heat on high for 3-4
minutes; reduce heat and simmer 3-5 minutes more, stirring gently, until the
mussels open. (And yes, I know you throw away the ones that don't open.) I
guess they were flash frozen while still alive and stuck in a bag with some
garlic/butter sauce then cryo-vac'd. Is there some sort of weird suspended
animation thing going on here? <G>

Now that I have them, I've no idea what do do with them. I've only ever had
mussels in a restaurant, in a combination seafood/pasta dish. I'm thinking
I should keep it simple and serve them over linguini. Not sure about any
other seasonings. Does this sound about right?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Okay, no cockles (shut up, Sheldon! LOL) and the mussels are frozen. My
> brother gave me a couple of bags of frozen mussels in a garlic & butter
> sauce. (I think he said he got them at Costco.) Each bag is
> approximately
> 1 lb.
>
> The instructions for cooking say to cook them from frozen. Empty the
> contents of the bag into a saucepan and cover the pan. Heat on high for
> 3-4
> minutes; reduce heat and simmer 3-5 minutes more, stirring gently, until
> the
> mussels open. (And yes, I know you throw away the ones that don't open.)
> guess they were flash frozen while still alive and stuck in a bag with
> some
> garlic/butter sauce then cryo-vac'd. Is there some sort of weird
> suspended
> animation thing going on here? <G>
>
> Now that I have them, I've no idea what do do with them. I've only ever
> had
> mussels in a restaurant, in a combination seafood/pasta dish. I'm
> thinking
> I should keep it simple and serve them over linguini. Not sure about any
> other seasonings. Does this sound about right?
>
> Jill

Since they're already "herbed up", yes, serve over pasta. Have some decent
bread handy to soak up the liquid at the bottom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:05:36 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Does this sound about right?

Good luck! IMO: If they are already frozen they are dead. I tried
frozen once and it was a complete flop. Never again.
--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Okay, no cockles (shut up, Sheldon! LOL) and the mussels are frozen. My
> brother gave me a couple of bags of frozen mussels in a garlic & butter
> sauce. (I think he said he got them at Costco.) Each bag is
> approximately
> 1 lb.
>
> The instructions for cooking say to cook them from frozen. Empty the
> contents of the bag into a saucepan and cover the pan. Heat on high for
> 3-4
> minutes; reduce heat and simmer 3-5 minutes more, stirring gently, until
> the
> mussels open. (And yes, I know you throw away the ones that don't open.)
> guess they were flash frozen while still alive and stuck in a bag with
> some
> garlic/butter sauce then cryo-vac'd. Is there some sort of weird
> suspended
> animation thing going on here? <G>
>
> Now that I have them, I've no idea what do do with them. I've only ever
> had
> mussels in a restaurant, in a combination seafood/pasta dish. I'm
> thinking
> I should keep it simple and serve them over linguini. Not sure about any
> other seasonings. Does this sound about right?
>
> Jill

I'll add that if you don't like the results, don't let it discourage you
from trying mussels at a restaurant in a place where they're harvested
locally. This is no comparison. There are also regional differences and
seasonal differences. They range from great to fabulous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:05:36 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Does this sound about right?

> Good luck! IMO: If they are already frozen they are dead. I tried
> frozen once and it was a complete flop. Never again.

Well, he's had them before and told me they open up. Most people know you
should not eat mussels that don't open. So really, I can't imagine why
they'd sell them this way if they knew they were dead.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Okay, no cockles (shut up, Sheldon! LOL) and the mussels are frozen. My
> brother gave me a couple of bags of frozen mussels in a garlic & butter
> sauce. (I think he said he got them at Costco.) Each bag is approximately
> 1 lb.
>
> The instructions for cooking say to cook them from frozen. Empty the
> contents of the bag into a saucepan and cover the pan. Heat on high for 3-4
> minutes; reduce heat and simmer 3-5 minutes more, stirring gently, until the
> mussels open. (And yes, I know you throw away the ones that don't open.) I
> guess they were flash frozen while still alive and stuck in a bag with some
> garlic/butter sauce then cryo-vac'd. Is there some sort of weird suspended
> animation thing going on here? <G>
>
> Now that I have them, I've no idea what do do with them. I've only ever had
> mussels in a restaurant, in a combination seafood/pasta dish. I'm thinking
> I should keep it simple and serve them over linguini. Not sure about any
> other seasonings. Does this sound about right?
>
> Jill

I'd google some recipes for Paella...

On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:05:36 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
> >Does this sound about right?

> Good luck! IMO: If they are already frozen they are dead. I tried
> frozen once and it was a complete flop. Never again.

The ones I've purchased frozen to make Paella for my sister and brother
in law (they love it!) were not in the shell.

That worked fine. :-)

I have, however, purchased fresh frozen whole clams and used them in
soup, shell and all.

The shells DID open on all of them.

The shells made a very nice presentation and neither dad nor I minded
them.

And no, we did not eat the shells. <G> I don't think anybody's teeth are
THAT good!

Next time I do a mixed seafood chowder, I'll be sure to take jpegs. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:05:36 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does this sound about right?

> And no, we did not eat the shells. <G> I don't think anybody's teeth
> are THAT good!

Well of course you don't eat the shells, silly!

Paella sounds nice although I'm not sure I want all that much rice at one
time, leftovers not withstanding. Don't get me wrong; I love leftovers.
But I do get tired of rice rather quickly.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> My brother gave me a couple of bags of frozen mussels in a garlic &
>> butter sauce. (I think he said he got them at Costco.) Each bag is
>> approximately 1 lb.

> I'd google some recipes for Paella...
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
>
> On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
> cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I
> imagine serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.

So! You're the gal they said on the menu at 'Tiramisu' up in Davenport
would select shrimp rather than the mussels on this particular pasta dish!
(They gave you a choice, you see.) The server looked at me when I ordered
it and said, "Are you sure you don't want the shelled shrimp?" Heck no, have
the chef put some mussels in there!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
> cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
> serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.
> --

Yeah, I have trouble with mussels... Give me six dozen clams, and I'm
happy as a pig in s***!

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:05:36 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does this sound about right?

>> Good luck! IMO: If they are already frozen they are dead. I tried
>> frozen once and it was a complete flop. Never again.

> Well, he's had them before and told me they open up. Most people know you
> should not eat mussels that don't open. So really, I can't imagine why
> they'd sell them this way if they knew they were dead.
>
> Jill

That's not logical. When they're alive in their native environment, they're
constantly washed with sal****er, which keeps them from freezing. Take them
out of the water and freeze them, and I *suspect* it will kill them. But, if
freezing is the only way to ship them to the backwater places, then that's
what you get. Just cook the things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

>> On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
>> cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
>> serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.
>> --

> Yeah, I have trouble with mussels... Give me six dozen clams, and I'm
> happy as a pig in s***!
>
> ..fred
>==============

Me three! I adore clams and oysters but will pass on mussels and/or eat
very few of them.

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:42:44 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
>cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
>serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.

I suppose it depends of where those mussels came from, but I've never
met one I didn't like. I think they taste fresh and sweet. Of
course, I don't do frozen in shells either and have no need to do
frozen out of the shells because of the availability of nonfrozen
here. If I had to choose between them, I'd pick frozen *out* of the
shells.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >, sf wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:05:36 -0500, "jmcquown"

> > And no, we did not eat the shells. <G> I don't think anybody's teeth
> > are THAT good!
> >

> Well of course you don't eat the shells, silly!

I just added that to play devils advocate. <G>
Knowing this list and all.....

> Paella sounds nice although I'm not sure I want all that much rice at one
> time, leftovers not withstanding. Don't get me wrong; I love leftovers.
> But I do get tired of rice rather quickly.
>
> Jill

So make a smaller amount at a time?
I'm sure the frozen critters will keep for a few months?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> >> My brother gave me a couple of bags of frozen mussels in a garlic &
> >> butter sauce. (I think he said he got them at Costco.) Each bag is
> >> approximately 1 lb.

> > I'd google some recipes for Paella...
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
> >
> > On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
> > cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I
> > imagine serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.

> So! You're the gal they said on the menu at 'Tiramisu' up in Davenport
> would select shrimp rather than the mussels on this particular pasta dish!

Indeed. I have a passion for shrimp!

> (They gave you a choice, you see.) The server looked at me when I ordered
> it and said, "Are you sure you don't want the shelled shrimp?" Heck no, have
> the chef put some mussels in there!
>
> Jill

No judgment from me...
Just because I don't care for mussels does not mean I'm not ok with
others liking them. :-)

It's like the whole Cilantro thing. To each their own!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"kuvasz guy" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

> > On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
> > cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
> > serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.
> > --

> Yeah, I have trouble with mussels... Give me six dozen clams, and I'm
> happy as a pig in s***!
>
> ..fred

I'll have the Shrimps, thanks!

But yes, I do like clams.

And COOKED Oysters.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > sf wrote:
> >> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:05:36 -0500, "jmcquown"

> >> Good luck! IMO: If they are already frozen they are dead. I tried
> >> frozen once and it was a complete flop. Never again.

> > Well, he's had them before and told me they open up. Most people know you
> > should not eat mussels that don't open. So really, I can't imagine why
> > they'd sell them this way if they knew they were dead.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> That's not logical. When they're alive in their native environment, they're
> constantly washed with sal****er, which keeps them from freezing. Take them
> out of the water and freeze them, and I *suspect* it will kill them. But, if
> freezing is the only way to ship them to the backwater places, then that's
> what you get. Just cook the things.

But if they were alive when frozen, they DO pop open.

I can get whole fresh frozen mussels and clams, and have cooked both.
So far, I've never had one _not_ pop open on cooking, but she is correct.

Discard any that don't. The muscle that causes them to pop open on
cooking degenerates in a dead mollusk so partial rotting does tell.

The only thing that rots faster on death than seafood is reptiles.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:42:44 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>

> >On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
> >cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
> >serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.

> I suppose it depends of where those mussels came from, but I've never
> met one I didn't like. I think they taste fresh and sweet. Of
> course, I don't do frozen in shells either and have no need to do
> frozen out of the shells because of the availability of nonfrozen
> here. If I had to choose between them, I'd pick frozen *out* of the
> shells.

One of these days I'll try fresh live ones, if I can find them. :-)

I'm always game to re-try a formerly rejected food...

Except for bell peppers. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "kuvasz guy" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >

> > > On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
> > > cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
> > > serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.
> > > --

> > Yeah, I have trouble with mussels... Give me six dozen clams, and I'm
> > happy as a pig in s***!
> >
> > ..fred

> I'll have the Shrimps, thanks!

well... ok... but you'll have to share....

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:42:44 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > > wrote:
> >

> > >On a personal note, while many people like them, I've tried and just
> > >cannot stomach Mussels. They have a very harsh "fishy" taste. I imagine
> > >serving them with rice would curb that somewhat.

> > I suppose it depends of where those mussels came from, but I've never
> > met one I didn't like. I think they taste fresh and sweet. Of
> > course, I don't do frozen in shells either and have no need to do
> > frozen out of the shells because of the availability of nonfrozen
> > here. If I had to choose between them, I'd pick frozen *out* of the
> > shells.

> One of these days I'll try fresh live ones, if I can find them. :-)

The fresh (and supposedly sweet) mussels were the ones I couldn't
take... Never had frozen, no desire to try them...

> I'm always game to re-try a formerly rejected food...
>

> Except for bell peppers. <G>

brussel sprouts for me...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:30:14 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>And COOKED Oysters.

If you have any inclination to begin "liking" raw oysters, I suggest
you start small with the Olympia type and work your way up to the huge
ones.

I'm not a fan of cooked oysters unless they've been bbq-ed, but I've
acquired a taste for raw.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2006 09:50:30 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:

>The fresh (and supposedly sweet) mussels were the ones I couldn't
>take...

I like the plain American purple type... I've tried "green" and they
didn't live up to the hype. My husband doesn't like mussels because
they are so sweet, btw. He prefers clams too.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"kuvasz guy" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article .com>,

> > > Yeah, I have trouble with mussels... Give me six dozen clams, and I'm
> > > happy as a pig in s***!
> > >
> > > ..fred

> > I'll have the Shrimps, thanks!
> >

> well... ok... but you'll have to share....
>
> ..fred

Happily! ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"kuvasz guy" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >, sf wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:42:44 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet

> > > I suppose it depends of where those mussels came from, but I've never
> > > met one I didn't like. I think they taste fresh and sweet. Of
> > > course, I don't do frozen in shells either and have no need to do
> > > frozen out of the shells because of the availability of nonfrozen
> > > here. If I had to choose between them, I'd pick frozen *out* of the
> > > shells.

> > One of these days I'll try fresh live ones, if I can find them. :-)
> >

> The fresh (and supposedly sweet) mussels were the ones I couldn't
> take... Never had frozen, no desire to try them...
>
> > I'm always game to re-try a formerly rejected food...
> >

> > Except for bell peppers. <G>

> brussel sprouts for me...
>
> ..fred

<lol> Funny that...
I loved Brussel sprouts as a kid.

Now I can't stand them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:30:14 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >And COOKED Oysters.

> If you have any inclination to begin "liking" raw oysters, I suggest
> you start small with the Olympia type and work your way up to the huge
> ones.
>
> I'm not a fan of cooked oysters unless they've been bbq-ed, but I've
> acquired a taste for raw.

To each their own... <lol>

Raw oyster makes me gag.

I eat them fried with a cracker crumb crust like mom taught me, at least
for now.

I may work up the nerve to try them, once I get over my aversion to
swallowing certain male body fluids.

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2006 09:50:30 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:
>
> >The fresh (and supposedly sweet) mussels were the ones I couldn't
> >take...

> I like the plain American purple type... I've tried "green" and they
> didn't live up to the hype. My husband doesn't like mussels because
> they are so sweet, btw. He prefers clams too.

You kow, I may have to revisit this one after all... We had the green
ones last time and I was disappointed because I thought I had liked
them in the past... But I think I had the purple ones originally... I
was distracted by the clams...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:30:14 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >And COOKED Oysters.

> > If you have any inclination to begin "liking" raw oysters, I suggest
> > you start small with the Olympia type and work your way up to the huge
> > ones.

I might try the Olympia... I'll let you know what happens...

> > I'm not a fan of cooked oysters unless they've been bbq-ed, but I've
> > acquired a taste for raw.

> To each their own... <lol>
>
> Raw oyster makes me gag.

My plan would be to start initially with a sufficient amount of scotch
whiskey...

> I eat them fried with a cracker crumb crust like mom taught me, at least
> for now.
>
> I may work up the nerve to try them, once I get over my aversion to
> swallowing certain male body fluids.

ok, I'm not going near that one -- you've got a gun!

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"kuvasz guy" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >, sf wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:30:14 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet

> > > If you have any inclination to begin "liking" raw oysters, I suggest
> > > you start small with the Olympia type and work your way up to the huge
> > > ones.

> I might try the Olympia... I'll let you know what happens...

Ok, but that was not me that suggested that.
You snipped too many attributions. <G>

> > Raw oyster makes me gag.

> My plan would be to start initially with a sufficient amount of scotch
> whiskey...

Or Tequila!

> > I eat them fried with a cracker crumb crust like mom taught me, at least
> > for now.
> >
> > I may work up the nerve to try them, once I get over my aversion to
> > swallowing certain male body fluids.

> ok, I'm not going near that one -- you've got a gun!
>
> ..fred

<snicker>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:35:45 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Raw oyster makes me gag.

To tell you the truth, all oysters did that to me in the beginning. I
couldn't understand how my grandfather could like them so much!

>I eat them fried with a cracker crumb crust like mom taught me, at least
>for now.

Saltine crackers make a great oyster coating! Have you ever made
Hangtown fry? Oh, yes nekkid oysters lightly sautéed in loads of
butter and garlic, served on a slice of crusty baguette is good too.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2006 10:48:27 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:

>My plan would be to start initially with a sufficient amount of scotch
>whiskey...

Which is for medicinal purposes only!

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking
rrb rrb is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> That's not logical. When they're alive in their native environment, they're
> constantly washed with sal****er, which keeps them from freezing. Take them
> out of the water and freeze them, and I *suspect* it will kill them.

It is logical if you realize that she probably meant that they were dead
before they were frozen. Not that they died during the freezing process.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:35:45 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Raw oyster makes me gag.
> >

> To tell you the truth, all oysters did that to me in the beginning. I
> couldn't understand how my grandfather could like them so much!
>
> >I eat them fried with a cracker crumb crust like mom taught me, at least
> >for now.

> Saltine crackers make a great oyster coating! Have you ever made
> Hangtown fry? Oh, yes nekkid oysters lightly sautéed in loads of
> butter and garlic, served on a slice of crusty baguette is good too.

Mmmmmmm.... just like snails. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rrb" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> That's not logical. When they're alive in their native environment,
>> they're constantly washed with sal****er, which keeps them from freezing.
>> Take them out of the water and freeze them, and I *suspect* it will kill
>> them.

> It is logical if you realize that she probably meant that they were dead
> before they were frozen. Not that they died during the freezing process.

That's a disgusting thought. Probably illegal, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in
:

> "rrb" > wrote in message
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>>
>>> That's not logical. When they're alive in their native environment,
>>> they're constantly washed with sal****er, which keeps them from
>>> freezing. Take them out of the water and freeze them, and I
>>> *suspect* it will kill them.

>> It is logical if you realize that she probably meant that they were
>> dead before they were frozen. Not that they died during the freezing
>> process.

> That's a disgusting thought. Probably illegal, too.

Not really. We have to do that with our Mud Crabs. Put them in the
freezer (live) for about 20mins. It makes them 'go to sleep' and when
you drop them in the boiling water, they don't throw their claws off.

Same with Canetoads. A lot of people bag them and put them in the
freezer as it is the 'humane' way to kill them. Not me though. I'd
rather smack the shit out of the little mongrels with a 9 Iron :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "rrb" > wrote in message

>>> It is logical if you realize that she probably meant that they were
>>> dead before they were frozen. Not that they died during the freezing
>>> process.

>> That's a disgusting thought. Probably illegal, too.
>>

> Not really. We have to do that with our Mud Crabs. Put them in the
> freezer (live) for about 20mins. It makes them 'go to sleep' and when
> you drop them in the boiling water, they don't throw their claws off.
>
> Same with Canetoads. A lot of people bag them and put them in the
> freezer as it is the 'humane' way to kill them. Not me though. I'd
> rather smack the shit out of the little mongrels with a 9 Iron :-)

OK, but rrb said they were dead before freezing. Whatever. I don't give a
shit. Where I shop, the mussels are two days from the ocean, live, in a mesh
bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:02:55 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> Oh, yes nekkid oysters lightly sautéed in loads of
>> butter and garlic, served on a slice of crusty baguette is good too.

>Mmmmmmm.... just like snails. ;-d

come to think of it... YES.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gee thanks. Now I've got Burl Ives singing inside my head and he won't
shut up.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "rrb" > wrote in message
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >>
> >> That's not logical. When they're alive in their native environment,
> >> they're constantly washed with sal****er, which keeps them from freezing.
> >> Take them out of the water and freeze them, and I *suspect* it will kill
> >> them.

> > It is logical if you realize that she probably meant that they were dead
> > before they were frozen. Not that they died during the freezing process.

> That's a disgusting thought. Probably illegal, too.

As well as being toxic....
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Gee thanks. Now I've got Burl Ives singing inside my head and he
> won't shut up.
>
> Bob

LOL! Sorry for the ear-worm! I guess I'll just serve these over linguini
since no one seems to really know what to do with them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > Gee thanks. Now I've got Burl Ives singing inside my head and he
> > won't shut up.
> >
> > Bob

> LOL! Sorry for the ear-worm! I guess I'll just serve these over linguini
> since no one seems to really know what to do with them.
>
> Jill

I saw several suggestion...

My suggestion for Paella still stands. <G>

Pasta is not right for them, but that's a personal opinion...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Can't believe some of you are still alive! [email protected] General Cooking 5 03-10-2016 12:14 AM
skin em alive? RichD General Cooking 15 28-01-2012 09:14 PM
GoogleGroups is alive again! Yay!! :-) John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 29 03-08-2011 01:32 PM
Parsley, still alive Becca General Cooking 30 02-02-2010 01:18 AM
If Bevan were alive.. notbevan General Cooking 3 13-01-2009 02:34 PM