Phred

Default Suggestions for fresh green beans?

G'day mates,

The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)

Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)

Had a bit of a google, but there seem to be around 350,000
possibilities for "recipe fresh green beans", so I thought it would be
nice to ask this group for "favo[u]rites". I can almost taste a dish
based on various combinations of beans with bacon, tomatoes,
mushrooms, etc. -- but I can't quite put my finger on the defining
ingredient(s). Help!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Herman Munster

"Phred" > wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)
>
> Had a bit of a google, but there seem to be around 350,000
> possibilities for "recipe fresh green beans", so I thought it would be
> nice to ask this group for "favo[u]rites". I can almost taste a dish
> based on various combinations of beans with bacon, tomatoes,
> mushrooms, etc. -- but I can't quite put my finger on the defining
> ingredient(s). Help!
>

> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

We enjoy grilling them. I have a wok basket for the grill.
Marinate them in a italian salad dressing to coat, chop up
a sweet onion and grill together. Yum!

Peter Aitken

"Phred" > wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)
>
> Had a bit of a google, but there seem to be around 350,000
> possibilities for "recipe fresh green beans", so I thought it would be
> nice to ask this group for "favo[u]rites". I can almost taste a dish
> based on various combinations of beans with bacon, tomatoes,
> mushrooms, etc. -- but I can't quite put my finger on the defining
> ingredient(s). Help!

Boil til just done, drain, run under cold water, and dry. Make a salad with
tomatoes and vidalia onions.

--
Peter Aitken

Goomba38

Phred wrote:

> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)

Not quite what you were looking for but good all
the same:
* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Lemon-Dill
Butter

Recipe By : Southern Living
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation
Method
-------- ------------
--------------------------------
2 pounds fresh green beans
1 1/2 teaspoons salt -- divided
1/3 cup butter
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind -- grated
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill

Cook green beans and 1 teaspoon salt in boiling
water to cover 2 min or til crisp-tender, drain.
Melt butter in large saucepan, add garlic and
saute 30 seconds. Stir in remaining salt, lemon
juice, rind. Add green beans and chopped dill,
tossing to coat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - -

Matt

"Phred" > wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)

Saute in sesame oil and then splash with soy sauce. Yummy.

-Matt

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Nancy Howells > said:

<snip>

> I like to stir fry mine in a little olive oil, add some curry powder and
> sliced onion, and serve until cooked, but still crisp.

Not me, I "serve" 'em until they're nice and soft... ;->

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Nancy Howells > said:

<snip>

> I like to stir fry mine in a little olive oil, add some curry powder and
> sliced onion, and serve until cooked, but still crisp.

Not me, I "serve" 'em until they're nice and soft... ;->

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
The Wolf

Phred > wrote:

My favorite:
Country Green Beans and Ham

Vegetables

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ham shank, cut into 1-inch pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
Salt
3 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
Water

In a large saucepan, with a lid, over medium heat, add the oil. Season
the ham with black pepper. Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes on each
side. Remove and set aside. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper.
Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
from the heat and reseason if necessary.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

> G'day mates,
>
> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)
>
> Had a bit of a google, but there seem to be around 350,000
> possibilities for "recipe fresh green beans", so I thought it would be
> nice to ask this group for "favo[u]rites". I can almost taste a dish
> based on various combinations of beans with bacon, tomatoes,
> mushrooms, etc. -- but I can't quite put my finger on the defining
> ingredient(s). Help!
>

> Cheers, Phred.

The Wolf

Phred > wrote:

My favorite:
Country Green Beans and Ham

Vegetables

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ham shank, cut into 1-inch pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
Salt
3 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
Water

In a large saucepan, with a lid, over medium heat, add the oil. Season
the ham with black pepper. Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes on each
side. Remove and set aside. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper.
Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
from the heat and reseason if necessary.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

> G'day mates,
>
> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)
>
> Had a bit of a google, but there seem to be around 350,000
> possibilities for "recipe fresh green beans", so I thought it would be
> nice to ask this group for "favo[u]rites". I can almost taste a dish
> based on various combinations of beans with bacon, tomatoes,
> mushrooms, etc. -- but I can't quite put my finger on the defining
> ingredient(s). Help!
>

> Cheers, Phred.

Goomba38

The Wolf wrote:
Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
> Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
> reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
> from the heat and reseason if necessary.

If you're going to cook the life out of the fresh
beans anyway... why not just open a can? I can't
imagine the attraction to overcooked, mushy gray
beans?
Goomba

PENMART01

Goomba38 wrote:

>The Wolf wrote:
> Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
>> Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
>> reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
>> from the heat and reseason if necessary.

>If you're going to cook the life out of the fresh
>beans anyway... why not just open a can? I can't
>imagine the attraction to overcooked, mushy gray
>beans?

What mushy grey beans, after cooking for two hours there'd be no discernable
beans.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Victor Sack

Phred > wrote:

> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)

Here is a recipe for mussel salad with green beans which I like. It is
unusual, but is in keeping with the season, at least here in the
northern hemisphere (it seems you are posting from Down Under, but I
just can't resist...). The recipe is from _The Lutèce Cookbook_ by
André Soltner.

Victor

Salade de Moules aux Haricots Verts
Mussel Salad with Green Beans

Serves 4

salt
1 pound string beans, trimmed
1 tomato
1 1/2 pounds mussels
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Vinaigrette (see below)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

1. Bring 2 quarts of salted water to the boil, add the string beans,
and cook until tender - about 4 minutes. Drain the beans and plunge
them into ice water to cool them. Drain them again and set them aside.

2. Cut a conical plug from the stem end of the tomato and discard.
Blanche the tomato in boiling water for 10 seconds, drain it under cold
water and peel off the skin. Cut the tomato in half, squeeze out and
discard the juice and seeds, and chop the pulp in 1/4-inch cubes.

3. Squeeze each mussel in your hand, pushing the top and bottom of the
shelf in opposite directions, and discard those that open. Scrub the
mussels to remove the beards, and wash them in 2 or 3 changes of water.

4. In a large pot, melt the butter. Add half the chopped shallots and
sauté them lightly for 2 minutes. Add the mussels and the wine, and
cook, covered, over high heat until the mussels open - about 3 minutes.

5. Remove the mussels from the shells. Remove the small tough membrane
from each of the mussel meats. In a bowl, mix the string beans,
mussels, diced tomato, and the remainder of the shallots with the
Vinaigrette.

6. Serve sprinkled with the chopped parsley.

Vinaigrette
Basic Vinaigrette

Yield: 1 cup

1 ample tablespoon chopped onion
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup vinegar, tarragon vinegar preferred
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground
2 drops Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup peanut oil (or another salad oil)

1. In a bowl, crush the chopped onion to a purée with a fork. Add the
mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, and Tabasco, and whisk until blended.

2. Beat the oils gradually. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Note: This vinaigrette may be prepared in advance. But, if it is, omit
the onion. Just before serving, add the onion. Then thoroughly mix
again.
CJB

previously in rfc, Goomba38 > wrote:

> The Wolf wrote:
> Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
>> Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
>> reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
>> from the heat and reseason if necessary.

> If you're going to cook the life out of the fresh
> beans anyway... why not just open a can? I can't
> imagine the attraction to overcooked, mushy gray
> beans?
> Goomba

My Sicilian grandmother cooked green beans with onions and olive oil for a
long time in a frying pan on low heat until both caramelized and really
melted in your mouth. My mom's been trying to duplicate her technique for
over thirty years (grandma died in the 60's). I haven't given it a whirl
yet, but it's supposed to be fantastic and a family favorite from a
fabulous cook. (were there enough F's in that sentence?)

-Claudia
CJB

previously in rfc, Goomba38 > wrote:

> The Wolf wrote:
> Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
>> Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
>> reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
>> from the heat and reseason if necessary.

> If you're going to cook the life out of the fresh
> beans anyway... why not just open a can? I can't
> imagine the attraction to overcooked, mushy gray
> beans?
> Goomba

My Sicilian grandmother cooked green beans with onions and olive oil for a
long time in a frying pan on low heat until both caramelized and really
melted in your mouth. My mom's been trying to duplicate her technique for
over thirty years (grandma died in the 60's). I haven't given it a whirl
yet, but it's supposed to be fantastic and a family favorite from a
fabulous cook. (were there enough F's in that sentence?)

-Claudia
Gregory Morrow

Goomba38 wrote:

> The Wolf wrote:
> Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
> > Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
> > reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
> > from the heat and reseason if necessary.

> If you're going to cook the life out of the fresh
> beans anyway... why not just open a can? I can't
> imagine the attraction to overcooked, mushy gray
> beans?

Da Wolf is tawkin' Southron - style green beans. They're a favorite of
mine. I've cooked green beans for well more than six hours (initial high
heat followed by a slooooow simmer) at a stretch, they are *ambrosial*.
Think "soul food"...

Normally I like my green beans nice and crisp, but the above - mentioned
style are great "comfort food"...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Phred wrote:

> G'day mates,
>
> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)
>
> Had a bit of a google, but there seem to be around 350,000
> possibilities for "recipe fresh green beans", so I thought it would be
> nice to ask this group for "favo[u]rites". I can almost taste a dish
> based on various combinations of beans with bacon, tomatoes,
> mushrooms, etc. -- but I can't quite put my finger on the defining
> ingredient(s). Help!

A favorite and very simple (it's an ostensibly Vietnamese recipe via Madhur
Jaffrey). Roughly:

- start to stir fry some ground pork in a wok/skillet

- add whilst the pork is frying: soy or fish sauce, garlic, diced hot
peppers (Thai bird peppers, even red bell peppers will work fine), some
brown sugar

- add green beans and cover (you may want to add some more liquid, e.g.
broth or water) until done. Serve as is or over rice

- You can alter this recipe by using differents meats, fish , tofu,
vegetables, whatever...it's just about as simple a recipe as can be. The
combination of hot pepper and sweet brown sugar makes for a nice taste
contrast...

NOTE: I like to use Chinese long ("snake") beans with this, too...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Phred wrote:

> G'day mates,
>
> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)
>
> Had a bit of a google, but there seem to be around 350,000
> possibilities for "recipe fresh green beans", so I thought it would be
> nice to ask this group for "favo[u]rites". I can almost taste a dish
> based on various combinations of beans with bacon, tomatoes,
> mushrooms, etc. -- but I can't quite put my finger on the defining
> ingredient(s). Help!

A favorite and very simple (it's an ostensibly Vietnamese recipe via Madhur
Jaffrey). Roughly:

- start to stir fry some ground pork in a wok/skillet

- add whilst the pork is frying: soy or fish sauce, garlic, diced hot
peppers (Thai bird peppers, even red bell peppers will work fine), some
brown sugar

- add green beans and cover (you may want to add some more liquid, e.g.
broth or water) until done. Serve as is or over rice

- You can alter this recipe by using differents meats, fish , tofu,
vegetables, whatever...it's just about as simple a recipe as can be. The
combination of hot pepper and sweet brown sugar makes for a nice taste
contrast...

NOTE: I like to use Chinese long ("snake") beans with this, too...

--
Best
Greg

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:32:40 GMT, (Phred)
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>G'day mates,
>
>The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
>beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
>their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>
>Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
>Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)

Family and guests always gives rave reviews to the following:

Title: Green Beans With Roasted Onions
Categories: vegetables
Yield: 12 servings

Non-stick vegetable spray
6 md onions; peeled, cut into quarters
6 tb butter
2 c chicken broth
3 tb sugar
2 tb red wine vinegar
3 lb green beans

Preheat 450F. Spray 2 heavy large baking sheets with vegetable oil
spray.
Arrange onions in single layer on prepared sheets. Dot onions with 4
tablespoons butter, dividing equally. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake
until onions are dark brown on bottom, about 35 mins.

Meanwhile, boil broth in heavy large skilet over high heat until
reduced to
1/2 cup, about 6 mins. Ad sugar and vinegar and whisk until sugar
dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.

Add onions to sauce; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until liquid is
slightly reduced, about 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be
prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat
before
continuing.)

Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until
crisp-tender,
about 5 mins. Drain well. Return beans to same pot. Add remaining 2
tablespoons butter and toss to coat. Mount beans in large, shallow
bowl.
Top with onion mixture and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Just what kind of jackassery do I have to put up with today?" Danae
in "Non Sequitur"

sethra

"Matt" > wrote in news:ckmalu$i18
@dispatch.concentric.net:

> "Phred" > wrote in message
>> G'day mates,
>>
>> The local minor supermarket has had reasonable quality fresh green
>> beans on special this week. (Usually beans on special are pretty past
>> their prime; but this lot seems to be okay.)
>>
>> Question is, what is a good way to handle a surfeit of beans?
>> Something a bit beyond boiling or steaming would be nice. :-)

> Saute in sesame oil and then splash with soy sauce. Yummy.
>
> -Matt

Indeed, but don't forget the minced garlic and green onion!

--
~sethra

Fresh Lima Beans koko General Cooking 49 24-09-2014 04:20 AM
Fresh broad beans David Hare-Scott General Cooking 8 09-09-2006 03:01 AM
Green Bean Casserole Suggestions Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 5 30-11-2005 04:14 PM
Uncooked/Raw/Green Puerh suggestions Blues Lyne Tea 11 25-01-2005 03:24 PM
Storing Fresh Green Beans levelwave General Cooking 30 29-11-2003 11:56 PM