The Wolf

Phred > wrote:

My favorite:
Country Green Beans and Ham

Vegetables

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ham shank, cut into 1-inch pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
Salt
3 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
Water

In a large saucepan, with a lid, over medium heat, add the oil. Season
the ham with black pepper. Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes on each
side. Remove and set aside. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper.
Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the reserved ham and beans back to the pan.
Cover the beans completely with water. Bring the liquid to a boil,
reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove
from the heat and reseason if necessary.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings